From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the desktop
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:09:51 -0500

pip wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > [crap snipped]
> > Don't believe me?
> >
> > I suggest you try Linux for yourself and make your own mind up.
> >
> > Flatfish
> > Why do they call it a flatfish?
> > Remove the ++++ to reply.
>
> Why are you _so_ scared of Linux? Are you worried
> that one day it will be better than anything you could buy
> from microsoft?
>
> btw, if you are talking about "joe public", I don't
> think that care about OS at all - they just want something
> that works and does what they want it too. By this measure,
> no OS (should relly say "system") fits "joe public's" need yet - they
> all suck.

True.  Microsoft *had* their opportunity.

They've not only dropped the ball, but they keep poking it
with an ice pick.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Old Flame(war)s [ was Bill Gates and Michael Dell ]
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:11:09 -0500

Shane Phelps wrote:

> > Heath/zenith's (really the same thing) computers were toys compared to
> > quality S-100 systems.
> >

> Hey guys, how about all us BOFs forget about this newfangled Windows vs
> Linux stuff and get back to the *real* flame wars - TRS80 vs Apple vs
> CP/M ;-)
>
> We can all get out our home-made RS-232 adapters and acoustic couplers
> and flame away at 120 bps (who could afford 300 bps?)

And don't forget the teletype paper.

> How can 20 years have gone so fast? Hell, this makes me feel old
> well, middle-aged anyway :-(

Yes, it *has* been fast, hasn't it.

> and the funny thing about all this is that Unix systems were something
> most of us could only *dream* of using back then unless we were University
> students. Now they're running the world and we get *paid* for using them.

> > -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:12:26 -0500

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snip>
> > Start writing letters to manufacturers AND vendors and retailers that
> > you will *NOT* buy any product for which an open source driver is
> > not in existance.
> >
> > You might also mention that you make, or advise upon, hardware
> > purchasing within your company.
>
> So, you were thinking of running an actual computer eh? hahaa

Fuck, I've DESIGNED AND BUILT computers from scratch (that is,
*no* motherboard...had to wire up all that stuff myself).

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:13:40 -0500

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:63Pf6.560$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:95lj67$5ck$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > take
> > my

> environment,
> first

> > well
> > >
> > > Well, I suggest that you would wait and get Whistler when it's out.
> > > Really cool OS, and none of the you-are-too-stupid-to-use-this nonesense
> > > from ME.
> > > And, anyway, rumor says that Whistler personal will be only 50$ - 90$
> > > (For comparison, ME (and 2K upgrade) is  $169.99 )
> >
> > Thanks but no thanks...Windows 2000 Professional is the end of the line
> for
> > me. Whistler is totally unnecessary and .NET will NEVER pollute one of my
> > machines. It's about as transparent a money vacuum as DIVX was. We will
> > neither utilize it nor develop for it - period. It is something to be
> > viewed with disdain, not anticipation. Only the severely short-sighted
> > would actually welcome such a system.
>
> Tom:
> "I used to drive one of them model-T auto-mo-biles and then drove me a horse
> and that darned horse never had a flat tire or broke down on some old dirt
> road - now they say there is some new fangled newer auto-mo-bile coming
> out - ahhhhh - phewie. I already rode one of thme and anyone buying one of
> those auto-mo-bile things is short-sighted, it'll never last. I'll keep my
> trusty horse, you don't need to go no faster than 30 mph or ride more than
> double up or nothing! damn whipper snappers, i prefer old horse pockey
> rather than those new advanced gadget things"
>
> Short-sighted? ahahaha, you are really funny. You talk like you actually
> think linux will be anything more than what oS/2 is today or the amiga os or
> dr-dos or macOS or...

What?  Your car doesn't have retractible windshield wipers?
Hell, you're just out of it...it's only $75,000..

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X-windows sucks..sucks...sucks!!!!
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:18:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> pip wrote:
> >
> > mlw wrote:
> > >
> > > bigbinc wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > (2)I can run an X program on any machine and display its windows
on any other
> > > machine. (MS can't even come close.)
> >
> > if you can remember:
> > xauth +ip   (and remember the security problems)
> > export DISPLAY=ip:0
>
> oops:
> set DISPLAY=DISPLAY+ip:0
> export DISPLAY
>
> is it? let me check the documentation again........
>
> :-)

export DISPLAY=ip:0

Under bash

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Ben Reiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:35:30 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, G3
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], Black Dragon at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 2/5/01 10:41 PM:
>
> > : Ah, the IBM M-series ;)  the massive clicky monstrosity that strikes
> > : fear into the hearts of LAN gamers everywhere... Between that and the
> > : Apple USB Extended II, The Just Don't Make 'Em Like That Anymore.
>
> You mean ADB Extended II right?  The USB Extended 2 is pretty new.

oops, yeah.  you're right.  me big dork.  big tired dork.

