From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:57:23 -0500

Peter Köhlmann wrote:

> John Rudd wrote:
> >
> > If you want to just admit that you're being rude, no problem.  But don't
> > try to shift the issue on to the reader.  Own up to your being rude and
> > arrogant.
> >

> Well spoken.
> And i am very sure, that asshole A R Kulkis will just ignore it or come
> back with this shitty explanation, that then he will be stalked again by
> those guys he has in his SIG.

Why do you think I wrote it in the first place?

> IF they do, one has to ask who is to blame?
> I think this asshole Kulkis is just an oxygene thief.

Peter, I'm stealing your oxygen right now.

> --
> The sticker on the side of the box said "Supported Platforms: Win 95,
> Win NT 4.0 or better", so clearly Linux was a supported platform.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Who said NT was stable !
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:20:37 -0000

Had an interesting problem yesterday, I tried to load an Excel spreadsheet
from a floppy which appeared to be corrupt. Every time I tried to load it,
the entire machine dumped out !
Would you take this seriously as an operating system in a critical
enviroment when it can't even cope with a dodgy floppy disk (and no, there
was no virus on it).
This isn't the first time this has happened and I doubt it will be the last
but if they can't even correct bugs like this I'm not surprised most
internet servers use Linux!

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:09:02 -0800
From: John Rudd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Try the 'N' key and see what happens.
>
> Nothing. And why should I need to change how I read news just for your
> sake?

Exactly.  Netiquette places the burden, in this case, upon the poster
and not the reader.

> Are you now being deliberately obnoxious? You've just posted a string of
> one line posts with your 38 line .sig.

Not to mention the lack of quote trimming.

--
John "kzin" Rudd                       http://www.domain.org/users/kzin
Truth decays into beauty, while beauty soon becomes merely charm. Charm

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:12:32 GMT

ZnU wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > ZnU wrote:

> > > It's annoying to scroll through, and my newsreader doesn't
> > > recognize it as a .sig due to excessive length, so I have to snip
> > > it out manually in replies.
> >
> > Here's a clue...when you see this:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis
> >  Unix Systems Engineer"
> >
> > stop reading.
>
> My newsreader allows me to page through messages by hitting the
> spacebar. With your messages, I need to hit it an extra 2-3 times to
> scroll through your .sig.

Okay, here's the workaround.  Please follow this carefully as it's kind
of technical.

Just put your left pinky on the "N" key (that's the one between "M" and
"B") and your thumby on the space bar.  Keep pressing the space bar
until you see this message:

When you see that, press the "N" key with your pinky.

Remember, practice makes perfect!

--
A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe
in God.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: 21 Feb 2001 01:13:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: While NCSA's Green thinks individual interest in OSCAR may be limited
: at the moment, she points to her organization's development in 1993 of
: Mosaic, an early Web browser that introduced the Internet to a general
: audience. OSCAR could do the same for supercomputing.

Home supercomputers? Cool! One could be made cheaply enough, with some
creativity with the enclosure, sort of like my description of a computer in
the "Portable computering on the cheap" thread. A two-mainboard setup would be
the easiest for the supercomputing newbie of course. You get duplicate
motherboards, the fastest you can afford, two duplicate CPUs, also good fast
ones, and LOTS of memory, two fast network cards and two hard drives.
Assemble.

For the OS, you can presently use Linux Extreme or if you have to cobble the
money together anyways, wait for OSCAR. While the two-motherboard setup
wouldn't hardly be a supercomputer by modern standards, it would make a nice
toy "supercomputer". If you are affluent and handy enough for the enclosure,
you could build yourself a cost-effective but pretty capable computer system.

A full tower case is pretty roomy inside, and can surely house two
motherboards as well as lots of hard drives, albeit with minimalist
peripherals . But multimedia goodies are not going to be a concern for a
server builder, mad scientist, prime number figurer, etc.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Allchin backtracks, now likes open source
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:37:05 +1300

Hi all,

I found the URL:
http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2687872,00.html

Adam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: 21 Feb 2001 01:55:07 GMT

In article <f8Ek6.46570$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I never claimed I did. I just want someone to answer for why there
> are so many vulnerabilities in SSH. I never claimed I was an expert,
> I was merely citing other experts.

