Linux-Advocacy Digest #856, Volume #31           Tue, 30 Jan 01 21:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Gates Vaccine ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Storm Linux & Applixware ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else ("Tony Neville")
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: GODDAMNED STINKING PIECE OF SHIT THOLEN ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: I am preparing to teach a Linux class and I am soliciting advice ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: THOLEN IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: GODDAMNED STINKING PIECE OF SHIT THOLEN (Marty)
  Re: GODDAMNED STINKING PIECE OF SHIT KULKIS ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: KULKIS IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: GODDAMNED STINKING PIECE OF SHIT KULKIS ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
  Re: M$ websites down again - Problem solved -> use Linux! (CR Lyttle)
  Re: Linux  headache
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
  Re: So much for Linux being more Difficult than Windows (CR Lyttle)
  Re: M$ websites down again - Problem solved -> use Linux! (Milton)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:01:22 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Nick Condon wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harlan Grove) wrote in <94si7f$7nq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> > >Absolutely true. It's how we define 'freedom'. For those in the US of
> > >Libertarian bent, Microsoft can do what it wants to within certain
> > >legal bounds (which it's overstepped, IMO).
> >
> > Microsoft has a centrally planned, state granted, exclusive monopoly.
> > That's not very libertarian.
>
> No, it's not "state granted"  If it was, they wouldn't have been
> CONVICTED of criminal conduct in Federal Court.

sure it is.  what do you think copyright is?  copyright is a state
enforced monopoly.  no state enforcement, no copyright -- look at
middle/far east.

> > Americans are so busy watching and being suspicious of their government,
> > they've missed the big corporations sneaking up behind them, until it's too
> > late and there's nothing left to do but bite the pillow.

> Must be why Microsoft has been REPEATEDLY **CONVICTED** in Federal
> court for behavior nearly identical to that which got IBM REPEATEDLY
> ***CONVICTED*** of crimes back in the 1960's-80's.

that too.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Gates Vaccine
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:22:41 +0100

Just saw this thread. If only he would spend this amount of money
protecting his OS's and applications from virus'. :-)

Why is it that BG has to tell the world what a great guy he is giving
these relatively tiny amounts of money, considering his enormous
wealth, when others do it without all the fanfare. I remember a
documentary on ex-beatle Paul. It mentioned, as a small side note,
that he had given a lot of money over many years to many charities but
always gave the money anonymously. What does BG expect to gain from
this I wonder?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Storm Linux & Applixware
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:07:53 +0100

With the demise of stormix, the best Linux distribution I have used
to date, and what looks like the end for vistasource (applixware) it
has been a sad few days for me.

Now with IBM going to spend $1 billion this year on Linux why don't
they invest in stormix to keep a great debian based distribution going
and buy vistasource and then follow sun and make applixware open
source? Stormix did a fantastic job in making the easiest Linux
installation and with debian package management, so easy to
upgrade. As for applixware, it is an excellent office suite with a
superb macro language, ELF. Here's a chance for IBM to invest a small
amount of money and have a geat impact of Linux on the desktop.

------------------------------

From: "Tony Neville" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:15:17 +1300

"Hartmann Schaffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <955k14$35j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tony Neville wrote:
> >Was the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness a sentiment to
> >be found in Humanism in those days?   If so, Humanism then as NO
> >resemblance to Humanism today with its embracing of Marxist theory
> >swamped in political correctness in the form of muliculturalism, moral
> >relativism, deconstructionism, and social engineering, its vilification of
> >anything Western and its fawning praise of primitive tribal cultures,
> >its cynicism and nihilism.  Humanism is brain dead.
>
> if anything id braindead, it is this decription of humanism

Jesus on a stick, another insult that amounts to "Aw, sez you!"

