From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Poor Linux
Date: 19 Jan 2001 02:38:52 GMT

Sauosol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Your quite right, and this is the one point that embarrasses me most
: about Linux.  It does not truly support the latest hardware and I'm
: afraid never will.

Linux supports all the hardware that's worth supporting.

Usually, "hardware" that isn't supported under Linux is defective in
that it does not come with published specifications.  I wouldn't want
to use such "hardware" even if it were supported.

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Oh look! A Linux virus!
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 02:26:11 GMT

In article <9469te$l63$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

A quote from the above website:

"The worm's strategy is not dissimilar to that employed
 by the 1988 Morris worm, the most successful
 self-propelled contagion to date.  But unlike the Morris
 worm, on every system Ramen penetrates, it promptly kills
 the service that allowed it to break in-thus preventing
 the kind of multiple infection that caused the Morris
 worm to grind infected computers into seizure."

And now, on to the Windoze-bashing and Linux promoting:

Can anyone name a Windoze virus which kindly
FIXES THE HOLE it came in through?

It probably still sucks for the administrator who has
to go in and permanently fix the problem that he should
have been foresighted enough to fix IN THE FIRST PLACE,
but at least the virus put a BIG RED FLAG on the
security hole for the administrator!

Windoze Virus: "HAHAHAHAHAHA! YOUR SYSTEM IS DEAD!
EAT CRAP YOU SUCKERS!  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Linux Virus: "Sorry old chap, I've infected your
system; here, let me help you *fix* the security
hole I used to infect your system."

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 02:43:45 GMT

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:39:59 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>For clarity, though, not for syntax!  I was started to get a bit
>intrigued by Python until you mentioned that.  Indents to control flow?
>What a nightmare.  (For the novice, even more than the programmer.)

You know, I thought so too when I first heard of Python.  But after
using it for some real projects I must say that it really doesn't get in
the way at all.  If you use an editor with auto-indent (even the simple
"indent to previous level" feature), it just isn't a big deal.

As a learning experience, I used Python to write an automated test
program for one of the products I helped develop.  It has a nice GUI
that displays illustrations of how to hook things up, runs a few dozen
tests (controlling the product and test equipment via serial ports),
shows test progress and status, and prints a report at the end.  Runs on
Unix or Windows.  About 2500 lines according to "wc" (includes comments
and blank lines), and done in two weeks including learning the language.
I was pleased.  Couldn't have written and debugged a paper procedure
much quicker.

After using it for a couple of other things and wrapping some C
libraries with SWIG, I've become a Python fan, oddities of syntax
notwithstanding.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lewis Miller)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux?
Date: 19 Jan 2001 02:53:23 GMT

 was heard ranting about <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in
 alt.linux.sux on 18 Jan 2001

>On 19 Jan 2001 01:34:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lewis Miller)
>wrote:
>

>>I admit I've reinstalled Win2k LESS than NT. But I've still redone
>>Win2k several times, including one time when Windows somehow lost
>>permissions to it's own files... ? How the fuck that happened I don't
>>know. Linux, I've installed..  I don't think I've ever reinstalled it,
>>except when totaly redoing a server.
>
>I had a friend who somehow munged the entire installation up and every
>time he re booted it would say "saving settings", "loading settings"
>and go round and round and round.
>Could not fix it either with emergency disk or boot floppies and
>recovery console.
>Only time I have ever seen a re-install though.

yeah Windows always comes up with something fun like that. Like how I check
do not show this reminder again, every time I reboot when it want's me to
register my video driver..  ah well it's a bug I'll live with for now.

>>And this is a GOOD thing?  Sorry I would say this is a bad thing. Not
>>having to know anything, is promoting ignorance.  and ignorance should
>>be a punishable crime. Knowledge is power is more than a tag line, it's
>>a fact. Be a student for life, always learn. Every good teacher is so,
>>because they are also a good student.
>
>I agree it "IS" a bad thing, but you know something Lewis, I have
>given up long ago trying to keep track of what is where, what changed
>and where my system actually "is" anymore.
>
>I used to tweak Qemm or Bluemax, my Autoexec/confi.sys files and so
>forth. I was the guy who got 630k of free memory so I could run F19 by
>Microprose without a custom boot disk.
>
>Those days are gone, for better or worse.

No they're not. Try working in the IT dept of a College.