And when the situation was explained you apologised for the misunderstanding
and went on to other things, right? Well, that's what *should* have happened,
in a perfect world. It's still not too late.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:08:22 GMT

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Tim Hanson wrote:
> >
> > Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> > > Na... full broadsides of 16-inch High Explosive rounds are more fun.
> > >

> > Alas, the battleships are no longer here.  All that's left are the Carl
>
> I believe that two of them have not been decommissioned yet...just
> put back into the mothball fleet.
>
> > Vinson, Independence, and Ranger here, and the Abraham Lincoln in
> > Everett.  We'll just have to struggle through with air strikes.
> >

> It's too bad.  Naval Artillery is a relatively cheap way to support
> any Marines who need to establish a beachhead.

By "here" I meant the Bremerton shipyard.  After the Gulf War both were
moored at Bremerton, awaiting their final disposition.

The Wisconsin is in Norfolk as a tourist attraction:

http://www.channel2000.com/sh/news/stories/nat-news-20001205-173001.html

The Iowa is leaving Newport RI on March 3rd for San Francisco, where it
will be a floating museum.

http://www.ussiowa.org/newport_ceremony.htm
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/09/08/MN101362.DTL

The New Jersey, the most decorated in battleship history is, as far as I
can tell, still in Philadelphia waiting for the decision where on the NJ
coast to put her.

http://www.bb62museum.org/photos.html (Great pictures!)
Imagine being shaken out of bed some morning to this!
http://www.bb62museum.org/images/g435681.jpg

Of course, the Missouri, upon which the Japanese surrender was signed,
is moored across from the Arizona at Pearl Harbor.

http://www.ussmissouri.com/

Here's the Missouri and New Jersey in mothballs at Bremerton.

http://www.bb62museum.org/images/mojersy.jpg

Quite a history.  There are currently no battleships in the active
fleet.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: How much do you *NEED*?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:14:58 GMT

How many more examples are going to have to appear and go by to
convince you that Linux is the right choice for your business
and personal needs?

If your a Windows user you face the following things.

#1.  You have to pay for your software.
     The price of your software is going up all the time.
#2.  Your Windows OS is unreliable.
     You can break Windows by installing a driver which
     isn't ready for prime time.  Or how about just
     running your favorite app for too long a period of time.
     Just forgetting to reboot your machine every couple of days
     will cause it to crash.  And your paying for this insult
     to your intelligence..  That is a shame.
#3.  If your a developer for Windows, you end up having to join
     the Microsoft Slave trade.  You have to certify and then
     re-certify for your certificate every time Windows comes
     out with a new OS or new application.  Microsoft can
     DEEM your re-certification at *THEIR* whim!  And *YOU* have
     to *PAY* or loose your certification.  And even if you *PAY*
     and you *PASS* you can still be denyed your certification
     as Microsoft has the final right to revoke it without reason
     or cause.
#4.  Viruses in the form of VB scripts non-the-less!  Isn't it
     amazing that Microsoft Windows has been sucessfully attacked
     by over 100 different types of VB script viruses sent in thru
     E-mails and *YET TODAY* Microsoft Corp has yet to admit a fix
     needs to be installed to help prevent the damage.  They haven't
     even admitted it's a problem!  How incredible.  And your the
     stupid shit who's forking out the bucks for *THEIR* system...
#5.  .NET ---  .NET means that every peice of software you install
     on your machine from here on out will be reported and enabled
     via Microsoft HQ.  They will know everything you know on your
     machine with Windows XP and beyond.  I don't know a soul in
     North America who hasn't stolen Microsoft Applications at
     one time or another.  Some people have many stolen Microsoft
     Applications they borrowed from a freind, school pals, rich
     business millionaires who are too cheap to pay for licenses...
     All these kind people will end up getting a dick rammed up
     their butts so hard it will just make their heads pop off.
     What an incredible assfucking/jail time scenerio they are
     all headed for.  This is worse than cop killer rap.
#6.  Your OS is totally insecure.  If communist Chineese can
     steal all the source code from Microsoft HQ in Redmond,
     right under their fucking noses, then why on earth do
     you think your checkbook is safe?  I mean, they stole
     code from Microsoft for 4-6 weeks and were never discovered.
     This is because Microsoft Windows Security is so lame, hacking
     it is like stealing candy from a baby.  I hear people boast
     about how secure Windows products are every day.  I'd like
     to say that they are all dumbasses and don't know their asshole
     from a hole in the ground.
     Explain Why Redmond got ripped off for over a month and nobody
     heard a single alarm bell go off?  Microsoft HQ in Redmond...
     Why....  Do you think your better then they are?  If you are
     why aren't you writing a fucking OS?

