From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:09:17 -0500

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >So it seems your goal is to be as dishonest as you can get away with
> >without lying.  How pathetic.
>
> Reminds me of a Star Trek movie.
>
> 1st speaker: A lie?
> 2nd speaker: An exaggeration.

Either way, you DELIBERATELY post mis-representations.

Translation: You're a goddamned LIAR Pete, and you know it.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Subject: Re: The Wintrolls
Date: 20 Feb 2001 01:10:34 GMT

Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Joseph wrote:
: >
: > Deepak Chandrashekar wrote:
: >
: > > I think this thread is 100% pure unadultrated bullshit.
: > > Everyone knows that Windowzblowz is complete crap
: > > when it comes to robustness and uptime !!
: > >
: > > So if is for such apps. then go get Linux/Unix or something.
: > > Else, if u want to use some "kiddie" application such as MS-Word
: > > then .......
: > >
: > >
: > > ---------------------------->>>>>
: > > I dont want to pay  M$ Tax
: > > <<<<<---------------------------
: > >
: > >               Deepak
: > >
: > >
: > >
: > Kiddie application? Although there are many applications that are of
: > questionable quality on Windows, Word is not one of them. Word is one of
: > the best "office" word processing applications in the market. By office I

: As long as you don't use it for a 50-page document.
: Then, the toy-like core begins to emerge.

Actually, I go nuts when I use it to type even one sentence.  Too much bull
shit, I feel like I'm treated like a child.  Also, it's auto-everything annoys.
Also, it's obsession with fonts really bugs me.  I just want to type, who give
a shit about fonts?  I put all that in later w/ a template, whoever wants the
article is deciding all the layout.  I just make a .sty file and go from there,
in word you have to do the same thing each time. I know, I know there are style
sheets or something, but nobody I see using word uses them. Also, the .doc format
is criminal in that you never know if your paper will look the same on diff.
computers.  Finally, if I can get a professional, yes professional, in that
it's used to make books, for free, then I'll use that.  I heard word breaks
for books, don't know, not willing to pay a couple hundred bucks to find out.
Then you are forced with shitty keybindings which are made to be inefficient-er
"user friendly".

Abi-word does all the above.  I think that the whole wysiwyg is a dead-end, a
failed experiment.  Most people like it b/c, 1. they learned it all ready,
2. they don't see the value in thinking abstractly.  Poor souls.

: > mean common everyday business document creation not special purpose
: > scientific or engineering documents which may require special notations.
: > Using this requirement yardstick MS-Word far exceed anything in the market
: > in terms of ease of use and functionality. Think about office documents.
: > What are actually needed? Maybe some nice fonts, bulleted lists, mail
: > merge, simple formating such as bolding, italics or underlining...
: > All these tasks are all easily done on Word.

: MS-Word is *adequate* for 10-page documents.

: But if you're writing up the corporate stockholder's report, you
: better use something that doesn't choke on a piddly 50 pages.

Actually a lot of really imporatant stuff is in this format.  Most people don't
think that they have choices.  maybe this is the reason that an MS official
hinted that perhaps open-source should be legislated against.  He also hinted,
that the "American way' means you can't give your ideas away.  If this is true,
it's not, I'd be sorry to be an american.  Instead, I'm proud.  I'll be
prouder when courts uphold the gnu liscence and also state that software is
like speech.  I'd like to see them try to stop open source, I think it would
be so hard, they'd radicalize many people and get many more followers.
Anyway, I liked how MS sounded so hysterical, lying badly, saying that open-
source kills innovation while actually being a member of one of the most
innovation destroying corps of all time.  Hell, they ripped off Mac OS again.
How frikin' lame?  I saw features from mac OS 9, a decided joke.  If XP
needs to rip off a shitty os, how good can it be?

stay free,

Fred

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:12:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

As I was saying.  To force the REPUBLICAN TO BUY A LICENSE
for every copy of Microsoft Windows installed on every machine
would be ALIEN and UNKNOWN to him!

It would be as alien as not having prayer in schools!
It would be as alien as not being able to buy a gun!
It would be as alien as anybody who's not a christian!

And then there is AK.

>Fuck that.
>
>the only fair taxes are sales taxes and "head taxes"
>
>Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
>who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
>paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
>this situation.
>
>Head tax...*EVERY* able-bodied adult should pay a minimum, across-the-board
>tax.  NO EXCEPTIONS.
>
>Oh, and no deductions for having kids....we should NOT be subsidizing what
>people are going to do anyways;
>and if you can't afford kids, then DON'T HAVE THEM  (Reliable Birth control
>has been available for decades now).

It would be as alien to them as preaching Birth Control!
GOD SAVE YOUR SOUL AK.....

If we can't steal copyrighted Windows then must we practice birth control
too Mr. AK.  I'm positive the planet can contain 10 billion people.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:13:30 -0500

mlw wrote:

>was

> > > How about this, GW is an idiot in and of himself, which has nothing to do with
> > > President Clinton.
> >
> > Hasn't sold nuclear warhead plans to people threatening to level Los Angleles.
> >
> > Or is that considered a "smart move" for a Rhodes Scholar?
>
> AFAIK he has never sold "warheads" there are some issues with technology for
> rockets, but no one has ever claimed he has sold warheads.

You are soooooooo fucking naive.

The Senete Armed Services Committee held hearings about the
security breaches at Los Alomos.

The DIRECTOR of the Department of Energy said UNDER OATH that
the counter-espionage security at Los Alomos and other facility
was rolled back DUE TO AN EXECUTIVE ORDER SIGNED BY CLINTON
HIMSELF.

This was DURING THE 1996 PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN.

FACE IT...KLINTON IS A GODDAMNED TRAITOR WHO SHOULD BE SHOT
BY A JOINT SERVICES FIRING SQUAD-- 2 representatives from each
service....so that no matter which guy gets the dummy round,
A representative of EVERY service will have put at least one
bullet into his loathsome hide.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:02:07 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> : That's why Materialism is hopelessly flawed. We all know that JFK
> : was shot, but can't repeat the experiment. How do we go about
> : proving a historical event.

> WTF does that have to do with materialism?

Materialism claims that nothing can be known but from observation
of the 5 senses.

I'm arguing that there are other ways to know something. In this
case the historical record.

The event can not be repeated, but can be known.

- Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- http://www.fred.net/surenko/

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:08:46 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Robert Surenko wrote:

>> That's why Materialism is hopelessly flawed. We all know that JFK
>> was shot, but can't repeat the experiment. How do we go about
>> proving a historical event.

> Zapruder film.
> Autopsy.
> Funeral.

> Case closed.

Ah, so there are other ways than direct observation and
repeateable experimental results to "know" something?

Good, we are getting somewhere.

So, we both have faith in the historical record?

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:16:16 -0500

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > ZnU wrote:

> > > [snip]

> > > Yeah, and freedom is slavery, war is peace, and ketchup is a
> > > vegetable.
> > >

> > For nutrition purposes, ketchup is a vegetable...unless they've
> > stopped using the manufacturers have stopped using tomato as the
> > primary (95%+) ingredient in favor of dog feces.
>
> Technically tomatoes are a fruit (although the FDA doesn't agree), and
> once the poor things have been processed into ketchup, they're devoid of
> all nutritional value. The joke is, of course, the Reagan tried to pass
> ketchup off as a vegetable in the context of funding of school lunch
> programs.

1) No, it wasn't Reagan....it was a bureacrat
2) Read the back of a bottle of ketchup sometime.
        a) Minerals don't break down under normal canning temps
        b) Most vitamins are more EASILY utilized by the body
                AFTER heating to canning temps.

> --
> This universe shipped by weight, not volume.  Some expansion may have
> occurred during shipment.
>
> ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:17:02 -0500

Ziya Oz wrote:

> Edwin wrote:
>
> >> Software that comes unattached, without conditions, strings and
> >> dependencies...as in "free" and not GPLed.
> >
> > You're thinking of Public Domain Software.
>
> No, I'm thinking of "free" software, as I described it. It's the GPL zealots
> who pollute the language with their double speak. Why should we let them
> decide what "free" is?

Free: unencumbered; having liberty.

Where's the double speak?

> ****
> Ziya

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Yum! A new laptop screen, i thinks ill fry it!
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:17:43 -0500

Nigel wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

> > > She must be as thick as shit if she goes out with an obnoxious cunt
> like
> > > you
> > > Maybe you 'pay' her to be your gf with your high hourly rate
> >
> > Only if you consider sex to be a way of paying her.
>
> No - he's paying her for sex, she's the local hooker.

You write like a jealous man
why is that?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 01:18:09 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> : My comments where not being used as a proof. I am bored by Materialist
> : because their phylosophy is so easily shown to be false.

> Nobody's done it yet.  WTF are you talking about?

Well, I'm trying to keep track of 3 or 4 threads but I'll give it a shot.

Materialism is beleiving only in what the 5 senses show you.
Things are either objective or subjective.

Rocks, houses and computers are objects. I like to read because
of complex chemical reactions. The I thing doesn't really exist.

But, what is quality, or ethics or value?

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:18:37 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>>>

> >>I agree, so what. I'm saying that Science depends on faith.
>
> >       That the universe works in a predictable fashion is not
> >       an article of faith. It is an axiom that is time tested.
>
> Study physics... The universe does not work in a predictable fashion.
> That stuff ent out with Newton.

No...Newton's laws are predictable.

It was Bohr and Heisenberg who brought in unpredictability

> Axiom is "self-evident" truth. Most thinks have found great profit
> by challenging them.
>
> > [deletia]
>
> >       You can choose to violate the rules and prove us wrong
> >       in the process. Somehow, I suspect that you will choose
> >       not to for your own survival.
>
> What rules? Are you asking me to bow to Science again?
>
> >       If you really believe the blather your spewing, you have
> >       the easy position in terms of proof or disproof.
>
> Are you slow? I have asked for proof that the Scientic Method
> can lead to "Truth"
>
> Since you argue like a school boy on the playground I'll decend
> to your level.
>
> I asked for proof first...Na na na na na!

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would Linux be invented if?
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:19:06 -0500

Adam Warner wrote:

> Hi J Sloan,

> > > That is sort of ironic when you think about it, considering Linus is
> > > atheist.
> >
> > Is this true? I hadn't heard.
> >
> > Well, in any case, it would not be the first time
> > an atheist played a key role in a divine plan.
>
> <grin>
>
> http://www.celebatheists.com/entries/linus_torvalds.html
>
> After the theological discussion that raged for days in here I an hesitant
> to quote that Linus appears to see himself as both agnostic and atheistic!

mutually exclusive.

> There's enough material here for the Christian Right in America to have a
> field day.
>
> Regards,
> Adam

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: 20 Feb 2001 01:21:17 GMT

. ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: > Actually, a recent independent study (again, quoted by Microsoft Press Corp,
: > but still independently proven) has indicated that Microsoft's Win2k servers
: > can regularly incur up-time in the '5 9's' range.  99.999%.

: Do you have a link for that?  Because that's *just* over 5 minutes a
: year, and for all the bleating MS does, I've never talked to a 2k admin
: (that I trust not to lie...  newsgroups? ha!) that would claim they only
: need to reboot their machine once or twice a year.

I'm sure a Linux LAN server could achieve that uptime, but not a Windows * OS.
For a Windows server to achieve that uptime, the machine will need a LOT of
memory for the inevitable memory leaks that eventually crash it. Cheap
motherboards now can take up to a gigabyte of memory, sold separately of
course. I don't know if a gig would delay the BSOD long enough to allow only
annual booting. Has anyone yet attempted to assemble such a machine to test
the theory?

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.