From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the desktop
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:13:18 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Tom Wilson ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : It's www.bsatruce.com and its an interesting link. Thanks.
>
> Pretty crazy, eh?
>
> : The strongest assertions of control generally happen right before its'
> : lost.
>
> And pay-per-view-ware should put it over the top. And with the BSA
> stormtroopers going around, it'll either cause Linux to take off in ballistic
> mode or crash the whole industry in one massive BSOD. If Linux takes over,
> Microsoft itself will BSOD on Bill Gates!

Which is why Gates has been fervently selling off his M$ stock for the
last year and a half now.

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:15:45 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Charlie Ebert ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : But what do they plan on doing with Linux?
> : Bankrupting Linux maybe?  Humm.  You can't bankrupt Linux, it's not a
> : company.  It's like a huge armored tank which can't even be defamed properly,
> : like a corporation could.
>
> : Oh shure!  You might actually get some distribution vendor to go away,
> : but you sure can't kill Linux base.  That's what it takes to kill Linux.
>
> : What are the three things which will be here for doomsday?
>
> There is a parallel in the form of Scientology and the protestors. As the
> protestors reveal the facts about the cult, the cult is damaged but the cult
> can't effectively fight back becuse its enemy is decentralised being a losse
> collection of independant protestors.
>
> Similarly, Linux is decentralised and Linux doesn't crash as often as Windows
> * does and every techie knows it. Thus, Linux distros are inanimate protestors
> against the Windows cult revealing that Windows * is junk.
>
> Another MS/Scientology parallel is criminal behaviour to protect its
> interests. High-echelon Scientology management was convicted in an espionage
> action whereby they infiltrated government offices to destroy documents. MS
> violates antitrust laws.

Wouldn't it be...interesting...if Gates were to turn out to be a
Scientologist.

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Peformance Test
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:17:06 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sun, 11 Feb 2001 19:01:48 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > >"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >We did indeed get something for our trouble.  We didn't have to rewrite a
> > >million lines of our application.
> >
> > You run a million-line app on a 486/66 with 32 MB?  You aren't going to
> > be running that out of flash.
>
> I already told you, it runs off CD-ROM, not flash.
>
> > >You clearly don't have much imagination, do you?
> >
> > Apparently not.  Maybe I'm too concerned with meeting requirements.
>
> Requirements often mean using 5 year old code that is fully debugged and
> already has test harnesses and test plans written instead of writing new
> code that needs massive amounts of QA to verify.
>
> When you're talking about a system which controls carbon-dioxide lasers, one
> bug can cause someone to die or get very hurt.

So, you're using Unix or Linux, eh?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: mc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:19:10 -0500

filthy-mcnasty wrote:
> =

> Wonderful. I think Billion Dollar Bill may finally have shot himself in=

> both feet

Now if only he'd shoot the company while he's got the gun.

> =

> Steve Withers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> =

> >G'day
> >
> >I've been following developments closely on this.
> >
> >It appears that sometime this year all new Microsot software will need=

> >to be registered....or it will cease to function.
> >
> >This may offer OS alternatives like Linux a huge toe in the desktop
> >door.
> =

-- =

  __ ___ ____
 / _/  /  __/                       Martyrs Cannot be Silenced.
/_/ /_/____/                                               Bill Riker
=86 Happy Valentines Day =A4       *+*+*+*+*+ Think Friendship +*+*+*+*+*=

<<==-- Drain the WATER from my email to reply --==>>

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ERIK FUNKENBUSH CAN'T TELL US ***WHAT*** .NET IS
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:17:26 +0100

Chad Myers wrote in message ...
>> >You make it to seem like they have a secret army that will invade
>> >your house if you don't buy their products.
>> >
>> >Give me a break. Go back to the looney bin where you came from.
>> >
>>     I don't think they are particularly "secret" but the SPA qualifies
>>     as an organization which will invade homes and businesses trying to
>
>Please show me one bit of proof showing that SPA has ever, or has a policy
>of, invaded(ing) homes.
>
>>     confiscate any computer equipment which has been "touched" by
>>     software which you cannot prove, to *their* satisfaction, was
>>     licensed properly.
>
>They only do that to organizations which are rampantly breaking the
>law. Every time they've investigated an organization, that organization
>has been found to have millions of dollars in unlicensed software.
>Law enforment agencies back the SPA because it is crucial in uncovering
>gross violations of the law.

Note that Max said "cannot prove, to *their* satisfaction, was licenced
properly".  When the SPA invade your business (homes are unlikely to be
targets in practice, because the numbers don't justify the effort), it
matters not a jot how many licences you bought - all that counts is the
number of stickers on the backs of PCs, or the number of "certificates of
authcenticity", that you can find.  Very, very few people could produce full
proof of their licences for everything on their PCs, even when everything is
fully paid for.  I have no idea where the licence certificate for my VB3
is - our company has moved twice since I bought it.  In the eyes of the SPA,
that makes me a theif.

>Are you advocating rampant software piracy?

MS uses the SPA as their hitmen.  They are not the slightest bit interested
in whether a business has bought all their current licences - they want them
to buy more licences regardless.  The idea behind the SPA's actions are to
scare other organisations into buying new licences to replace those that
cannot be found or properly identified (as well as to buy licences for
software that was illegally copied).

Most businesses and organisations have illegally copied software here and
there.  But most of it is non-essential.  For example, a small company with
5 PCs might have a single copy of some project management software.  Most of
the time, there is only one person using it, and that's all they need.  But
they other employees might also have a copy installed for convenience, so
that they can view the files on-screen rather than printing them out.
Legally, this is piracy, but it is costing the software company nothing.
When discussing piracy, it is important to think of the *real* costs, not
the figures MS (and other companies, to a lesser extent) bandy around.  Yes,
piracy is illegal, immoral and a problem for the industry, but it is not
nearly the problem MS make it out to be.  The SPA is just a new trick for MS
to try to get paid more for something they have already sold (like their
double-charging for drive image installations).

Don't forget that piracy made MS what it is today.  If people had always had
to pay for MS products, they would never have used them in the first place.

------------------------------

From: SomeoneElse (SoneoneElse)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:21:54 GMT

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:15:45 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Wouldn't it be...interesting...if Gates were to turn out to be a
>Scientologist.
Isn't that the region of the country where it started?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: 10.8 Terabytes of storage for $50
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:44:46 GMT

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 06:01:04 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
Ebert) wrote:

>http://www.slashdot.com
>
>This just posted.  They've profected a 10.8 terabyte

That's 'perfected', not 'profected'.  And no, they didn't.  It's still
in R&D, and there's some question as to whether it actually works the
way they say it will.

>storage device the size of a credit card for $50.
>It's faster than any drive man has ever made.

Wrong again.  Theoretically, the latencies in holographic storage
devices (which IBM has been tinkering with since the 1970's) is even
lower.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Threat: non-existant
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:27:12 -0500

pip wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> [snip]> > All true - but remember - M$ is a monopoly because they
> > > sold what people wanted to buy at a time when the alternatives
> > > were crap. You could arue that
> >
> > Wrong.  DR-DOS 3.0 had features that M$ never implemented until 5.x and
> > 6.x
> >
> > Not only that, but it crashed a lot less and DR sold DR-DOS for almost
> > 50%
> > *LESS* than MS sold MS-DOS.
>
> OK, this may be the case, but (searching my head for examples),
> you had a platform that ran lots of IBM software and ran the
> things that people wanted to do: spreadsheets AND other things
> where Apple didn't really do that much, only showed promise. As
> for DR-DOS - I just can't remember what the software scene was like.
>
> However, you'll need to remind me if DrDos was 50% less why did ms-dos
> succeed? Did IBM not go after the clone market?

Because, if a customer chose the (lower priced) DR-DOS, he was charged
EXTRA because Microsoft had arm-twisted the OEM's into paying for an
MS-DOS license REGARDLESS of whether it was installed and shipped or
not.

Microsoft's criminality goes all the way back to the early 1980's...
Hell....back to the 1970's.... MS-BASIC was plagiarized from BASIC
for the DEC PDP-11.

> By the time the tide turned to msdos, Apple was simply doing
> the stupid thing it always had done and charged too much and assumed
> that people would but the "better" computer. What was DR-DOS doing
> seeing as it was more advanced?

The REAL mistake was that the original Macs had ZERO expansion slots.
Up until that time, LOTS of hobbyists were more than willing to pay
the relatively high costs for an Apple ][, ][+, or //e

But...with no expansion slots....a lot of Apple affecionados were
rather offended.

> Now if people at Apple had their marketing brains on earlier
> there is no reason why they should not have been the new slightly-evil
> empire - instead M$ had what people bought. DR-DOS died.

Wrong.  M$ shoved their product down peoples' throats.  IF you ordered
a computer with DR-DOS, the OEM was FORCED to purchase an M$ license
for that computer anyways (and of course, that cost WAS passed onto
the consumer).

> > So...MS arm-twisted OEM's into charging customers for an MS-DOS license
> > even if the customer wanted DR-DOS and did *NOT* have MS-DOS on the
> > machine.
>
> How?

Extortion.

>      Could they not licence DR-DOS?

Yes...which did NOTHING to keep M$ for charging for a license anyways

>                                       If they could then surely they
> would have picked the "best" product - especially if DR-DOS was
> cheaper. M$ had no market power then - so for once they were on a level
> playing field.

