  Re: Windows Has Lost (Mig)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:15:39 GMT

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 18:25:54 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
Ebert) wrote:

>How sad the Microsoft supporter is these days.
>
>He's loosing market share to a ghost OS which can't die,
>and he just keeps on trying to plug the holes in the dam anyway
>he can.

The ghost is already dead, Linux that is, at least on the desktop.

>This is incredibly funny.

I'm glad I made your day a little brighter. Sure beats reading
How-To's now doesn't it?

>When will you EVER learn that COLA is hardly read by anybody.
>People don't go to newgroups first to get their information
>about operating systems.

Better talk to all your Linvocate partners who keep telling me how
easy it is to find information on the net to repair a defective out of
the box operating system like Linux.
They call me names for NOT turning to the groups for help.
The recent "Font De-Uglification How-To discussion is one example.

So which one is it Charlie? Look to the net for help or not?

By the way that How-To only takes care of the fonts, is there a system
wide de-uglification How-To for Linux somewhere?

>Business's don't give a damn about your feelings about Windows
>as they already know better.

Yep and that is why it is the number one system.

>So go ahead and post another 2,000 articles about how you
>think Windows is great and Linux sucks because it doesn't
>matter to anybody what you think.

It seems to set you off quite nicely. Are you saying that you are a
nobody Charlie?
Please don't say it's so Charlie. Everybody is a somebody Charlie,
even you :)

>You are purely a psyco jerk.

You need to write yourself a new spell checker.

>You couldn't be from any marketing organization I've
>ever heard of.  But if you were, I know it would be
>Microsoft marketing as they are the MOST disconnected
>with reality...

Nope I'm not from any marketing organization, and I could care less
what Microsoft does as long as they continue to produce the quality,
easy to use and widely accepted as standard, applications they produce
now.

And if that should not come to pass, I will use my Mac which in some
ways is better than both Linux and Windows.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <Please@don't.spam>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistent.
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:45:35 +0200

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 04:16:35 GMT, Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Really?  StarOffice is 90% Microsoft Office format compatible, yet no
> > one is using it.  Why?  Well, the horrible interface, the
> > overcomplicated documentation and the amazing lack of performance is
> > seems to have acquired on all platforms.
>
> No.  It is because of the 90% interoperability, or rather the _fear_
> that something important might not convert.  Even 100% compatibility
> would not be good enough if MS can plant enough doubt.
>
> I brought up the idea of using Star Office to the IT committee at work.
> It would save thousands in licensing costs after all, and runs on all of
> the platforms we use (NT, Solaris, Linux).  No one wanted to even
> consider it, sight unseen, because of the risk that document exchange
> with our customers might be hampered by imperfect conversions.  Nobody
> was even willing to do any testing, even though I have been using SO for
> months without anybody noticing.

Just a tidbit, I heard that MS is going to port Office to Mac OS X, this
probably mean that all other *nix will have it as well, doesn't it?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <Please@don't.spam>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:18:11 +0200

"JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said JS PL in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 19 Jan 2001 23:38:06 -0500;
> > >"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >exactly
> > >only

> > >What do you want me to do, film it happening?
> > >I didn't do anything to the configuration. It's the default install. It
> > >plays an MP3 ONCE. Among other things. Sometimes it won't run ANY
> programs.
> > >Sometimes it runs some of them. It just does whatever it wants to do I
> > >guess. I click an icon and say to myself " I wonder if this will run
> today?"
> > >Funny thing is, Windows 2000 on the exact same hardware runs perfectly
> all
> > >the time. Go figure...
> >
> > I think he did, and he figured that you were screwing something up.  On
> > the Linux thing, at least.  As for W2K, you're just lying.
>
> But you would have no way of knowing that I lie when I say that in approx.
> 11 months my Win2K OS has crashed exactly "once".
> Give me a way or method to crash Win2k, I've yet to find one on my own.
> You've never had any experience with Windows 2000 in your life except what
> you've read.
> So you just go ahead and advocate an OS you don't use while bashing an OS
> you've never used and do it all using Windows98 to do the bashing.

