  Re: Linux Myths -- What I'd call Part II is here! ("Edward Rosten")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:24:06 -0500

"Paul 'Z' Ewande®" wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message :
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> <SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>

> well.

> > > Utter nonsense. The Win98SE part of my box is *totally* unaware of
> Aaron's
> > > Law [IOW ther have been some system crashes, but tey are hopelessly
> > > outnumbered by the number of application crashes], and the Win2K part
> > > *still* has to experience an application induced crash.
> >           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Ok...they weren't "application induced" crashes.
> >
> > What kind of crashes were they...exactly...
>
> None of any kind so far <knock on wood>. But I had a quite hefty Dr Watson
> log file.
>
> But we were talking of apps that kill Windows "Under normal usage, a
> crashing app will crash ALL of Windows as well." weren't we ?

The mere EXISTANCE of a properly written "app that will crash your OS" is
an
admission that the OS vendor is a FAILURE.

Hope that helps.

> > Aaron R. Kulkis
>
> Paul 'Z' Ewande

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ramen worm/virus cracks NASA and others
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:25:14 -0500

"Paul 'Z' Ewande®" wrote:

> Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message :
> 951rmn$sm9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> <SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>
>
> > > Damn ! I've been conned again ! My copy of Outlookk Express didn't do
> tha
> > > when I received the ILOVEYOU.TXT.VBS. How is Melissa different ?
> >
> > Sorry Paul but this one Aaron hits right - im not sure it was Melissa but
> > one of the big ones in 99 was one where you didnt have to execute anything
> > - just had to view the message. That one utilized the buffer overflow in
> > the date fiels or am i mixing two different togehter ?
>
> Don't know.
>
> > And ILOVEYOY was not Melissa.. or was it the same in France?
>
> I know they weren't the same. That's why I asked how Melissa was different,
> to seee if they operated on same principles.

Regardless...Microsoft products are shit.  That's why your legislature has
made it ILLEGAL to even install Windows on any French Government computers.

> > Cheers
>
> Paul 'z' Ewande

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lookout! The winvocates have a new FUD strategy!
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:27:14 -0500

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Then you didn't kill the process.  If you still had keyboard service,
> > then no reboot was necessary.  If you lost i/., then what you are
> > describing sounds like you lost mingetty on your various devices.  In
> > which case, a reboot or opening a telnet session into the system are the
> > only things that I know of to get everything going again.
>
> True but I had no telnet server running.
>
> > you said something to mlw about it in this thread.  Something like not
> > having many apps besides opening CLI's in multiple terminals.  This is
> > simply untrue. Mandrake Linux comes out of the box with better word
> > processing applications, better text editors, games, etc. than
> > windows.
>
> You're kidding right?
>
> Except for the CLI tools, none of the GUI style tools are out of beta
> yet. StarOffice you only get with a deluxe version of Mandrake.

Star Office is FREELY DOWNLOADABLE FROM SUN, you MORON.

It's also included in SuSE, and several other distributions.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for Linux being more Difficult than Windows
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:28:08 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Christopher L. Estep" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Which browser?  If you are referring to IE 5.5 SP 1, you have a point;
> > however, this updates several critical DLL files used by both the OS
> and UI.
> > It is more akin to a kernel and X upgrade in Linux, which usually
> requires a
> > reboot (if not two).
>
> This is of course the result of the "tighter integration of Internet
> Explorer into Windows to give a complete, web-based experience" (that
> is, upgrading your web browser replaces a piece of your kernel).
> Another result is that when IE crashes (roughly once a day), the entire
> GUI, including the taskbar, vanishes in a puff of smoke.

In Redmond, Washington, this is called "progress"

Of course, progress for *WHOM* isn't mentioned...is it...

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux Myths -- What I'd call Part II is here!
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:09:21 -0000

On 29 Jan 2001 23:21:23 -0600, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Silly boy - X-box uses embedded W2K with DirectX - hardly taking attention
>away from windows...
>

>Games written for the xbox can be very easily ported to windows and
>visaversa - just expanding their marketplace. Don't think we'll be seeing
>any linux power game boxes any time soon ! haha

        Such machines are already sold by the leading Linux vendors.
        As far as "consoles" go, those are under development as well.
        Although, even nvidia's speedy xfree drivers will likely see
        quick deployment on this "it's really just another PC" console.

[deletia]

--

        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: C2
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:11:36 -0000

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 01:27:12 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On 29 Jan 2001 13:12:11 -0600, Conrad Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Jim Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Really? OK, prove it.
>>
>> The C2 reporting documents specify more than just the OS.
>> Certain rather simple things obviously are required to
>> keep a machine secure even by University computing lab
>> standards (nevermind the NSA). Leave those basic things
>> out and you have holes that you could ride a scud through.
>
>Well, these standards are mainly for servers and workstations
>in highly secure top-secret installations, not Universities.

