From: "Sam Heads" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Darwinian Evolution and open software
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:45:40 +0100

Dear group,

I am responding to a post to sci.bio.evolution by Wilbert Kruithof asking
for an evolutionary biologist's opinion on your recent discussions regarding
your software and Darwinism. Well, first, let me introduce myself - I am a
Palaeobiologist from the UK with particular research interests in Palaeozoic
marine/aquatic arthropods and the Cambrian Radiation. I also have an
interest in software, but I'm afraid my knowledge of the subject is limited.

Wilbert Kruithof requested the presence of an expert in Evolution in this
newsgroup to comment on aspects of your software and its relation to
Darwinism. I was intrigued by the idea, and just thought I'd pop in to say
hello, offer my biological expertise about a bit, and hopefully learn
something about software.

Best wishes,
--
Sam Heads
Palaeobiologist

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 03:48:45 -0400

"Marada C. Shradrakaii" wrote:

> >The clause says "GENERAL welfare" not welfare.  PUBLIC ROADS constitute
> >general welfare.  AFDC, and WIC checks, and special tax breaks are
> >*NOT* ***GENERAL*** welfare...they are specific welfare for specific
> >individuals.  Same thing goes for Social Security.
>
> Depends.  A bunch of poor, unemployed or underemployed people with no food or
> funds to purchase same, can probably make the general society less comfy.

So, what you're saying is that the ends justify the means (paying off
the unemployed justifies theft from those who are productive).

> --
> Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
> Colony name not needed in address.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 03:51:22 -0400

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : After all, property is the only human right which matters, eh?  Funny
> : how they left it out of the Constitution, substituting "pursuit of
> : happiness" for the right to property.
>
> Hint: check out the 5th and 14th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution.
>
> You may be thinking of the Declaration of Independence.  It however is
> not the law; the Constitution is.

Actually, the Supreme Court WILL entertain legal theories based upon
the Declaration of Independance....as long as it weaves into a rational
interpretation of the Constitution.  So also, legal theories based upon
arguments documented in The Federalist Papers and the Anti-Federalist Papers.

> Joe

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dying
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 03:52:56 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chad Everett
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on 1 Apr 2001 08:19:52 -0600
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >On 1 Apr 2001 04:51:57 GMT, Stephen S. Edwards II
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >>
> >>: On Sun, 1 Apr 2001 01:39:22 +0200, Roy Culley wrote:
> >>: >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >>: >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) writes:
> >>: >> On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:45:16 +0200, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >>: >>
> >>: >> No, SunOS was based on BSD, new versions of Solaris are SysV based.
> >>: >
> >>: >SunOS 4.x and earlier were based on BSD. SunOS 5.x is based on SysV.
> >>: >Solaris is a complete environment OS plus GUI and applications. Solaris
> >>: >1.x had SunOS 4.x underneath. Solaris 2.x and later have SunOS 5.x
> >>: >underneath.
> >>
> >>: By SunOS, I don't mean "SunOS 5", and by Solaris, I don't mean
> >>: "Sun OS 4".  Sun did this funny thing with the names to confuse
> >>: people, but it is not uncommon to use "SunOS" to specifically
> >>: mean the older version (and Solaris to mean the new SysV version).
> >>
> >>This reminds me of the time I was explaining to a person
> >>at work that Silicon Graphics Inc. is now officially
> >>called "SGI".
> >>
> >>Me:  Well, officially, they're called "SGI" now.
> >>He:  But SGI stands for Silicon Graphics Inc., right?
> >>Me:  Well, yes, but they're not officially called "Silicon Graphics"
> >>     anymore.
> >>He:  *blink-blink* *blank stare*
> >>Me:  Think of it in relationship to "IBM".  Nobody calls them
> >>     "International Business Machines" anymore, unless they're
> >>     talking about ancient history.
> >>He:  I see.  That is stupid.
> >>Me:  Hence the term, "marketdroids".
> >>
> >>I'm beginning to wonder if anything commercial is
> >>capable of making sense these days.  :-P
> >
> >Can you say "the artist formally known as 'Prince'"?
>
> Yes, although until recently that was "formerly".  However, the
> trademark (?) on the name expired (it was owned by a big music company;
> I forget which one), so he can call himself Prince again.
> No more odd-looking symbols.
>
> :-)
>
> (I am given to understand the name "Pentium" came about because
> it was trademarkable, unlike '586' or 'x86'.  But that was awhile ago.)

A lot of good it did.

AMD just started using "Pentium(TM) compatible" rather than "80586 compatible"

> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- oh darn
> EAC code #191       56d:02h:55m actually running Linux.
>                     I'm here, you're there, and that's pretty much it.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Beth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 08:46:56 +0100

People, people...give up the "party line" BS and face facts:

ALL political systems are crap.

Communism is crap.
Capitalism is crap.

To badly paraphrase Churchill, "Democracy is crap but it's the best we've
thought up so far"...

I mean, if you want to get your kicks from needlessly arguing back and forth
about "lefties" and "facists" then feel free but you'll get nowhere
fast...what you think all the political thinkers since the dawn of time have
been doing? This argument: "selfishness" vs. "altruism", me vs. you,
blah-blah-blah...is the oldest thing mankind has fought over...

It's interesting that someone pointed out the very close parallels between
Hitler (far, far right) and Stalin (far left)...don't you get it? Both ideas
at their extremes are more or less identical...they are BOTH CRAP...

Also, note that captialistic countries were/aren't/won't be purely
capitalistic and communistic countries were/aren't/won't be purely
communistic...they are ideals that cannot be physically reached...and, if
they were, then BOTH would collapse...

