Linux-Advocacy Digest #296, Volume #32           Sun, 18 Feb 01 19:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited (Tim Hanson)
  Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola? ("ono")
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: Interesting article (Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: Interesting article (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Linux and QA ("Nigel")
  Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola? (J Sloan)
  Re: .NET is plain .NUTS (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Linux and QA ("Nigel")
  Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola? (Mig)
  Re: Interesting article ("Nigel")
  Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola? (Peter
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola? (Peter
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft (mlw)
  Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation ("Nigel")
  Re: Pop Quiz: Who made this statement 15 months ago? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ] ("Chad Myers")
  Re: The Windows guy. ("Nigel")
  Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American   Activities
Committee ("Erik Funkenbusch")

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:29:57 GMT

Ziya Oz wrote:

> John Jensen wrote:
>
> > It's fair that some people sell things, and some people give things away.
>
> Well, according to the Open Source zealots, it's not enough to just give
> your stuff away, you have to GPL it!
>
> ****
> Ziya

If you author programs, GPL protects you from seeing your work, that you
no doubt spent a lot of time on and gave away with the best intentions,
show up in somebody's proprietary program as part of their revenue
stream, or "embraced and extended." so it is no longer usable without
someone else's extensions, for which they charge money.

Most Linux people aren't religious about the GPL, but for infrastructure
things like the Linux kernel and surrounding utilities, it guarantees
integrity.

--
Space is big.  You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-
bogglingly big it is.  I mean, you may think it's a long way down the

------------------------------

From: "ono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:21:09 +0100

> It has been very entertaining to watch the Windows advocates
> try in vain to discourage the growth of open source. I would
What growth? linux 0%, windows 93%.
See for yourself at: http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2001/February/os.html

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:00:51 +0100

http://www.bbcshop.com/bbc_shop/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=101&shop=bbc&mscssid=13483ATGU7S92NQ30002U40F6NR1EKE9

> I've got a feelung that the URL above will be wrapped by pan.
>
> -Ed

Nope, came across intact.

Peter

--
Are you sure you REALLY want to read this with Netscape?
[ ] YES  Go to the Microsoft site and download Internet Explorer

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:12:44 +0100

David Brown wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote in message ...
>
> >I'm not sure where the speed problem is either, however, I've noticed
> >that on the host system, when no one is connected to the server,
> >sometimes VNC will take 70% of the CPU time for no apparent reason.
> >Sometimes, the whole system (at the local console) seems bogged down. I
> >think VNC does some trickery at the video level that slows down the whole
> >works, even when no one is connected. I had to uninstall it because I
> >couldn't even work while physically sitting at the box.
>
> I have never had that problem.  When someone is connected, the server can
> take a noticeable proportion of the CPU time, but not nearly that much.
> Is
> it using that CPU time at a high priority?  Some programs, such as MS
> Excel Viewer, use 100% of CPU time if they can get it, but it is at a low
> priority - it looks stupid, and gives the user an even lower opinion of MS
> software quality, but it does not actually distrupt use of the machine
> (except for running SETI and the like).
>
> Have you told the VNC people about it, including your system setup?  I
> know you are not used to software developers listening to their users, but
> in the world of free software, developers are actually interested in what
> users think, and in improving their products.

I have still an old 66 MHz 486 (32MB RAM) running here and serving an
old app (which will be replaced by a linux one when I come around to
install and test it, it`s a ISDN-Application). On that old battered computer
runs Win95 (Win98 and newer refuse to install correctly). I installed VNC
there and control it from my linux-desktop (the screen is almost never on)
No problem, it is a bit slow sometimes when I move windows around,
otherwise runs without problems. No CPU-hog either (and boy would it be
visible on a machine like that). Memory usage very OK.
So, all in all, no reason for stuff like TS to exist at all, VNC does it
quite well.
But then, it will also run on non-windows.
That is the bad message (for Chad, who again showed us that he is even
unable to install something as simple as VNC and get it to run decently.
But then, we did already know that.)