        ...which implies that the security concerns of the NSA should
        be a proper superset of those of a University.

[deletia]
--

        Section 8. The Congress shall have power...

        To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for
        limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their
        respective writings and discoveries;
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:15:21 -0000

On 29 Jan 2001 23:21:57 -0600, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On 29 Jan 2001 13:12:11 -0600, Conrad Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> >
>> >"Jim Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Really? OK, prove it.
>>
>> The C2 reporting documents specify more than just the OS.
>> Certain rather simple things obviously are required to
>> keep a machine secure even by University computing lab
>> standards (nevermind the NSA). Leave those basic things
>> out and you have holes that you could ride a scud through.
>>

>Really? OK, prove it. The documentation VERY clearly states, in english, C2
>is for the OS. Period. Try presenting some facts, it would help me believe
>you...

        Excuse me for actually being able to think for myself and do
        so critically of something you seem to be using as a crutch
        for your fragile ego.

        Actually, the english isn't THAT plain and it can quite easily
        be interpreted to mean that the certification is only for that
        particular hardware, or at best the model(s) of PC in question.

        There are obvious flaws in boldly assuming that NT would be
        considered suitably secure regardless of the hardware running
        underneath.

--

        The ability to type

                ./configure
                make
                make install

        does not constitute programming skill.                  |||
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: KULKIS IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:19:11 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>> > Actually, the situation hasn't changed.  I'm still ignoring Malloy
>> > like I was at the beginning of the thread, and Malloy is still
>> > posting his ridiculous responses like he was at the beginning of the
>> > thread.  He hasn't moved on.
>>
>> That part of the situation has changed, but Marty has since joined in,
>> which means that some parts of the situation have changed.
>
> Actually, the situation hasn't changed.  I'm still ignoring Tholen, and
> have been for over a month.  Dave is still posting his ridiculous
> response like he had in other threads.  He hasn't moved on.

Who is Dave?

-Ed

--
Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr

------------------------------

From: Mark Styles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:11:01 -0500

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:35:53 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>While I've experimented with the various 'desktops', I've now settled
>on the excellent fvwm, which has yet to fail me.

After playing with fvwm, windowmaker, enlightenment, kde, gnome, and
all the other 'fancy' desktop management stuff, I've reverted to
trusty old vtwm. Simple, uncluttered, and very very stable.

>Previously, I occasionally had GUI crashes.

The only serious GUI crashes I remember having were caused either by
KDE, or by Exceed. I've never had a local X server crash.

> NEVER has the kernel crashed on me, and I've been using it
>for a year.

I've been using Linux for 3 years, and unix for almost 12 years. I've
never seen a linux kernel crash, and the unix kernel crashes I've seen
can be counted on my fingers.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Kernel upgrade - not bad at all
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:21:47 +0000

In article <fmod6.96679$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Kyle Jacobs"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "NOYB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Funny that you go on and on about how great Windoze USB support is.
>>
>> Log on to HewlettPackard's website, and read the woefully long FAQ
>> about getting a printer to cooperate with Win95/98/Me and USB.
>>
>> I followed the directions to the letter and I still had to do a
>> msconfig, regedit, remove drivers and reinstall to get my 932C to work.
>>
>> Most frustrating fiasco I ever dealt with.  Yeah, windoze and USB werk
>> great.
>
> Try that same printer under Linux.  And not these pre-configured box
> sets either.  Try doing it under Debian.
>
>> That same printer mind you installed without a HITCH in Mandrake 7.2.
>> That was without upgrading the kernel!  Hmm.. come to think of it.  My
>> intellimouse explorer optical was detected without a problem as well.
>
> Again, Mandrake 7.2 is throughly hard modified to support USB without "a
> hitch". As for the HID device (your mouse) Windows will find that
> instantly, just like most other USB peripherals on "the market".
> XFree86 doesn't even recognize USB devices yet, it has to rely on GPM
> and other OS level support for the peripheral.

You just don't understand, do you. That's the beauty of a modular
operating system. Every program that wants to use a mouse has to know
about a generic mouse. Only one program needs to know about every kind of
mouse. That makes all the programs smaller and bug free. What you think
is a bad thing is actually a very good thing.

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: 30 Jan 2001 17:28:50 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]Nick Condon wrote:
]>
]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harlan Grove) wrote in <94si7f$7nq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
]>
]> >Absolutely true. It's how we define 'freedom'. For those in the US of
]> >Libertarian bent, Microsoft can do what it wants to within certain
]> >legal bounds (which it's overstepped, IMO).
]>
]> Microsoft has a centrally planned, state granted, exclusive monopoly.
]> That's not very libertarian.