>I haven't got a clue as to what is where and with the exception of my
>data I don't care.
>
>I wish that I could have control of this, but software and operating
>systems have just gotten so complex, that I prefer to concentrate on
>my applications instead of screwing around with an os.
>Isn't that what computing is all about?
>Making life easier?

No. Computers are about power at some point. The most powerfull tool is one
of two things
Either the simplest machine, or the most complex. The simplest is
powerfull, but in only one thing. The more complex is powerfull but in more
areas. And is customizable into smaller tools.
Windows is simple, but not as powerfull. That's fine for an end user, but
you know what, an end user isn't even worried about the installer. That
would be too complex for them.  They just get the machine on their desk and
mimic the actions they were taught in their training classes. Heaven forbid
an icon not be in the same place..  then the machine must be broken. and
they have to call for support. They have to be held by the hand just to
even use Windows over half of the time. Screw them, I don't give a fuck
about their opinions on computers. They will use what I give them and deal
with it. I have to know all the shit to keep them working. You try lockin
down Windows to be used as a Web Kiosk. Pain in the ass.  I could probaly
easily set up linux to give some user just a browser windows, but then they
would have to use Netscape, and that would confuse them because the buttons
don't look the same. and besides why waste Linux on tha sort of a machine.
Linux is for computer users, not end users.

--
l8r
-LJM

a.k.a. Jaster Mereel
a.k.a. MrBobaFett

"Little things used to mean so much to Shelly. I used to think
  they were kind of trivial.  Believe me, nothing's trivial. "
    -- Eric Draven, The Crow

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:07:30 GMT

On 19 Jan 2001 02:38:52 GMT, "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Linux supports all the hardware that's worth supporting.

Bad answer Joe.

Soundblaster Live is the premier consumer audio card and despite all
kinds of promises from Creative, that go back years, it still is half
supported under Linux.
Win2k came out long after Linux support for this card began and yet
they still have Liveware for Win2k, but a hald assed driver for Linux.

>Usually, "hardware" that isn't supported under Linux is defective in
>that it does not come with published specifications.  I wouldn't want
>to use such "hardware" even if it were supported.

Sorry but it is Linux that is defective in this case.
Harware manufacturers see so little $$$ return on their investment
that they don't develop for Linux.

Linux should stick to servers where you can get by with a VGA card and
no sound card.

>Joe

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:03:18 -0000

On 19 Jan 2001 02:37:42 GMT, Lewis Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> was heard ranting about <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in
> alt.linux.sux on 18 Jan 2001

>>>or better yet sign up for a class at a local college with a site
>>>license. With the proper MS site licence for a school, they get a
>>>licence for every workstation and server, and one for each employee to
>>>take home, and all students get one.   this equals Win2k for pretty
>>>much free if you're a college student. And if you're in college you
>>>usually have something like a T3 connection so downloading the 2 640
>>>meg images files for the Red Hat discs, is just a couple hour download
>>>while you sleep. So I can get both, and Have gotten both for free.
>>>Don't pay what you don't have to.
>>
>>I saw Win2k Pro upgrade for $99.00 at Staples in NY today.
>
>ok, that's still a LOT more than Linux, and that's also comparing an upgrade to
>a full blown from scratch OS.
>
>>>ok, first you are using Mandrake. Sucks, and if you don't know how to
>>>close down ports you shouldn't be using linux, in fact I would debate
>>>if you should even be using a computer. Second, of course Win2k is
>>>closed down, unless you get advanced server ed. it's a workstation, it
>>>doesn't need ports open. That's kinda like saying WFWG is secure
>>>because it doesn't have a bunch of open ports.
>>
>>Wrong.. You have obviously never used Win2k.
>
>Wait one sec.  <clicks on the Start button> um.. yeah that says Windows 2000 on
>the side of the start button...
>
>>All the nasty ports (ftp etc) are closed down by default yet with the click of
>>a mouse you can open whatever you please, individually on each connection I
>>might add.
>
>Nasty ports? FTP? Windows built in FTP sucks.  Wouldn't touch the thing. also
>Linux does not be default have the FTP port open.
>
>>Point is, if Linux is trying to appeal to desktop, they should shut
>>them all down.
>>SuSE is even worse in that regard.
>
>NO! Linux is NOT trying to appeal to the dekstop.  First off Linux does not
>have an aggenda, or thought, or opinion, it is an idea.  If Linux were to have
>any opinions they would be those of Linus T. himself.
>Just because Caldera is making an appeal does not make Linux do shit. Besides
>it's for those same reasons that Caldera sucks.
>
>>>Win2k never did detect my SGI/Sony monitor, keeps telling me I can't
>>>use the settings it supports. Linux, I don't remember if it detected it
>>>or not, I'd just as soon put in the settings myself. For my Digital
>>>camera I had to install the software on Win2k, linux had software
>>>already installed for it.
>>
>>I didn't install any software for my camera. It just worked under
>>Win2k. I couldn't even get USB working under Linux (Mandrake 7.2) so
>>the camera was a non-issue.

