From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:11:52 GMT

"Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:96l491$2td$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Consumers wouldn't *choose* UNIX... you can easily get UNIX off the net or
> in many stores (Linux) and even preloaded.
>
> > due to Microsoft's illegal monopolization of the pre-load market.
>
> Nope.  First of all, a monopoly isn't illegal.  Secondly, nobody is forced
> to preload Windows... if this were true, you wouldn't see Linux preloads.

You really are delusional.  Have you forgotten the trial, the guilty
verdict,
the breakup order, and the fact that Linux preloads came afterwards?

> The bottom line is this:  The guys running the shops who need to make a
> living *know* that consumers would balk at Linux... heck, Linux doesn't
even
> have a decent browser!

Have you also forgotten that there was another company that made
all the original innovations in browser design?   And that they only
gave up after Microsoft's illegal bundling of the browser?

> Don't blame Linux' problems on MS.  Linux is an open system and its
problems
> are not in anyway MS' fault.

What problems?

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 15:13:57 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >

> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> If IBM had not 'open-sourced' the PC architecture, PCs may not have had
> >> the success they did.  It may be that the discussion would be
> >> open-source v Apple
> >
> >There were Apple clones in the early 1980's.
> >
> >Franklin was selling them in 1981.
> >

> This is TRUE!  A distant former Boss of mine actually had
> one of these!  I'm shocked you remember this!

Rumors of my alzheimer's are overstated.

> >> --
> >> http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club
> >
> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642
> >

> >H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >    premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >    you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >    you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> >I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >   challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >   between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> >J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >   The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >   also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> >A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> >B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >   method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >   direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> >C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> >D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >   ...despite (C) above.
> >
> >E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >   her behavior improves.
> >
> >F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >   adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> >G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New kernel 2.4.1 rocks with IPMASQ
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:21:00 GMT

Adam Warner wrote:

> This is my simple NAT and packet filtering:

<snip>

Looks good -

> I would expect that Realplayer should work. I have installed:
> rp8.linux20.libc6.i386.cs1.rpm

Same here -

> But I can't view the:
> "Red Hat's retort: Open source enables innovation"
>
> Available from http://news.cnet.com.

I can't view it either, but I never suspected iptables.

Since I can easily view real content elsewhere on
the net with no problem, I suspected the site was
horked up or had some silly  hard-wired windows
dependency.

In a similar note, I see a lot of web pages that need
to be run through demoronizer.pl

jjs

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and QA
Date: 17 Feb 2001 13:25:14 -0700

imekon@$$$REMOVE$$$.freeuk.com (Pete Goodwin) writes:

> What kind of testing is done on Linux distributions?

Beta releases.

> Is it a manual test?
>
> A patently bad test as is obvious in Linux Mandrake 7.2?
>
> Is it automated?
>
> Are the scripts out there that can be run to verify a system?
>
> What "Quality Assurance" is done on Linux systems?

The same that is done for every software product ever done:  Users
test, people fix.  It's just that under Linux more of the users
are able to get their feedback to the right people.  When Windows
crashes, people just give up and accept it.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:26:16 GMT

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> Todd wrote:
> >
> > Actually, W2k has rcmd... a more secured version of telnet.  NT/W2k has
> > had rcmd and rcmdsvr for quite some time... one reason that NT lacked a
> > telnet
> > server.  It just wasn't needed in a Windows only environment.
> >
> > -Todd
> >
> Well, that is really fine. As you already said, "windows only environment".
> This fine piece of rcmd does not any good in anything else than a "w o e"
> Why on earth did MS even do that?

Actually, it looks like the windows users have been fooled
again, since rcmd sounds like nothing more than a pc version
of the old Unix rexec/rsh commands.

Hardly "a more secured version of telnet".

And again, ssh does all of this and more, but encrypted.

jjs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: My Win2k Network Nightmare!!!!!!
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:29:48 GMT

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 17:56:32 +0000, pip
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You don't know how to read.
The card was fully recognized by Win2k PNP after I moved it to another
slot.
The IRQ changed of course but the drivers loaded for the card fine and
there were no conflicts in resources.

The correct protocols were bound to the card as well.

Why should I have to re-load drivers that are already loaded for the
card?

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:30:38 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] in alt.destroy.microsoft on 16 Feb 2001
>    [...]
> >Note that the speed of the newest VNCw/compression kicks both their asses.
>
> Tell me more.  What's "VNCw/compression"?

