From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows Stability
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 19:56:36 GMT

"Andres Soolo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93ppe9$1b7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Nik Simpson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> they made a stable OS.  How can it be stable if "service packs"
> >> can cause a system instability?
> > Service packs replace parts of the OS, of course they can cause instability,
> > only a fool would think otherwise.
> If so, the service pack *are* parts of the OS.  Are you saying that
> parts of MSW are instable?

Is Linux perfectly stable?

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 19:59:30 GMT

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Suse has been shipping reiser for several versions now.
> > >
> > > So, what would that be, at least a year?
> >
> > Ah... so the falacy comes to light.
> >
> > ReiserFS itself isn't shipping. It's still in beta, and it's
> > still not stable.
> >
> > Suse, however, has been including the beta version in its
> > distributions for people to mess with, but it's, in no way,
> > the default FS because, of course, it's not stable.
> >
> > Why don't you just tell the truth, J Sloan?
>
> Perhaps your time would be better spent finding cases in which
> ReiserFS fell over in the last 9 months (if you can).

Why isn't it the default OS on all distributions if it is
so much superior to ext2fs, and it's stable, as you claim?

-Chad

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake 7.2 and the banana peel
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 20:25:07 +0000

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> > I just rebuilt my 166MHz server with a 30GByte ATA66 drive and an ATA100
> > controller. I reinstalled Linux Mandrake 7.2, chose some options and
>
> Why the fuck did you reinstall, shit-for-brains?

Because, oh dweeb, the original boot disk was removed.

What I'm finding is that Linux Mandrake installer has a few funnies in it -
meaning things get installed differently or don't work at all.

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: One case where Linux has the edge
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 20:30:48 +0000

Well, this is a surprise!

My rebuilt 166MHz PC has a new 30GByte drive, a ATA100 controller and a new
CDRW.

MSDOS cannot see the CDRW. The ATAPI driver can't see it, neither can the
device specific driver. It would seem that because the controller is
appearing after the motherboard IDE, it's not seen (despite the fact I
disabled the mobo IDE in its BIOS).

Linux, on the other hand, happily saw the controller, the CDRW and
installed.

Now to see if it can burn CDR's!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Linux is not UNIX(tm)
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 20:32:29 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Erik Funkenbusch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 9 Jan 2001 14:18:37 -0600
<jhK66.585$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

[snip]

>Why do you suppose it is that Aaron is only capable of making stupid
>comments on other peoples facts (without snipping any irrelevant text),
>rather than coming up with logical, well thought out statements of his own?
>
>I'd wager that 90% of aaron's posts are one or two sentances with 100x more
>quoted material.

And I should care what Aaron does precisely why?

At least he shows intelligence, unlike some others who seem
to like to change their names every week in order to attempt
to sucker newbies into using The Better Operating System(tm),
with New Technology(tm), Real Network Transparency(tm), and
More Reliability Than Unix(tm). :-)

(Spot The Sarcasm)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- not to mention Lots Of Credibility(tm) :-)
                    The US gov't spends about $54,000/second.  I wish I could.

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does Win2k always fail in running time?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:32:51 +0100

Joseph T. Adams wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : "Mig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> : news:93o1ek$leb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> :> Well.. it sure looks like lots of the old MS faces are leaving the
> :> ship. The shares are down from near 120 to under 50 in about one
> :> year... i think the dumping started long ago.
>
> : The shares will go back up.  No matter what happens with the antitrust
> : trial, they will go up.  If they're split, existing shareholders will
> : get
> : shares in both companies, thus doubling their holdings.  If they stay
> : together, then confidence will remain and shares will go back up.
> : Either way, this is a short term situation.
>

> If you really believe that, then you have a great opportunity to
> profit by putting your money where your mouth is.

Maybe he can get some advice from Drestin.... He claimed to have bought
loads of MS stocks during the Linux craze.... Hmmm.. he's not here at the
moment.. maybe he had to sell his PC because of his losses.

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 21:34:10 +0100

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Andres Soolo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:93ppe9$1b7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Service packs replace parts of the OS, of course they can cause
> > > instability, only a fool would think otherwise.
> > If so, the service pack *are* parts of the OS.  Are you saying that
> > parts of MSW are instable?
>
> Is Linux perfectly stable?

