  How much does it take to make sound work in linux?? (#KUNDAN KUMAR#)

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:08:33 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:35:52 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donald R.
> McGregor) wrote:
>
> > The recent laws have had a huge effect on the number of legal
> > handguns in ciruculation (there are none). They're all illegal
> > now. Oddly, the gun crime rate keeps going up, so apparently
> > the gun laws aren't having much of the desired effect any
> > more now than they were in the 20's.
>
> The recent laws in the UK were brought in as a result of Dunblane. If they
> have resulted in fewer loner nutters like Hamilton getting guns then they
> have succeeded in their purpose.

But at the cost of how many OTHERS killed in "hot burglaries" (where the
residents are home), and gang-members shooting randomly in public,
because they *KNOW* that law-abiding citizens have disarmed themselves.

> We will have to wait 10 or 15 years to see if there's another Hungerford or
> Dunblane before pronouncing success.
>
> Criminals will get guns whatever legislation you put in place - they're

And this helps the law-abiding populace how, exactly?

> criminals after all. If they all end up killing each other so much the
> better.
>
> Peter
> --
>
> In the 19th century surveyors measured the height of Everest
> from 500 miles away in India.
> This cannot be repeated today. Everest is no longer visible from
> the survey location due to increased atmospheric pollution.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Into the abyss...
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:11:56 GMT

Nigel wrote:

> > It was also acknowledged in that statement that some people prefer that
> it
> > not be called UNIX because of some silly trademark battle a few years
> back,
> > so they refer to the "-like" sufficx. Even FreeBSD shuns the direct
> > assertation that they're 'UNIX(tm)' but leaves that up to the user to
> > determine if that label makes that big of a difference.
> >

> The usual label seems to be UN*X - close enough for anyone to know what you
> mean but different enough to avoid trademark problems (although UN?X would
> be more correct).
What I see all the time is "*nix."
--
                Double Bucky
        (Sung to the tune of "Rubber Duckie")

Double bucky, you're the one!
You make my keyboard lots of fun
        Double bucky, an additional bit or two:
(Vo-vo-de-o!)
Control and Meta side by side,
Augmented ASCII, nine bits wide!
        Double bucky, a half a thousand glyphs, plus a few!

Double bucky, left and right
OR'd together, outta sight!
        Double bucky, I'd like a whole word of
        Double bucky, I'm happy I heard of
        Double bucky, I'd like a whole word of you!

                -- (C) 1978 by Guy L. Steele, Jr.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donald R. McGregor)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:19:00 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Gerry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Actuall, the "silent statistic" is that about one MILLION crimes/year
>> are prevented in the US by the mere DISPLAY of a gun by a law-abiding
>> citizen.
>
>Where are you citing this number from?

Gary Kleck, in a series of surveys. See his books published
on Amazon. He actually comes up with up to 2.5 million
defensive gun uses per year.

Note followups.
--
Don McGregor    | "The cemetery is filled with indispensable men."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]|     --DeGaulle

------------------------------

From: "Sam Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:19:34 -0000

> > > I really have no interest in giving you a demonstration of
> > > the utter chaos which would ensue if I were to remove it.
> >
> > Aaah, so you're our savior.  Without your arrogance and rude
behavior,
> > we'd all be much worse off.  You're rude AND delusional.  Two
great
> > annoyances in one package!
> >
> > I don't buy it.  There's another way to avoid those
flamewars: ignore or
> > killfile those people and their attacks.  That accomplishes
the same

> Ignoring savage insults and accusations implies to the observer
that
> that insults and accusations are true.

And yet you still refuse to justify the petty attacks present in
your .sig.

> I *REFUSE* to allow my name to be besmirched without response.

Get over it.

--
Cheers,
Sam

"All your base are belong to us" - Cats

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:21:28 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:06:57 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:36:11 -0500
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> >It's the would-be-plagiarist who is encumbered, not the code.
>>
>> s/plagiarist/monopolist/, perhaps.  Or maybe
>> s/plagiarist/privatist/ might be a better characterization.
>
>How about "would-be-plagiarizing monopolist"

Works for me. :-)

Mind you, there's nothing wrong with a monopoly qua monopoly.
However, if that monopoly turns abusive, then we have problems,
and it's clear that we may be better off if the monopoly didn't
form in the first place -- a question better asked in other newsgroups.
However, it's a little late now for Microsoft -- they already are
a monopoly on the desktop market, and may be starting to form another
monopoly, this one in the secure service market, which they have
more than 50% of at last count.

