  Re: What really burns the Winvocates here...

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:21:11 +0200

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> ono wrote:
> >
> > btw: With W2K you can run a webserver while playing a DirectX game.
Thats
> > what I call 'really' using a computer! W2K downtime is most likely
caused by
> > performance-freaks installing the newest GeForce beta drivers ;-).
>
> The question is, can W2K play an MP3 file without breaking up, while
> compiling a Borland C++ project?

Why not?

I've just put some serious stress to 2K, this include rendering a big 3D
image, hot swapping old HDs and checking them for errors, all the while I
was surfing the net, being a print server (not very busy, as the printer I'm
using is a 4 years old HP deskjet 660C), surfing the net, accepting some
*big* files from a friend via FTP, answering emails, watching a DVD movie
(the Labyrinath(sp?) with DB, great movie, wonderful music), backing up some
data, finding out that I still have a Zip drive and find out how to use it
on 2K, testing the few zip disks that I've left.

It's clean up time in here, been hecktic for days.
The *only* failure that I'd was when I plugged in a faulty HD, it cut the
power to the computer, and the computer would refuse to turn on unless I
took the HD out.
Luckily I was done with the rendering, so I didn't had to do it all over
again.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: 18 Jan 2001 23:13:53 GMT

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:11:00 GMT, Roberto Alsina wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Pretty much. It has its quirks (like using indentation to control
>flow) that drive some people nuts (hey, we are supposed to indent anyway! ;-)

I don't think that's a bad thing, in fact for beginners, it's probably a
good thing if the interpreter slaps them when they don't indent properly.
(I have students turning in code that just looks like cr*p because they
have no idea how to indent)

>I can't quite imagine how to do private methods. Then again they are

You can use closures. Suffice it to say that this is enough work that
the ease-of-use benefits go out the window and you may as well use C++.

>not really possible in python either.

Pythons "private" methods are IMO effective enough to defend against
all but a willful saboteur. You have to go out of your way to break
the system in python. OTOH, in perl (for example), one can accidently
stomp on private data and/or methods (namely when they write derived
classes).

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: NT is Most Vulnerable Server Software
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:10:20 +0200

> >> From the January 17 SANS NewsBites:
> >>
> >>  --11 January 2001  NT is Most Vulnerable Server Software
> >> A survey posted on Attrition.org ranks Windows NT as the most
vulnerable
> >> to crackers, garnering nearly 60% of December defacements.  Microsoft
> >> may be targeted because it is so widely known, or because it has a
> >> reputation for hurrying the release of applications, which suggests
that
> >> security might take a back seat.
> >> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-4449902.html
> >
> > Kind of ironic, consider the RameN crew worm that's loose on Red Hat
Linux
> > 6.2 and 7.0 machines throughout the internet.
> >
> > In any event, all it takes is one vulnerability and you can make the top
of
> > the list as well, as Red Hat is finding out.
>
> Yes it is kind of ironic. It is exploiting known bugs in 2 or 3
applications.
> These bugs have been fixed a long time ago. Just goes to show that many
> people don't update their software when security bugs are found. Oops,
didn't
> Microsoft just suffer the same thing .. twice from the same guy? At least
> this worm isn't costing billions to companies worldwide. If Microsoft
can't
> protect themselves from known bugs in their own software why are you
surprised
> that normal redhat users are in the same boat? Archsloch.

Didn't Slackware had the same problem?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:10:42 +0200

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-201-4508359-0.html?tag=st.ne.1002.thed.sf

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Erick Andrews)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip,alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps
Subject: Re: Ed is the standard editor
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:23:22 -0000

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:29:44, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marc L. Cohen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >And considering that when I first used ed, the standard interface was a
> >Teletype terminal, not only powerful, but efficient.
>
> An ASR-33 ? No carpal tunnel with *that* baby ! wham ! wham ! wham !
> on each key, slow and deliberate, and watch the cheesy yellow paper to
> make sure you hit each one hard enough. Mistake ? Uh-oh, backspace,
> backspace, wham ! null character, holes across all eight rows ... at least
> it wasn't a Flexowriter. All these modern pansy editors that make correcting
> so easy ... (remember going to school in the snow with barbed wire
> wrapped around your bare feet for traction ?   :-)

Hey, wait a minute!  What's wrong with a Flexowriter?  Geez, 90 volt DC relays
so you could "programmatically" punch null characters...in *pink* paper tape!

