  Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?) ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: how come you have to reboot when you change DNS servers in Windows?
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:28:40 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, jtnews wrote:
> > >I was trying to experiment with
> > >various networking options in windows
> > >98se and for each little different
> > >configuration like changing a DNS server
> > >I had to reboot windows.  Why is that?
> > >Does Win2K require you to do the same thing?
> > >

> > Their networking is straight in the kernel.
> > They don't have a modular kernel.
> >
> > >How come in Linux you can turn the networking
> > >interfaces on and off and configure whatever you
> > >want without doing any reboot?
> > >

> > Modular Kernel
> >
> > >Can't Microsoft make Windows more like Linux
> > >in this regard?
> >
> > They've been trying to create UNIX since day 1.
>
> ...Missed it by Thaaaat much! <g>

A mere 180 degrees of arc.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You're not just Whistler, XP!
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:29:50 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:95ogos$94g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Really

> 90$
> > >
> > > Man, Microsoft must be running out of creativity.  They have given the
> > > name "Windows XP" to Whistler, and "Office XP" to Office.  Read here
> > > what XP means:
> > >

> http://computerworld.com/cwi/story/0%2C1199%2CNAV47_STO57388_NLTam%2C00.htm
> > >
> > > Sounds like the name of Speed Racer's new vehicle.
> >
> > I agree, what was wrong with Whistler & Office 10 ?
>
> What's wrong with this picture is that more work will probably go into it's
> marketing than its' conception and design.
>
> Come to think of it Whistler leaves this mental image of an old lady in a
> rocking chair...Not exactly high tech imagery.

...or ... someone walking down the street late at night in an
unfamiliar neighborhood......alone......and scared.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:30:57 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:63Pf6.560$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Thanks but no thanks...Windows 2000 Professional is the end of the line
> for
> > me. Whistler is totally unnecessary and .NET will NEVER pollute one of my
> > machines. It's about as transparent a money vacuum as DIVX was. We will
> > neither utilize it nor develop for it - period. It is something to be
> > viewed with disdain, not anticipation. Only the severely short-sighted
> > would actually welcome such a system.
>
> Spoken just like someone without a clue about what .NET is.
>
> (HINT:  The subscription based services are only a tiny part of it, and
> something that very few .NET programs will take advantage of.  If this is
> the only argument you can come up with, you're going to be quite surprised).

OK, Erik The-laughably-named...why don't you tell us *precisely* what
.NET is.....

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: 6 Feb 2001 14:31:20 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy I R A Darth Aggie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 6 Feb 2001 06:30:49 GMT,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in
> <95o5mp$gp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> + In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> + > Anyway, why are you guys polluting this serious newsgroup?
> + > Be nice.  Go to a sucks site or some advocacy site, to
> + > talk this crap, por favor.
> +
> + I been here WAY longer than you.

> So what? That and a US$1.07 will get you a cup o' coffee.

Thats very witty.

> + YOU go away.

> Act like a professional, not a 15 y.o. skript kiddie...

A professional?  Why, exactly?

I'm not getting paid to post to this group, dickcheese.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the desktop
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 14:44:49 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[-snip-]
> btw, if you are talking about "joe public", I don't
> think that care about OS at all - they just want something
> that works and does what they want it too. By this measure,
> no OS (should relly say "system") fits "joe public's" need yet - they
> all suck.

But according to the "Operating System Sucks-Rules-O-Meter", Linux sucks
far less than Windows.  And Windows sucks more with every release.  See
for yourself -

http://srom.zgp.org/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux is INFERIOR to Windows
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 13:50:10 GMT

yttrx writes:
> That machine must have been very useful after 18 years.

Why wouldn't it be?  If it ran the power plant (or whatever) usefully
eighteen years ago, why would it cease to do so just because time has
passed?

Such machines exist to do jobs, not to display cool graphics.
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: 6 Feb 2001 14:55:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>1. People are just not interested in Linux,

What about you? You're very interested in it.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TRS 80 [ was Bill Gates and Michael Dell ]
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:03:52 -0500

Shane Phelps wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> >
> > Shane Phelps wrote:
> > >
> > > CP/M used to run on almost everything using the Z80 *except* for
> > > the TRaSh 80. The TRS80 had TRS-DOS and another disk operating system
> > > which I can't remember (and I used it for 2 years). It was great. I could
> > > fit 180KB on a floppy
> > >
> > > Most of the serious CP/M systems were Zenith, Heathkit, etc, at the time.
> > > I bought a Z80 board with CP/M for my Apple II but I wasn't terribly
> > > impressed. I didn't like the Apple II much, either. I thought the TRaSh80
> > > was much better.
> > > Or did the Model II run CP/M? About all I can remember is it used 8"
> > > floppies.
> > >
> > > As a completely irrelevant aside, one of Tandy's TRS80 guys has released
> > > a stack of TRS80 stuff on the web, and even has a TRS80 emulator.
> > > Once I work out how to read my old SS/SD  5 1/4" disks I'll have to give
> > > it a spin for old times' sake :-)
> > >