>> It's not clear that copyright is faithfully managed on GPLed code,
>> although it's also not clear that it's that big of an issue.  :-)
>>

>The intent is clear.  And any judge who rules against it is looking
>to get overturned by higher courts...such as the US Supreme Court.
>
>> It is clear that GPL removes some freedom from the coding process
>> (one can no longer hide or steal code).
>>
>> But it makes the entire process more free thereby -- and it certainly
>> can make for a higher-quality product, especially if other eyeballs
>> look over the code and find the bugs.
>>
>> What I would characterize as doublespeak is the issue that
>> Microsoft raised -- that GPL code interferes with their buisiness model.
>
>Yes...they are no longer allowed to steal other peoples' ideas and
>then claim to have invented them.  That MOST CERTAINLY fucks with
>Microsoft's business model.
>

>> And it does!  But that doesn't mean their business model is all that
>> shit hot anyway, although part of that might be less-than-competent
>> software management and limitations on their crapola file system.
>>
>> (8.3??  Even VMS 3.7 had 9.3; Apollo AEGIS had 32 characters IIRC,
>> later extended to 256; my Unix at school had 14, back in '80-'83,
>
>v7 Unix on PDP-11's.

v6 too, I think.  I don't remember it changing.  (Mind you, our v6 was
rather modified, if my memory serves.  v7 came during my college daze.)

>> which led to "12.1" since Unix object files had .o as a extension,
>> rather than the MS-DOG .obj -- something they probably inherited
>> from Intel.  Win95 "hacked over" this limitation in '95 -- that's
>> how long it took -- and even then, it's still 8.3 plus a shiny
>> new hubcap which doesn't really do anything, and occasionally falls off.)
>
>all too often.
>

>> I certainly hope Windows XP has a new file system, one which doesn't
>> have such weird-assed constructs as WINDOW~1.DOC or "ALLCAPS" mutating
>> to "Allcaps" in the Explorer.
>>
>> (As I understand it, both DOS and NTFS suffer from the "tilde malady";
>> the new file system would have to be completely Unicode-compliant
>> naming-wise to avoid it.  I'm not sure if Unix can handle Unicode or
>> not, mostly because Unicode has a lot of NUL characters (\0), which
>> C doesn't handle all that well.)
>>
>> But back to Microsoft's business model.  While their technical expertise
>> is less than stellar, their marketing is excellent -- and perhaps
>> dangerous.
>
>That's an understatement.
>

>>           The result is obvious: while Apollo went under (and IMO
>> thatwas one heck of an engineering workstation), Daisy vanished (good
>> riddance), Commodore bit the dust (there are those still crying),
>> Atari might be still around, but I don't see many 1040's anymore,
>
>Atari...committed suicide with a sub-machine-gun.
>
>More incompetant management and marketing, I've never seen.
>

>> NeXT is more or less dead, and even Apple is but a shell (core?) of its
>> former self (but making a rather stylish comeback with their iMac and
>> G4 lines) -- Microsoft reigns supreme as the King of the Desktop.
>>
>> Why?  Apparently because we'll believe almost anything they tell us.
>> (I saw a commercial just the other day touting their reliability!
>> White server room, single red balloon, party noises in the background
>> somewhere -- the point being that no one needs to be in there.
>> Of course, no one needs to be in there anyway, with tools such as
>> pcAnywhere -- but those tools only allow remote login; it doesn't begin
>> to address server reliability.  Doublespeak?  What do you think? :-) )
>
>Gates hired Goebell's grandchildren to work in his marketing department.

>> [.sigsnip]
>>
>> --
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
>> EAC code #191       16d:00h:13m actually running Linux.
>>                     Microsoft.  When it absolutely, positively has to act weird.