Tony.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:01:19 -0500

"." wrote:

> Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > : You misspelled, "Leftist ACLU fantasies"
>
> > : The Constitution does NOT prohibit mixing the state and religion, it
> > : merely prohibits:
>
> > : A) the ESTABLISHMENT of a religion, and
> > : B) government interference in religious organizations.
>
> > : Freedom OF religion =/= Freedom FROM religion.
>
> > The ability to be free from religion if you so choose is a
> > prerequisite for real freedom of religion.  If everyone is
> > required to be religious, then you've got government regulations
> > of what does and doesn't count as a religion, and *that* is
> > definately a case of government interference in religious
> > organizations.  One necessary (but not sufficient) test to see
> > if government is keeping it's grubby little hands off of
> > religions is to see what happens to those who choose not to
> > participate in a religion.
>
> I do not want bush spending my tax dollars on religious organizations.

The President can't spend anything....only Congress.

Which is why the "Reagan Deficit" is a misnomer....it was the TIP O'NEIL
deficit.
[All spending bills MUST start in the House]

> "Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."
>
> -george dubya bush
>
> --
> "It's natural to expect there might be people doing stupid things
> with computers"
>
> ---Michael Vatis, director of the FBI's national infrastructure
> protection center commenting on Y2K concerns about hacker attacks

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: GODDAMNED STINKING PIECE OF SHIT THOLEN
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:06:15 -0500

Marty wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:

> > > Unnecessary.
> >
> > Illogical.
>
> On what basis do you make this ridiculous claim?

Tholen bought himself some pointy-green "Spock Ears" from some loser
at a Star Dreck convention.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: I am preparing to teach a Linux class and I am soliciting advice
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:08:26 -0500

Adie wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:32:50 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >i.e. teach them HOW TO READ a 'man' page....that is, how to extract
> >relevant information out of it.
>
> What is a man page?

try this:

$ man man

and you'll find out

To see several example

type

$ man  @@@

where @@@ is  ls, cat, more, or any other  command you want to find out
about.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: THOLEN IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:09:09 -0500

THOLEN, just SHUT THE FUCK UP, you SHIT-HEADED DONKEY RAPER.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:12:35 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: GODDAMNED STINKING PIECE OF SHIT KULKIS
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:17:01 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

> Marty wrote:

>> Edward Rosten wrote:

>>> Illogical.

>> On what basis do you make this ridiculous claim?

> Tholen bought himself some pointy-green "Spock Ears" from some loser
> at a Star Dreck convention.

Incorrect, but your history of lies is consistent with the above
statement.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: KULKIS IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:17:51 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

> THOLEN, just SHUT THE FUCK UP,

Practice what you preach, foul mouth.

> you SHIT-HEADED DONKEY RAPER.

Classic invective, as expected from someone who lacks a logical argument.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:19:27 GMT

Marty writes:

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

>> Marty wrote:

>>> On what basis do you make this ridiculous claim?

>> Tholen bought himself some pointy-green "Spock Ears" from some loser
>> at a Star Dreck convention.

> From where did he buy the "personality"?

Classic invective, as expected from someone who lacks a logical argument.

And you still think that you're "emulating" the way I've been ignoring
Malloy, Marty?  Not even close.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:20:27 -0000

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:39:54 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:957i20$h7q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> : Deism is a belief in the existance of God.
>>
>> One that has nothing to do with Christianity.  Which is kind of
>> important considering what this subthread is about.
>
>By that token, Judaism isn't welcome in this country either, which is
>ridiculous.
>
>> : Atheism is a belief in the non-existance of God.
>>
>> No it isn't.  It's the lack of the belief that god does exist.
>> To call this a belief rather than simple default skepticism is
>> to assume that god existing is the default, which is circular.
>
>No, Atheism is the believe that god doesn't exist.  Agnosticism is the lack
>of a belief in god.
>
>Atheism is active disbelief, Agnisticism is skepticism about the belief.

        No, atheism is lack of belief. If you null hypothesis is that
        deities and the supernatural don't exist, then no active
        'belief' is not necessary.

        Agnosticism is more of a position that the issue is unsolved
        or unsolvabe.