What part of "pay for an MS-DOS license for EVERY CPU shipped"
do you not understand?

> > > 1. OS is a natural monopoly
> > >         API's, file formats and device drivers are all serious "lock-in"
> > > 2. Monopolies exist because they are the best at the time
> > >         M$ provided a platform with better software than Apple did at the time
> > >
> > > They are now of course a deeply evil company in their tactics dept.
> >
> > They are an evil company because they have a 20-year history of criminal
> > behavior.
> >
> > What part of CONVICTED do you not understand?
>
> And I'm glad they were. In fact it did not go far enough.
> Take the battle between M$ and Sun over Java - as a Java advocate
> (yes - I'll get you using Java apps- just you wait) I can see clearly
> how M$ abuses any monopoly power they have to smash competitors.

It goes back to the 1970's.

Gates once showed up at a convention....complaining that Software
stores were pirating MS-BASIC...the *SAME* Basic Interpreter which
he plagiarized from a source code printout of DEC PDP-11 BASIC.

> I still think that (IMHO) m$ got to that size, not only because they
> were complete
> ruthless buggers - but also because they SOLD lots because
> people WANTED it. There were other computer systems, other os's: so
> why did this become so popular? Is it not because if
> we like it or not - it was what people wanted. Did
> people really care if the computer had a nice GUI or could
> do a cheap Lotus or clone spreadsheet? Why didn't a good PC Unix
> appear earlier? I am not defending
> the fact that M$ abuse their market position - just that
> they got their because people didn't want other solutions or
> that other solutions simply were not there.
> Go on.... admit it :-)

If I had my way, a Marine Expeditionary Brigade, backed by two
Marine Air Wings, and the 16-inch guns of two Iowa-class battleships
would be set against M$'s Redmond, Washington campus.

> p.s. [OT]
>
> I was ranting a while ago about the lack of Alcatel USB driver
> support. Luckily companies are slowly seeing the light, and Alcatel for
> one
> is releasing open source drivers soon :-) This is a really big
> deal for me as atm I can't use my ADSL connection with my
> lovely Linux server.
> ( http://www.alcatel.com/vpr/?body=/latestnews/12022001uk )

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:28:29 -0500

pip wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > O[snip]
> >         This is simply delusional.
> >
> >         At no point in time has Microsoft bested it's competitors
> >         technically. Try and demonstrate otherwise, in actual
> >         detail rather than simply by empty rhetoric.
>
> Doh! People just don't listen when it comes to hating Microsoft!
> THEY WERE NOT TECHNICALLY MORE ADVANCED. THEY SOLD MORE.
> WHY?

Because they arm-twisted OEM's into contracts which effectively
penalized any consumer who wanted to replace M$-ware with non-MS
products.

> >         Microsoft sold what people thought most other people used.
> >         The vendorlock you allude to existed as early as 1988, more
> >         than a decade ago, and prior to the existence of ANY useful
> >         version of Windows.
>
> So? What you are saying by implication is that people allowed
> vendor lock-in because they bought products that ran on msdos
> EVEN when there were alternate choices?
>

> >         Microsoft was subjecting people to DOS driver installs and
> >         manual memory management as late as the 2nd half of 1995.
>
> Yes, so? Am I saying msdos was any good? All I am saying is that
> it sold more and that is M$ became such a force - like it or not
> people (for what ever reason) chose it!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:29:48 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> http://www.slashdot.com
>
> This just posted.  They've profected a 10.8 terabyte
> storage device the size of a credit card for $50.
> It's faster than any drive man has ever made.
>
> WHOOM!  There went the world.

Only as long as the power stays up.
Unlike a disk drive, it's NOT persistant memory.

> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:32:17 -0500

mitch wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:57:06 +0000, pip
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >Sounds wonderful - and I just bought a new 30.7GB HD for more :-(
> >
> >What's happening about that IBM memory-based HD?
> >
> >There seems to be much hype and no products :-(
> >
> >Besides - its all a bad idea. I can't remember why I saved my files on 2
> >gig partition,
> >how on earth am I going to find things in terabytes - I'll need to
> >actually
> >_organise_ my files! That sucks.
>
> I think that companies like 'google' and 'lycos' will make a killing
> in selling localised search engines - they`ll be the only way to find
> things on storage devices such as this, comparable in size to large
> chunks of the internet.
>
> If they haven`t thought of this yet, you saw it here first, and I
> claim all rights to this idea.  (Patent Pending)

You now have 365 days to file a patent.

> --
> Smileys are nothing but conceptual wheelchair ramps for the humor impaired.
>  - Geoff Miller

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.