Peter

--
"The PROPER way to handle HTML postings is to cancel the article, then
hire a hitman to kill the poster, his wife and kids, and fuck his dog and

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:36:31 -0500

David Brown wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote in message ...
>
> >I'm not sure where the speed problem is either, however, I've noticed that
> >on the host system, when no one is connected to the server, sometimes
> >VNC will take 70% of the CPU time for no apparent reason. Sometimes, the
> >whole system (at the local console) seems bogged down. I think VNC does
> >some trickery at the video level that slows down the whole works, even
> >when no one is connected. I had to uninstall it because I couldn't
> >even work while physically sitting at the box.
>
> I have never had that problem.  When someone is connected, the server can
> take a noticeable proportion of the CPU time, but not nearly that much.  Is
> it using that CPU time at a high priority?  Some programs, such as MS Excel
> Viewer, use 100% of CPU time if they can get it, but it is at a low

More evidence of Mafiasoft incompetance or treachery.

(if it's not one, then it's definitely the other).

> priority - it looks stupid, and gives the user an even lower opinion of MS
> software quality, but it does not actually distrupt use of the machine
> (except for running SETI and the like).
>
> Have you told the VNC people about it, including your system setup?  I know
> you are not used to software developers listening to their users, but in the
> world of free software, developers are actually interested in what users
> think, and in improving their products.
>

> >> Speed improves dramatically if you turn off
> >> Windows features like full-window drag as opposed to rubber-banding.
> Here
> >> is a quote from the VNC faq:
> >>
> >>     We find VNC to be perfectly acceptable as our normal method of
> >>     accessing Unix desktops on a daily basis.  This is over a 10 Mbit/s
> >>     ethernet on reasonably modern machines, using the X or Win32 viewer.
> >>     Because Windows gives us fewer hints about what it's doing, and
> >>     because we don't have the source code for Windows in the same way
> that
> >>     we do for X, the WinVNC server has to work harder to find out what's
> >> changed, and so
> >>     a really fast machine should make a big speed
> >>     difference.
> >>
> >> Remote control products always have risks assosiated with them.  It is
> >> possible to run VNC through SSH or virtual private networks to improve
> >> security.  I don't know off-hand
> >> what your "known exploit" is, but I'll happily believe that there is one
> >> (unlike some people, I don't equate "I have not heard of it" with "it
> does
> >> not exist").
> >
> >A buffer overflow exploit was discovered last month, IIRC. This means
> >all servers running the VNC server are vulnerable to all the common
> >buffer overflow cracking techniques (arbitrary code execution, privilege
> >escalation, etc).
> >

> There is a hugh difference between finding a potential buffer overflow and
> being able to exploit it.  In most cases, it is immensly difficult to use a
> buffer overflow to crack into a system (arbitrary code execution, and the
> like).  They can often be used to cause random problems and crash the app in
> question, but that is not really a problem on the same scale.  Have you got
> a pointer or more information on the problem in question?
>
> >-Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Nigel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and QA
Date: 18 Feb 2001 22:44:50 GMT

> As I said, this version 7.1 is broken, I could go out and spend more
money
> on 7.2 but I am tired of getting caught in that merry go-round and at
this
> point I want to get a working modern version of Linux up and functional.
> am currently downloading Slackware, I hope to have it running by this
> evening.

Why spend money on Mandrake 7.2 - it can be downloaded as an ISO image
from their website ( the same way you are getting your new slackware
distro).

The only reason to buy any distro is to get manuals and support (or if you
only
have a slow or expensive net connection), otherwise you may as well just
download the ISO and burn your own (or get a magazine distributed distro).

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:47:04 GMT

ono wrote:

> > It has been very entertaining to watch the Windows advocates
> > try in vain to discourage the growth of open source. I would
> What growth? linux 0%, windows 93%.
> See for yourself at: http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2001/February/os.html

I had never heard of this site until seeing this link.

Apparently not many Linux servers make use of their
page counter function.