Ah, and the type basket with type bars, and that wonderful escape mechanism
with the magnetically-activated, asbestos fiber clutch that yanked that carriage

home [whack!] when you just *touched* the RETURN key.

Let me tell you, *forming* (NOT BENDING) those type bars is an art form that
that even a Picasso, Rembrandt, or Renoir would have had trouble with, unless
he spent many months schooling on this mechanical wonder.  And to do it
with U.S. Gummint typeface, like I did for the State Dept., U.S. Passports
became my work of art.

And state-of-the-art then, too!  [for the Gummint, anyway]

--
Best,
Erick Andrews

From: James Thornton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NEW: Richard Stallman's speech on FSM & GNU/Linux
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:15:27 GMT

In article <945jok$44t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  James Thornton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> FYI: ArsDigita University made a RA streaming video of Richard
> Stallman's speech on the Free Software Movement and the GNU/Linux
> Operating System that he gave at ArsDigita University earlier this
> month.

Here's the link...
http://aduni.org/video/01-02-01Colloq1.ram

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:33:21 GMT

Said chrisv in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:27:04 GMT;
>T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Its not a double standard.  Just a single consistent standard: compete.
>>The difference is, its the customers clambering for updates, not the
>>monopoly trying to force them.  ;-)
>
>Heh.  Different, certainly.  Better, I'm not so sure.

Well, its a good thing nobody asked for your opinion on the matter then.
The only ones who matter in that consideration are the consumers.  Which
is why to prevent unlawful monopolization, Microsoft will be split up
and restricted from locking OEMs in any more.

Yes, its much better when they clamber for updates because they want
more of the same stuff (good software) rather than less of it (fewer
problems).

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:39:59 GMT

Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 18 Jan 2001
14:11:00 GMT;
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Roberto Alsina wrote:
>>
>> > Indeed. That's why I usually suggest Python. It's OO, but it's not
>> > we-will-force-OOP-on-you-until-we-can-OOP-no-more OO.
>>
>> How about Perl's implementation of OOP?  Yipe!  Perl is great for a lot
>> of things, but IMO its idea of OO is pretty scary.  I've never tried
>> Python, but I've heard people say it can do the same stuff Perl can do.
>
>Pretty much. It has its quirks (like using indentation to control
>flow) that drive some people nuts (hey, we are supposed to indent anyway! ;-)

For clarity, though, not for syntax!  I was started to get a bit
intrigued by Python until you mentioned that.  Indents to control flow?
What a nightmare.  (For the novice, even more than the programmer.)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:40:01 GMT

Said Bob Hauck in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 18 Jan 2001 03:43:49
GMT;
>On Wed, 17 Jan 2001 02:34:48 GMT, Bones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>     On some line's 28.8K isn't attainable. Also, 28.8K is pretty
>>>     near the theoretical upperbound allowed for common copper
>>>     wiring and US FCC regulations.
>>
>>Well, I believe V.34 and V.34+ can go over the same wire with the same
>>signal level. The extra speed is gained by better data compression.
>
>Uh, no.  It is gained from going slightly outside the nominal frequency
>limits of the phone line.  On good lines this works.  On not-so-good
>lines it doesn't.  Everything faster than 14.4 supports some kind of
>compression, but that's not included in the rated speed.

You're just talking about two different uses of the term 'compression'.
The 'multiple bits per baud' is *signal compression*, the 'not included
in rated speed' is *data compression*, and either or both of you have
probably mistaken one of the terms for the other unknowingly in
receiving some of your information.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:48:15 -0000

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 17:38:46 -0500, WMH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>No, not really. This is what self proclaimed Unix administrators do.
>(when they're not burning porn to CD)

        What's so obsessive about it? It's no different than the various
        sites out there specifically dedicated to similar tweaks for
        WinDOS. He probably spent less time setting this up than the
        average WinNovice takes downloading and installing a single
        themepack.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake 7.2 and the banana peel
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:04:15 -0000

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:10:23 +0000, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> >The network configuration is in a bunch of tabbed dialogs all in the same
>> >place. And where may I ask are the Linux definitions. /etc/hosts is just
>>
>> NO, they are not.
>
>I'll answer you on this one.
>
>Take a good look a Windows 98 SE or Windows 2000. They're all in the same
>place, in a bunch of tabbed dialogs.
>
>TCP/IP address
>Gateway
>DNS
>
>etc.
>
>You do know what I'm talking about I take it?
>
>Or are you just a LIAR yourself?

