From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:05:06 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >

> >Charlie Ebert wrote:

> >> DO NOT expect me to give a discussion of how to WIRE a 60's era CPU
> >> for batch processing.
> >
> >Is that with or 1-conductor patch cords?
> >

> I don't know what the 1-conductor was but
> they were definitely patch cords.

single-conductor patch cord....if you look at the plug, a stereo
patch cord has 3 sections on it (left, right, and ground), mono
has two (signal and ground).

Single conductor patch cord has a "solid" plug (only carries
signal, as there is no need to patch ground between plug-ins...
On a properly configured analog computer, the chassis of all of
the components are grounded together with grounding straps
at installation.

> >> --
> >> Charlie
> >>
> >>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
> >>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
> >>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> >> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
> >>       http://www.debian.org
> >
> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642
> >

> >H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >    premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >    you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >    you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> >I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >   challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >   between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> >J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >   The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >   also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> >A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> >B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >   method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >   direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> >C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> >D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >   ...despite (C) above.
> >
> >E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >   her behavior improves.
> >
> >F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >   adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> >G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: kool breeze <kool;[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .NET is plain .NUTS
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:56:52 GMT

>REPUBLICANS!
>.RIP  It's where *THEY'LL* will be going!
>
>This .NET thing is the *WORSE* case of REPUBLICANS attempting to fuck
>REPUBLICANS I've ever seen in my life.
>
>And REST ASSURED, if you're the corporate manager who's just set your
>company a course on Microsoft's path, REPUBLICANS will blame you for
>this disaster and they will *FIRE* you.
>
>*BANK* on it junior.

This republic of America gave you the right to spout off, the internet
access to do it on and the free time to do it.

dumbass.

I hate MS and love linux, but you happened to biting the hand that fed
you.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:23:19 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : No, really, I want to know.
>
> : When it's good for Linux, Linux is Unix. When it's bad for Linux,
> : Linux isn't Unix.
>
> Bull.  There are many Unixen, of which Linux is one in every
> way except the legal trademark way.  This is very simple, and
> very consistent.  When speaking on technical issues, Linux is
> one of the Unixes.  When speaking on legal or corporate issues,
> (trademark discussions, or discussing how "unix companies" tend
> to act) it is not.
>
> Now, speaking on technical issues, both statements: "Linux is Unix"
> and "Linux is not UNIX" don't really fit 100%.  UNIX is a set of
> OSes, ONE of which is Linux.  Niether sentence tells the whole
> story.  You are comparing a set to a scalar.  This might be why
> you are confused on this very simple issue.  That's why
> I was careful to phrase it as "Linux is ONE OF THE Unixen".
> But English is a sloppy language, where it is *sometimes* acceptable
> to say "A is B" when you really mean "A is a subset of B"
> (Example, "a bannana is fruit".  This is because nouns sometimes
> are treated like objects and sometimes like classes, depending
> on context.  UNIX is such a noun.)

Actually, a better way to put it is:

          ------ ------
         / | | |X  - - \
        / | | |/+\- - - \
       / | | |/+ +\- - - \
      / | | |/+ + +\- - - \
     / | | |/+ + + +\- - - \
    | | | ||+ Linux +|- - - |
    | Linux| +  &  + | Unix |
    | | | ||+ Unix+ +|- - - |
     \ | | |\+ + + +/- - - /
      \ | | |\+ + +/- - - /
       \ | | |\+ +/- - - /
        \ | | |\+/- - - /
         \ | | |X- - - /
          -----  ------

Except that the relative size of the "+" field is HUGE
and the size of the "-" and "|" fields are very small (about
1 to 2 orders of magnitude smaller than "+"

> : I wish you guys would make up your mind and stick to something,
> : because it really just makes you look like idiots. But then,
> : we always knew that, I guess.
>
> Speaking in the royal "we", are "we", Chad?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Politics (was Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else)
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:25:54 -0500

Johan Kullstam wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Johan Kullstam wrote:

> > > it's a simple matter of statistics.  imagine two voting districts.
> > > one 70% repulican, 30% democrat.  one 30% R and 70% D.
> > > say that 10% of all ballots are not counted for whatever reason.
> > > suppose further that political affiliation is independent to
> > > counted/uncounted ballots.  then, every ballot recovered in the
> > > former, largely republican district, will be more likely to be
> > > republican.  in the latter district, they will tend to be democratic.
> > > of course gore will push for a recount where it will help him most.
> > >

> > It still doesn't change the fact that by challenging their counts,
> > Gore was calling the Democrat-run election boards a bunch of liars.
>
> are you trying to imply that al gore challenged the results in
> democrat controlled voting districts in order to call them a bunch of
> liars?

That's the ONLY possible message.

Gore didn't believe the account of the Democrat-majority
election boards....

>   or are you trying to change the subject?

....either that, or he was counting on them to commit
vote-fraud in his favor.

There are no other possibilities.

> > > both parties did what they could to win.  believing the rhetoric of
> > > either of them is silly.
>
> --
> J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
> [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Don't Fear the Penguin!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:29:55 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <96i0us$d7o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Steve Mading  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >: Demonizing another organization doesn't really help, I'm afraid.  IBM
> >: doesn't monopolize consumer OSes.
> >
> >Well, not recently anyway.  Their past monopolizations are
> >singlehandedly responsible for EBCDIC and COBOL lasting much
> >longer than they had any right to as viable choices.
> >

>     EBCDIC maybe, not COBOL.  Computer languages have tremendous
>     longevity if they meet the needs of even a small fraction of the
>     populace.

Actually, EBCDIC persists for the same reason COBOL does.

The so-called "Dusty-deck" problem.

Nobody wants to rewrite the code to use ASCII.

IBM would be doing their customers a favor by making it easier
to migrate to ASCII by making dual-mode (EBCDIC & ASCII) printers.

The problem is this...you have code that works on some database.
It's all written for EBCDIC.

If you convert even ONE program to ASCII, then you have to convert
EVERYTHING...that program *and* the database *and* EVERY SINGLE OTHER
PROGRAM THAT INTERACTS WITH THAT DATABASE.

Normally, there is just WAY too much chaos as is, without introducing
a character-set conversion as well.

>     LISP and BASIC are still with us after years of being derided by
>     Computer Scientists.
>
>     Businesses do not like to "throw it away and write a better one" if
>     what they already have can be tweaked to keep producing.
>
>     That is going to be a major conflict with the Open Source
>     philosophy.
>
> --
> How much do we need to pay you to screw Netscape?
>         - BILL GATES, to AOL in a 1996 meeting

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:31:19 -0500

Giuliano Colla wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> >
> > > :     EBCDIC maybe, not COBOL.  Computer languages have tremendous
> > > :     longevity if they meet the needs of even a small fraction of the
> > > :     populace.
> > >
> > > :     LISP and BASIC are still with us after years of being derided by
> > > :     Computer Scientists.
> > >
> > > BASIC might fit that description, but LISP was not derided by Computer
> > > Scientists.  They loved it.  People who wanted to get practical work
> > > done hated it because it is a lot of work to think of every algorithm as
> > > a case of recursion, although it is in theory possible.
> >
> > Definitely possible. I don't know about List (I know a bit of Haskell,
> > another functional language) but it can be extremely elegant to write
> > purely recursive algorithms. After all, a loop is just one specific case
> > where you can think the whole thing through (according to Knuth).
> >
> > -Ed
> >

> Don't mention Knuth when Chad is listening. It's 70's technology!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: It's just too easy
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 04:31:47 -0000

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Put in the NIC
>
>Screw it up.

I don't think this is what you meant. :-)

--
 --------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:33:05 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Ian Davey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > It's possible that Christ existed, in fact I think there's more evidence than
> > just the bible to suggest that. Nothing though suggests he was anything more
> > than a jewish revolutionary who spoke out against the Romans. In fact there
> > was some more evidence about that discovered recently, the subject of an
> > interesting documentary called "the real jesus christ". It put everything in a
> > historical perspective and made a lot of sense. About how Paul used the death
> > of Jesus to create a religion, and hid the real man behind stories of
> > miracles etc. Very interesting stuff and lots of political intrigue and
> > infighting.
>
> Yes, it is possible to believe a event happened in the past...even
> if the event can't be repeated.
>
> That's why Materialism is hopelessly flawed. We all know that JFK
> was shot, but can't repeat the experiment. How do we go about
> proving a historical event.

Zapruder film.
Autopsy.
Funeral.

Case closed.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:36:03 -0500

Nigel wrote:

> Mike wrote:
>

> > "Nigel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> > > Wow - didn't think of all of these. Bet the windows clones of unix tools
> > > can't use the output of one command as commandline parameters for next
> > > command.
> >
> > Huh? xargs works fine on my W2k machine. Were you thinking of something
> > else?
> >
> > The stuff Aaron mentioned is more realistic. The NTFS file system supports
> > links, but not in a way that most Unix users would find useful. I'm not
> > sure what he means by "memory protected" multi-tasking, but I suspect he's
> > referring to Win95/98, not NT/2k. Pipes have been supported for years in
> > DOS - I'm not sure when they were first implemented, but I'm sure I
> > remember using pipes in DOS 2.0. Pipes are a pretty simple construct, so
> > it's hard to think of why they wouldn't be supported (is there some other
> > pipe, Aaron?). My Win2k box supports multiple users (but those familiar
> > with W2k will realize that "multiple" means 2). As far as remote usage
> > goes, that's the one point I'd acknowledge straight away, but it's not one
> > that I find that I miss.
> >

> DOS (and windows console) can pipe the output of one command into the next
> (e.g. 'DIR |more' which pipes the output of DIR into the 'more' command)

Wrong.

DOS implemented  DIR | more as

DIR > tmpfile   ;   MORE < tmpfile.

A sequential operation, which is NOT the parallel operation
specified by DIR | MORE.

> but unix can also pipe the output of one command into the commandline
> arguments of the next command - e.g. piping the output of the find command
> into the commandline arguments of the del command to delete all files with
> specified name anywhere on filesystem.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:36:32 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> Nigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : DOS (and windows console) can pipe the output of one command into the next
> : (e.g. 'DIR |more' which pipes the output of DIR into the 'more' command)
>
> No.  It might look like that's what's happening on the surface, but in
> reality DOS ran the programs one at a time.  First it stored the output
> of the first program temporarily in a hidden file.  Second it ran
> the second program and fed it that file as input.  True pipes require
> multiple simultaneous processes to be running, something DOS didn't
> have.

MS-DOS..no.

Digital Research's DR-DOS..yes.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.