        I find that rather odd considering that the last two versions
        have been reported to autodetect various USB devices just fine.
        Furthemore, I MYSELF run USB devices (mouse, keyboard & joypad).

        Non-standard USB device are a crap shoot. On Win2K, there are
        some that just plain aren't supported.

>Ok so it didn't work under Mandrake, which does not use the latest version of
>Linux (Linux being the Kernel and that is all).

        ...or he's just full of it.

[deletia]
>>>better OS, because it's better server. A workstation is just an
>>>appendage. But anyways the News Readers aren't bad for Linux. Try
>>>finding a good one for Windows, Xnews is the best I can find. Simple,
>>>fast, and configurable.
>>
>>Newsreaders suck for offline reading under Linux.
>>Xnews is nice, so is Agent.
>
>ok, and I do my news reading from windows.  Linux is still my news server
>so Xnews to me is just a client to access Linux.

        You could even run Agent inside of Windows in VMWARE or
        Merge if you had some other reason to keep Linux running.

[deletia]
>>It will just further discourage an already frustrated newbie.
>
>So? Screw the unmotivated newbie.  Someone who gives up without a fight
>shouldn't be using Linux anyways. They can keep using Windoze, they won't be
>missing anything, because they don't know what there is to miss.  Ignorance is
>bliss.

[deletia]

--

  > ...then there's that NSA version of Linux...

  This would explain the Mars polar lander problem.

                                        Kyle Jacobs, COLA

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: NSTL, and where are the Winvocates now?
Date: 19 Jan 2001 03:15:34 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:40:54 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I suspect the Winvocates are happily running their applications while
> the Linvoactes star at a command line.

Actually, im staring at this using tin in an Xterm, I'm happily playing
one of my 5500 mp3s with winamp (with a nice kjofol skin), I'm writing
up a report for work with Abiword, and im compiling the latest glibc
so I can get cool themes with gkrellm.

> I've seen MVS/XA systems stay up for years. Am I going to balance my
> taxes on one?

1. no you havent, the guy who writes your posts for you has though.

2. some of us balance our taxes without the need for a computer, and
   its much, much faster.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:09:10 GMT

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:40:54 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I suspect the Winvocates are happily running their applications while
the Linvoactes star at a command line.

I've seen MVS/XA systems stay up for years. Am I going to balance my
taxes on one?

Applications.

Think applications..

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bones)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:10:06 GMT

> Bobby D. Bryant wrote:

> FWIW, I had installed the wu-ftp fix so long ago that I forgot the
> problem had ever existed.  "Go thou and do likewise."

Hmmm... That's interesting. The Register mentioned RedHat vers 5, 6 and 7. I
find it a little unsettling that RedHat would not apply a patch to fix a
problem with washington u ftpd that we all knew about (for a while), and that
they are still shipping it as the defacto ftp server with their
distribution.

BTW, I didn't know that the problems with wu ftp were all fixed. The last I
heard, the advice was to stay clear of it. Also, it seems that the worm
could easily be modified (would it even need to be?) to affect many
different Linux distros, like my Slackware, which shipped with wu ftp only a
year and a half ago.

----
Bones

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bones)
Subject: Re: CD DAE problem fixed!
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:10:07 GMT

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Yay! [pat on back]

[snip]
> It turns out that if I check that box, and then restart Win2k but at
> the boot manager select Linux, the setting somehow survives the boot
> and Linux operates in DAE mode!!

Sounds like its saving some information in some nvram somewhere. No
surprise, since many ISA pnp devices that I've worked with remember their
settings. I had a similar problem with a dual boot machine and an SB16 sound
card. OS/2 and Win95 fought over the DMA channel settings.

> So I guess Linux is off the hook in this case.

