From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola?
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:33:00 -0500

Here's a courtesy copy to you, Mike.

Michael Vester wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> >
> > I'm just curious as to who is the most heavily killfiled person.
> >
> > Here's my list:
> >
> > Chad Meyers
> > Conrad Rutherford
> > G3
> > Jan Johanson
> >
> > -Ed
> >
> > --
> > Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
> > weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
> >         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
> >                                                           |eng.ox.ac.uk
>
> No one is in my kill file. This group is wonderful source of
> comedy. On one side, we have Linux advocates that use their
> real names and have real experience in the IT field. On the
> other hand, we have Windows advocates that are too ashamed to
> use their real names and have little or no IT knowledge beyond
> what Microsoft told them.
>
> Each and every poster is contributing something to the debate.
> I have watched the argument go from the apparent deficiencies
> of Linux (which was true years ago) to calling open source
> un-American or even worst, "communist." In an act of
> desperation, the big "C" word is bantered around. I though
> capitalism won many years ago,  The communists have an active
> political party here in Canada. The last election, I think
> they got about 500 votes from the entire country. Communism is
> out in the open and nobody cares.  Hardly a threat that needs
> to be guarded against. Communism is hardly a force that needs
> resistance. Who in their right mind would want to be
> communist? It is like a hetrosexual that is worried about
> becoming a homosexual.

Canada and the US are both more Communist than people are willing to admit:

Graduated income taxes
Universal tax-financed pension system
Death taxes
Property taxes (which changes property "ownership" at a fundamental
level.  When you purchase a piece of property...you do not REALLY
own it...you are merely purchasing the right to rent it from
the government).

> It has been very entertaining to watch the Windows advocates
> try in vain to discourage the growth of open source. I would
> regret missing a single post by the lovable Flatfish++++ or a
> well rehearsed sock puppet response from Chad.  Poor Destin
> Black has realized the futility of his position so he only
> posts in c.o.m.n.a. (I have seen him post there recently). I

I sent an e-mail to the chickenshit last week.

================ START OF DRESTIN's REPLY ============

================

> miss his Microsoft info-mercial URLs which he used to support
> his pro-Microsoft position.  I want to see some more spin on
> Allchin whining to the US government about open source. Come
> on you Windows advocates, make this look good for Microsoft.

When Drestin discovered that he couldn't claim ownership of the
ball, he took his took his stick and went home.

> I like many of the characters that post here. Despite Aaron's
> titanic sig., I appreciate his "in your face" opinions. Aaron

The only way to combat blatant liars is through harsh humiliation.

I would try reasoning with them...but...they already KNOW that
they are lying....so....I don't to buy the 'reason with them' game.

> backs up his opinions with a great deal of experience. I
> especially enjoy Aaron's spelling corrections, very witty and
> often invokes a good chuckle. And I share some of Aaron's
> values like "stand up and take responsibility of your own
> life." If I was an American, I would probably be a libertarian
> too.  Better that than a "Demoncrook" or a vengeful,
> vindictive Republican in awe of a president with a DUI. I am
> glad that Aaron is on the good side. I can't praise Rex
> Ballard enough for his insightful and detailed historical
> perspective.  Despite my 15 years of IT experience and my
> extensive education, I am just a newbie compared to Rex.
>
> Flatfish++++'s contributions are very important for Linux to
> take on the desktop environment. Flatfish++++ does a lot of
> work to botch up an easy install.  If the Linux distributions
> could make an installer that would be workable by a
> Flatfish++++, Linux would have a much bigger impact on the
> desktop. Keep up the good work Flatfish++++. I look forward to
> your next identity. I believe that Flatfish+++ is a girl (she
> said so). I encourage all women to take a bigger part in IT
> even as a Flatfish. Flatfish++++ is a real cute name but my
> favorite was Claire.
>
> Since I have a regular 40 hour work week (web application
> developer gratefully using Perl and C on a Solaris platform,
> proudly rehabilitated from the Windos world), I only have time
> to regularly read one newsgroup, I do other things besides
> play with computers. I choose this newsgroup to read and I
> want to see everyone's contributions. So I have no kill file
> entries.
>
> --
> Michael Vester
> A credible Linux advocate
>
> "The avalanche has started, it is
> too late for the pebbles to vote"
> Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 16:36:48 +1300

> > Perm bits, as agreed by anyone who has a basic understanding of
> > secure OS implementations, are kindergarten-level, and are insecure
> > by nature.
>
> What does this blather mean?

It basically translates to "Help me.  Put me out of my misery, I don't
understand what I'm discussing".

"Permission bits are insecure by nature", what a crock of shit.  He's
claiming every single implementation of permission bits out there has
gaping holes by their very design.  Which means that Mr Chad should be
able to bust open any unix webserver of his choice, due to their
substandard security.  Mmm-hm.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.windows.advocacy,comp.os.windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Portable Computering On The Cheap. (theory)
Date: 19 Feb 2001 03:37:06 GMT

SITUATION: You are forced to travel on business and you will be bored shitless
without a computer. What do you do?

