From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:02:35 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:rAAh6.11192$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > <snip>
> > >
> > > Why don't they try to get the fundamental things right on 2000 before
> > adding
> > > more cruft that doesn't work right?   I've just spent most of the
> > afternoon
> > > tryng
> > > to keep at least one of a pair of win2k web servers running, but they
> > keep
> > > popping a modal dialog box (from a service???) about an inetinfo.exe
> > > application
> > > error:  "The instruction  at "0x65f2b3d" referenced memory at
> > "0x0000006c".
> > > The memory could not be "read".   These are simple vbscript asp pages
> > using
> > > the built-in msxml object.    The bug would be bad enough, but these
are
> > > remote
> > > machines accessed through VNC and it screws up the network to the
point
> > > where
> > > vnc disconnects immediately after authentication - so you can't even
tell
> > it
> > > reboot.   The 'iisrest  /reboot' command from another server fails
also.
> > > After
> > > the first attempt it just says a reboot is already in progress but it
> > never
> > > finishes.
> > > How does anyone deal with this kind of trouble?
> > >
> > > By contrast, a busier Linux server running a mix of perl and java
pages
> > has
> > > been
> > > running well over a year without any trouble:
> > >
> > > $uptime
> > >    5:31pm  up 450 days, 22:56,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01,
0.00

> > That some individuals around here have molded this MS monstrosity into
> > their Golden Calf boggles the mind.
>
> That's a Linux server with 1 user and an average load of 0% CPU
utilization.

> This is somehow "busier"? I could build a WinME box turn it on and never
> touch it and get that good of uptime too, that proves nothing.

That was Saturday evening on a machine that serves commodity exchange data
over the web.    Weekend loads run about 5% of the peaks in the middle of
the
day on weekdays (actually the peak is always at 10 AM CST for some reason).
Note that this is the SAME slack time that the pair of Win2K machines are
failing, and they are still crashing today with only a small subset of our
normal users trying them out.    What are you supposed to do with remote
machines when a service pops a dialog box and won't exit?   Sometimes
I have been able to get a clean reboot from another machine's computer
management console by trying the reboot with 'force applications closed'
but I have to do it over and over again, sometimes getting errors on the
control screen, sometimes not - then maybe after 10 or 15 minutes it will
actually reboot.   Why does this work part of the time when 'iisreset'
always
fails?

These machines have been serving static images that were part of the old
site for several months just as a matter of moving the bandwidth to a
different internet connection without any real problems and I actually
had some hope of making them work with asp pages doing xml/xsl
processing since that is all built in.    Do I need special training on
how to interpret that 'memory could not be read' message or is it time
to compile in the xsl handler for apache?

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:03:16 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:tKAh6.11200$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:G_qh6.1199$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:M2ph6.19689$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:OLoh6.1188$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > up
It
> > is
> > no,
> > takes

> > ranted
> > takes
> > will

> > fits.

> > Just
> > >
> > > Well, then you really have no idea what you're talking about then.
> > > You probably don't know what OLE, COM/ActiveX, DCOM, or COM+ are in
the

> > No, I only program for the above on a daily basis....
>
> Sure.
>

> > > first place, and you certainly don't have the slightest clue what .NET
> > > is, as evidenced by the above paragraph.
> > >
> > > In the future, please refrain from ebarassing yourself by making such
> > > ignorant from-the-ass comments as above. At least take the time to
read
> > > one article, even one paragraph of an article that summarizes .NET
before
> > > even making a comment on it.
> >
> > I'm not "ebarassed" in the least.
> > (Learn to type)
>
> It is considered rude to point out every little spelling error made
> in someones post, unless it's obvious that that person doesn't really
> know how to spell. Yes, I know how to spell, and yes, it's rude you're
> pointing out every little error.

It is also rude and more than a little presumptuous to jump in a thread and
attack a poster.

> I will be certain to point out EVERY SINGLE spelling error you make
> from now on and be sure to point out how ignorant your are for making
> them.