--

        Having seen my prefered platform being eaten away by vendorlock and
        the Lemming mentality in the past, I have a considerable motivation to

        Free Software is the only way to level the playing field against a
        market leader that has become immune to market pressures.

        The other alternatives are giving up and just allowing the mediocrity
        to walk all over you or to see your prefered product die slowly.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: CR Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: M$ websites down again - Problem solved -> use Linux!
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:33:54 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:YJtd6.64679$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >  Figuring out a problem requires testing an awful lot of things
> > > before even narrowing it down to a specific piece of hardware, and a
> > > specific configuration.  You don't know if it's a hardware failure, a
> > > configuraiton failure, a NAP failure, etc..
> >
> > Traceroute tells you where the packets stop.   Fix that box and you
> > are usually done.
>
> You have the benefit of hindsight.  Knowing it was a router problem.  To get
> to that stage, you have to go through a lot of diagnosis.  They probably
> initially concentrated on the DNS servers.  Whatever the problem, it's not
> as black and white as you pretend it is.

Its hindsight only for MS. Everyone else knew about this, oh, perhaps
10,000 years ago. About the first time some one said "Don't put all your
eggs in one basket". I've been doing single-point-of-failure studies for
35 years myself.

--
Russ
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Linux  headache
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:35:00 -0000

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:22:28 -0600, Robert Morelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> My patients with people like you is running out. Nothing requires you to
>> recompile a Kernel. Just get the latest kernel package from your distro.
>
>I don't know what I need your patience for.  I didn't ask you for
>anything.
>
>As for recompiling the kernel,  why don't you ask the original poster
>why he has been trying to do it.  I'm sure it didn't just pop into his
>mind spontaneously.  Let me also quote Matt Welsh
>from the O'Reilly book ``Running Linux'':  ``Rebuilding the kernel sounds
>like a pasttime for hackers,  but it is an important skill for any system
>administrator.''
>
>Why do we need to rebuild the kernel?  Because of a serious design flaw
>in Linux according to which device drivers were embedded directly into
>the kernel in a very sloppy and non-modular way.  In the past few years

        Which one's did you have in mind? Very little is actually
        embedded into the kernel such that you will need to rebuild
        a kernel for a driver upgrade.

>there has been a move towards loadable device drivers,  an idea which
>the rest of the world discovered sometime in the age of dinosaurs.

        Linux has had loadable device drivers for as long as there
        have been shrinkwrapped versions of Linux available at
        retail computing stores.

        Infact, there were kernel modules capable of ISA pnp available
        for Linux before such features appeared in WinDOS.

[deletia]

        Meanwhile, Microsoft forces you to do a version upgrade to get
        USB support or FAT32 support. So claiming that Linux is somehow
        handicapped when it comes to kernel level modularity is rather
        dishonest.

--

        Section 8. The Congress shall have power...

        To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for
        limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their
        respective writings and discoveries;
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:41:44 -0000

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 14:01:21 +1300, Tony Neville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:49:17 +1300, Tony Neville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> >Was the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness a sentiment to
>> >be found in Humanism in those days?   If so, Humanism then as NO
>>
>> It still is.
>
>It isn't.
>
>> You might actually bother reading these things for yourself rather than
>> merely taking taking the slander of someone with a conflict of interest as
>> gospel.
>
>Do you recommend I not read anymore books on sociology, or material
>from so-called Rationalist organisations, or lurk on humanist newgroups?

        Then by all means cite some.

        Try to come up with sources more recent than 1933.

[deletia]
>> Idealists briefly flirted with Marxism due to the simple fact
>> that it seems a more Humane system on the surface. This was
>> true for a time (in general) about 70 years ago.
>
>In my country marxism neither died in academic circles nor in government.
>The same goes for much of Western Europe and Canada.

        What ever you say McCarthy.