There is always manual BSOD, you know.
It's very reliable.
I've absolutely no idea why they kept it in the released version, although I
can see some advantage in it during development.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <Please@don't.spam>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:21:34 +0200

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JS PL wrote:
> > But you would have no way of knowing that I lie when I say that in
approx.
> > 11 months my Win2K OS has crashed exactly "once".
> > Give me a way or method to crash Win2k, I've yet to find one on my own.
>
> Here is the problem, when you say 11 months, that may mean that you turn
> it off every night and boot it every morning. It is unlikely that you
> will see a problem. If, as you say, you have seen it crash once, then
> this is significant in this configuration, and falls well within the
> MTTF study.

I don't turn my computer off at night, I usually don't even bother to log
off, I just lock the computer and turn off the monitor and speakers.
I'd one crash since installing SP1, two before it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Poor Linux
Date: 21 Jan 2001 19:23:04 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2001 17:34:39 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>>This whole thing would have been much more interesting if youd sworn
>>that you used a Tascam or something for your mixing requirements.

> Tascam?

Yes, we are of course discussing home studio engineering hardware, no?

> You've just proven how much you know about the subject :(

Indeed.  The D-8000 sure is a piece of shit.  As is the entire M series.

Go ahead and tell me you like peavey.

>>Not that I would have been impressed, but I would have been more likely
>>to believe that you were telling the truth about doing sound engineering.

> SoundCraft Ghost.
> Mackie 8 Bus
> Allen Heath GL
> Go look them up....

Why?  You obviously already did.

Oh, and you seem to have mentioned Mackie.  :)

I am certian that you do not own an 8B, because piddling sound-enthousiasts
who live in cheap houses on the wrong side of the "hamptons tracks" cannot
afford one.

You may want to stick with tascam.  At least thats a lie I could believe.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Scott TOK)
Subject: Re: Why "uptime" is important.
Date: 21 Jan 2001 20:21:33 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
mlw  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>HTML is an interesting thing to use for an example. I have never seen
>any WYSIWYG that produced HTML that was very usable for anything other
>than a static page. Certainly difficult to integrate with PHP, ASP,
>java, etc. I often end up "post editing" my web pages in vi, because the
>graphical programs always mess up the HTML.

All my pages are static and I've written every one of them in Emacs.  It
is really very easy, especially when your only objective is to inform.

I might try some of that "dynamic" stuff but I don't have the slightest
understanding of it...

>Oh, and to address "WYSIWYG" criteria. There is no such capability in
>HTML, and people that assume there is always make web pages with serious
>formatting errors. The rule is write the page and try it on many
>browsers with different fonts and screen resolutions.

Same as with any typesetting system whose output you expect to look
professional.

--
cu,
Bruce

drift wave turbulence:  http://www.rzg.mpg.de/~bds/

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 21 Jan 2001 12:25:05 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:19:30 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:
>

> >     ...plus, it's an entirely subjective thing too. How do you
> >     test against such a thing? How do you fully specify such
> >     a thing?
>
> I dunno, ask Microsoft or Winamp. They managed to make their players
> attractive looking, while xmms looks dreadful, no matter what skin you
> use.

XMMS uses Winamp skins.

> It's a mess even on a 21 inch monitor at 1024x768 32bpp.
>
> Can't even remember it's own song directory....

Hmm, mine does.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VMWare?
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:26:14 GMT

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 18:32:16 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I'm considering the VMWare Express package to help me over "the
>application barrier".  I'm wondering if the performance hit that I've
>heard about is just with the Windows apps, or will the 'thin layer
>between hardware and OS' that VMWare talks about slow down Linux itself?

This is getting funnier by the moment Max!

Application barrier? What application barrier?

******Semi-Sarcasm on***********
You better have a talk with jedi and company, because according to
them the Linux applications are so far superior to the Windows variety
in terms of features, stability and ease of use that they call anybody
who has trouble a moron.