No, you are off the hook, Linux is not. I would still research the problem.
Imagine if your hardware shipped with DAE enabled, and you were only running
Linux.

----
Bones

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bones)
Subject: Re: I just can't help it!
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:10:07 GMT

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> ROTFLMAO!  Mean time to failure (MTTF) is a term that is applied to
> non-repairable parts such as light bulbs.  If this isn't a typographical
> error, then even a reboot won't fix it; replacement is necessary.

Maybe they were using 'MTTF' in the context of having to replacing the
contents of the core (i.e. reboot and reload the OS).

----
Bones

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bones)
Subject: Re: NEW: Richard Stallman's speech on FSM & GNU/Linux
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:10:08 GMT

> James Thornton wrote:

> FYI: ArsDigita University made a RA streaming video of Richard
                                   ^^                    ^^^^^^^
> Stallman's speech on the Free Software Movement...
  ^^^^^^^^                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What's wrong with this picture? ( The irony is killing me )

----
Bones

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bones)
Subject: Re: Windows - Is It Really Easier to Use?
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:10:09 GMT

Well, what is the problem with leaving part of your DTP duties to a CLI or
otherwise non-graphical editor? Do you *have* to waste CPU cycles watching
your GUI redraw the window (complete with accurate point-size antialiased
fonts) every time you hit a key?

Imagine if your local newspaper published things the way people like their
DTP software to work. They would be printing a copy after every word they
added, just to make sure it still looked right. Your daily paper would
probably cost $600.

>>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> And airplanes don't work well underwater...nor is scuba-diving gear
>>> good for sky diving.  Do you have a fucking point?

>> Donn Miller wrote:
>> Probably not, except for the fact that he doesn't seem to know that there's
>> an image manipulation program available for GGI in the works.  So yes, to
>> some extent, you could be sitting at the console, and fire up this console
>> graphics app that operates on images similar to photoshop.

What if I wanted to touch up a whole mess of images? Lets say I have 100
jpegs that I want to sharpen, brighten and resize. What's the best way to do
it? A) Open up Photoshop and do the three separate actions one hundred
times. B) Have a shell script blow 'em all through an ImageMagick utility
while I go have a sandwich and a beer. Hmmm, Which method to chose...

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> And also GIMP. Since there is a port of GTK to SVGALib (or equivalent),
> linking GIMP against them would proudce another console one. I don't
> know how well that port is progressing, though.

Speaking of WYSIWYG apps, GIMP and ports, GIMP has a nice, stable port of
version 1.2 on Windows 32-bit. I suggest that the Windows-using folk go and
check out the build from 12/26 + patch 12/29. This port has progressed quite
nicely in the 6 months that I've been watching it, and now includes the needed
GTK libraries and the GIMP binaries all wrapped up in a nice little
Windows-friendly installer. This concludes the endorsement portion of my post.

----
Bones

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cliff Wagner)
Subject: Re: Dell system with Linux costs *more* than with Win2K
Date: 19 Jan 2001 03:15:24 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 02:26:54 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] typed something like:
>On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:08:23 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Fl
>>It's called supply and demand.
>
>Yep.
>Some asshole at Dell decided to build 1000 of these Linux boxes
>because he figured Linux is big and people will want these boxes.
>
>>Purchasers are WILLING TO PAY $64 more for Linux than Windows.
>
>They couldn't find 50 people willing to purchase one, so they had to
>raise the price to make up the loss.
>
>>He heh heheheheh
>
>Joke is on thepoor sucker who buys one....
>Especially when he calls support, which he paid for, and hears dead
>silence at the end of the phone.
>Flatfish
>Why do they call it a flatfish?
>Remove the ++++ to reply.

You are hereby ordered to return to economics 101.
According to your theory, Dell would be GIVING them
away.

Hint:
Supply up and demand down: prices go down to convert
inventory to liquidity.

Supply down and demand up: Prices go up due to scarcity
of goods.

Second Hint:
Why do you think there's talk about a drop in computer
pricing and a price war?  Anything to do with the
lackluster sales over the holidays and too many vendors
having surplus?

--
Cliff Wagner ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Visit The Edge Zone:  http://www.edge-zone.net

"Man will Occasionally stumble over the truth, but most
of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."
        -- Winston Churchill

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 19 Jan 2001 03:16:14 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 21:08:23 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Fl
>>It's called supply and demand.

