From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .NET is plain .NUTS
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:54:24 GMT

Said Jim Cason in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 18 Feb 2001 06:01:15
>Thank you for pointing out that there are companies who take care of their
>licensing the correct way. For those that dont, they should be fined. Its
>just like stealing anything else.

Regardless of what else might be said, I'll say it, if nobody else will:

No, its not.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:54:25 GMT

Said Peter Hayes in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:39:43
>On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 12:47:02 GMT, imekon@$$$REMOVE$$$.freeuk.com (Pete
>Goodwin) wrote:
>
>> T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>
>> >Augh...AUGGHGHGH!
>> >
>> >Haven't we been through this enough?
>> >
>> >His computer fucked up, OK?  His *LINUX* computer FUCKED UP.  "The Gimp"
>> >uses some bizarre "printer string", and he didn't get what he expected,
>> >simply because he presumed that the print job would get kicked out, same
>> >as the others did.  And it didn't because he didn't know what he was
>> >doing, and Linux isn't as "everything works the same" as brain-dead
>> >Windows, OK?!?
>>
>> This is completely incorrect.
>>
>> I made a reasonable assumption that does not hold with The Gimp on Linux.
>> That's has nothing to do with "brain dead" Windows.
>
>FWIW, Pete, I agree with you on this occasion. You made the same reasonable
>assumption that I would make, and that most people would make. It's these
>little inconsistancies that are slowing down Linux's acceptance as a viable
>alternative to M$ Windows.

No, its the fact you can't have a 'viable alternative' to a monopoly
that is slowing down Linux's acceptance.

>How many other apps are like The Gimp and spit out garbage until they're
>individually configured?

Not "individually configured".  "Used correctly".  There is a
difference.

>Who knows, only trial and error will tell, I
>guess.

I expect several billion dollars in capital will be more fruitful in
this regard.

   [...]
>> >Perhaps MacOS X, or whatever its called now, will bring the Macintosh
>> >look and feel, ripped so long ago by Microsoft, to the Linux world.
>
>Augh...AUGGHGHGH!  GOD NO!!!!!!!!

Well, it is what you asked for: applications that cannot be individually
[mis]configured, and all work exactly the same even though they come
from different sources.

>> >Then we'll be in heaven, eh?  But to be honest, I'm sick of hearing
>> >about Pete's problem printing.
>>
>> I'm sick of your misrepresentations.
>>
>> Twisting it all to fit the facts you want again, eh?
>
>And before you slag me off as a rabid Microserf as well, Max, I've no love
>of Gates and his cronies. But printing under Linux is a disaster and has
>been since the days of RedHat 4.1 and Slackware 3 at least, also something
>called Linux FT that I tried years ago. It didn't matter then, but if Linux
>is to replace Windows as the desktop of the future, then it *does* matter
>now.

Printing under Unix has always been more of a configuration burden than
printing under the Mac or Windows.  I will agree whole-heartedly with
you on that.  It is intricate and comprehensive, robust enough to run
professional systems and scalable enough to have effectively no size
limits.  I expect a lot of development dollars will be available for
making 'PC level' tools for doing it easy, but its not really at all
hard, if you understand how it works.

The reason Pete Goodwin's assumption was unreasonable was because he
presumed that he knew how it worked, when he didn't, simply because he
knows how Windows' works.  Effectively, he made the same mistake as
selecting the wrong printer, though he didn't know that due to his
unfamiliarity with Gimp.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:54:27 GMT

Said Charlie Ebert in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 19 Feb 2001
   [...]
>What is *THIS* fucking bullcrap about Chad?
>
>Why?

Because he is a troll who, for reasons mysterious to the rest of us,
finds validation in being replied to, regardless of what the reply is or
what things he has to say, be they facts, inflammatory opinions,
misrepresentations, or outright lies, in order to get it.

From: "Karel Jansens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux web pads?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:13:42 -0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Matthias Warkus"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It was the Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:04:00 -0100...
> ...and Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [Linux-powered Web pads]
>
> Your impression seems to be that nearly all marketed Web pads run
> Windows. Mine was that Linux is the preferred platform, as I've seen at
> least two or three articles about different Web pads all running on
> Linux with some modified browser on top.

I can only say that I haven't come across any. My exposure to printed
computer mags has become somewhat limited these days, though (basically
only Linux Journal and Linux Format, the latter because of the way cool
cover CDs).

>> Wouldn't this look nice for the Home of the Future: the desktop is a
>> very beefy machine, linked to the Net via cable or ADSL, but without
>> screen, keyboard, sound- or graphics card (saving all that money for
>> RAM and storage!), and every member of the household has her/his own
>> pad, hooked up to the home server via wireless LAN, ready to run
>> whatever app they have installed on the server.
>
> This might look nice, but it'd be an ergonomic disaster. Decent-sized
> keyboards, reasonable mice, screens that you don't need to hold in your
> hands to keep them at the right viewing angle etc. -- all that would be
> gone.