Yes

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: you dumb. and lazy.
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:39:18 -0500

ono wrote:

> > You moron....
> > Linux doesn't have any "DLL Hell", ignorant twit.
> > Linux libraries are properly versioned, and successive versions of the
> > same library can be kept on the same system without conflict.
> And thats why linux suffers from bloat! Because every program comes with
> it's own statically linked version of the same shit. MS at least tried to do
> something.

Dumbshit.  Statically linked libraries were abandoned years ago.

> But you're right, dll versioning (even with) COM fails sometimes (but NEVER
> when you run MS only software).
> ok! it's not never...... it's nearly never.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:40:07 -0500

ono wrote:

> > WHAT?! Linux is totaly a Server OS. Notice how it comes with Apache (Web
> > Server), SendMail (Mail Server), Wu-FTP (FTP Server), TelnetD (Telnet
> > server), NameD (DNS Server), etc..  it's all about being a server.
> > Windows is a workstation OS.. and that's about the extent of what I want
> > use it for.
> Did you know that windows2000 comes with iis5. It's not installed by
> default, but you
> have it running with 2 mouse-clicks (and NO REBOOT). You should try that
> sometime.

too little
too late

so solly

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:45:37 -0500

ono wrote:

> > Did you know that windows2000 comes with iis5. It's not installed by
> > default, but you
> > have it running with 2 mouse-clicks (and NO REBOOT). You should try that
> > sometime.
> Ups.... sorry I didn't do my research propperly. It's more like 10
> mouse-clicks (a wizard ;-)) and it does need a reboot.
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Only a LoseDOS retard thinks of this as any sort of accomplishment.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:43:46 -0600

"sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93q4j9$poc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I always like how people like this continualy claim to have problems
> with Linux but when I review his posting history on Deja, not a single
> post to a technical news group. Seems very odd to me.

My personal opinion is that if I can't find a solution in Deja, then it's
highly unlikely that posting will solve the problem.

On top of that, I want a solution now, not in several hours, so i'd rather
spend the time in search engines.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:46:47 -0600

"Russ Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> So massage the data. It isn't that difficult and can be done as the file
> is loaded. Either that or change the name and quit calling your Apple
> application Excel. If it is Excel and is *.xls, it should be readable by
> Excel everywhere. Or one of the products isn't Excel.
> The real truth is that Excel for the PC is so tied to the PC that MS
> couldn't port it. So they wrote another product that had a UI similar to
> Excel and called it Excel even though it isn't.

Uhh.. you are aware that Excel was first developed for the Mac and then
ported the PC, right?

So much for your theory.

> >Why would a
> > native Mac word document store it's data in PC format when such
> > interchangeability is not necessary very often (especially not when the
file
> > formats were created 10 years ago).
> So cross platform, per you and MS, means the user interface looks the
> same, but you can't transfer documents or files between platforms? I
> love this. Word is cross platform because MS makes a version for both
> PCs and Macs. Just don't try to exchange *.doc or *.xls files!

You can transfer files between them, you just use a converter.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The real truth about NT
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:49:10 -0600

"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
> > "Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Well, just to try out if my SCSI-only system would stand the strain, I
> > > did exactly that -- I made a CD AND did a kernel recompile while at
the
> > > same time browsing the net.
> >
> > The key word here is SCSI.  Most people burn IDE CD-R's (and those are
the
> > ones they burn coasters on when heavy disk activity causes them to get a
> > buffer underrun)
> >
> It's not. The same system once had  NT4 installed. Doing anything similar
> on NT would ALWAYS result in a badly toasted CD. Just TRY to tell the
truth
> sometimes, it does not hurt

If that's the case, you probably had your SCSI card configured wrong so that
it didn't disconnect devices when needed.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:50:22 -0600

"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
> > "Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > connecting
> > > >
> > > Sure, Windows would do that MUCH faster.
> > > And what if I live in a city and have DSL (which I have).
> > > This is at least 40 times as fast as your scenario above.
> > > But even then, windows will fail
> >
> > DSL is not a dialup modem.  The point was that it's really not feasible
> > install Linux over a dialup modem.
> >
> Are you really that dense?
> DSL can be like a Modem in any way you like, including need to connect,
> getting new IP every time, all that.
> DSL is for a new system to be installed in EVERY respect like a modem,
only
> faster. The system does not know what kind of hardware is making the
> connection and it should not. It should be just as transparent as it is.
> Accept that windows just can't do this, linux can, and thats it.