> > > Do you remember the TRS-80 Model 16? It had a 68k and ran Xenix. I
> > > would've *loved* to have had the money to buy one of those ;-)
> > >
> > Hi Shane,
> >
> > I think you're meaning NewDos80, which ran really good on those little
>                          ^^^^^^^^^
>
> Yes, you're right. I'm glad there's somebody here old enough to remember
> that and with a good enough memory not to forget it :-)
>
> > bastards. Floppy-disk access is STILL faster than the fastest PC now
> > manages because of the clever layout Tandy did (directory in the middle
> > of the disk, hash codes for access. Those machines NEVER needed more
> > than 3 disk-accesses (at most) to get to the file because of that
> > hash-coding. I disassembled that part of the DOS and made it even faster).
> > Same coding was used on hard-disks, that sucker ran rings around a PC
> > with hard-disk then (8 MHz Z80 is about even, perhaps a little faster than
> > the 4,7 MHz 8088 of the PC's than en vogue)
> >

> I never did put a hard disk on my Model 1. By the time I had enough money
> the poor old thing was getting a bit old. It served honorably in
> retirement
> with my nephews and nieces playing tape-based games and learning a little
> Pascal and C programming.
> You're giving it such a glowing report I think I'll have to revive it
> and try to relive some more of my misspent youth :-)

Such machines are GREAT for making a centralized household controller
(automatic power switches, etc.)

> > You're right with Zenith, Heathkit et al, although a Cromenco was just the
> > REAL THING at that time (who remembers those old S100-machines)
> >
> > The TRS80 DID run CP/M, at least the Model IV was good at that.
> > Model II did it also.
>
> The Model IV was a bit modern (and expensive) for me. I loved my Model
> I, though.
>
> > The older ones needed a hacked version because of the ROM-Layout.
> > And right, Model 16 was good (and way to expensive). Tandy's downfall began
> > later as they tried to get on the PC-bus. Their PC-machines weren't really
> > compatibel, so people stayed away from them.
> >
> The 80186-based model was quite interesting (couldn't afford *that* either)
> What probably did for them in the end was jumping on the MCA bandwagon.
> THey were still quite a force up until then, but withered away.
> They had some good machines for the time, and some horrible ones.
> I remember they were still quite common here in Australia in the late 1980s.
>
> > Ah, those were the days.... (when we were young AND good-looking. Now we're
> > only AND)
> >
> > --
> > Linux is simply a fad that has been generated by the media
> > We are Borg. Resistance is futile (Borg Gates)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron R Kulkis
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:04:35 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> : > Still, I suppose it has to be so when Linux attracts mostly long hair
> : > weirdos.
>
> : There's nothing wrong with long haired weirdos.  I'm a long haired
> : weirdo, but I bet I'm better with computers than you are.
>
> Watch for longhairs who use heavy-duty calculators as a Palm Pilot...

I was doing that in 1987 with an HP-28S

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:08:58 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> > The very fact that feature is being proposed is enough to conjure up past
> > memories of subscription based software from the early eighties. It is a
> > blatant rip-off and causes your TCO to skyrocket. Actually, i'm surprised
> > its' taken this long, with the Internet being what it is now, for someone
> > to seriously pursue such a course again. The consumer sector said no,
> > resoundingly, to DIVX and i'm hoping that the commercial sector takes the
> > same tact with this profit mongering.
> >
> > I've heard some of the jucier technical details of .NET and, as a
> > developer, I see the potential. I also see the scenario I just ranted on.
> > We've made the decision not to develop for it and we won't. If it takes
> > off, and I don't see it doing so... One of the alternative OS's will just
> > have to be modified to counter it. Be it Linux or BSD.
>
> As I understand it, .NET will be accessible to any OS, it's just that
> Windows tools will be the first down the pike.  Of course, that
> common-language substrate will be lowest-common-denominator, and
> Microsoft will change it whenever they see fit, giving developers fits.
> It'll be as stable as OLE/COM/COM+/ActiveX/DCOM.....

In other words...more shifting sandbars in a hurricane.

> Chris
>
> --
> This Windows OS is ghak!  I need dual Pentium
> processors to do battle with this code!!!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.