Just a wild guess, but my money says "VNC with compression"

jjs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Date: 17 Feb 2001 20:31:08 GMT

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 14:32:27 -0500,
Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Perry Pip wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:28:35 GMT,
>> Pete Goodwin <imekon@$$$REMOVE$$$.freeuk.com> wrote:
>> >What kind of testing is done on Linux distributions?
>>
>> That depends on the distribution. With debian, the testing cycle,
>> i.e. the time it takes for a particular dist name (i.e. slink, potato,
>> woody, sid) to move from 'unstable' to 'testing' to 'stable' status is
>> typically over a year.
>>
>> >Is it a manual test?
>> >

>> Public beta testing. In the case of debian, for well over a year.
>>
>> >A patently bad test as is obvious in Linux Mandrake 7.2?
>>
>> Mandrake is a POS AFIAC, and has done a disservice to the Linux
>> community. They started out as nothing but an exact clone of Redhat
>> 5.2, but with KDE added to give it some eye candy. Since one could
>> have added KDE to RH 5.2 anyways, the added value of Mandrake was
>> nil. Then when they started adding their own stuff to the dist, they
>> did a shitty job of it. Thus the added value became negative.
>>
>> Ever notice Mandrakes version numbers, which started out the same as
>> RH when they forked off from RH, are always about 0.2 higher that
>> RH. That's nothing but a cheap marketing ploy to fool potential
>> newbies looking at shrink wrapped Linux dists in the store into
>> thinking that Mandrake is a later version of Linux than Redhat. Suse,
>> unfortunately, has resorted the same BS tactic to try to increase
>> their sales.
>
>The problem is this....
>
>Redhat Linux X.Y
>SuSE Linux W.Z
>
>To the uninformed (Linux-wise), English grammatical rules
>imply that the meaning is:
>
>Redhat's version of "Linux X.Y"
>and
>SuSE's version of "Linux W.Z"
>
>the X.Y and W.Z are more tightly, and misleadingly associated with
>the word Linux than with the Brand name (to which it *actually* applies)

The problem became ecxacerbated when companies that spun off from RH,
particulary Suse and Mandrake, kept RH's version system instead of
starting their own. Caldera, the first big spin-off from RH did create
their own. Slackware OTOH, which was never a RH spin-off, mysteriously
jumped their version # to catch up with RH. It's a decieving game to
fool newbies by one-upping the other guys version #.

I'm glad debian doesn't play up to these marketing games.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which Linux?
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:33:50 GMT

Ant wrote:

> I got a older 486 laptop with 5 meg of ram and a floppy drive, No CD-ROM. I
> want to install a version of Linux on it to get some experience for a job
> position I am applying for in Web Support. Which version should I install?

Well, that's going to be tough no matter how
you slice it - I haven't seen any web servers
lately that will run on a 5 MB system.

I did run a web server on a 4 MB 386 awhile back,
but it was no speed demon, and I didn't dare start
X windows.

Slakware or debian would probably work, and you
really won't have much of a "web support" environment
available, but you can get familiar with the shell, job
control, scripting etc.

jjs

------------------------------

From: "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:37:38 GMT

Frankly, most of us have had frustrating episodes with linux, too.  I did
just last week, after buying a linksys card that was supposed to be
specifically supported under Linux, only to find that the required driver
(tulip.o) was broken in kernel 2.4.0.   I eventually found the updated
driver source and it all seems to work, but I have a larger point:

Instead of debating specific issues of whether doing some task is easier
in Linux, or whether one or the other has a little better looking GUI, I
think the larger issues are more important, like whether you want some
company jerking you around and milking you if there's a free, open
alternative.  It may always be the case that features tend to arrive first
on commercial OS's - gui stuff on mac or windows, industrial-strength
stuff on solaris or other UNIX - but in the end I think linux does the
best job of gravitating to what's best for users because there's no
hidden corporate agenda.

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 12:44:32 -0800

Perry Pip quoth:

> >Since then, they have developed their own installer.
>
> A flakey, difficult to use one.

I've never had it crash.  Difficult to use?  lol.  It's actually pretty
rare to see linux people fudding other linux distros.

> >Their SGI
> >optimized version of Apache requires very little tweaking out of the
> >box.
>
> Like I really need a SGI optimized version of Apache!!

It came with the OS.  It included everything that I wanted ( mod perl,
mod php, dbd/dbi extensions for mysql, postgres, et al. ) and I have
been using it in production on 4 systems with no complaints.

> >They release rpm versions of security fixes usually within 24
> >hours after CERT announces a problem.
>
> So?? CERT announces problems weeks after they appear in
> BugTraq. Debian responds within 24 hours of that.

This isn't a religious issue with me.  I started out with Debian.

> Eye candy. They know how to make KDE look pretty.

...and they know how to make linux easy to install.

> >There is a reason why Mandrake was the #1 selling linux
> >distribution in the world in December with 28% marketshare.
>
> 28%?? BS!! How about some proof.

28% for December.

Figures from the most recent issue of PC Data reveal that
Linux-Mandrake(TM) version 7.2, launched in November, was the
best-selling Linux operating system in December 2000 with more than 28%
market share.

Get a copy of pc data if you want more specifics than I have just given
you.