[.sigsnip]

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Check out this Windows bug
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:24:21 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:12:54 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >

> >Donn Miller wrote:

> >> I can't believe how bad FAT32 is!  Damn, is there a worse filesystem out
> >> there:
> >
> >FAT16
> >FAT12
> >

> >>  severe fragmentation, no symlinks, long file names is really a hack,
> >> reliability is horrid.  OTOH, I will give FAT credit for one thing.  Isn't it
> >> the best filesystem for very small filesystems, like say, for a 1.44 MB
> >> floppy, for example?  You know, if someone in 1991 (when I first started
> >
> >ext2fs on a floppy seems to hold more.
>
> A small test case:
>
> /h5/ewill/dumb/flop.ext2
>                           1412        13      1327   1%
>
> /h5/ewill/dumb/mount.ext2
>
> /h5/ewill/dumb/flop.fat
>                           1423         0      1423   0%
> /h5/ewill/dumb/mount.fat
>
> might be construed either way.  (Don't pay too much attention to the '1327';
> ext2 has a reserve factor that allows the superuser to write blocks when
> ordinary users run out.  The default is 5%.  Also, I've folded the
> lines to fit; otherwise, they'd run off the end of the 80-char
> boundary.  The mounts are using the loop device.)
>
> Without lost+found, it actually would hold more, and for a floppy,
> lost+found -- which is the same size regardless of disk size; there
> doesn't seem to be an elegant method to override it -- is somewhat
> pointless.
>
> With lost+found, of course, the fat floppy has 11 more blocks.
>
> Of course, even without lost+found, the number of blocks is only 2.
> The cluster sizes also look the same.
>
> The only issue that ext2 has is that user and group IDs are supported.
> However, this is slightly pointless on a floppy (root can read
> anything). :-)
>
> There might be an issue with directory entries; on vfat (fat+Win95),
> the short entries are the same, but the long entries take up twice
> as much space per filename because it uses Unicode characters.
> This may be partially offset by bigger inodes for ext2, but I'd have
> to look up the details.  I do find the vfat storage method hackish
> and wasteful, however.

What was your ratio of (512 or 1k) blocks to inodes?

conduct the test again using a reasonable number of inodes
[1000 or so i-nodes for a floppy disk seems rather...excessive...to me]

> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       16d:19h:22m actually running Linux.
>                     Darn.  Just when this message was getting good, too.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Incredible developments in Italy regarding business software
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:25:36 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Adam Warner
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 21 Feb 2001 01:42:22 +1300
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >From the truth is stranger than fiction file:
> >
> >http://lwn.net/2001/features/siae.php3
> >
> >Any Italian wanting to distribute software for profit requires an
> >authorising stamp or they could face a huge fine or imprisonment:
> >
> >"Whoever intends to make a profit ...for commercial or business purposes,
> >from the use of ...computer programs contained on a medium not bearing the
> >SIAE stamp, is subject to a penalty of imprisonment from six months up to
> >three years and to a fine from 2500 to 15000 Euros."
> >
> >Since an SIAE stamp is required for the name of the author, publisher,
> >producer or copyright holder a single Linux CD could conceivably require
> >hundreds of stamps.
> >
> >Adam
>
> Who the hell dreamt up *this* scheme?!  (And who paid them to do it?)
>
> If this is accurate (I can't say), Italy's free/GPL source advocates
> are going to have a rough road ahead.
>
> I'm also curious if "medium" includes Internet transmission methods
> such as FTP, HTTP, and SCP (= RCP+SSL, roughly; it's for secure
> copying).  In other words, if I were in Italy, would I be required
> to obtain an SIAE stamp from the publisher (or someone else?) of said
> software as part of the download?  Prior to the download?

Sounds like you would have to get a stamp for your internet connection.
(Cable, telephone, or DSL line).

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       16d:20h:45m actually running Linux.
>                     Hi.  I'm a signature virus.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Sam Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:25:55 -0000

accurate

> > > Would you like to see ALL of the below-mentioned
in-duh-viduals
> > > starting flamewars here?
> >
> > How does your preposterous .sig stop that happening?
>
> Simple.  I document their onerous behavior BEFORE they even
commit it.

> Takes the wind out of their sails right quick, it does.

This reminds me of a scene from an episode of The Simpsons.

 Lisa: By your logic, I could say that this rock keeps tigers
away!
Homer: Really? How does it work?
 Lisa: It doesn't work! It's just a stupid rock! But do your see
any tigers
       around here?
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock...

> > Meanwhile you haven't justified your petty attacks.
> >
> > > Didn't think so.

I suggest you cull the .sig, and paste the petty attacks into an
image editor. Save the image and set it as your desktop
background. Now, whenever you feel self-doubt you can just look
at your computer screen! This achieves the same effect (being
petty and trite), without pissing off the rest of us at the same
time!

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:26:03 +0000

>> >Printing is a fundamental requirement. Configuring a printer has to be
>> >addressed with more maturity than expecting the user to fiddle around
>> >with drivers on a per application basis.
>>
>> Those aren't "drivers", they're mere lp commands.
>
> Nope.

