From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Code Decay
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:22:27 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 09 Feb 2001 16:40:58 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >

> >Bloody Viking wrote:
> >>
> >> Aaron R. Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >> : Bloody Viking wrote:
> >>
> >> : > That's the Johnny Cash approach, one piece at a time. (: While we allegedly
> >> :              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >>
> >> : That was pretty funny.
> >>
> >> An obvious reference to the song about the car stolen from the factory by
> >> smuggling out each part.
> >>
> >> : With conventional explosives, you have to get physically quit close to
> >> : the target.
> >>
> >> : With suitcase nukes, you nearly need to get in the same city (although,
> >> : it works better if you can set it off at the top of a skyscraper.)
> >>
> >> A suitcase nuke isn't a full-size strategic weapon, but sized similar to the
> >> nuke artillery shell, with a fairly small yield. But you need only place the
> >> nuke within a few blocks of the target. Small versions may be "only" a
> >> kilotonne, about 500 times the Tim McVeigh explosion. It'll fuck up a
> >> downtown.
> >>
> >> Modern H-bombs could be built a la Johnny Cash out in a rural spot by the
> >> agents, and delivered by Ryder truck or similar. A cover could be a small
> >> trucking firm to always have a truck at the ready. Delivery is by the Tim
> >> McVeigh method.
> >
> >You don't even need that...  We're talking about something the size of
> >a softball.  You can merely make a sphere with a cylinder hollowed out
> >of it...and a matching cylinder which drops (by gravity) into the
> >hollowed-out space.  Then make a time-delay device that gives you a
> >two-hour delay.
>
> A hint: cordite.  Or whatever they call the special explosive
> designed to jam the subcritical pieces together.
>
> Not to mention klystron switches -- presumably these are to
> synchronize the cordite.  (Iraq tried to get some, and failed.)
>

> >Simply setup the suitcase in a janitor's closet in a sky-scraper...
> >Super-glue the thing into place so that nobody tampers with it.
>
> Super-glue?  Hell, just drag along two small drums of binary
> epoxy components and an empty drum for mixing.  Mix well with
> a mechanical mixer, then dump the contents onto the suitcase,
> which presumably is sitting on the floor or something.
> (Or are you referring to two compounds which, when combined,
> create cyanoacrolin (sp?).)
>
> Instant fly trapped in amber effect -- assuming your bomb works at all,
> which it probably won't. :-)  (Disclaimer: I'm not a physicist.)
> They'd have to jackhammer the floor to get it out of the building.
>
> Of course, security might get slightly suspicious -- but one might
> be able to disguise the drums as a janitorial trash can.
>
> (Disclaimer: I'm not a terrorist, either! :-) )

You're not far off.  I've trained and worked in anti-terrorist missions.

> (Side note: I'm not sure if epoxy has the same problem as concrete,
> which generates heat as it hardens; large dams have to have
> coolant running through them during the time the concrete "sets up".
> And we're talking a much smaller volume, as well.)
>

> >The only thing that is beyond the means of run-of-the-mill terrorists
> >is getting their hands on enough plutonium.
>
> Good thing, too.
>
> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       5d:04h:10m actually running Linux.
>                     You were expecting something relevant down here?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:24:29 -0500

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> It was the Fri, 09 Feb 2001 16:43:28 -0500...
> ...and Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Get enough fissionable material, and you merely have to drop plug-B
> > into hollowed-out-part-A, and the thing goes off...in a foolproof
> > manner.
>
> And in a pretty useless manner, as the triggered chain reaction will
> be rather weak and end as soon as the mass has molten or such.

Depends by how much you exceed critical mass.

The only REAL purpose of the explosives in modern fission devices is to
lower the critical mass threshold...which means that for every pound
of fissionable material, the aggregate EXCEEDS the critical mass by
that much more.

None of this applies to fusion devices.

> Yeah, it'll surely produce some cool blue light and a lot of
> radiation. But no explosion.
>
> mawa
> --
> Stand up.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:25:07 -0500

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> It was the Fri, 09 Feb 2001 16:43:28 -0500...
> ...and Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Get enough fissionable material, and you merely have to drop plug-B
> > into hollowed-out-part-A, and the thing goes off...in a foolproof
> > manner.
>
> And in a pretty useless manner, as the triggered chain reaction will
> be rather weak and end as soon as the mass has molten or such.
>
> Yeah, it'll surely produce some cool blue light and a lot of
> radiation. But no explosion.