The ADB extended 2 is the one I meant.  You know, the one that looks and
feels like an aircraft carrier?

\Ben

--
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher regard
those who think alike than those who think differently" - Nietzche

My address above has no spamproofing - spam me, and I'll get your throwaway
account cancelled, guaranteed.

------------------------------

From: Ben Reiter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:38:20 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon) wrote:

> Got any left-side Function Key, keyboards? I know a number of CAD/CAM
> jockeys (including myself) that would love to get there meat-hooks
> on a few of those animals, and they are rather scarce today.

None that I've seen, but if you're anywhere near a largish university,
check out the salvage yards.  Never know what you'll find - and it's not
all keyboards, either.  I got a new-in-box Sun 17" color display for
$25...!?  Who prices this stuff?

\Ben

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:49:46 -0500

Robert Morelli wrote:

> In article <95o4np$d5p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "bigbinc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > I am very pissed off.  I like Linux and Unix.  I have been studying the
> > works of Linux from his earlier versions of linux and it is very good
> > modification of the minix system.  The author of Minix actual argues
> > that a microkernel based is more efficient but linux still is more
> > powerful.  Anyway, with all that said, Linux the Os is Cool.  What is it
> > missing, a GUI that is worthy something.  And, I have been trying x-
> > windows and I just quit because I just found out how crappy the system
> > is and a waste of my time.  I would rather have more fun writing an
> > alternative and wonder if someone has(I think I will actually). Because
> > X-windows is just too bothersome.  Does anybody else agree?
>
> I do agree.  You might want to have a look at
>
> http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/talks/usenix2000/render.html
>
> which explains the historical context in which the highly limited
> X Window system was created,  and laments the 13 years of
> stagnation that have left us in the technological hole we're now in.
>
> Many Linux/Unix users live in denial about how poor Linux
> technologies like X Window are.  This is very unfortunate because
> it contributes to the kind of extreme stagnation that those of us
> who'd like something better must suffer through.  Sadly,  your
> posting here will probably only generate some flames.

In the 15 years that Microsoft has been in existance, has ANYBODY
outside of the Unix/Linux community presented a way to put an
arbitrary number of FULLY FUNCTIONAL GUI interface on remote machines?

> > Berlin Brown [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > This guy agrees with me.
> > http://catalog.com/hopkins/unix-haters/x-windows/disaster.html
> >
> > --
> > "...yes darling, computers are people too..."
> > bama.ua.edu/~brown084

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "surrender" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:50:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote something like:

[why linux sucks on the desktop acoording to flatfish]

Why do you keep telling that us linux isn't ready for the desktop over and
over again. I don't think that you will convince a lot of people who have
made linux their primary o/s to switch back to windows. And if Joe user
wants to keep using windows, that's ok for me. I even think I would turn
to another o/s if everybody was using linux. Maybe because I would find
it lame to use the same o/s as everybody, maybe as a challenge, maybe
because I like the idea of not having to pay for my software. I
don't really know why I switched from windows to linux, and I can assure
you that it wasn't an easy step. But now that I know how to use it, I
really like it, and this kind of posts won't make me turn back to windows.

Just my 0.02.

--
Greets
surrender

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X-windows...the best
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:00:42 -0500

bigbinc wrote:

> I am very pissed off.  I like Linux and Unix.  I have been studying the
> works of Linux from his earlier versions of linux and it is very good
> modification of the minix system.  The author of Minix actual argues
> that a microkernel based is more efficient but linux still is more
> powerful.  Anyway, with all that said, Linux the Os is Cool.  What is
> it missing, a GUI that is worthy something.  And, I have been trying x-
> windows and I just quit because I just found out how crappy the system
> is and a waste of my time.  I would rather have more fun writing an
> alternative and wonder if someone has(I think I will actually).
> Because X-windows is just too bothersome.  Does anybody else agree?

Name a better protocol....just one

> Berlin Brown
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> This guy agrees with me.
> http://catalog.com/hopkins/unix-haters/x-windows/disaster.html
>
> --
> "...yes darling, computers are people too..."
> bama.ua.edu/~brown084
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.