>> You are utilitizing a common FUD tactic: pretending that grossly
>> out of date information is currently relevant.
>
>Well, I don't know what FUD is, and nothing I wrote was out-of-date.
[deletia]

        Bullshit. Your ramblings are out of date by 70 years.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: CR Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for Linux being more Difficult than Windows
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 01:42:30 GMT

"Christopher L. Estep" wrote:

> "Russ Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > The ISP considers NT more important to support than W2K. I ask why they
> > don't have more Linux support. The answer was "Linux users don't need
> > our support. They usually support us."
> > I know MS is trying to obsolete NT, but the market doesn't seem to be
> > going along.
>
> We (meaning @Home) support both equally.  Other ISPs may "skew" things
> toward one OS or another.  The ONLY 32-bit OS we don't officially support is
> Linux (it does NOT mean that Linux won't work, however).

Same is true for Earthlink. It is just that W2K and Linux are cast into
the other-OS category with longer wait on-line for help. As they said,
Linux users don't need much help. Perhaps the same is true of W2K.

--
Russ
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: Milton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:42:26 -0500

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:36:01 -0600, "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>"Milton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> >DNS secure updates weren't added to BIND until version 9, which came out
>> >last year I believe.
>
>No comment?

Ok -> Total bullshit :)

"In anticipation of this type of misuse of dynamic DNS, a secure version
of  Dynamic DNS (DNSSEC) was specified in RFC 2137. However, while
BIND version 8.1 was the first to implement RFC 2136 dynamic update, it
was not until version 8.2 that any support for DNSSEC was provided.
(BIND 8.1.x does, however, provide the ability to control dynamic
updates via IP address.)
http://www.lucent-netcare.com/knowledge/whitepapers/win_2k_dns_integration.asp

>> >Yes, MS was actually implementing these standards before BIND did.  That
>was
>> >the problem.
>>
>> That's amazing since BIND has been around long before W2K and Active
>> Directory even existed.
>
>But Secure updating in BIND was not.  BIND 9.1 specifically states that the
>"new features"  of BIND 9 include DNS Secuity, specifically DNSSEC (signed
>zones) and TSIG (signed DNS requests).

Wrong again

BIND 8.2.1 Highlights
Bug fixes, especially to DNSSEC, TSIG, IXFR, and selective forwarding.
http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/docs/bind8.2_highlights.html

>> >You don't know what you're talking about.  .NET is not built on DNS or
>> >ActiveDirectory at all.
>>
>> It is built on W2K which incorperates the DNS services of Active
>> Directory.
>
>No, ActiveDirectory is built on DNS services, not the other way around.

Irrelevant, the point is:

Windows 2000 DNS *only provides secure updates* when the DNS zones are
configured as Active Directory Integrated zones

>> > Most of what .NET is, doesn't even involve the network.
>>
>> Do you realise how stupid that comment is?
>>
>> If the network (aka the internet or intranet) is down or inaccesable
>> .NET is basically worthless.
>
>Completely false.  That's like saying Java is useless without a network,
>which is also completely false.

Actually Java the languge is quite useful with or without a network.
A javastation would be equally useless tho.

Please enlighten me as to how I am supposed to accomplish anything if my
application and data are stored on a remote server and the network is
down or just as important if I receive a host address unknown error?

Do you understand what .NET is and/or is supposed to do??

It does this by joining the tightly coupled, highly productive aspects
of n-tier computing with the loosely coupled, message-oriented concepts
of the Web. This style of computing is called Web services and
represents the next evolution of application development. A Web service
is an application that exposes its features programmatically over the
Internet or intranet using standard Internet protocols like Hypertext
Transfer Protocol (HTTP) and XML. It may be helpful to think of it as
component-programming over the Web.

It also depends on BASIC SERVICES like DNS.

There's also a ton of other vaporware BS at:
http://www.microsoft.com/net/

  Milton B. Hewitt
  CAUCE Member - http://www.cauce.org
  Proud supporter of the Microsoft Boycott Campaign
  http://www.vcnet.com/bms/