]No, it's not "state granted"  If it was, they wouldn't have been
]CONVICTED of criminal conduct in Federal Court.

It is state granted. That is precisely what patents and copyright are--
state granted monopolies. It used to be that there was a trade off--
they were granted only if they were published clearly for anyone to
read. Now adays you can copyright and trade secret at the same time. Ie
copyright in many situations has become simply a centrally planned,
state granted monopoly to allow friends of the government to make money.

That that same company could also engage in practices which contraven
other laws, or that different branches of the government could work at
cross purposes is hardly surprising. Lets see how Bush handles the
Microsoft case.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux  headache
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:31:42 -0000

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 13:13:55 GMT, Jasper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:18:09 -0600, "Robert Morelli"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>3.  Because the Linux/Unix paradigm is designed for multiuser
>>client/server environments,  and this paradigm is totally useless for the
>>typical home user.  For instance,  the root user under Linux can do
>>things you should never do,  while the non-root users can't do ordinary
>>things you need to do.  The root/non-root distinction in Linux is a
>>nuissance which has no purpose for the home user.
>
>You're quite correct.  The fact that people are currently attempting
>to use a thin client system like Unix as a desktop OS is nothing short
>of bizzare.  I can only assume this has come about through blind
>hatred of MS without any consideration of the nature of Linux/Unix.

        This has to be the essence of FUD.

        X was being successfuly deployed as a client enviroment before
        Microsoft even bothered to deliver any GUI that wasn't a sad
        joke. What Unix provides underneath is quite compelling in many
        client computing enviroments.

        Hatred of MS has little to do with it. Not wanting to WAIT for
        MS to get it's act together has more to do with it.

>Not only is Unix thin client it also has it base firmly rooted as a
>CLI driven OS.  Each time I attend to a Windows PC and open a DOS
>prompt the immediate (and somtimes hostile response) from the user is
>"You don't expect me to do this do you?"

        ...which clearly shows your own bias. If anyone is motivated
        by some sort of "OS hatred" it is you.

[deletia]

        Microsoft is the clear historical example of a pisspoor CLI
        system succeeding as an 'ease of use' desktop system DESPITE
        of itself. How you can gloss over this while comparing Unix
        to Windows (which was DOS just a few short years ago) is
        simply assinine.

        If DOS could do it, so can Unix.

--

  >> Yes.  And the mailer should never hand off directly to a program
  >> that allows the content to take control.
  >
  >Well most mailers can, so I guess they all suck too.

        Yup.

        Candy from strangers should be treated as such.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:34:07 -0000

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 03:48:49 GMT, J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
>> Huh? Are you telling me I'm lying? It doesn't work. What part of doesn't
>> don't you understand?
>
>There were other options - I'm willing to beleive your
>distro is not configured for it, but from all accounts,
>others are using USB devices with Linux and loving
>it. Granted, these are the more technical users...

        While it is quite true that some of us were experimenting
        successfully with dev kernels and USB last year, that is
        not relevant here. The fact remains that Suse and Mandrake
        have been successfully supporting USB for quite some time.
        They've been doing so without the need for the admin to be
        any sort of expert on the matter.

--

        Common Standards, Common Ownership.

        The alternative only leads to destructive anti-capitalist
        and anti-democratic monopolies.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Mike Martinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:38:21 -0700

Craig Kelley wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > You don't understand how big corporations work, then, MS would think it's
> > nice & important to have the X-Box generating cash for them, they will also
> > think that it's nicer and more important to increase the cash flow from
> > windows toward them.
>
> Perhaps, but at least it wouldn't be a sink-or-swim mentality.

Your ideas concerning the X-box are intriguing.  This leads me to
wonder... what happens when/if MS gets *really* desperate?  Given the
ample evidence of their arrogance (Ballmer's public, virulent fits of
rage) and immaturity (Gate's whining petulance in his 1998 deposition),
could they attempt to do serious damage to the industry itself if things
get really tough for them?  Sort of a "It's my ball and I'm taking it
home" mentality?

Stay tuned.

No matter how people (in this ng and others) hammer away at MS vs Linux,
you can't escape two fundamental truths:

1 - Both OS's do roughly the same thing

2 - One of them costs a shitload of money

You can't compete with free.  Netscape found that out.  I can't wait to
see what MS will do about Linux.

MjM

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:35:55 +0000

In article <956heh$ou9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>>In article <953pud$mhv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>Are you the bmeyer who had a winning entry in the IOCCC?
>
> Uhm, yes. Why?
>
> Bernie

Right on! Nice one.

I've been following the IOCCC (I'm going to enter next time round).
Anyway, I saw your name in the Winners list and wondered if you were the
same person.

I've still got to knock my program down from 3Kb to 1.5kB :-/

-Ed