If you have the money or the credit limit, you can buy a laptop. Then, you
load in the OS of your choice. It can be Linux, or a flavour of Windows, but
it doesn't really matter for the question.

If you don't have the money or the credit limit, you have a problem. This
means that you have to assemble parts of a computer to assemble on-site, and
you need a VGA2TV display converter. You will need a motherboard, the memory
cards, a video card as well as the VGA2TV device, a hard drive, and of course
a power supply. Prior to the liftoff on your mission, you need your OS of
choice installed on the hard drive of the system to be assembled on-site.

A fun item is the modem. For that item, you use an external model but for the
connection to the hotel room phone system, you need an account ona nationwide
ISP like Netcom and be prepared to use roach clip wires.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:38:11 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> He must be really stuck because electricity is generated using steam
> >> turbines.
> >>
> >> The first object recognisable as a steam turbine was proposed some time
> >> in the 1400's.
> >
> > Hero's engine was the first steam turbine....circa 100 BC.
> >
> > http://history.msfc.nasa.gov/rocketry/02.html
>
> I'm not sure if it counts as a turbine, because the steam doesn't hit any
> cond of impeller. I was refering to the steam turbine specifically, in
> case anyone got pedantic about powerstations being driven by turbines,
> not other engines.

Ok.

> -Ed
>
> --
> Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
> weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
>         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
>                                                           |eng.ox.ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:41:45 GMT

Joshua Stratton wrote:

> I've never really understood objections to the GPL. Assuming that you
> favor the existence of copyright at all, why would you be upset that
> someone is putting out software under such a license. It's their choice to
> do so, not yours. And it's your choice to accept. No one's making you
> accept or release software under that license.

INvariably the objections to the GPL come from those who want access to
the utility in GPLed code without being accountable.  I was following a
thread on borland.public.kylix.non-technical in which a couple of
posters were openly hostile to the GPL, using the standard "viral"
name-calling techniques.  Every one of them wanted to use some snippet
of somebody else's code without paying for it, but went into orbit when
informed that their code would, if they wanted to use it, also be
subject to the GPL.

If a person doesn't like the license the answer is simple.  Do not link
to it.  One can reverse engineer it or duplicate its functionality, but
the fact is that if one doesn't like the GPL and won't take part, s/he
is going to be reinventing a lot of wheels.

As to objections that Linux is GPLed, it's just too bad.  This is not
negotiable, and if someone writes for and around Linux he or she is knee
deep in that environment.  That's pretty much it.  Those who can't live
with that should write for BSD, Windows, Java, or something else without
these restrictions.  To those who cry that the other environments are
not as exciting or dynamic need to be reminded that one of the main
reasons Linux has become so exciting and dynamic is the GPL.

Personally, I have no argument with those who want to create proprietary
applications to run on Linux and charge money to do that.  The GPL isn't
nearly as successful in applications as it is in infrastructure.
Besides, many of the tools, e.g., GTK+ and gcc among others, are
licensed under the LGPL, which is much less restrictive.

--
Corruption is not the #1 priority of the Police Commissioner.  His job
is to enforce the law and fight crime.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:43:44 GMT

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:42:39 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Bob Hauck in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:45:04
>>On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:26:48 +0200, Ayende Rahien
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>My main development computer is a PIII-500 + 384MB
>>>I *still* try make everything I run be as efficent as possible.
>>
>>Efficiency is a goal that is relative to some criteria.  If you have a
>>fast network and a slow cpu, then it doesn't make sense to make the cpu
>>do a lot of work to optimize the network.
>
> In principle alone you might have a point, but in the real world there's
> no such thing as a CPU which could be "slow" in comparison to even the
> "fastest" network.

In the early 80's it was fairly common for a cpu to be unable to
saturate a 10 Mbit ethernet using TCP/IP.

> The plain truth is, there's nothing in the world that the CPU can do
> to "optimize" the network;

Sure it can.  As one example, the CPU can compress the data to reduce
the use of network bandwidth.  This is an example of trading computation
(which takes time) for bandwidth.  If you save enough transmission time
to pay for the compression, you win.  If not, compression is a net
performance loss.

>> The system as a whole will be faster if the cpu does less work and
>> the network more.  This was the situation with ethernet a decade ago.
>
>No, that was the situation with network *cards* a decade ago.

Whatever the reason, a typical cpu of the time could not fully utilize a
10 Mbit ethernet.  That's all I was saying.

> There is no hardware to offload what we call a network today, because
> it isn't the CPU that is the bottleneck.

I was writing about the situation two decades ago, not today.

>> Now that cpus are running at 1+ GHz, and most LAN's are still 100 Mbit
>> or less, the tradeoff may have changed.  That is perhaps why there are
>> various compression schemes for X.
>
> The compression schemes for X are because of its historical flexibility.
> It seriously isn't optimized; Ayende has a bit of a point, there.

What is "optimum" then?  It would seem to be relative to some criteria,
don't you think?  A thing that is optimum for one situation is not so
for another.

Two decades ago, the typical cpu couldn't fully utilize the network
bandwidth it had available, and if it did compression it would be even
worse off.  The time to do the compression was more than the time saved
by sending less.

That was my point, which seems to have completely escaped you.  Perhaps
I wasn't being clear.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:43:45 GMT

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:42:42 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In truth, ssh is telnet with encrypted passwords.

It is more like telnet, encrypted.  Everything sent over the ssh
connection is encrypted, not just the passwords.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Wy Linux will/is failing on the desktop
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:43:49 GMT

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 01:47:56 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Playing an MP3 is a trivial task....pushing 16-bit numbers at a rate
> of 44kHz is something even a low-end 386 machine should be able to
> handle SEVERAL TIMES OVER with ease.

It is the decoding of the file to get the numbers to play at 44 kHz that
the 386 can't do in real-time.

I see you got a new email address for your "From" line.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:43:50 GMT

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 07:19:01 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> About the only part of Cairo that was promised that never happened was
> the OO File system.

I don't remember anymore what exactly was promised.  It was "the next
big thing" and they never did release any actual product, just a bunch
of "technologies" that were incorporated into various things.

> The WPS always had an artificial feel to it for me.  It was probably
> the overhead that SOM introduced, but I found it sluggish and out of
> synch with the majority of apps that I used (most were written for
> OS/2 1.3 or VIO).

That's what I meant.  Some apps were WPS aware, others weren't.  That
was probably the worst thing about the WPS.  Don't know how they could
have fixed it though, as it was mostly a legacy issue.

> Windows 3.1 integration was anything but seamless.  Windows 95
> however, had truly seamless 16 bit support.

After Warp it was pretty seamless except for OLE.  At the time though, I
was writing DOS and Win3 apps and the separate session was the way to go
for debugging, so Win95 was really the wrong solution.  NT would have
been a good answer, had it been available when I needed it (and when it
was promised).

>> In any case, OS/2 was a much better OS than Win95, technically.  The GUI
>> is not why it failed to take over the world and it won't be the reason
>> Linux doesn't (if it doesn't).
>
>I disagree.  I think the GUI is what makes or breaks a graphical OS.

It would be nice to have a truly competitve market where we could test
this.  Be that as it may, OS/2 didn't fail because of the GUI.  It
failed because of IBM mismarketing coupled with the anti-competitive
actions of Microsoft.  Most OS/2 users point to the GUI as one of the
best features of OS/2.

>The key point is that it's a platform, and MS needs it to succeed in order
>to make Itanium work, and to reduce their development costs for the Mac.

Well, they need to change their marketing approach then if it is so
important.  They are really shooting themselves in the foot of late.

>Jim Allchin isn't trying to outlaw Open Source, he's trying to generate
>sympathy in congress and gain support for their appeal.

Why'd he bring it up then?  Why'd he say that MS needs to "do a better
job of educating" Congress about Open Source?

Jim put his foot in his mouth bigtime.  Everybody is laughing at him,
even the mainstream media.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:46:00 -0500

ono wrote:

> > It has been very entertaining to watch the Windows advocates
> > try in vain to discourage the growth of open source. I would
> What growth? linux 0%, windows 93%.
> See for yourself at: http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2001/February/os.html
>
> > regret missing a single post by the lovable Flatfish++++ or a
> > well rehearsed sock puppet response from Chad.  Poor Destin
> > Black has realized the futility of his position so he only
> > posts in c.o.m.n.a. (I have seen him post there recently). I
> > miss his Microsoft info-mercial URLs which he used to support
> > his pro-Microsoft position.  I want to see some more spin on
> > Allchin whining to the US government about open source. Come
> > on you Windows advocates, make this look good for Microsoft.

Why don't you devote another 1000 USENET posts devoted to telling
us how insignificant you thinkg LINUX is.

It will be very amusing.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:50:06 -0500

Nigel wrote:

> > Isn't there an upper size for the Registry, beyond which the whole pack
> > of cards comes tumbling down.
> >
> > Exacerbated by left over entrails of installed/deinstalled apps.
> >

> Anyonr else notice that the .DAT files used by the registry grow everytime
> an application is installed but never shrink when uninstalling.
>
> At work I regularly install new test builds of our own software and the
> only way I can keep the system from coming crashing down is to export
> the registry, restart in dos mode then use regedit on commandline to
> rebuild new registry from exported file - the new registry is often as
> small as a quarter of the size of previous one and some programs
> which stopped  working before re-creating registry suddenly start
> to work again.

EXCELLANT observation, Nigel.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 22:51:09 -0500

mlw wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> > Compared to who...that great intellectual, Teddy Kennedy....
> >
> > [At least Bush never drove a car off a bridge, let alone waiting HOURS
> > to tell the police that his girlfriend was trapped in the vehicle under
> > 15 feet of water].
>
> Now what makes you think I would defend Ted? The fact that Ted has a
> reprehensible history has no connection with the fact that GW is an idiot. They
> can both be true.

Just noting the hypocrisy of the Demoncrook party, that's all.

> --
> http://www.mohawksoft.com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.