If you have critical mass, it will explode.

That's the DEFINITION of critical mass.

> mawa
> --
> Stand up.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who was saying Crays don't run Linux?
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:25:56 -0500

Darin Johnson wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > So far, to the best of my knowledge, nobody has been able to
> > successfully write a SIMD compiler....period.
>
> Except that reliable compilers were indeed written.  Nothing unusual
> about it.  Any vectorizing compiler is essentially writing for SIMD
> computers.  Maybe not exactly SIMD, but the principles from vector
> machines would map easily to SIMD machines.

Vectorized processors only do certain instructions in SIMD.

> And Thinking Machines definately sold compilers for the CM2 that
> produced working code.
>
> I hope your prof that said this wasn't a Computer Science prof...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the desktop
Date: 11 Feb 2001 23:29:56 GMT

J Sloan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: And a bizzare sampling it is - in my experience, 8 out of
: 10 people who tried Linux liked it enough to continue using
: it on a permanent basis, with some going microsoft-free.

Just about every techie uses Linux in some way shape or form. I'm not a
techie, struggled at first with a hosed distro, but I persisted. Windows 95 is
getting to be a legacy item in my software collection.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: GODDAMNED STINKING PIECE OF SHIT KULKIS
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:36:57 GMT

"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Mike Byrns wrote:
> >
> > If only you had a four year life span.  Or better I was a Blade Runner
sent
> > to retire you. :-)
>
> You're not Harrison Ford.
> So solly.

Nah, but it would still be fun watching you trip through a dozen or so plate
glass windows anyway :-)

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Pete Goodwin "Oopsie"!
Date: 11 Feb 2001 23:43:14 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Joseph T. Adams wrote:

:> It seems to be some people's purpose in life to complain.

: In my case, criticise.

:> People complain about Linux lacking standards in areas where it offers
:> choices (like desktop environments), but then, when there is an
:> established, open, free, cross-platform and easily-implemented
:> standard (PostScript), they complain about that too.

: Then why do so many cheap printers not do postscript?

Pete, you are smart enough to figure that one out all by yourself.
I'm not going to help you.

:> There is however a small kernel of truth to some of Pete's complaints:
:> while the solutions are completely intuitive and natural to someone
:> with Linux experience, they may not be to someone who's unable or
:> unwilling to learn.  If we want Linux to be usable by these people,
:> then we need to find and smooth out these sorts of rough edges.
:> Mafia$oft makes a generally shitty product, but believe me, it *does*
:> make sure that even relatively unsophisticated users can figure out
:> how to do simple things on their own.  In the desktop arena, we need
:> to try to do more to "idiot-proof" some of our apps, not because users
:> are necessarily idiots, but because most of them are accustomed to
:> being treated as if they were.

: It seems to me Linux has a whole slew of different ways of doing things.
: I've already heard how these are "trivial" and "inconsequential", however,
: when I setup a printer, I'd have thought it was setup that way everywhere.
: What I find in the case of Linux is that this is not true.

Linux doesn't support printers; Linux *apps* do, and most do it the
standard UNIX way, although some do not.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Unknown Poster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:39:27 -0500

> If they didn't, then that is not a failing of the OS (either Linux or
> Windows). If the hardware used to build the system doesn't support the
> OS, then I would expect that there are going to be some difficulty.
>
> For instance I have a PC that contains an Adaptec AAA-133 RAID
> controller. This card is not supported in Windows 2000. There are no
> drivers for it. But I'm going to try to see if the Windows NT 4.0
> drivers can work with Windows 2000. I expect to have some difficulty
> because I am not using a supported card. Should I experience problems,
> should I come back and complain that Windows 2000 is difficult to
> install because of this?
>
> Josh

Yes. Since most of the drivers included with Windows 2000 were
written either by or at the behest of Microsoft, and that particular
RAID controller is about 3-4 years old (you are referring to an
AHA-133, yes?), then it is a failure of the OS.

Jason..

------------------------------

From: "Unknown Poster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:42:32 -0500

">
> X-based GUIs aren't even on par with Windows yet. First off, the Unix
> world needs to standardize on a single UI toolkit, so the user can be
> sure menus work the same way between programs and can actually copy and
> paste correctly. Once you've got such basic things taken care of, ask
> again.