> Yep.
> Some asshole at Dell decided to build 1000 of these Linux boxes
> because he figured Linux is big and people will want these boxes.

>>Purchasers are WILLING TO PAY $64 more for Linux than Windows.

> They couldn't find 50 people willing to purchase one, so they had to
> raise the price to make up the loss.

Interesting, where exactly did you get this information?

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: 19 Jan 2001 03:17:33 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 19 Jan 2001 01:13:12 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lewis Miller)
> wrote:

>>OK first off, when ppl compare anything to Linux why do they always grab
>>Mandrake. Mandrake sucks..  POS Distro, get the real Red Hat.

> Because the real RedHat is a pos. Everything from bad default path
> statements (ie:you install a program and can't execute it)

Honey, you arent supposed to run those applications as root.

> to a long
> list of major bugs like Glint,

Which youve never used.

> mis-named kernel (they put an extra
> extension on it)

Its not misnamed actually.

> so re-compile failed and so forth.

You didnt even attempt it.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:18:20 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:03:18 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>On 19 Jan 2001 02:37:42 GMT, Lewis Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> was heard ranting about <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in
>> alt.linux.sux on 18 Jan 2001

>>>I saw Win2k Pro upgrade for $99.00 at Staples in NY today.
>>
>>ok, that's still a LOT more than Linux, and that's also comparing an upgrade to
>>a full blown from scratch OS.

>>>Wrong.. You have obviously never used Win2k.
>>
>>Wait one sec.  <clicks on the Start button> um.. yeah that says Windows 2000 on
>>the side of the start button...
>>
>>>All the nasty ports (ftp etc) are closed down by default yet with the click of
>>>a mouse you can open whatever you please, individually on each connection I
>>>might add.
>>
>>Nasty ports? FTP? Windows built in FTP sucks.  Wouldn't touch the thing. also
>>Linux does not be default have the FTP port open.
>>
>>>Point is, if Linux is trying to appeal to desktop, they should shut
>>>them all down.
>>>SuSE is even worse in that regard.
>>
>>NO! Linux is NOT trying to appeal to the dekstop.  First off Linux does not
>>have an aggenda, or thought, or opinion, it is an idea.  If Linux were to have
>>any opinions they would be those of Linus T. himself.
>>Just because Caldera is making an appeal does not make Linux do shit. Besides
>>it's for those same reasons that Caldera sucks.

>>>I didn't install any software for my camera. It just worked under
>>>Win2k. I couldn't even get USB working under Linux (Mandrake 7.2) so
>>>the camera was a non-issue.
>
>       I find that rather odd considering that the last two versions
>       have been reported to autodetect various USB devices just fine.
>       Furthemore, I MYSELF run USB devices (mouse, keyboard & joypad).

First off you are replying to 2 different people, but I will answer my
own.

USB no workie under Mandrake 7.2 and that includes a hub and 2 devices
a scanner and the Camera. It won't even recognze the hub and in fact
when the boot messages scroll across the screen it says "server" not
loaded for USB.

Works fine under WIn2k and Win98se.

>       Non-standard USB device are a crap shoot. On Win2K, there are
>       some that just plain aren't supported.

Mine work fine on Win2k and Win98se and don't work under Linux.
For God sakes even the hub isn't recognized.

>>Ok so it didn't work under Mandrake, which does not use the latest version of
>>Linux (Linux being the Kernel and that is all).
>
>       ...or he's just full of it.

Some one else wrote that.

>       You could even run Agent inside of Windows in VMWARE or
>       Merge if you had some other reason to keep Linux running.

It half runs under Whino.
If I have to run VMware I might as well run Windows where Ican easily
have multiple instances of Agent running at the same time without some
aborted config file.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:20:32 GMT

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:10:07 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bones)
wrote:

>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Sounds like its saving some information in some nvram somewhere. No
>surprise, since many ISA pnp devices that I've worked with remember their
>settings. I had a similar problem with a dual boot machine and an SB16 sound
>card. OS/2 and Win95 fought over the DMA channel settings.

I think you are correct here.

>> So I guess Linux is off the hook in this case.
>
>No, you are off the hook, Linux is not. I would still research the problem.
>Imagine if your hardware shipped with DAE enabled, and you were only running
>Linux.

Linux has so many problems right out of the box that you need a
support team just to organize and sort them out for you.