I beg to differ.

An ASCII-piano can easily be plugged in when needed (just add a PS/2 port
for QWERTY's sake <G>); a mouse is IMHO an abysmal replacement for a
decent touch-screen (I agree that a touch-screen is an ergonomic horror
when applied to a vertically-orientated monitor, but you can put a LinPad
<TM> flat on your desk; and I believe that the days when LCD screens could
only be looked at with your head in a vice are somewhat passe: a modern
TFT screen has almost the same viewing angle as a CRT monitor, and is a
lot easier to reposition when needed.

Now, don't get me wrong: a lot of people will always feel more at ease
sitting behind a 28' monitor, with a trusted keyboard and a mouse they can
shuffle around; and that's perfectly fine by me. But I (and I know several
people who happen to agree with me) like to take my work around with me;
only, when doing this at home, it seems a bit odd to have to lug a
notebook around when I have a perfectly good PC sitting on a desk. So why
not have the best of both: a powerful PC with broadband Internet access
and oodles of hardware goodies, but with a display I can tuck under my arm
and take with me in the back yard?

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
==============================
"Go go gadget linux." Zoomm!
==============================

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:22:11 GMT

Robert Surenko writes:
> I agree, however, you are using deductive reasoning to gain insight, not
> the Scientific Method.

So what?

> My question to a Materialist is How do we know that a Historical event
> happen when it's belief could simply be a rush of hormones?

My question to a spiritualist is "How do we know that a historical event
happened when it's belief could simply be a miracle?"
--
John Hasler
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who is the most heavily killfiled person on cola?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:19:17 +0800

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:96ril6$pbn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> and have little or no IT knowledge beyond what Microsoft told them.
> >
> > No.
> >
> > I've probably used more computers (way back in the TRS-80, TI 99-4a,
> > Commodore Vic-20,64, Amiga, Atari 800/ST days) than most here.  I've
> > programmed almost every language there is (my favorites are assembler
>
> That shows that you are either a genius of not as smart as you make out.

I'll choose genius then.  :)

> There are a quite frankly huge number of languages. Out of curiosity,
> what is your favourite functional language (I'm just getting in to
> Haskell)?
> Ans which do you prefer, forth or postscript?

I guess I'd have to say forth... but they are quite different... don't you
think?  Sheesh... I remember doing forth way back when... once I learned C,
all other languages (except lisp) lost my interest.

> > and C), I've even programmed a device driver (for OS/2) and created my
> > own sound card.
>
> Fair enough.
>

> > Also, I've used HP-UX extensively.  The fact that I like Windows 2000 is
> > because it is a great OS whether or not Linux advocates believe it is or
> > not.
>
> > Please don't generalize about Windows users, it makes you look foolish.
>
> Before you say this, take a long look at the majority of WinTrolls on
> this ng.

Please remember, this is .advocacy.  It is not a representation of reality.

> >> I would regret missing a single post by the lovable Flatfish++++ or a
> >> well rehearsed sock puppet response from Chad.  Poor Destin Black has
> >> realized the futility of his position so he only posts in c.o.m.n.a. (I
> >> have seen him post there recently). I miss his Microsoft info-mercial
> >> URLs which he used to support his pro-Microsoft position.  I want to
> >> see some more spin on Allchin whining to the US government about open
> >> source. Come on you Windows advocates, make this look good for
> >> Microsoft.
> >
> > Microsoft makes good products.  Windows 2000, Allegiance, Age of Empires
>
> Win2K being good is debatable. The 160 day uptime is nothing to shout
> about

I believe with a good admin. that number could be longer.  Wasn't that an
average and not the maximum anyway?

> and I personally find the GUI and CLI clunky and inelegant. But
> those are just opinons.
>
> As for age of empires, there is only one true RTS, and it has tanks :)

Heh.  You wouldn't be refering to StarCraft??  Another great game that is.
However, Age rocks too...

> > have all received excellent award by various magazines...  Allegiance
> > rocks too...
>
> I never pay too much attention to magazines alone. They all have strong
> biases.

Yet they specialize in what they are all about.  If the premier game
magazine says a game rocks, you can bet that the game is OK at least...  I
have found that they are mostly right.  (Sometimes I don't entirely agree
thought).

However, MS games (or game published by then) pretty much rock.  I've had
excellent success with Allegiance and AOE.  Never crashed... I think an OS
should be modeled after Allegiance the way patches are applied.

> >> Flatfish++++'s contributions are very important for Linux to take on
> >> the desktop environment. Flatfish++++ does a lot of work to botch up an
> >> easy install.
> >
> > RedHat 7.0 doesn't install nearly as easily as Windows 2000... I am
> > still trying to get my ethernet card to work, and my soundblaster live
> > was not even detected.  (Still haven't got that running either).
>

> So I can tell you stories about flawless RH installs (ie every one I've
> done) and Windows installs that haven't worked properly.