> And there's a reason Microsoft outsells everyone. Marketing
> BS. Mandrake merely one-upped Redhat's version number to steal sales
> from them.

lol... Mandrake went from 6.2 to 7.0 when they switched from the redhat
tui installer to their own gui drak installer plus additional security
features. They went from 7.0 to 7.1 with improved security features,
gnome 1.2, and the newest apache distro.  Then went from 7.1 to 7.2
with kde2, the 2.4 kernel, and the new version of xfree86.  throughout
that time they have continually increased the amount of software that
they bundle with the OS.  Definitely a value add, and a legitimate
version change at each place along the line.

> I don't. I've had my own experiences w/ Mandrake. I've been using
> Linux since '94. IMHO Mandrake is a well marketed, poorly put together
> POS.

I've been using linux since 1995  I find mandrake to be the easiest to install
of any distros I have tried which includes debian, redhat, and SuSe.
Maintenance is virtually no different between mandrake, redhat, or any
other rpm-based distro, and it you have been using the OS since 1994,
you should know it.

Linux is linux.  Why FUD a given distribution.  There is already more
than enough of that coming out of Redmond.  Why help them out?

--

Salvador Peralta                   -o)
Programmer/Analyst, Webmaster      / \

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft
Date: 17 Feb 2001 13:52:08 -0700

mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Craig Kelley wrote:
> >
> > mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > Unfortunately, GW (idiot son of a bad president) proves that our entire system
> > > is for sale. Fix a few elections, buy a few people, appoint Ashcroft, it is a
> > > sad period in my counties history. I think we have hit rock bottom,
> > > unfortunately, they are looking for shovels.
> >
> > At least he didn't take multi-million dollar contributions in exchange
> > for a presidential pardon.
>
> I doubt very much Clinton did, but perhaps there should be some historical
> perspective applied by examining the last minute pardons of other presidents.
> >
> > By the way, what are your SAT scores?  We can compare them to GW's and
> > see how much of an idiot you are.
>
> I don't wish to share mine, however, I am curious as to what his were. I am
> betting below 1200.

You're wrong.

Bush's verbal: 566; Bush's math: 640

He also graduated with an MBA from Harvard, which hardly qualifies as
a moron.  Not that I agree with Bush on every (many?) things, but it's
silly to rant about the man until he screws up.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE Whiners
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:50:37 +0100

Tim Hanson wrote:

> > Im not upset by anything else then the avertising and that issue is
> > cleared... so im NOT upset  at all at the moment.
> > I welcome commercialism in Linux and the BSD's since i believe that the
> > quality and diversity of products will increase and i am willing to pay
> > for it.. actually i have spent much more on Linux software and Linux
> > distributions then on Microsoft software
> >
> > What irritates me is that  Gnomers allways have given the impression
> > that
> > commercialism was bad and  when suddenly one of their conmmercial
> > entityes goes on attack on free project they welcome it. So i dont have
> > much to say anymore about Ximian - thats cleared to everybodys
> > satisfactiuon- but
> > solely  about the biggotery and attitude of the light brigade of Gnome
> > loud voicers like Tim Hanson and a few others
>
> Windows spell check, no doubt.  I don't know any GNOME advocates who
> believe commercialism is bad, and no one here is "[going] on attack on
> [a] free project."  Advertizing does not constitute attack.  No one here
> said anything bad about KDE, except for the kickback scheme from
> TrollTech, which is simply their revenue model.

Nope - ispell that i didnt use. But since you resposd you obviously
understand what i wrote.. or why respond to something you dont understand?

> > Most of us never had any problem.. if you had you had the choice to not
> > install any of it.
>
> You might have a little problem with spelling, but I'm sure it's only
> artistic lapse.

Nothing artistic here... just not my mothertongue, but still good enough
for you to reply to my posts.

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:58:55 GMT

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 20:37:38 GMT, "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Frankly, most of us have had frustrating episodes with linux, too.  I did
>just last week, after buying a linksys card that was supposed to be
>specifically supported under Linux, only to find that the required driver
>(tulip.o) was broken in kernel 2.4.0.   I eventually found the updated
>driver source and it all seems to work, but I have a larger point:

Oh I know that :)

I was simply telling both sides of the story because neither operating
system is perfect at everything.

>Instead of debating specific issues of whether doing some task is easier
>in Linux, or whether one or the other has a little better looking GUI, I
>think the larger issues are more important, like whether you want some
>company jerking you around and milking you if there's a free, open
>alternative.  It may always be the case that features tend to arrive first
>on commercial OS's - gui stuff on mac or windows, industrial-strength
>stuff on solaris or other UNIX - but in the end I think linux does the
>best job of gravitating to what's best for users because there's no
>hidden corporate agenda.

Like I have said many times, if and when the applications I need to
use are available for Linux I will switch in a NY minute. As it stands
all of this .NET stuff and MS Spyware may push me over to the Mac
world because much of my digital audio software has Mac versions on
the same CD's.