Correct. For some reason, best known to the GIMP developers, it ships
with many different printer drivers.

> Let's see. You want to print from The Gimp? You can select file or lp,
> or whatever you've called your printer. Select lp. So far so good. Now,

Yep.

>   ****despite the fact that my printer queue is called "Epson" to match
>   my
> Epson Stylus Color****,

What sort of garbage ASCII (is postscript text) garbage or random bytes
garbage?

> it will print garbage. You  ***still*** have to go to "setup" and select
> your printer instead of the default "PostScript Level 1", then save
> settings. Then it does a reasonable, but not outstanding, printout.

No, you don't. You've got GIMP sending raw postscript to the printer.
It's a stupid default, but hey. If you remove that, you should be ab eto
preint PS level 1, 2 or 3.

> So it's a ***lot*** more than just "lp commands", it's setting "drivers"
> on a per application basis.

No, not on a per application basis. This is one app, GIMP which is odd.
Tru selecting a specific driver under netscape. You can't all you do is
select a queue. The print system sorts the rest out.

> Ok, they're filters to convert whatever The
> Gimp outputs into whatever the Epson understands, a lot more than "mere
> lp commands". A filter on a Windows machine to convert WSP to what your
> printer understands is called a "driver" so it's valid to call your
> filter on a Linux machine a "driver". A "driver" by any other name...

Correct . GIMP ships with drivers other than PostScript.

> And to anyone not aware of the fact that The Gimp requires you to set up
> a printer specifically for itself and doesn't use system-wide settings,
> it's a disaster.

Incorrect in general. My GIMP printed to my default printer with no
intervention. The problem seems to be that some GIMPs try do dump
postscript to the printer avoiding the system filters, which is dumb.
They still select the correct default printer.

>> I can understand the notion that learning lp commands is a tremendous
>> burden on the user, but if the only alternative is monopoly crapware,
>
> There's no reason on this earth why a single system-wide printer
> configuration is the sole province of monopoly crapware.

No. It works fine under Linux for all apps except some GIMPs. Whinge to
the GIMP developers since this is a GIMP problem, not a Linux problem.

> I'm not "trolling on Usenet", whether Pete Goodwin was is a matter of
> opinion. To my mind he has a valid complaint - why doesn't The Gimp use
> the system-wide printer configuration by default, instead of defaulting
> to something else?

It does use the default printer. It just tries to bypass the system
drivers.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Sam Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:28:09 -0000

accurate

DOUBLE

> > > Would you like to see ALL of the below-mentioned
in-duh-viduals
> > > starting flamewars here?
> >
> > You apparently would, or you wouldn't be antagonizing them in
your .sig.

> Then why do you not see them doing so right now.

Because they never did so in the first place?

> The .sig does *NOT* antagonize them into flaming me.  Quite the
> opposite...by documenting their behavior, it takes all the fun
> away from them.

All it does is cancel out the effect of the remaining 12 people
who sill only post links to newsgroups rather than attaching
binaries.

From: #KUNDAN KUMAR# <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How much does it take to make sound work in linux??
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 06:14:55 +0800

Dear friends,
 I have become frustrated and you are my last hope.Even though i am a
newbie, i managed to install debian and upgrade my kernel to 2.4.1. But
after lots of tweaking, I am unable to get the sound working with good
quality. I had LM 7.2 installed on my computer earlier and the card was
working fine.
 What I could get from the KDE control center was something like this:
 Yamaha DSXG PCI(YMF724F) o:YMFPCI at oxd5020000, irq 10 (DUPLEX)
 alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-ymfpci
 post-install snd-card-ymfpci modprobe snd-pcm-oss

I know the card should work, but am unable to make it. I compiled kernel
2.2.18 with ALSA. the sounds worked, but were in mono mode. Quite
unacceptable.

As when compiling 2.4.1, I first took snd card support as module. I
could not modprobe "soundcore" which seem to be required as a must. I
again compiled 2.4.1 with everything inside the kernel( no module):
ymfpci, yamaha pci legacy support, OSS support. Now after reboot, there
is not a single sound related module in the kernel. modprobe ymfpci,
sound etc don't work. When i was changing the kernel using dpkg -i
kernel-image... there was a warning regarding rebooting immediately for
making modules.dep compatible.
I did reboot immediately.

What went wrong? When linux is so stable, why any tweaking with system
makes it such a mess?

With regards,
kundan