Linux is the exact opposite.  It's GPL'd so you can copy those CD's on every
machine you have including work without fear of being thrown in some prison
and owning somebody a 1/4 million dollars in fines.  It's uptimes have
been measured in years not days.  When an application dies in Linux the OS
doesn't crash, just the application.  Linux will run on hardware sucessfully
and for long durations where Windows 2000 can't even get installed.  Linux
is an extremely secure OS with patches for known security problems released
in timely fashions, ususally well within 2 weeks of being reported.

You do not have to pay dues or be licensed to write code for Linux.
No one can steal Linux as it's the property of the world so it's less of
a target to attackers.

And you are a total fool for continuing to use Windows.
Pull your head out of your butt today and use Linux.

Because it's stupid to use Windows  ---- ANYWHERE ------

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: 21 Feb 2001 02:21:57 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:36:37 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>"NEED" has nothing to do with it.
>
>Do you ***NEED*** your connection to USENET?
>do you ***NEED*** your TV?

No and no. I agree that if we speak of "need", we must use a fairly
narrow definition.

>If you're going to base government confiscation policies based on
>"need", then you end up with an impoverished population like Russia.

That's an obvious strawman. Most civilised countries have taxes, including
income taxes, including those that have not ended up "impoverished".

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:23:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>Government research shows use of guns is on the rise and gangster films
>are blamed for making it seem 'cool'
>
>Special report: gun violence in Britain

This is bullshit.  The reason illegal use of Guns is occuring in
Great Britian is because they banned them awhile back.

If you use something which is banned, it's illegal.

***PROBLEM SOLVED****

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:26:39 GMT

Hi Tim,

> "Allchin's concerns, eWEEK was told, stem fromGPL paragraph (2B), which
> states, "You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
> whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part
> thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties
> under the terms of this License."
>
> so he doesn't hate all open source, just the type M$ can't hijack.

This is a much more useful and transparent response. Microsoft have
admitted that Allchin was not misquoted.

It is also transparent that Microsoft wants to embrace and extend free
software. Taking over free software and making it proprietary is much
harder with the GPL. We can all understand why Microsoft feels threatened
in this respect.

I found it amusing that Microsoft representatives still couldn't stop
themselves from spouting nonsense. We are now supposed to believe that the
GPL will constrain innovation stemming from taxpayer funded software
development.

And this is the underlying motivation for Microsoft's continuing assault
against open source software: Microsoft wants to poison any initiatives for
government to spend money on open source software development.

Also notice how we:

(a) Now have "Microsoft representatives" instead of a real person being
quoted making the comments.

(b) Microsoft uses the term "taxpayer-funded" software development,
instead of government funded. They want to make out that government has no
business spending taxpayer money on software development. This of course
ignores the present government spending upon proprietary software. If this
dependence could be reduced then taxpayers would likely save money,
especially in the longer term.

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 21 Feb 2001 02:27:42 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:29:34 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

>Really?  Then why do the majority of the "super rich" in America donate
>only to the Demoncrook party?

Probably because they have so much money that it doesn't matter as much
to them. I'd imagine someone with that much money would be more interested
in power.

Based on Bush's plan to abolish the inheritence tax and cut taxes in the
higher brackets, I don't see how they'd gain financially from having
democrats in power.

From: Theo de Raadt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 20 Feb 2001 19:31:15 -0700

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Thank god I don't use any of your software. I value quality and security.

I love it!  Keep this coming!  It's great!

You think I'd keep replying if I didn't think this was hilarious??

--
This space not left unintentionally unblank.            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Open Source means some restrictions apply, limits are placed, often quite

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:35:38 GMT

"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:96v133$im8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> :>
> :> : Creating a new group takes all of several seconds.
> :>
> :> False.  TYPING it takes a few seconds.  You aren't taking
> :> into account talking to the user, getting the list of
> :> users from him.  You also aren't taking into account having
> :> to keep changing it over and over again when he changes his
> :> mind, or people move in and out of his project group.  The
> :> time spent on the computer is trivial.  The IRL interruptions
> :> are not.
>
> : All of which demonstrates that, in the REAL WORLD, there are
> : a lot of management/policy-decisions that justify *NOT* letting
> : users create and modify group membership.
>
> It demonstrates exactly the opposite.

How do you get that?  If it has to be done over it means it was done wrong
the first time.   Do you want to encourage users to make their own
mistakes with the security of their files?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:37:10 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:36:11 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Ziya Oz wrote:

>> > Free: unencumbered; having liberty.
>>
>> GPL is perfectly encumbered. (reasons have been discussed here already)
>>

>It's the would-be-plagiarist who is encumbered, not the code.

s/plagiarist/monopolist/, perhaps.  Or maybe
s/plagiarist/privatist/ might be a better characterization.