And this will never happen, thanks to the constant posturing
of 'my version is better than your version' amoung its' supporters
and the companies who develop them.

One company (and only one) produces windows. That is
why there is consistency..

Jason.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Answer this if you can...
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:43:40 GMT

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 18:13:37 +0100, John Muir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I install some RPM package or other and at the end of the
>install...NOTHING... where is the bloody thing? How do I start it?

Maybe it put a README in /usr/doc.

>I want to copy a line of text from my xterm window (or browser window)
>to another app ... forget it!

Select, go to other window, middle click.  No separate copy step needed.
Is there an app where this does not work for text?

>I can't get the delete key to delete the character to the RIGHT of the
>insertion cursor in X.

Works for me.  I could explain how to make it work, but you don't
really seem very interested in solutions, just ranting.

>I now understand that there really is a good reason why Microsoft
>spends so much effort on usability labs and such.

It would be nice if some of that effort actually showed up in the products.

>For all the 'holier than thou' attitude of so many Linux advocates,

As contrasted with the whining of Windows advocates?

>If Linux was a half-decent system there would only be ONE place to set
>key mappings, but oh no 'its sooo flexible, you can set the key
>mappings in round about 10 to 20 different places', wow!

Two, really.  Console and X.  Maybe Linux just isn't for you quite yet.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:53:00 GMT

"." wrote:

> > What +i means? Ignorant? Well, it's unnecessary, Microsoft Certified
> > means the same thing. And it shows from the posting.
>
> MS Certified doesn't mean ignorant, it only really means "may or may not
> understand subject of discussion".  Buggered if I know why people pay big
> bucks for people with such an untrustworthy certification.

I was exaggerating a bit. Quite a number of things I know about Windows
crappines, I have learned from an MS certified guy. He knows a lot about
computing, and because of that, and his knowledge of MS he usually
suggest NOT to use Windows, unless you're really forced to. But he would
be ashamed to write MSCE besides his signature. If someone is not, then
I'm afraid that my exaggeration holds true.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Date: 11 Feb 2001 23:55:41 GMT

rich ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Also schrieb Pete Goodwin:

: >Windows costs money. Now in Whistler they're talking about a product
: >activation code.

: And much more of this crap will simply make more people move away from
: Windows and onto Linux or another non-Windows system.

The cost of software was what drove me to take up Linux use. Can't beat the
price of Linux. Even if you pay for the CD, you get LOTS of software for your
money. Now, they are talking about "pay per view" launch codes for software on
Windows? Sheesh! How greedy can they get?

To make matters worse, computers in the stores are loaded with Winjunk, so now
to escape Winblows, you have to build it yourself techie style. While this
home user is up to the task, most are not.

: The pain of having to deal with Linux (and there is pain involved,
: don't get me wrong) is going to have to be less than the pain of
: paying Billy Boy for surveillance or product features a la an activation
: code.

I done made that decision in 1994. Fighting with a bad version of Slackware
was maddening at times, but the thought of 70 bucks a pop for software drove
me to persist. Now, with any good software costing as much as a SCSI hard
drive, I'm further convinced I made the right choice with taking up Linux use.

And Linux does not crash to boot. (pun on purpose)

: The problem is not that the word processor is garbage (although I would
: have to say that in this respect I have to agree with Claire) but
: it's that the file format remains a guarded secret.   Open up the file
: formats to the world, Bill, and see how fast people make better software
: than MS bloatware to make Excel-format spreadsheets and Word-format documents.

Oh, yeah, the fucking file formats. How many formats do we need anyways? The
.pdf proliferation pisses me off the way it is. And of course, Microsoft
formats are damn near like PGP-encodes. Then, there's the bullshit with the
formats changing each time the new version comes out and the old Save/Save As
trojan. Every greedware company insists on its own fucking file format.

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,rec.games.frp.dnd
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:46:09 +0000

On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:36:44 GMT, ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 06 Feb 2001 08:49:01 GMT, G3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > in article [EMAIL PROTECTED], J Sloan at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > > Why do all you unix saps compare yourselves to one of the shittiest
> > > GUI's on earth?
> > >
> > > I use Mac OS, and the OS X beta.  Both have interfaces that crush
> > > anything available on X Windows, or anything that ever came out of
> > > redmond.
> >
> > As a beta, OSX hasn't shown itself to be anything more than glitz,
> > the usual Mac style of form over function - Gates' quote in reverse,
> > make it look good then everyone will assume it IS good. All I've ever
> > seen quoted about OSX is how wonderful Aqua is.
>
> Quoted where?