If it floats your boat, by all means do so.

> > Also, in the future, don't make wild assumptions about a poster's
> > experience level.
>
> It wasn't a wild assumption. When you make a claim that .NET is just
> like COM, then you really have no clue what you're talking about.

The point is .NET is nothing new. The core technologies and ideas most
certainly aren't. There's not a lot there for someone to be excited about.
Especially when one considers MS's historical over-statements about their
products. If they actually manage to come up with something that deserves
such hype then I'll be the first in line to stand corrected. I may despise
the company, but I'm not above giving kudos for good solutions. Taking MS's
past performance into consideration, though, leads me to believe that kudos
won't be necessary this time.

> > PS:  It appears I've tread upon a sacred cow of yours. Sorry.
>
> Pet peeve, really. I'm sick and tired of you idiots belittling .NET
> when you really have no clue AT ALL what you're talking about.
> Perhaps you should read just a LITTLE and then attempt to talk
> intelligently about it. Until then, please refrain from speaking
> from your ass.

Perhaps then, you would enlighten the class and tell us .NET is, Chad. I
know that silly question has been asked of another recently. But, it does
seem appropriate to ask it yet again. What are we missing from the equation?
And, please, no web links - Just you. Marketing hype and spec sheets are as
far removed from reality as one can get. What do YOU see. BTW, this is a
serious question, not a troll.

So far, COLA's resident .NET advocates have yet to actually sell it to the
rest of us. Perhaps this is your opportunity to "win converts" as it were. I
can't tell you why the others are resistant to the idea. They have their own
reasons. Perhaps ignorance and nose tweaking are some's only motive.
Personally, I've developed for MS platforms for nearly as long as MS has
made platforms. I've listened to their promises and dealt with their
cavalier attitude towards third party development (which, admittedly, has
improved over the years..) I've dealt with inadequate and sometimes, wholly
inaccurate, documentation. I've dealt with broken interfaces. I've dealt
with server and desktop OS's that crap and die for no apparent reason. I'm
now dealing with JET's mediocrity (Now, there's a rant in itself!). Can you
tell me that Whistler and .NET are going to be any different?

PS: I make it a habit to read about such things that I may have to, in
future, support. The company I'm with has categorically refused to do so,
but I have a tendency to sub-contract myself out. Any number of those other
companies may require it.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:11:29 GMT

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In alt.destroy.microsoft, Jan Johanson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on 6 Feb 2001 07:34:59 -0600
> <3a7fd96d$0$73955$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:63Pf6.560$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:95lj67$5ck$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> [snip for brevity]

> >> Thanks but no thanks...Windows 2000 Professional is the end of the line
> >> for me. Whistler is totally unnecessary and .NET will NEVER pollute one
> >> of my machines. It's about as transparent a money vacuum as DIVX was.
> >> We will neither utilize it nor develop for it - period. It is something
> >> to be viewed with disdain, not anticipation. Only the severely
> >> short-sighted would actually welcome such a system.
> >
> >Tom:
> >"I used to drive one of them model-T auto-mo-biles and then drove me a
horse
> >and that darned horse never had a flat tire or broke down on some old
dirt
> >road - now they say there is some new fangled newer auto-mo-bile coming
> >out - ahhhhh - phewie. I already rode one of thme and anyone buying one
of
> >those auto-mo-bile things is short-sighted, it'll never last. I'll keep
my
> >trusty horse, you don't need to go no faster than 30 mph or ride more
than
> >double up or nothing! damn whipper snappers, i prefer old horse pockey
> >rather than those new advanced gadget things"
> >
> >Short-sighted? ahahaha, you are really funny. You talk like you actually
> >think linux will be anything more than what oS/2 is today or the amiga os
or
> >dr-dos or macOS or...
>
> You're right, of course; Whistler is state of the art.
>
> Which may be a commentary as to how sorry the state of the art
> actually is.