What the hell are you talking about?  I'm talking about how *LONG* it takes
to download, you're talking about hardware.  Try sticking to the same
subject.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 15:51:19 -0600

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Even a basic Linux machine will be at least 300 Meg, so that's over 27
> >> hours, or more than a day.  Not "overnight".
>
> A "minimal" install of Caldera eDesktop is about 120 MB, IIRC.  Includes
> X but not many apps.  A custom install can be smaller than that, esp if
> you get rid of the X servers.

Why would you do that for some farmer that has never used Linux?

------------------------------

From: "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I am trying Linux out for the first time.
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 08:57:11 +1100

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:_YK76.1170$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > But they ALSO don't want to have to bluescreen and reboot at
> > unpredictable and frequent intervals;
>
> That's bullshit.  Most people don't have frequent bluescreens under Win9x.
> Unpredictable, perhaps, but then how predictable is a kernel panic?

No, *that's* bullshit. I had a freaking BSoD this morning when I booted this
box up. It hadn't even finished booting (take two was more sucessful). BTW,
I find Windows crashes/freezes/BSoDs very regular: every 4 hours. I'm glad
I've got LM7.2 working on the other partition, it won't take me much to
switch over full time (damn games...).

> The reason (and it is quite defensible) is that it is the easiest and
> cheapest solution.  30 minutes and your system is back and running, while
> you might otherwise spend hours figuring out the problem otherwise.

30 minutes for a Windows reinstall? Hmmm, 2h for Win98SE, another 1.5h for
IE5.5, half an hour for FS98, .75h for drivers, plus another 4 for 5 hours
for actual applications (C++Builder, Delphi, JBuilder, StarOffice, Word
Viewer, Acrobat, graphics software for my scanner, etc), plus another hour
to get my usual complement of GNU software (DJGPP, Bash, fileutils,
shellutils, Emacs). That's about 10 hours.

> > Linux and Windows both have problems, but the problems of Linux are
> > solvable and in fact are being solved rapidly, whereas neither appears
> > to be true of Windows.
>
> 7 years is rapidly?

WTF?

> > Many desktop-oriented Linux apps may seem immature compared to their
> > Windows counterparts, but, compared to those same apps at a similar
> > point in time after their release, they look an awful lot better to
> > me, and they're improving far more rapidly as well.
>
> I don't really see that.  How long was KDE2 in development?  2+ years?
The
> problem with open source is that everyone wants to be implementing the
> latest whiz bang feature, but doesn't want to do maintenance unless it's
> serious problem.  That leaves thousands of tiny issues that nobody finds
> "sexy" enough to fix, but all give a bad user experience.

That's not true. The big things get fixed quicxkly because they are more
important. That said, most problems get sorted soon enough, because almost
every problem is interesting/easy to someone.

> There goes the "Linux isn't competition for Windows" theory.

Windows will be dead before we know it.

--Chris
The desktop metaphor sucks.

------------------------------

From: "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Good read from ZDnet
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 09:04:33 +1100

"sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93pvva$m8k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> http://www.zdnet.com/enterprise/stories/main/0,10228,2673376,00.html

Definitely. Thanks!

--Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lewis Miller)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: 13 Jan 2001 22:01:03 GMT

ono was heard ranting about <93q0jg$c45$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in
alt.linux.sux on 13 Jan 2001

>> WHAT?! Linux is totaly a Server OS. Notice how it comes with Apache (Web
>> Server), SendMail (Mail Server), Wu-FTP (FTP Server), TelnetD (Telnet
>> server), NameD (DNS Server), etc..  it's all about being a server.
>> Windows is a workstation OS.. and that's about the extent of what I want
>> to use it for.
>Did you know that windows2000 comes with iis5. It's not installed by
>default, but you
>have it running with 2 mouse-clicks (and NO REBOOT). You should try that
>sometime.

Yes, I'm running Windows 2000, on my workstation. It's fine for the
workstation. IIS5 is bloated and not that great. Go pick up Notes if you
want to pay for software.

--
l8r
-LJM

a.k.a. Jaster Mereel
a.k.a. MrBobaFett

"Little things used to mean so much to Shelly. I used to think
  they were kind of trivial.  Believe me, nothing's trivial. "
    -- Eric Draven, The Crow