Come on Max, go cold turkey and dump Windows all together.
It will hurt at first but once you see all those great applications
you have been talking about for the last couple of years, I mean
"use", sorry, you will never want to go back to nasty Windows again.

********Semi-Sarcasm Off***********************

To answer your question though, your machine will more than likely run
VMWare fine and once it is loaded it tends to run the majority of Win
apps fine, at least the ones I have tried.

FWIW Mandrake 7.2 (retail) comes with VMware.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Tear down the Wall
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:28:28 GMT

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 18:42:56 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/4/ns-13122.html
>
>Linux picking up its game
>
> Fri, 04 Feb 2000 08:26:32 GMT
> Robert Lemos, ZDNet News US

Ha! Ha!

You better read that article again Max.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Loki has trouble playiong their own games under Linux!!!!!
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:31:04 GMT

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/4/ns-13122.html

Here's a snippet:

"Even our developers have trouble getting (games) going," said Scott
Draeker, president of Loki, during a conference session at the
LinuxWorld show here, emphasising the difficulty of setting up Linux
platforms for gaming. "(The Linux situation) is reminiscent of the bad
ol' days of DOS."

But this one is my favorite!

"How bad, exactly? Ray Schwamberger, a Linux technician for Atipa
Linux Solutions, spent two hours tweaking and configuring a dozen
computers at his company's LinuxWorld booth so they could adequately
run Quake 3 and demo Atipa's Linux PC. "

This stuff is HYSTERICAL!!!!!!!

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows Has Lost
Date: 21 Jan 2001 12:35:47 -0700

Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > It isn't a PC, it's a game console that runs Internet Explorer,
> > Microsoft Office, USB devices and everything else that Windows already
> > does.  They seem to have pulled the proverbial wool over other ia32
> > manufacturers; at least we haven't heard a peep form that camp yet.
> > Microsoft hopes to supplant the entire PC market with the X-Box
> > eventually.  If they do it with quiet aplomb, their "strategic
> > partners" may never notice the knives in their backs until it is too
> > late.  High-definition TVs with a "game console" sporting FireWire,
> > USB and such, it's not very difficult to see this happening.
>
> Dont forget that the vast majority of computer users DO NOT NEED a pc. They
> need a device to surf the web, read and send mail, play games and watch
> movies. Im not sure that MS is so wrong in going with X-Box - they simply
> have to compete in another field... and when its not computers (think AOL)
> they are not very good at it. Besides they face fierce competion from Linux
> (what about the BSD's?) on these devices

I predict that Microsoft will make it as difficult as possible to use
anything other than Windows on the X-Box.  Using something like a
hardware challenge/response would work for quite a while -- You're
right that mose poeple do not need a PC, and that's what Microsoft is
banking on happening.  As PC sales go down, they hope the X-Box will
take up the slack.

> > Either way, the Windows as we know it is losing and will lose the war.
> > Whether Microsoft can re-structure it's revenue streams is still a
> > matter to be resolved.  Once Windows is gone, Windows technologies
> > won't be far behind.  Microsoft Office can last longer, but not much
> > longer.  We may be looking 10 to 20 years down the road from here, but
> > I suspect it'll happen sooner than we think.
>
> But will Linux on the PC gain that market or will it just shift towards
> devices instead of PC's?

They only way they'll be able to keep linux outside will be through
DMCA/legal challenges.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bones)
Subject: Re: Network installation
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:38:40 GMT

> Yoram Levy wrote:

> At installation, Corel Linux did not recognize the DLINK 220 NIC
> (ISA). How do I install it manually?

Here's some pointers:

1) Find out what chipset the NIC uses
2) Use a kernel that has support for this card (Corel lets you pick different
   kernels, right?
3) Install your HOWTOs package and read through the Ethernet-HOWTO to see if
   your card's chipset needs any special attention.

Is that DLINK NIC an NE 2000 compatible? If it is, I would download some
DOS-based configuration utils and disable PnP mode (assuming that's the case).