OTOH I could provide web server logs from a site I admin
that shows Linux has a 65% market share, which is about
as meaningful as your little counter link.

BTW help me understand something here -

You windows zealots angrily and forcefully claim
that Linux is nothing, it's doomed, it's even inferior
to windows, etc. So, if that is the case, why are you
so hung up on Linux?

Are you trying to convince us, or yourself?

jjs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: .NET is plain .NUTS
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:50:31 GMT

In article <96p8f5$fh3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bloody Viking wrote:

>mlw ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>: The BSA may be doing our work for us. In a Linux/GNU environment, the BSA can
>: go fuck itself. I think the BSA is probably one of the most disgusting
>: organizations.
>
>Ah, the irony of the BSA ending up forcing people to use Linux, that
>guarenteed legal freeware UNIX.
>
>This with the BSA and .NET is utterly disgusting, digital fascism at its
>worst. I'm way ahead of my time I suppose, having switched to Linux in 1994
>_becuse of the cost of software_ and no other reason. And I'm not afraid to
>tell people in real life that I use _UNIX_ at home. (people freak out that I
>don't use Windows)

Yet this is exactly my experience!

People actually FREAK OUT that I'm not using Windows anymore.

Yet they are the ones who are heading for the most tremendous ass fucking
ever created in software copyright history!

>Linux on my desktop is here to stay. Either that, or some other freeware UNIX.

It WILL be Linux because Linux is GPL'ed.
That's WHY Linux is growing at such a rapid rate.

When you contribute code to a GPL'd code base, that code
becomes GPL'd and thus is the property of the world.

It can not be copyrighted, it cannot be forbidden, stolen,
linked in with copyrighted, it's TRUELY FREE.

If you were to link in copyrighted code with GPL'd code,
they the copyrighted code would be in violation.

People who write software generally do so to provide a
SERVICE to their customer base.  They generally don't
write software just for the purpose of enforcing a copyright.

TRUELY, large software houses in the medical industry will
just give away the executables and even the sourcecode if
hospitals will just sign the maintenance agreement.  They
don't even give a fuck about the copyright, they want the
maintenance money.  The maintenance money is what I live off
of right now!

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: "Nigel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Feb 2001 22:52:26 GMT

> >...it's.....A WITCH!
>
> How about a dunking? If it floats - it's a witch, so burn it. If it
sinks,
> it was innocent. Oh hell, it drowned. Either way it's dead!

Well, if a witch floats then what else floats - a swan.

So if it weighs the same as a swan then it's a witch.

(not the exact quote but it's a while since I last saw monty
python's holy grail).

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:52:55 +0100

Ray Chason wrote:

> Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >No way  Ed. The guy doing the filtering has done an excellent job in
> >keeping spam and excesice X-posting off the server. I doubt though that
> >he has an eye on Aaron. My guess is that Aarons ISP is on some anti-spam
> >list that my admin uses but i cant check since i cant see Aarons headers
> >and im to lazy to do a search on deja.com.
>
> It might be taking that big wanking sig to be spam (it *is* a form of
> spam, after all).

Of course.. i didnt think about that but youre probably right. The guy is
as strict as possible judging from his answers to "complainers".

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: "Nigel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 18 Feb 2001 23:10:54 GMT

> Have you also forgotten that there was another company that made
> all the original innovations in browser design?   And that they only
> gave up after Microsoft's illegal bundling of the browser?

Have you forgotten that Netscape didn't innovate browser design either.

Browser design innovation came from the NCSA and was licenced to
netscape and Spyglass software. Spyglass were bought by MS and
their spyglass mosaic browser version 2 was renamed to IE version 2
(there was no IE version 1). Seems sad that netscape was destroyed
by MS using code from the same source as Netscapes browser.

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:44:54 +0100

Ray Chason wrote:
> Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >No way  Ed. The guy doing the filtering has done an excellent job in
> >keeping spam and excesice X-posting off the server. I doubt though that
> >he has an eye on Aaron. My guess is that Aarons ISP is on some anti-spam
> >list that my admin uses but i cant check since i cant see Aarons headers
> >and im to lazy to do a search on deja.com.
>
> It might be taking that big wanking sig to be spam (it *is* a form of
> spam, after all).