It puts me in mind of eighties guitar. Basically, the same blues and
classically derived riffs. The only thing thing they could do to make it
seem new and interesting was use to more hairspray and play the licks just a
little faster than the other guy. Just flash - Nothing revolutionary.

> (I do wonder what a really cool OS is supposed to do, anyway.
> It won't help me cool my hardware, that's a given... :-) )

Personally, I rely on three fans and a massive heat sink.

If cool hardware is all you're concerned about, just run an MS consumer
operating system like 9x... They don't stay up long enough to generate
excess heat! <g>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: @@@@ I have fogotten my password help!!!  @@@@@@@
Date: 12 Feb 2001 00:11:22 GMT

Paul Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Find a cd labelled "windows98", put it into the CDROM
drive on your computer (thats the one with the drink holder),
reboot and follow the instructions.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Threat: non-existant
Date: 12 Feb 2001 00:13:58 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3a86d8e7$0$43853$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2684374,00.html?chkpt=zdnn_rt_
>> latest
>>
>> Look at the numbers they're talking about. TurboLinux is just SOARING with a
>> whooping 68% revenue growth (not profits, just revenue) which sounds
>> impressive until you realize that it's a jump from 1.8 million to 2.9
>> million. Give me a break, that's what two middle level managers at MS make.
>> Compaq spends that much every time it submits a webspec test. Dell spends
>> that much EVERY month on print ads in just two magazines. AND their
>> prediction for growth was LOWERED.
>>
>> This is after SuSe fell through the floor and dumped it's employees - but,
>> I'm sure they'll all stay on for free cause we know linux is free and it's
>> support is free and it's volunteered powered right?
>>
>> It's nice to see that technical staff is being dumped while the management
>> teams from BOTH companies are staying around collecting their paychecks and
>> stock options. Yea, you need all that management but who needs technical
>> support eh?
>>
>> But, really - who cares, right? According to linux supporters linux has
>> newsgroups and websites filled with support by unpaid (unknown, uncertified,
>> even untrusted) volunteers who we know are just hanging around every minute
>> of the day waiting to solve YOUR companies problem on your timetable, I'm
>> sure. I mean, if you've got a problem with something, you can just pick up
>> the phone, er, write a newsgroup post and keep hitting refresh waiting for
>> that authoritive answer from sven svengalli recently paroled from warez land
>> to help you get that enterprise database running again. ALl his time running
>> mySQL for his warez file indexing system will certainly be of use to you. if
>> you're ultimately lucky, linus might insult you himself ...!
>>
>> Anyone suggesting Linux is making inroads at the (successful) enterprise
>> level is just plain nutz...

> Hey, and let's not forget Linux's powerful growth in the DDoS market.
> Linux comprises almost 100% of the vast DDoS networks which were powerful
> enough to shut down all the major web sites for almost 2 days last year.
> Linux 2.4 comes with new EZ-HACK features which allow crackers to
> gain control of entire University computer labs for their purposes of
> mayhem.

I'm sure Mr. Myers wouldnt mind at all going into detail about these alleged
"EZ-HACK" features included with the 2.4 kernel.

What are they, what do they do, and where in the source code can they be found,
Mr. Myers?

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 23:58:45 GMT

"Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:L_Eh6.113190$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Chad Myers wrote:
> > >
> > > Give me a break. You can't honestly sit there and tell me they're
> > > just "calling it as they see it". It's not professional at all,
> > > let alone tasteful. It's like a bunch of high-school adolescents wrote
> > > the documentation. Not unlike the code, though. I guess it all makes
> > > sense.
> >
> > If you mean the code they're commenting, you're right. Adolescent style
> > code deserves adolescent-style irony. You can't discuss Microsoft
> > implementation as if it were a professional thing. It isn't.
>
> First, we can discuss Microsoft implementations any way we se fit -- you and
> the rest of the Linux loonies have no say in what we do at all.  Commenting
> code with "adolescent ironies" is decidedly poor coding practice -- perhaps
> they could have diverted those energies towards documenting their code
> rather than commenting on completely unrelated code that they've never even
> seen before.  Microsoft's implementations are by definition
> "professional" -- that's what they do for a living.  Linux implementations
> are by definition "amateur" as they are done as a pastime rather than as a
> profession.  There are maybe a hundred or so folks that actually get paid to
> code linux (the kernel) and all the varied programs included in all the
> distros combined.  Hell, Torvalds doesn't even get paid to do the kernel --
> he gets paid to write microcode for the Transmeta chips and to write the
> currently CLOSED SOURCE Mobile Linux.

Yeah, how ironic. The Commander in Cheap of the Penguinistas is himself
working on a closed source project. I guess Open Source is good for
everyone else, and they can all go poor, but Linus wants to make money
so it's ok for him.

I wonder how much influence Transmeta has over the direction of
Linux.

> > Well if you're so proud of MSDN superb documentation, can you point me
> > where it is clearly specified that a scrolling window
> > will fill up until all available memory has been used and then freeze
> > the system (making even the Task Manager unavailable) if you attempt to
> > scroll it?
>
> Scrolling window?  Using those terms precisely would yeild a window with a
> scrollbar (perhaps two!) and no innate ability to have any content other
> than what can be drawn on it's device context.  It's up to your
> implementation to draw the particular segment of your content as appropriate
> for the position of the scrollbar thumb and window size.  If you could
> "until all available memory has been used" then you are doing two things
> wrong -- you've turned off virtual memory and your implementation caches
> everything in memory regardless of it's size instead of implementing a spool
> or diff file or using memory mapped files.  Perhaps a call to
> GlobalMemoryStatusEx could be used to determine the right amount of cache
> :-)  You also didn't specify what OS this is either, nor what allocation
> mechanism your implementation is using -- new/delete, malloc/free or the
> heap functions.  In fact you've said nothing to make anyone who has done any
> serious Windows programming believe a word you've said let alone be able to
> blame the OS for your ineptitude.

You shouldn't even bother responding to that claim. It was extremely
ignorant.

You could do no less than a thousand different things to cause
uncontrolled memory growth on any platform with just about any
language. Growing a buffer is but one way. Yes, Linux, yes, Unix,
yes, Windows, yes OS/2 all have a problem with uncontrolled memory
usage.

Windows NT and 2000 handle out of memory situations gracefully.
Most Unixes and OS/2 do too. Linux is questionable, but for the
most part it'd be ok.

None of these systems freeze as mentioned above when an out
of memory situation occurs.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the desktop
Date: 12 Feb 2001 00:14:47 GMT

Nigel ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: This will kill MS for sure - many companies only use MS products because
: they know they can get away with illegally installing the same product on
: multiple machines as well as their home machine. How long will they
: continue to recommend their companies buy MS software when they find out
: they will have to spend many $$$ to take any work home to finish but under
: linux they can legally use the same software at home and work for free.

Don't know about Europe, but in Amerika there's this "business software
association" whereby whistle blowers (disgruntled employees who prefer not to
go on shooting rampages) call in and the group sends out stormtroopers to
audit the software licenses. If the company has a lot of warez, the copyright
fines can be enough to nuke the company. In this way, a company with a lot of
warez is vunerable to a disgruntled employee EVEN IF THEY HAVE METAL
DETECTORS TO PREVENT SHOOTING RAMPAGES.

A system of pay per view launch codes will allow fast detection of companies
that use warez. That's becuse as they buy the launch codes for a few
computers, the codes get passed around causing loss of profit for the
greedware company. Alternatively, if a company buys the launch codes
"properly" the few valid licences and heavy purchasing will cause detection.

