From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Linux @ $19.95 per month
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:34:46 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chad Myers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 22 Mar 2001 03:23:50 GMT
<afeu6.8700$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Interconnect" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:99b65v$e58$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > Linux is all the bad stuff of Unix, without any of the good
>> > stuff.
>> Care to elaborate?
>>
>> At my place of work we run DG/UX (admittedly an old installation) and Linux,
>> I find many aspects of Linux superior to Unix.
>> E.g. linuxconf, mailconf, locate, being able to use the up arrow to access
>> you cmd history.
>
>It's more like making Unix a little more bearable, but I was referring
>more at the systems level, however. Linux has shoddy SMP and network
>threading (just to name a few), unlike most commercial Unicies and NT/2K.

It's worse than that, Chad.  Linux has absolutely horrible APIs, as they
are not flexible enough (they're too simple, unlike NT/2K's).
The GUI system is completely separate from the kernel, which leads to
all sorts of confusion.  Worse, there are *several look and feels*,
all implemented by various applications and libraries in a completely
chaotic fashion -- from the bare-bones simplisticness of Athena (which
at least now has been upgraded from absolutely homely to reasonably
useful with Xaw3d) to the tried-and-true Motif and its Lesstif clone
to Java's two GUIs to various specialized tools such as xev (which is
intended more for programmers) and oclock and daliclock, to the
state-of-the-art GTK and QT which are duking it out for "king of the
Linux desktop".

And there's entirely far too much reliance on command-line techology.
Unlike NT/2k, which gives helpful and attractive dialog screens,
movable pulldown menus, and Rich Text Format, users on Linux must
struggle along with well-documented but arcane command line scripts
and config entries, which can allow for very complicated management.

The Apache webserver system is widely regarded as one of the most
complicated systems in the modern computing sphere; unlike IIS where
one just writes the web pages and goes.  Jakarta?  Tomcat?  SSL/TLS?
All must be separately installed, or bundled.

Java servlets are demonstrably inferior to their ActiveX component cousins.
ActiveX components can do anything, unlike Java, which is limited (by
design) to only those things allowed by its own SecurityManager.

The Linux development environment has no standard.  One can purchase
IDEs or obtain them for free, if desired (Delphi comes to mind, although
I've not used it; Cold Fusion, as well), but Microsoft shines in the
realm of standardization and GUI technology with such tools as VC++.

N O W ...

Before anyone attacks me as being completely nuts :-) , I'll merely point
out that the above is a bit of what might be construed as "flexible
wording" -- the shining of a flashlight at completely the wrong
angle can transform the most beautiful face into the most hideous
monster, and one can look at the ugliest beast and see the heart of
gold within, metaphorically speaking (anybody hearing the theme from
a Disney movie yet? :-) ).  Reread the above carefully.

Linux has a good sound heart.  Microsoft has a beautiful face.

Spot The Difference.

This doesn't mean Linux can't be improved.  One bug in particular --
and it is a legitimate bug -- is the NIC threading issue.  Other
bugs include issues with memory allocation (Linux likes to (used to like?)
give away memory it doesn't have, then kill an arbitrary process when it
runs out of swap space and asks for more).  The CLI/GUI debate is an old one
and ongoing, probably forever.  Consistency of GUI is a minor but
important issue to some.  The X programming environment can get pretty
raw -- though raw Windows is no picnic either.

I'll also comment that Win2k is a decided improvement, or at least that's
what I'm given to understand, over NT4 -- despite NT4's reliability claims.
I haven't used it extensively enough to be sure.

>> You must admit however Win2K is pretty shoddy as a Network Server OS.
>
>That's stupid. Win2K is a great server OS. Certainly better than Linux
>at most tasks. If you need a 386 DNS server, Linux is your choice, but
>for everything else, there's Win2K.

I would be surprised if Win2k didn't run on a 386.  It'll be dog slow
and paging like crazy, of course -- it would be one of those
"yeah, it can be done, but why bother?" sort of things.

>Linux sucks as a fileserver because it relies on Samba, which sucks.

Ahem...there are other remote file access protocols than SMB, you
know; the most obvious one is NFS (which has its own issues).
Another is AFS, which never quite caught on AFAICT.

I'm also given to understand that Microsoft upgraded SMB (in part
because Samba was threatening to eat their lunch :-) ).
Samba is now having some problems (one that I've noticed for example
is that, if one edits a page on the Unix server, Samba doesn't
always pick up the changes properly on a remote client, especially
if it's already been read by said remote client).

>It also has poor network threading (cite: Mindcraft and Linus' own
>admissions) and still has that rediculous 2GB limit for the most part.