----
Bones

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bones)
Subject: X Locks up; Hell PR rep says, 'Its getting cold down here'
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:38:41 GMT

Whoa! It looks like I've had my first hard lock-up of X ever.

...So, there I was downloading junk off the gnutella network with Gnut, the
CLI gtella client. I decided to flip over to another vt and fire up X to do
some browsing with Netscape. Uh oh, the keyboard and the mouse stop
responding, (I can't kill X with Ctrl+Alt+BS, and Linux won't respond to the
three finger salute either.)

I regained my senses after the initial knee-jerk panic reaction and noticed
some things: The modem was still receiving data. Hmmm, looks like the kernel
and all the other processes are happily humming along. I was downloading a
large file (for a 28.8 modem connection), so I decided to let Gnut finish
its work. In the meantime, the screen saver kicked on -- more proof. Damn,
no working machine handy to ssh in and shutdown the box.

I hit the power switch after the download was done and thought about the
problem for a second. My dual boot box defaulted to Win95 in the process,
where it proceeded to lock up with nothing but an empty desktop and a
pointer. Ahhhh.... I'd been tinkering in the BIOS with IRQ settings before.
I power-cycled the machine again and went into the BIOS setup. Just as I
suspected, I had accidentally set IRQ 12 to only be used by 'ISA', so my
PS/2 mouse no longer had an IRQ.

I fixed the setting and booted the machine to Linux. Everything now works
wonderfully. Almost thought I had a real Linux problem for a few minutes
there. I feel so left out, I never have any problems with Linux.

----
Bones

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Jan 2001 12:41:28 -0700

"Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi Craig,
>
> That perspective is fascinating. I have checked up and the XBox does NOT
> have firewire (http://www.xbox.com/xbox/flash/specs.asp). It only has 100Mb
> Ethernet. Even so that speed would enable Microsoft to expand the XBox later
> on: keyboards, extra storage space, printers, etc. It may be in Microsoft's
> interests to make special XBox-only hardware.

Thanks for the update, I had read something which indicated otherwise
-- it appears the the X-Box will only have a hard disk, fast ethernet,
and a "memory card slot" (whatever that is).  The PS2, on the other
hand, has USB, Firewire, PCMCIA and the memory card.  (Not that Sony
would be a better company in that position, mind you.)

> But you have to also realise that under all that plastic is essentially a
> PC. If Microsoft subsidises the hardware to encourage the sale of high
> priced
> games then some awesomely performing servers might just become available to
> the open source community :-)

It *is* a PC -- this is how Microsoft intends to compete with Dell,
Compaq, Gateway and all x86 platform companies.  They call it a game
machine now, but as the desktop market flattens and Linux becomes more
popular -- this little box will be their revenue stream.  If they can
legally keep the BSD/Linux folks away from it, it may just work for a
time.

> Over at www.xbox.com Microsoft states: "Time is precious...Play more games."

Sounds like a good idea with me.  Just be careful who your opponents
and allies are.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A salutary lesson about open source
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:33:41 GMT

"spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 00:49:43 GMT, "Chad Myers"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >"Cliff Wagner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 19:43:52 GMT, Bob Hauck typed something like:

> >> Aww, c'mon Bob, everyone knows that if Boeing didn't sell their
> >> quota of 777s off their website, they'd go bankrupt.  Hell,
> >> I bought 3 of them for christmas, then went to www.chevron.com
> >> to buy the fuel to fly them to my parents house.  What would
> >> we ever do if the F500 didn't have web sites????
> >
> >(Bob Hauck is on my killfile for just those type of ignorant statements)
> >

> I've been reading Bob Hauck's and your posts for years and I easily
> know which one of you commonly makes ignorant statements and it isn't
> Bob.

That means a lot coming from you.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 19:49:34 GMT

On 21 Jan 2001 19:23:04 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>> Tascam?
>
>Yes, we are of course discussing home studio engineering hardware, no?

Somewhat.
My studio "is" in my home.
Where is yours located.

>> You've just proven how much you know about the subject :(
>
>Indeed.  The D-8000 sure is a piece of shit.  As is the entire M series.

I never said that, you did.
They are digital domain mixers that have that "digital sound" to them.
Nothing wrong with that, but I prefer analog at that end of the price
spectrum because instead of all the toys that break, like motorized
faders, you get warm sounding pre-amps and controls, especially with
the Ghost.

>Go ahead and tell me you like peavey.

Nobody likes Peavey..

>>>Not that I would have been impressed, but I would have been more likely
>>>to believe that you were telling the truth about doing sound engineering.
>
>> SoundCraft Ghost.
>> Mackie 8 Bus
>> Allen Heath GL
>> Go look them up....
>
>Why?  You obviously already did.
>
>Oh, and you seem to have mentioned Mackie.  :)

Good board for sub-mixing. Quiet pre-amps and basic straight wire gain
structure. Has no character to it though and that is why some people
don't like them. You'll be hard pressed to find a studio without at
least one around.

>I am certian that you do not own an 8B, because piddling sound-enthousiasts
>who live in cheap houses on the wrong side of the "hamptons tracks" cannot
>afford one.

1.There is no wrong side of the tracks in the Hampton's.
2. Both the Ghost and Allen Heath cost more than the Mackie.

>You may want to stick with tascam.  At least thats a lie I could believe.

I have 2 Tascam DAT recorders and an old Tascam 80-8 Reel to Reel and
a Tascam Cassette deck.

Does that count?

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:55:48 +0100

T. Max Devlin wrote:

> http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/4/ns-13122.html
>
> Linux picking up its game
>
>  Fri, 04 Feb 2000 08:26:32 GMT
>  Robert Lemos, ZDNet News US
>

>  3-D gaming components of Linux to be done by summer, say
>  graphics chip makers and game developers

Why does evertbody seem to think 3D gaming is so cool ? Buy a gameconsole!

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:00:44 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said JS PL in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:58:47 -0500;
>   [...]
>>Just trying to explain it would be revolting.
>>"O.K. grandma, to play the cd you'll have to mount the cd drive." NO NO
>>STOP!! Step away from the computer granmdma!!
>
>I would expect that Linux has had automount for a number of years.  Can
>somebody confirm this?

    Auto mounting is default in RedHat and SuSE.  Maybe others which I
    have not tried recently.

    Auto playing of audio CDs is also the default when player software
    is active.

    Mounting an audio CD makes no sense.

--
"Given enough time and money, Microsoft will eventually 'invent' Unix."
                - George Bonser

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 21:02:26 +0100

Craig Kelley wrote:

> > Dont forget that the vast majority of computer users DO NOT NEED a pc.
> > They need a device to surf the web, read and send mail, play games and
> > watch movies. Im not sure that MS is so wrong in going with X-Box - they
> > simply have to compete in another field... and when its not computers
> > (think AOL) they are not very good at it. Besides they face fierce
> > competion from Linux (what about the BSD's?) on these devices
>
> I predict that Microsoft will make it as difficult as possible to use
> anything other than Windows on the X-Box.  Using something like a
> hardware challenge/response would work for quite a while -- You're
> right that mose poeple do not need a PC, and that's what Microsoft is
> banking on happening.  As PC sales go down, they hope the X-Box will
> take up the slack.

Well, a dedicated gameconsole is also overkill for most users. I would
prefer to have somekind of keyboard - maybe something ala PalmPilot light -
that could communicate with a TV set. Actually some kind of interactive
TeleText + (dont think TeleText is used in the US. is it?) with good
graphics. Off course Internet Access and maybe interface to a printer to
write documents on paper.

> > But will Linux on the PC gain that market or will it just shift towards
> > devices instead of PC's?
>
> They only way they'll be able to keep linux outside will be through
> DMCA/legal challenges.

They cant.. lots of vendors are developing small devices based on Linux and
the cost is very low. They cant compete with that no matter what they try

--
Cheers