I download all interesting groups into leafnode.
A R Kulkis uses way too much space on my disks in proportion
to his postings. He can`t quote (nearly everytime the complete
preceding post, and than he answers most of the time with 1 or 2
sentences. After that this fucking SIG) I once killfiled him in the
newsreader, but for this group I disabled all killfile filtering recently.
But him I will probably just killfile while downloading, already working
on that. That SIG is nothing to be proud of, even 11 years old mentally
retarded would be ashamed of shit like that. Even posts from Chad Myers,
which consist of that brown smelly stuff only are not as obnoxious.

Peter

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 00:54:25 +0100

ono wrote:

> > It has been very entertaining to watch the Windows advocates
> > try in vain to discourage the growth of open source. I would
> What growth? linux 0%, windows 93%.
> See for yourself at: http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2001/February/os.html

Not only has ono no facts, those he thinks are facts are just plain BS
Note, ono : If I use linux, would I go to a windows-only-site to download
any stuff? You get it? Forget your counter, it is counting windows-loosers.

But who would have thought that ono could imagine those simple facts of
life, since Billy the Gates did not say so.

My Troll-O-Meter showed a limp 0.11 on it`s scale. Even Chad Myers
get better ratings. Ono, to beef up your experience in arguing, I would
guess it`s a good idea to go into a truck stop in the deep south and shout
some things about how the KKK sucks.
Afterwards your ratings would be much higher, I think.
(Or you deep-sixed. But that would be no loss)

Peter

--
begin  I-LOVE-BILLG.txt.vbs
http://www.klickibunti.org/buntibunti.html

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:15:49 -0500

Craig Kelley wrote:

> mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Craig Kelley wrote:
> > > Yes, he is very religious, which isn't a crime.  Being a puppet is up
> > > for debate.
> >
> > A crime, perhaps not, but an intelligent person would accept the separation of
> > church and state outline by men far smarter than he.
>
> You're speaking of the slave-owning founding fathers, I presume?  They
> are the ones that are much mor intelligent than Bush?  Do tell.

Slavery at the time was "normal." Of course I do not agree with it, but it was
nothing out of the ordinary in those days. Anti-slavery people were like the
pita is today.

> > > I guess we'll find out then.
> >
> > No, we already know. He's an idiot.
>
> If he's an idiot, then 95% of the nation is idiotic as well; unless
> you have some sort of meter that I do not have.  He scored in the 96th
> percentile on the SAT.

I argue the "96th" percent, but suffice to say my scores were much higher.

> Not that IQ is all-important; I have a great uncle with an IQ of 160,
> and there is no way I'd want him in charge of a bake-off, much less
> the presidency.  He's a bit... eccentric.

Eccentric people are viewed as such, typically because they see things
differently.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Nigel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft says Linux threatens innovation
Date: 18 Feb 2001 23:17:43 GMT

> And what's to stop the free product from being "really good" as well?

There is nothing to stop the free product being really good as well but
this
will just give the company who produces the commercial product more
incentive to be better.

You are assuming that if the free product is really good then nobody will
be able to produce anything better worth buying - if this were true then
nobody would ever upgrade to next version of commercial product either
and we would still be using msoffice 95 or older.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pop Quiz: Who made this statement 15 months ago?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:26:51 -0600

"Tim Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > And they tie in so nicely with Microsoft saying that free software is
> > un-American.
>
> "We are going to cut off their air supply. Everything they're selling,
> we're going to give away for free."
>                             -Microsoft Vice President Paul Maritz

"We've got our boots on their throats. The right thing to do is to press
until they stop breathing. If you're going to strike at the king, you better
cut his head off."
                                -Sun Chief Lawyer Mike Morris