Only on 32-bit machines.  I'm given to understand 2.4.x will fix this
also, and I already know a simple workaround (unfortunately, it has
to be applied during compilation of the source code):

g++ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D__USE_FILE_OFFSET64 ...

As for network threading, I've already commented thereon.  One would
hope that's fixed by now.

>-c

                    This is the best part of the message.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:38:55 -0600
From: "Public <Anonymous_Account>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kulkis not Chad, Gates (was Re Unix/Linux Professionalism)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 02:00:42 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Martin Eden wrote:
>

>> So, unless you are claiming to be either:
>

>> a. A member of the United States Marine Corps
>

>> b. A Kuwaiti national, and a member of the 35th Armored Brigade
>

>> c. A member of the 5th Special Forces Group, or
>

>> d. A citizen of one of the smaller coalition states, serving in
>
>> one of the Joint Command units
>

>> you are lying about being in Kuwait and taking fire in combat.
>

>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&th=d8fc37d269e13f2&ic=1&seekd=946156921
>

>How much time have you wasted on this so far?
>

>--
>
>Aaron R. Kulkis
>
>College Dropout
>
>DNRC Minister of Masturbation
>
>ICQ # 3056642

New Alert!  It has been verified, Aaron Kulkis is a wacko!

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:34:23 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I really wish you would make up your simple little mind, aaron.  Just afew weeks ago
>> you were convinced the US government blew up the building.  You were quoting sources
>> and stuff.  Does this mean you admit you are full of shit and tend to jump to
>> conclusions based on
>> ridiculous stories?
>>
>> Does to me!
>

>All I *EVER* said was that it appears that the bombing took place with the
>full knowledge of some US federal government personnel.
>
>1) The BATF, right down to whoever is supposed to be answering
>the phones,  did not report to the office that day.
>
>Why is that?
>

>2) Large numbers of emergency personnel (ambulances, firefighters, etc.)
>were sooooo conveniently milling around downtown Oklahoma City on the day
>of the bombing.  How *convenient*.
>

>Why is that?
>

>Face it....certain parties within the bureacracy KNEW that the
>Murrah building was going to be hit with a terrorist attack that
>day.
>
>Or do you have some other, VALID explanation for (1) and (2) above.
>

>--
>Aaron R. Kulkis
>College Dropout
>DNRC Minister of Masturbation
>ICQ # 3056642

---
This message did not originate from the Sender address above.
It was posted with the use of anonymizing software at
http://anon.xg.nu
---

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What is user friendly?
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:45:28 -0500

Anonymous wrote:

> "Craig Oshima" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "User friendly" does not mean "usable if you can write your OS."

Spot the strawman argument.  Nobody is making that claim.

> fucking hardcore

I doubt that even one of the 100,000 or so draftsmen, detailers, and
designers who design automobiles, aircraft, and weapon systems with
CAD software running on Unix system have the slightest clue as to
how to write an operating system.

>                     jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> more even than death
> - bertrand russell

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Fereira)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:47:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:18:23 GMT, John Fereira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <nWgu6.69$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Thanks.  I didn't realize that the compiler was providing the redirection.
>>Now that I think about it, it's pretty easy to implement for any CLI
>>application that I might write.
>>>
>>>Why did they have to provide it?  Because MS didn't.
>>
>>>You'll find that trick ONLY works with javac (possibly other individual
>>>tools, but for example dir 2>bla.txt wont work, because dos doesn't actually
>>>understand it)
>>
>>I don't use the dir command when I'm running a dos command prompt.  I have
>>a whole slew of unix like utilities written to run in dos.   Just because the
>>place I work gave me a desktop machine running Windows NT doesn't mean
>>that I have to restrict it's use to running software from Microsoft.
>>

>Fine.  I think the real point was that real redirection in not built into DOS.
>Applications can try implementing it on their own (i.e. javac), but DOS
>is pretty stupid, hence your need to round up a "whole slew of unix like
>utilities written to run in dos".

Isn't Linux mostly a whole slew of unix utilities (plus a kernel) that were
written by a bunch of different people and rounded up?   I agree DOS is
stupid, but then I don't tend to use "ed" on unix much either.