        Nope. It's not there.

        It's accessed through Control Panel->System->Network Identification
                                                ->Properties.

>> Or, a bunch of tabbed dialogs.
>>
>> Can you possibly post something without lying through your teeth?
>
>What on earth are you on about?

        The control panel that has been in Redhat since 4.0 or earlier.

>It sounds to me like you have not a clue about how to configure networking
>on Windows.

        No, I've just actually RUN Windows 2000 and don't just ramble
        on about it cluelessly. You're not just ingorant about the OS
        you bash but about the one's you promote.

        Advanced TCP/IP Settings Has
                IP Settings - IP number list
                              Gateway List

                DNS - Nameserver list
                      Resolver configuration

                WINS - nameserver list
                       SMB host file configuration
                       netbios routing

                Options, IP Security - Toggle for IPSEC
                                       Several Policy choices
                Options, TCP/IP Filtering - port lists for udp/tcp
                                            protocol list for IP

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:06:08 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Chad Myers wrote:
> > >
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > When you're done with your adolescent ad homonim attacks, please
> > > post a URL for a c't article praising MS for something.
> > >

> > Do you honestly believe that MS can be praised for something, except for
> > an unattained ability to violate all the ethics of commerce?
>
> Hmm...
>
> - Windows 2000 has many advances that exceed many other OS (including
>   everything in Linux)
>
> - MS has one of the best security response time to discovered exploits.
>   Even better than Red Hat in most cases. And MS even tests their patches
>   and then does a full regression test each Service Pack, something
>   Red Hat doesn't do.
>
> - Active Directory Services is the most advanced directory service
>   architecture out there. It harnesses many open standards including
>   X.500, LDAPv3, SMTP, Kerbers v5, X.509 certificates, etc.
>
> Just to name a few off the top of my head.
>
> Oh yeah, not to mention the best all-around OS Windows 2000.
> We had some Oracle reps visit our company yesterday, and even they,
> who profess hatred of Microsoft, had laptops running Win2K using
> PowerPoint for presentations. Why? Because there's nothing out
> there that's as close to Win2K at stability, ease of use, and
> functionality.

Yes, and I'm the President of the USA.

It wouldn't be worth answering to such an asinine list of MS
advertisement, if it weren't for an amusing fact.

I posted some time ago a little story about a guy who came to my company
as a consultant, and was thrown out on the ground that he tried to show
us a Power Point presentation.
Well, the same guy went to his High School of Economics to attend the
ceremony to get his Ph.D. or MS or whatever, and the ceremony was
enlightened by a Power Point presentation of the High School
achievements (of course running under the latest Win2k version). But
unfortunately, the MTBF wasn't as long as the presentation, so that
Windows crashed, and they were forced to power off and on the computer.
He's learned a lesson, hopefully before it's too late. Will you?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: What really burns the Winvocates here...
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 00:08:00 -0000

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:05:08 +0000, Pete Goodwin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> >I never said "Linux sucks". I did say "Linux lags behind Windows
>> >(desktop)".
>>
>> You don't even know what that is.
>>
>> [deletia]
>>
>> You're just an ignorant liar.
>
>This is getting silly. You're another one of the Linux advocates who
>doesn't like it when someone threatens their precious little domain so you

        Nope. I just don't tolerat lies and slander very well.

        You can neither accruately describe Linux, nor can
        you accurately describe Win2k. Yet you continue to
        represent these ramblings as truthful and meaningful.

>fall to meaningless quips.
>
>I shall ignore you from now on. Of course, I'd killfile you, but KNode
>doesn't have that feature.

        You're probably wrong about that too.