Hmmmm...  I have very standard hardware and RH installs poorly compared to
even NT!  PNP on 2000 simply rocks... no doubt about it.  I plug in my
scanner and it is recognized, driver installed, and assigned to a graphics
program.  I plug in my digital camera and the picture indexes are displayed
all automatically... nothing happens whatsoever on Linux when I do the same
thing.

> >> Since I have a regular 40 hour work week (web application developer
> >> gratefully using Perl and C on a Solaris platform, proudly
> >> rehabilitated from the Windos world), I only have time to regularly
> >> read one newsgroup, I do other things besides play with computers. I
> >> choose this newsgroup to read and I want to see everyone's
> >> contributions. So I have no kill file entries.
> >
> > You would if Tholen was in this group... don't ask... :)
>
> He does come to this group once in a while from a cross post. I like
> `debating' with him to see how long I can keep it up. This time, I out
> tholed him.

Heh... I think all of those 'posts' detracts from the group.  Check out
comp.os.os2.advocacy... a real pain he is.  Never debates the issues.  Just
continuous war on words.

This newgroup at least has intelligent people from both sides.

-Todd

------------------------------

From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:20:04 +0800

"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Todd wrote:
> >
> > "Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Rosten

|eng.ox.ac.uk
> > >
> > > No one is in my kill file. This group is wonderful source of
> > > comedy. On one side, we have Linux advocates that use their
> > > real names and have real experience in the IT field.
> >
> > Yah right.
> >
> > > On the
> > > other hand, we have Windows advocates that are too ashamed to
> > > use their real names
> >
> > I use my real name.
> >

> So, is "somebody.is.watching.you" your first or last name?

Heh... I think I was a little tipsy when I made that up...  :)

-Todd

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:32:27 -0500

Ian Davey wrote:

> >> Doubt it.
> >
> >Before I made up the .sig, I was wasting time, (and bandwidth)
> >on refuting 50-100 flames /day.
> >
> >fuck that.
> >

> It may already have achieved its purpose though, so why not start dropping
> them off one by one at random, and only maintain ones that keep popping up?
> You can always add a link to an archive of the ones that have been removed.
>
> Or randomly generate your .sig so it has only one or two entries at a time.
>
> A lot of these people are probably long gone and you're the only one keeping
> their memory alive.
>
> And to be consistant, you've also misspelled Lose95 in your newsreader header.

That would ruin the camauflage.

> ian.
>
>  \ /
> (@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
> /(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
>  | |

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:33:10 GMT

Said nuxx in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:53:28 +0800;
>"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> nuxx wrote:
>> > Wrong.  I have a production NT4 database server that has been up for
>over 6
>> > months and counting.  There are no memory leaks in the kernel.
>>
>> Microsoft funded tests prove that this is either incorrect or very lucky.
>> --
>> http://www.mohawksoft.com
>
>No luck about it.  If you apply datacentre type methodologies in design and
>change control as you would with any Unix server, NT is very reliable.

...if you get lucky.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:35:12 -0500

Nick Condon wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron Kulkis) wrote:
> >Peter Hayes wrote:
> >> Unlike the UK where you get 2 years in jail if you don't provide the
> >> most fascist government in decades (if ever, and that includes
> >> Thatcher)  with
> >
> >Leftist socialism is merely fascism in disguise.
> >
> >That's what you get for electing the Labour party.
>
> I can't remember the last time anyone accused the Labour party of being
> socialist. It used to be a point of pride, they regarded themselves as
> socialists, but then quietly dropped it.
>
> Note for USians: The British usage of "socialist" roughly translates to
> "liberal" in American English, rather than the American usage which implies
> something very similar to "communist".

American liberals ARE communists (only too chicken shit to admit it.)

> --
> Nick

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:36:41 +0000

> This returns to the idea of a written constitution with enumerated
> rights that are not subject to simple majority rule.

Except the constitution can be changed by amendments. It has been changed
for the better, sure but it could be changed for the worse too. I think,
on the whole a constitution is a god thing to have.

>>> Those laws will not protect you from getting shot.
>>
>>Yes they will. If there are less guns in circulation, I have less chance
>>of getting shot.
>
> The UK has seen gun crime go up since the laws passed. The guns used by

The origional laws were paseed about 100 years ago (or more), and as a
result the majority of people have never owned a gun. The recent laws
passed have had a neglible effect on the total number of guns in
circulation. As a result of low gun ownership overall, gun crime in the
UK is low.

> criminals are generally smuggled in. Disarming the sport shooters had,
> unsurpisingly, no effect on smuggling or gun crime.

No, but disarming the population as a whole has had a very big effect.

> And, uh, let's see, if everyone used the BSD license model gun crime
> would go down.

Advocacy groups are noted for very rarely, if ever going off topic.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Markus Friedl)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Date: 20 Feb 2001 21:36:25 GMT

In <4vdk6.41068$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Why do not answer these claims? You dismiss them out of hand, but do not
>answer the general problem.

it's not possible to answer your claims because the lack evidence.
-m