John Fereira
Ithaca, NY

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:50:37 -0500

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:54:01 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> bzzzzz!  Wrong again General.  You've already told us that you haven't been
> >> educated since 1988 so I am not sure how exactly you're supposed to know
> >> this.
> >
> >Considering that the Unix family of operating systems is the most advanced,
> >flexible, operating system, with an extremely good performance/price ratio
> >on nearly any combination of hardware manufactured after 1970...for an
> >institution of higher learning to neglect is...educational malpractice.
> >

> Most "college's worth attending" don't "teach UNIX".  They'll teach
> fundamentals like mutual exclusion, process and threads management,
> memory managment, file systems, network theory, algorithms,
> software engineering, etc., etc.   They'll certainly use Unix and
> Linux systems, but they won't "teach Unix" per se.

Strange.  When I was at Purdue, I noticed that when these sorts of things
were discussed in class, the relevant aspects of Unix were ALWAYS taught.

Or would you call it an effective teaching strategy to give a programming
assignment to be written on a Unix platform, mandating the use of, say,
dynamic memory allocation without introducing the malloc() function....

There might not be classes specifically devoted TO Unix...but any
college worth attending is going to have a at minimum, a significant
portion of programming assignments on Unix systems.  If you don't
teach the students at least the rudiments of the system which you
are telling them to use, then there is something very, very wrong
with *you*.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:50:36 GMT

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, The Ghost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The Apache webserver system is widely regarded as one of the most
>complicated systems in the modern computing sphere; unlike IIS where
>one just writes the web pages and goes.  Jakarta?  Tomcat?  SSL/TLS?
>All must be separately installed, or bundled.

Unlike IIS where one just writes the web pages and goes home while
every script kiddy in the universe breaks into IIS to modify your
webpages and make you look like an idiot.

>Java servlets are demonstrably inferior to their ActiveX component cousins.
>ActiveX components can do anything, unlike Java, which is limited (by
>design) to only those things allowed by its own SecurityManager.

ActiveX components can do anything, including letting anyone in the world
do anything they want to your system.

>The Linux development environment has no standard.  One can purchase
>IDEs or obtain them for free, if desired (Delphi comes to mind, although
>I've not used it; Cold Fusion, as well), but Microsoft shines in the
>realm of standardization and GUI technology with such tools as VC++.

It is a complete falsehood to refer to VC++ as being in the realm of
"standardization".  If you don't follow THE standard and can't compile
ANSI standard C++, then you're not part of any standardization, now
are you?   "Microsoft shines in the realm of standardization and
GUI technology"....man, what planet are you from?

>N O W ...
>
>Before anyone attacks me as being completely nuts :-) , I'll merely point
>out that the above is a bit of what might be construed as "flexible
>wording" -- the shining of a flashlight at completely the wrong
>angle can transform the most beautiful face into the most hideous
>monster, and one can look at the ugliest beast and see the heart of
>gold within, metaphorically speaking (anybody hearing the theme from
>a Disney movie yet? :-) ).  Reread the above carefully.

OK..NOW can we say you're completely nuts?

>Linux has a good sound heart.  Microsoft has a beautiful face.

Yes...Microsoft's face looks something like:

       \|/
      --*--
       /|\

>Spot The Difference.

Spot the face?  Hint: think bending over and puckering.

>I would be surprised if Win2k didn't run on a 386.  It'll be dog slow
>and paging like crazy, of course -- it would be one of those
>"yeah, it can be done, but why bother?" sort of things.

SURPRISE!

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:51:44 -0500

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 00:40:00 GMT, Quantum Leaper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >Most Universities still teach Cobol/Mainframe as the center of their CS
> >degrees.  How useful is that?   At least that what my friend told me,  when
> >he was looking at some Universities.   Most programmers I know use C/C++.
> >BTW the local college centers around teaching C/C++ as the intro language
> >for the CS degrees, instead of Cobol.
> >

> This is NOT true at all.  Maybe business and management departments
> and schools will still teach COBOL, BIG maybe.  There is no way that
> CS department at the university level is going to teach COBOL.  COBOL has
> no place in modern software engineering and hence a CS department has no
> reason to even discuss COBOL, accept as an aside perhaps.

Name one Fortune 500 company that doesn't pay considerable sums of money
maintaining COBOL code.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 15:55:00 -0500

John Fereira wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >>
> >> Said Shades in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:48:36 -0500;

> >> Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!  And what large manufacturer of technology do *you*
> >> run, Mr. "Business Accumen"?
> >
> >Well, he's been running his asshole more or less successfully for
> >a couple of years now.
>
> As opposed to yours, which seem to have been stopped up for a couple a years,
> and it's pretty easy to figure out what that makes you full of.

Spot the pissed off soc.singles fossil who's upset that his little
fiefdom of Politically Correct-shrouded hate has been....invaded,
pillaged, and burned to the ground.

EEEP! EEP! EEP! prancing nancyboy.

> John Fereira
> Ithaca, NY
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.