For instance, in a pure capitalistic environment, then an individual would
be striving for monopoly...it's the ideal state that a capitalist can aim
for...BUT, as every capitalistic country knows, you CAN'T allow monopoly
because, ironically, it's a communist dictatorship you're aiming for in the
ideal...

Let me just re-iterate: THEY ARE *ALL* CRAP...

Beth :)

------------------------------

From: Gunner© <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 01:01:32 -0700

"Beth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>People, people...give up the "party line" BS and face facts:
>
>ALL political systems are crap.
>
>Communism is crap.
>Capitalism is crap.
>
>To badly paraphrase Churchill, "Democracy is crap but it's the best we've
>thought up so far"...
>
>I mean, if you want to get your kicks from needlessly arguing back and forth
>about "lefties" and "facists" then feel free but you'll get nowhere
>fast...what you think all the political thinkers since the dawn of time have
>been doing? This argument: "selfishness" vs. "altruism", me vs. you,
>blah-blah-blah...is the oldest thing mankind has fought over...
>
>It's interesting that someone pointed out the very close parallels between
>Hitler (far, far right) and Stalin (far left)...don't you get it? Both ideas
>at their extremes are more or less identical...they are BOTH CRAP...
>
>Also, note that captialistic countries were/aren't/won't be purely
>capitalistic and communistic countries were/aren't/won't be purely
>communistic...they are ideals that cannot be physically reached...and, if
>they were, then BOTH would collapse...
>
>For instance, in a pure capitalistic environment, then an individual would
>be striving for monopoly...it's the ideal state that a capitalist can aim
>for...BUT, as every capitalistic country knows, you CAN'T allow monopoly
>because, ironically, it's a communist dictatorship you're aiming for in the
>ideal...
>
>Let me just re-iterate: THEY ARE *ALL* CRAP...
>
>Beth :)

Point, set and match to Beth

Gunner

 "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
 invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write
 a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort
 the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone,
 solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program
 a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
 gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows "speed"
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 02:03:48 -0700

David Rheaume wrote:

> I'm sorry, but where do you purchase your crack?  NT4 absolutely *flies* on
> a P3/600.  It flies on a P/200 with 32 MB RAM.
>
> And if you install Win2000 on a P3/600, not only will it outperform Win98 &
> Solaris, it'll also boot IP throughput by about 30% over any competing OS.
>
> Anyone who has gotten poor performance from either NT or Win2000 on a P3/600
> is suffering from one of the two following reasons:
>
> 1.  Some component(s) of the hardware platform is not HCL compliant.
> 2.  The installer/administrator is horribly ignorant of the OS and has
> misconfigured it far outside the reasonable expectations.
>
> Don't let your ignorance or the ignorance of other convince you that Windows
> (the NT kernel) is unreliable.

We weren't talking about server issues here.  We are talking about Home
use stand alone systems.  Go to any small town office store or whatever
and all you'll see for sale are Win98 or WinMe based systems.  By
reviewing public complaints on microsoft.Win98.performance ng I find all
too often people complaining about how their brand new 1Ghz PIII starts
getting slower .. and ....... slower and.............. slower each day.
The MSCEs reccomend defragging, scanreg /fix, and scanreg /opt to bring
it back up to snuff once a week.  Others suggest a monthly re-install of
the O/S.  I find this a very bad solution to an O/S that should have
been fixed a long time ago.

Dave Cutler designed the first versions of NT using multiple ring levels
of the i386.
Later MS decided to move most processes to ring 0 along with the kernel
and video.
MS did this to increase speed, but it lowers the stability if the video
driver isn't rock solid.  VMS uses 6 levels of isolation.  This one is
very stable.  Did NT or W2k ever been security tested and achieve the
"Orange" level for security? VMS has along with Honeywell and IBM.  UNIX
only makes it to the "Blue" level.

Take note tho that if the hardware and O/S have some incompatibilies
then the system is vulnerable in stability.

I'm currently using the Sol 8 x86 version for home use.  If I wanted a
really good system I'd have an Alpha with either VMS 7.2 or Tru64 UNIX.
Then we'd see the PIII or PIV in the rear view mirror fading fast.

> slower
> has
> > > >
> > > That's about what I've read in the microsoft performance
> slow,
> > > >
> > > Yes it used to be, "Boot Windows, get a cup of coffee".  But if this
> > > trend keeps going, it'll be, "Boot Windows, go to Colombia."
> > > --
> >
> > From a hardware perspective it'll probably take a Pentium IV to boot XP
> > by the way the past trends have been.

alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,misc.survivalism
From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 18:07:26 +1000

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> "Gunner=A9" wrote:
> >=20
> > Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >=20

> > >Because if these techniques worked,why not use them?
> > >The same reason U.S.  military strategists study every powerful milita=
ry
> > >entity since the Babylonians to Hitler,to Ho Chi Min.
> > >The same reason why the U.S. kidknapped German scientists during WW11.
> >=20
> > Name two.
> >=20
> > You are aware that the U.S. did offer immigrant status to a goodly
> > number of German scientists AFTER the war.. scientists who would other
> > wise have been tried, convicted and executed for war crimes? Werner
> > Von Braun comes to mind.

And we did this for humanitarian reasons?

> >=20
>=20
> Considering that the Soviet Red Army had prices on their heads, that
> was definitely the rational thing to do.

Would the Russins have used these scientists for their valuable=20
scientific knoweldge?

I think I answered your question.