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 23:10:41 GMT

"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
>
> > "Markus Friedl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:96p37v$gec$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > there is no 'shoddy encryption in SSH'. this looks like FUD.
> >
> > Wasn't a huge exploit found in SSH just a few weeks ago?
>
> Another of your patented "wild-eyed claims", Chad?
>
> No, sorry, there was no "huge exploit".
>
> However, it was found that

<SNIP: explanation of completely irrelevant SSH issue>

>From February 2001:
SSH1 implementations may allow remote system, data compromise
http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/advisory.html?id=3100
(OpenSSH uses SSH1, SSH corp uses SSH2)

Remote vulnerability in SSH daemon crc32 compensation attack detector
http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/advisory.html?id=3087

SSH protocol 1.5 session key recovery vulnerability
http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/advisory.html?id=3093
(admittedly in ver 1 of SSH.com, but still present in OpenSSH)

(semi-off topic, I mentioned an exploit in VNC earlier, this is it:)
Weak authentication in ATT's VNC
http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/advisory.html?id=3050
(this has nothing to do with SSH, but VNC)

>From January 2001:
Hostile server OpenSSH-agent/X11 forwarding
http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/advisory.html?id=3022

Maybe those aren't "huge" in your definition, but it hardly
looks like SSH or OpenSSH are hardly the paragon of security.

> > Also, according to the trademark holders of "SSH", OpenSSH is using
> > an older, less secure version of the SSH protocol which allows
> > it to be exploited in several ways.
>
> openssh can use protocol version 1 or 2, both of which
> are far more secure than telnet or the r commands.
>
> There is no newer ssh protocol than version 2.

According to the trademark cease-and-desist letter sent to the OpenSSH
folks from the SSH.com people, OpenSSH only uses the SSH1 protocol,
but they may be wrong, I guess.

> > I'm just repeating the facts. Ask them for more clarification.
>
> You are merely parroting phrases, the meaning of which
> is not known to you.

How then, do you answer to all the exploits mentioned above?

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Nigel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: 18 Feb 2001 23:27:31 GMT

> Wrong.
>
> DOS implemented  DIR | more as
>
> DIR > tmpfile   ;   MORE < tmpfile.
>
> A sequential operation, which is NOT the parallel operation
> specified by DIR | MORE.

The end result is the same as far as the user is concerned.
When this feature was implimented DOS was only a single
tasking OS so it could never have been designed to work
as a parallel operation like it is under multitasking unix.

The point I was making was that the other type of unix pipe
where the output of a command is used as the commandline
argument for another command has no DOS equivalent - and
cannot be implimented on a single-tasking DOS shell as executing
second command will end first one ( no pipes where second command
is called multiple times - once for each line of output from first
command).

As far as I can tell the Win2k shell still works this way.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Activities Committee
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:35:54 -0600

"Brent R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > been
> > remember
> > >
> > > Erm - please remind me: in what way does Ximinan support the
> > > the dictatorial policies of China?
> >
> > Well, it appears in todays society, having anything to do with a human
> > rights violator is tantamount to committing the violations yourself.
For
> > instance, IBM is being sued because they sold tabulation machines to the
> > Nazi's for use in their death camps.  Surely, if IBM loses, knowingly
> > cooperating with human rights violators would be the same.
> >
> > > What Ximinan _does_ support is making things a whole lot better
> > > for Linux users.
> >
> > At the cost of a few human lives.  (if you don't see the connection,
look
> > harder.  If the Chinese government uses Linux for their primary OS, and
> > changes are contributed to support the Chinese government, then clearly
> > Linux is actively being used to assist human rights violations)
> >
> > If that doesn't matter to you, no big deal.  If it does, you'd be a
> > hypocrite to use Linux.
>
> Gawd I've seen some "doozies" in here but that one takes the cake. What
> a stretch! ROFL!

My point was that if IBM can be sued for selling tabulation machines to the
Nazi's, it's the exact same thing as accepting and knowingly assisting in
the act of providing an OS that is used for violating human rights.

If you condemn IBM, then you must also condemn others that do the same
thing.