This newsgroup, amongst others.

Or try PC-Pro Feb 2001 "Advanced Windows" P260:-

"To be honest, I don't know why Redmond is concerned since OSX is turning
out to be the ultimate expression of "wrapping over content", far from
ready to be a beta and with lots of its capabilities badly broken. It
saddens me to see how little real work has been applied to it since the
days of NeXTStep, which forms the core of OSX. And I know I'm not alone in
finding its UI desktop to suffer from a nasty case of "Opaque Designer
Chic".

> You expect newspaper columnists to play with a Terminal
> window and rave about the BSD layer or NetInfo? Aqua is the most visible
> and the most distinguishing feature of OS X. Users spend the entire day
> interacting with it. A Unix CLI is massively useful to some, but it's of
> no relevance to most users and it's old news. Of course Aqua gets the
> bulk of the attention!
>
> If you look in the right places,

Hmmm. If you look in the right places you'll always find what you want to
find...

<...>

> > And clicking on a drive opens up a box anywhere at random on the
> > desktop, click again and another randomly placed box appears, and so
> > on.
>
> By default, clicking opens a window where you last opened it. Clicking
> again opens the new directory in the same window.

Opens a new window IME. Until you're knee deep in them.

> > Geez, what a daft system.
>
> It would be, if it worked anything like your description. Good thing it
> doesn't.

Any Mac I've used has worked this way. OK maybe there's a setting somewhere
to change it but that's the way most people including Mac devotees seem to
like it. And since they aren't my machines, I leave them the way the
Macites set them up.

And sometimes windows straddle the two monitors, useful that, but Windoze
does it too. And Xinerama also, unless you use Xinerama aware WMs like
Enlightenment.

<...>

> > MacOS hasn't had much thought applied to it since 1984, just glitz.
> > It's still on a par with Windows 3.x
>
> This has to be one of the most stupid comments I've ever seen.

Jobs and Scully (?) were too busy fighting each other to notice others
passing them on the inside.

Let's see.

CMT, like Win3.x

Poor memory management, such that you have to allocate memory manually
(maybe fixed in OS9, but certainly present in OS8). Worse, by a long shot,
than Win3.x

Stupid things like locking the machine up when you put in a floppy, ok I
know it's mounting it, but does the whole machine need to grind to a halt
while it does it? Even stops playing music from the CD drive while it's
mounting. Geez.

Etc.

> At the
> very least, it demonstrates you have absolutely no clue about user
> interface.

How do you work that out?

User interface is important, yes, but if your OS is 5-10 years out of date
the best UI in the world isn't much use. Like a Ferrari with a Trabant
engine, it'll go, but not as well as the wrapping would suggest.

Anyway, there's not a lot of difference between the UIs of MacOS, Windoze
and KDE2. The basic metaphors are the same - else why did Apple sue
Microsoft over "look and feel"? Place a newbie in front of each and there
won't be a lot of difference in productivity. KDE will probably come out on
top since single clicking is far more intuitive than double clicking.

> > > Yeah but the X Windows GUI tools SUCK.
> >
> > Why do they suck? Let's have a reason better than "they look bad".
>
> X-based GUIs aren't even on par with Windows yet. First off, the Unix
> world needs to standardize on a single UI toolkit, so the user can be
> sure menus work the same way between programs and can actually copy and
> paste correctly. Once you've got such basic things taken care of, ask
> again.

Try KDE2. Consistent UI here. And 90% of Linux apps can paste with the
middle mouse button, even between apps. And not just in X.

The Gimp has a unique UI, but 5 minutes work and it becomes second nature.
Right click in the image you want to adjust and the image manipulation menu
appears. No desktop space wasted with menus and certainly better than Macs'
single menu for all open apps. Dragging a mouse from bottom right on the
right hand 21" monitor to top left of the left hand 21" monitor *every*
*single* *time* can get physically and mentally exhausting after a while. I
guess there's a key-binding for it somewhere...

Peter
--

In the 19th century surveyors measured the height of Everest
from 500 miles away in India.