It's not clear that copyright is faithfully managed on GPLed code,
although it's also not clear that it's that big of an issue.  :-)

It is clear that GPL removes some freedom from the coding process
(one can no longer hide or steal code).

But it makes the entire process more free thereby -- and it certainly
can make for a higher-quality product, especially if other eyeballs
look over the code and find the bugs.

What I would characterize as doublespeak is the issue that
Microsoft raised -- that GPL code interferes with their buisiness model.
And it does!  But that doesn't mean their business model is all that
shit hot anyway, although part of that might be less-than-competent
software management and limitations on their crapola file system.

(8.3??  Even VMS 3.7 had 9.3; Apollo AEGIS had 32 characters IIRC,
later extended to 256; my Unix at school had 14, back in '80-'83,
which led to "12.1" since Unix object files had .o as a extension,
rather than the MS-DOG .obj -- something they probably inherited
from Intel.  Win95 "hacked over" this limitation in '95 -- that's
how long it took -- and even then, it's still 8.3 plus a shiny
new hubcap which doesn't really do anything, and occasionally falls off.)

I certainly hope Windows XP has a new file system, one which doesn't
have such weird-assed constructs as WINDOW~1.DOC or "ALLCAPS" mutating
to "Allcaps" in the Explorer.

(As I understand it, both DOS and NTFS suffer from the "tilde malady";
the new file system would have to be completely Unicode-compliant
naming-wise to avoid it.  I'm not sure if Unix can handle Unicode or
not, mostly because Unicode has a lot of NUL characters (\0), which
C doesn't handle all that well.)

But back to Microsoft's business model.  While their technical expertise
is less than stellar, their marketing is excellent -- and perhaps
dangerous.  The result is obvious: while Apollo went under (and IMO
thatwas one heck of an engineering workstation), Daisy vanished (good
riddance), Commodore bit the dust (there are those still crying),
Atari might be still around, but I don't see many 1040's anymore,
NeXT is more or less dead, and even Apple is but a shell (core?) of its
former self (but making a rather stylish comeback with their iMac and
G4 lines) -- Microsoft reigns supreme as the King of the Desktop.

Why?  Apparently because we'll believe almost anything they tell us.
(I saw a commercial just the other day touting their reliability!
White server room, single red balloon, party noises in the background
somewhere -- the point being that no one needs to be in there.
Of course, no one needs to be in there anyway, with tools such as
pcAnywhere -- but those tools only allow remote login; it doesn't begin
to address server reliability.  Doublespeak?  What do you think? :-) )

>> > Where's the double speak?
>>
>> Above.
>>
>> ****
>> Ziya

[.sigsnip]

                    Microsoft.  When it absolutely, positively has to act weird.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 21 Feb 2001 02:42:21 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:46:39 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

Well, laws are obviously useless if you're not prepared to
enforce them. That much I can agree on.

However, the issue is not black and white. There are several
issues involved:

(*)     What type of weapons should be legal ?
        Shotguns ?
        Fully automatics ?
        Lightweight handguns ?

(*)     Should there be mandatory background checks ?
        Should minors be able to purchase weapons ? Carry them in public
        places ?

(*)     Should licenses be required for gun owners ?

(*)     Where should we allow the use of guns ?
        Should it be legal to keep guns in the home ?
        Carry them in public places ? (parks, shops, restaurants, hospitals)

There are lots of issues here. I don't have any problems with people keeping
guns in their home, though I have doubts about allowing sniper weapons or
automatic weapons. I don't think convenience is an acceptable excuse for
making compromises on background checks. I also think there are some real
issues about "where". I have no problem with people keeping shotguns in
their home, but I would not feel safe if every second person on the
street was carrying one. Perhaps it's that waving the gun around in a
public place is a recipe for disaster.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:43:44 GMT

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:43:52 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Chad's idiocy aside, I am still myself partially ignorant in this
>regard.  I presume Mr. de Raadt is the author of the open source version
>of ssh?

You can look it up.  From the OpenSSH 2.3.0p1 CREDITS file:

=========
Tatu Ylonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Creator of SSH

Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos,
Theo de Raadt, and Dug Song - Creators of OpenSSH
=========

Then there's a whole slew of other people listed who contributed docs,
bug fixes, etc.

So our Chad has been holding forth on the flaws of OpenSSH to at least
two of the authors of the program, plus one person who co-wrote a book
about it (R. E. Silverman).  One would think that in such company he
would at least try to educate himself before posting, but that's Chad
for you.

Followups redirected to Chad's usual home.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking