From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:24:02 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <CSf86.32$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >about

> >at
> >Even
> >or
> >>
> >> Total Bullcrap EF.  They do!
> >>
> >> 56 K hot and read and the fiber line is just 2 miles away.
> >
> >Ok charlie, you've just completely shot your credibility on this story (your
> >credibility is shot anyways, but on this story you're lying).
> >
> >56K doesn't work with fiber lines.  56K works only on copper connected
> >directly to a CO because it takes advantage of the lack of analog to digital
> >conversion.  If you've got fiber between you and the CO, you get multiple
> >A/D conversions and it totally screws your ability to get more than 33.6.
> >
> >> And YES overnight.  Believe it bad boy.
> >
> >Liar.
> >

> Wow your desperate.
>
> Okay, 56 K modem tied to twisted pair which leads just 2 miles to a SWB
> fiber trunkhouse they put in.  All of the Central States have fiber just
> a couple of miles away now.
>
> What new length will you go to to achieve WEENIEDOM this time EF?

He's putting it in a miniature guillotine right now..

> Charlie

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel space? Who gives a @#$%
Date: 15 Jan 2001 16:27:32 -0600

"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Conrad Rutherford wrote:
>

> > and the point is?
> >
> > two nearly identical machines and they produced results within 3% of
each
> > other - so much for the "obvious" superiority of linux smoking the
> > "bloated" GUI laden Windows...
> >

> What are you smoking?
> Two nearly "identical" machines? Are you mad?
> Reread what machines were used and then come back.

The ONLY difference is 15K rpm speed for some of the drives on the W2K
server, everything else was exactly identical - reread yourself.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: 15 Jan 2001 22:22:22 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:93u2n6$9ce$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> : Sure, show me a single counter-example of Linux displacing every copy of
:> : Windows on every desktop of the world.
:>
:> At least you could *pretend* to know basic logic.  Replacing all
:> of them is not necessary to make your claim false.  Do you know what
:> the word "can" actually means?  It doesn't have to imply "likely".
:> Linux *CAN* replace Windows, but it isn't *LIKELY*.  Can you see
:> the difference?

: Fine, I'll reword it just for you.  Linux cannot replace Windows as the
: major OS of choice today.

: Happy?

No, you still didn't correct the problem.  Something can be capable
of happening even if it won't.  See the difference?  I CAN replace
my Jeep with a different vehicle and it would suit me just fine,
but I'm not going to any time soon since my Jeep still works good
enough for me.  X *can* replace Y, and X *will* replace Y are two
totally different things - the first is a necessary but not
sufficient condition for the second.  Therefore if you can show
that the second is false, that does not have to imply that the
first is false.  This is basic logic.  For most humans it's obvious.

:> :> That's why it's a pretty
:> :> stupid idea to make such a sweeping generalization in an
:> :> argument.  All it takes is a single example of someone replacing
:> :> Windows with Linux, and the statement "Linux cannot replace Windows"
:> :> becomes false.  Go read the press releases for the last few years.
:> :> While there aren't a *large* number of these examples, there are some,
:> :> and all it takes is one single example to make your claim false.
:>
:> : No, I used the words Linux and Windows as a collective, not as an
:> : individual.  If I had said what you claim, I would have said "A linux
:> : install can't replace a windows install" or something similar.
:>
:> Okay, so what you said was a totally pointless statement because it
:> would have been true for any two things you pick, thanks for
:> clearing that up.  Using words the way tou did, "The automobile
:> cannot replace the horse and buggy" - Why? well there still exist
:> some horse & buggies out there used by the Amish, and apparently
:> by your logic unless each and every horse and buggy is going to be
:> replaced by an automobile, it's okay to say it "cannot" happen.

: It has happened, Buggies are such a tiny minority today that they are
: statistically inconsequential.

You previously said "all", not "most".  If nothing else, I've managed
to get you to relax your claim into something a bit more sane, even
if you won't admit that you are actually changing your stance.

: But, thanks for proving my point.  Since there is no plural for Linux or
: Windows, your phrasing used here is identical to my original phrasing.

And this, class, is what is known as a non-sequitor.  I can't argue
for or against a point where the link from premise to conclusion isn't
even stated - what the hell is the connection between the plurality of
the word and the argument at hand?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:30:32 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> Fine.
>
> 1. K-mart doing business with Martha Stewart, and you say the corporate
> level staff isn't as dumb as the K-mart clientele?

What does that have to do with the people in the I.T. department?

> 2. I happen to believe that the controlling powers of K-mart are a bunch of
> sadistic, commie, neo-nazi, subversionists.  Got a problem with it?

Yet another demonstration that Kyle Jacob's beliefs are heavily
influenced by the abuse of psychoactive drugs.

> [...]
> little
> > > idealistic to you?  It does to me.

> helpdesk
> > >
> > > Bad idea using white-trash mart as an example in this matter.
> KKK-mart's
> >
> > Clue for the fucking clueless:
> >
> > Just because a lot of Kmart customers are uneducated does NOT mean that
> > the people who work at Headquarters are the same.
> >
> > Quite the opposite, in fact.
> >
> > And what's the KKK shit about?
> >
> > Are you making an accusation?  If so, then come out with it, ASSHOLE.
> >

> > > internet (and most of their computer systems) strat is quite new, and
> was
> > > only instituted at the demand of their very pissed off stockholders.
> > > Although this example shows REAL computing in action, they're computer
> > > systems are quite recent.

> > > Because Windows allows people who truly have better things to do than
> get a
> > > major in CS to use a computer.  UNIX on the desktop (when instituted
> > > properly) would have the same problem if it were a noticeable majority
> of
> > > workstation machines (like Windows is).
> > >
> > > Simply put, it's a math problem.  The scale of UNIX systems is generally
> > > smaller, whereas Windows workstations are commonplace.
> > >
> > > If the reverse was true, your logic would also follow (as a
> generalization).
> > >
> > > Of course, if your experience would venture outside the realm of GM's
> > > computer needs, and what you hear from your IT friends at KKKmart, you
> would
> > > know this.
> >

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >

> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
> >
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
> >
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:30:00 GMT

> Well, I don't plan to second-guess, or even have to double-check, any
> consumers, no matter how braindead, but I would suspect that they would
> consider Mandrake at fault.  I can't see a reason in the world why they
> would consider Linux at fault, unless
> a) they were aware that Mandrake was Linux, which isn't necessary at all
> b) they weren't aware that the problem doesn't occur in other Linux, but
> only on Mandrake.

Except the problems found commonly in Mandrake are common (or relitively so)
in OTHER distro's as well.  It's a LINUX wide problem being so damn hard to
configure, install software with, and just generally manage.  Software
companies ARE working on the problem, but damnit, what's the point in
releasing version after version of nothing but minor bugfixes (or even major
security holes) when the UNDERLYING problem still exists?  Isn't this what
you keep lambasting Microsoft for?

> No, its an application barrier.  That's going away, very soon.  The
> market itself will probably have it completely dismantled by next year.

Really?  Last I checked, Adobe still owned the rights to Photoshop.  They
COULD port Photoshop to the Linux/UNIX platform (and send The GIMP into The
TOILET) in a heartbeat.  But they don't want to.  Hmm, it is that little
liscense snafu involving opening up the source code to do so?

> No, everybody doing 'design' did a typical job (some great, some good,
> some mediocre), what matters to the end result is that Microsoft has
> been breaking the law for more than ten years, at least, and that is the
> *ONLY* reason, so far as anyone can tell or know, that the application
> barrier exists in support of a monopoly.  It doesn't have squat to do
> with the applications themselves.  (Natural market forces, I think,
> would simply synchronize the OS and apps markets, so you'd use the OS
> that was best for the kind of apps you most needed, though there's
> reason to believe that wouldn't last long, since Linux can probably
> replace all the various OSes without sacrificing enough to make it
> inefficient, either economically or technically.)

Except that what no Linux programmer seems to be willing to admit is the
fact that Linux, it's various interfaces and it's programs all have hideous
UI's, and only reproduce a fraction of what their better looking, and more
functional Windows counterparts do.

------------------------------

From: "Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 15 Jan 2001 16:34:15 -0600

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jan Johanson wrote:
> [snipped]
>
> You know, this whole benchmark silliness is too much to take. And yes I
> said this before, during and after the stupid Mindcraft bit.
<snip yawner>

> The side that makes Linux or FreeBSD the clear winner is ssh and UNIX
> remote capability. One can do anything remotely to a UNIX box that they
> can do sitting in front of it. This is not true with NT/2K without
> buying extra software on top of the already too expensive buggy OS.

Obviously you are not up on NT software. I have been able to remotely
administer NT 4 since day 1, sure with add on software at first and later
using simple remote admin http and RPC tools. Simplicity. With Windows 2000
I can use all of those, any 3rd party tool or I can use the built in
terminal services administrator mode and have a full remote session,
identical to the desktop in every single way.

your bias blinds you...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:33:23 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > AutoCAD is 2nd-rate software, acceptable only by people who are
> > satisfied with 2nd-rate platforms (M$) that it runs on.
>
> I wouldn't tell AutoDesk software this.  Last I checked they hold the
> highest quality for professional CAD software on the market.  But I left
> engineering a long time ago.
>
> > AutoCAD is a 2-Dimensional CAD system.  It's ok for designing cabinets
> > and houses, but completely UN-suitable for designing anything with moving
> parts.
> > Especially oddly shaped parts like crank shafts.
>
> Suitability is not the point of this post, it was the fact that AutoDesk's
> AutoCAD software had become synonymous with engineering in general.

No, it is not.

AutoCAD is a 2-D package, suitable only for designing trivial things like cabinets.

Walk into ANY automotive or aerospace supplier and mention AutoCAD....
Better put in your ear plugs so that the roar of laughter doesn't deafen you.

> > Corollary:  AutoCAD is good as a cheap LEARNING tool.
>
> Ok...
>
> > I have YEARS of experience supporting such environments.
> > You don't.
>
> Oh darn.  You got me.  I don't work with mechanical engineers.

That's because you're still in junior high school.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:33:25 GMT

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93vdji$3et$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> So what?  Who wants to take over the world?

Aparently, your spokespeople at Linux.com

> Let the idiots wallow in their own ineptitude.  They seem to prefer
> it that way anyhow, right claire?

Except for one small problem, you call everyone who can't recompile their
Kernel five minutes after booting the damn OS an idiot.  And you guys are
the first place where newbies turn for help.

TRANSLATION= You all suck at tech support, and have the gall to call the
people you've been insulting for years idiots.

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Who LOVES Linux again?
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 22:34:44 GMT

Mozilla is SO bloated, and sluggish.  And looks almost as bad as the new
Netscape.  If not, worse.

If this is the "benefit" of open source, I think it's time to give it up
now.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:28:13 +0200

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ayende Rahien
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 15 Jan 2001 04:27:36 +0200
> <93tnu9$8ka$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >"Interconnect" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:93tk7a$f4o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> If I wrote a BAD piece of software that forced Windows or Linux to hang
> >does
> >> that make the OS unstable?
> >> A. No.
> >
> >B. Yes. The OS should prevent a user-class application from making the
> >system unstable.
>
> Ditto for driver-level stuff; it should only crash the portion of the
> kernel dealing with the driver, not the rest of the system (unless
> it's a video driver, and even then, the system should stay up,
> although the user might not be able to get in :-) ).

That I would consider favorable, but it's going too far, IMO.
Drivers talks to raw hardware, therefor, they need to run in kernel space,
therefor, I find it hard to believe that you can write some scheme to
protect any OS from bad drivers.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2001 17:38:36 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> And only you would find fault in such a simplistic process.

Reboot = downtime

Downtime = unavailable system, NOT suitable for business work.

Is ANY of this getting through to you, shithead

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> that
> > > Ups.... sorry I didn't do my research propperly. It's more like 10
> > > mouse-clicks (a wizard ;-)) and it does need a reboot.
> >                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Only a LoseDOS retard thinks of this as any sort of accomplishment.
> >

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >

> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
> >
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
> >
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.