This could readily get people to abandon Microsoft were it not for the file
formats. The old Save/Save As trojan will work again the minute a boss buys
the pay per view latest greatest version of Word. As he goes to fetch the
files on the server, he corrupts them for everyone else in the office. This
alone is why if I had a business, every swinging dick in the office would use
Linux and StarOffice or whatever.

Linux in an office would do a LOT to prevent problems. Besides bringing the
file format bullshit to a grinding halt, it would prevent fuckwits from
bringing in Solitaire to play when they should be working.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 12 Feb 2001 00:17:02 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Bloody Viking" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9670cl$2g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> pip ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>>
>> : F.U.D.
>>
>> Snipped.
>>
>> : Is someone paying these people?
>>
>> It wouldn't surprise me if some of the FUDmeisters are paid MS-Shills(tm). The
>> MS-Shills must hate the new department in computer stores, the Linux section.
>> Now, anyone can go to a store and buy Linux.

> How come we're not seeing major in-roads in the OEM market? That's
> real success. When other vendors are willing to stake their profit
> on your product is when you have a real product. Until then it's
> just a novelty like "Bigmouth Billy Bass". Millons of people bought
> those too, but you don't see many hangding on the wall.

> The truth is, people aren't buying Linux in the stores in mass
> quantities. Sales are rediculously low compared with all the other
> software on all the other shelves. Plus, many of the sales are
> buy-it-and-forget-it. Sales of Linux are in the millions, but the
> retention rate is probably pretty low. People buy it to play with it
> but then go back to Windows when they want to get something done.
> Most probably can't figure the damned thing out and just remove it
> and throw the CD away or give it to a friend.

An interesting theory.  Do you have hard evidence to back it up?

>> You have a choice of distros, some optimised for servers or
>> firewalls, or whatever. You can as of now go to  a store and buy
>> _SLACKWARE_! No muss, no fuss, no mail order.

> Of course, you're wasting your money. Each distro does something
> well, but doesn't everything well in general. I guess you could
> buy all of them to accomplish the varying tasks, but in general
> people are seeing it's not really that great and they can't
> get anything done. They switch back to Windows and become productive
> again. The sales numbers confirm this.

What exactly *are* the sales numbers?  Specifically?

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: 12 Feb 2001 00:19:50 GMT

Pete Goodwin <imekon@$$$remove$$$.freeuk.com> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <966u5d$39k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>MORE!

> Nah, you've had more than enough now.

You offered, and then recinded.

Why did you offer, exactly?

=====.

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:13:19 GMT

What password did you forget? If it's your user you forgot, login as
root and issue that command passwd <user name>. If it's your root reboot
and at the lilo prompt inter "linux 1" and enter the lilo password if
you have set it. then enter "passwd <user name>. Or you can use your
resque floppy...

In article <O7Fh6.130206$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Paul Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 00:27:25 GMT

1st: "Jan Johanson", if you want credibility, use your real email address.
I have the balls to stand the high ground and use my real email address, I
think you can too.
2nd: Turbo Linux does not have the wide range of products as Microsoft does.
Turbo Linux sells three products, a workstation distro, a server distro and
Clustering Software.  Compared to the likes of Microsoft which sells a
larger range of software.  Also, in the Linux market, not only is Turbo
Linux competing with Microsoft, but with other distributors (such as Redhat)
and UNIX vendors (however, some say, Linux is a stepping stone, or "training
wheels", when the business wants to buy a new, higher end server, they'll
goto the commercial UNIX's such as SUN).  If Microsoft didnot hold the
exclusive license over Windows, the senario would be different.  This same
senario can also be attributed to why in the UNIX market, most UNIX vendors
have quite a big emphasis of Software and services.  For example, in the
Commercial UNIX market, you have SUN, SGI, IBM, HP and SCO, all competing
vigorously between each other, however, when compared to the Wintel market,
most servers very similar, hence the reason why UNIX-only vedors don't make
as much per-year, however, unlike the wintel market, they are not subjected
to the same swings in consumer supply and demand.

Matthew Gardiner