From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:34:21 GMT

Said Paul Colquhoun in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 21 Feb 2001
>On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:53:28 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>|
>|"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>|news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>|> You can look it up.  From the OpenSSH 2.3.0p1 CREDITS file:
>|>
>|> ---------
>|> Tatu Ylonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Creator of SSH
>|>
>|> Aaron Campbell, Bob Beck, Markus Friedl, Niels Provos,
>|> Theo de Raadt, and Dug Song - Creators of OpenSSH
>|> ---------
>|>
>|> Then there's a whole slew of other people listed who contributed docs,
>|> bug fixes, etc.
>|>
>|> So our Chad has been holding forth on the flaws of OpenSSH to at least
>|> two of the authors of the program, plus one person who co-wrote a book
>|> about it (R. E. Silverman).  One would think that in such company he
>|> would at least try to educate himself before posting, but that's Chad
>|> for you.
>|>
>|> Followups redirected to Chad's usual home.
>|
>|Creators of OpenSSH which is based, in part on the "fundamentally flawed"
>|protocol.
>
>Nowhere near as "fundamentally flawed" as the SMB protocol was originally,
>and MS still puts out products based on SMB.

What do you mean, "originally"?  :-)

AFAIK, the SMB protocol is, was, and always will be, so outrageously
vulnerable to violations and exploits that it can not be used for any
public WAN links, even if it could provide the necessary performance.

SMB is built into *every* MS product, as it is the entire core of the
"Windows networking" world.

You're being a bit too gentle, I'd say, Paul.  Was that on purpose?

Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.B Moreno)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:35:45 -0500

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ignoring savage insults and accusations implies to the observer that
> that insults and accusations are true.

Except on usenet where it implies that you have a decent newsreader.

--
JBM
"Moebius strippers only show you their back side." -- Unknown

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:37:06 GMT

Said Peter Köhlmann in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 21 Feb 2001
>Chad Myers wrote:
>> >
>> > So our Chad has been holding forth on the flaws of OpenSSH to at least
>> > two of the authors of the program, plus one person who co-wrote a book
>> > about it (R. E. Silverman).  One would think that in such company he
>> > would at least try to educate himself before posting, but that's Chad
>> > for you.
>> >
>> > Followups redirected to Chad's usual home.
>>
>> Creators of OpenSSH which is based, in part on the "fundamentally flawed"
>> protocol.
>>

>Now that is a new twist, Chaddy-boy. First it were only the implementations
>of SSH which in your rantings were "flawed  --  fundamentally flawed  etc",+

Chad learned a new word!  :-D

>now that you are confronted with people who know the product in question
>inside out and you realise that you don`t have a snowball in hells chance
>to argue against them, suddenly the complete protocol is flawed.
>
>Hey, we should not let "Chad the lying asshole" off the hook here.
>He should explain to all of us where and why the protocol is flawed.

Now that would be entertaining.

>Chad, you are really just a piece of shit. I am sure your mother is very
>ashamed of you, always wringing her hands and asking herself at what
>point things startet to go wrong.

Wow.  Now *that's* a response.  My congratulations, sir, at your skill
in handling a flame-thrower.

Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Business
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:39:02 -0500

Hey, Drestin

Still pimping out your wife?

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: MS seeks Gov't help to stop blacks from using computersRe: Microsoft
Date: 22 Feb 2001 03:48:01 GMT

On 22 Feb 2001 02:51:59 GMT, Joseph T. Adams wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Bloody Viking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>There are tens of millions of Linux users in the Third World whose
>living standards do not begin to approach those of working-class people
>in the U.S. and other industrialized nations.

I'd say the same thing here -- I think Linux is probably more popular
in the rich countries than elsewhere.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:50:06 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:02:29 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
> >> Are all homicides committed by people with prior criminal convictions ?
> >
> >100%?  No.
> >
> >95%? Yes.
>
> Cite please ?

FBI.

> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:50:26 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:02:29 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
> >> Are all homicides committed by people with prior criminal convictions ?
> >
> >100%?  No.
> >
> >95%? Yes.
>
> Cite please ?

FBI Uniform Crime Report.

> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:51:26 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:28:39 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:03:32 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>Don't expect to get much support from the Union rank-and-file then.
> >
> >       You won't even get much support from accountants and lawyers
> >       with rhetoric like that in some states...
> >
> >       Plus, I don't suppose that this hypocrite is a vegan by any
> >       chance. (I really doubt it)
>
> Vegetarian.

Malnutrition must be fogging his thought processes.

> Would you like to withdraw the "hypocrite" remark now ?
>
> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Allchin backtracks, now likes open source
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:52:40 GMT

Said Tim Hanson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:54:28
>"Platforms Group Vice President Jim Allchin was "misunderstood" when he
>expressed concerns last week about the long-term industry effects of
>open-source software."
>
>"Allchin's concerns, eWEEK was told, stem fromGPL paragraph (2B), which
>states, "You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
>whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part
>thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties
>under the terms of this License."
>
>so he doesn't hate all open source, just the type M$ can't hijack.

Precisely.

"Allchin, according to the company, does not have the same concerns
about all open-source approaches in general. "There are other kinds of
open-source licenses that encourage third-party development but without
the same constraints, including the BSD license," Microsoft
representatives said."

I've mentioned in the past that the GPL is fundamentally one of the most
anti-competitive practices possible.  It is so anti-competitive, in
fact, that it cannot be mitigated or deterred, let alone overwhelmed,
subverted, or "hijacked" by even the most complete, secure, and
unavoidable monopoly that has ever existed, providing power to the
richest and most singularly powerful corporation on the planet, with its
founder being the richest man on the planet.

And the moment that commercial software (copyright wrapped in a trade
secret, I've called it) in its present monopolistic form disappears, so
will any reason an author has to place his work under a GPL, rather than
any other open license.

I'd say this is a crowning achievement, and watershed turning point in
the history of civilization.  Wouldn't you?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: 22 Feb 2001 03:53:46 GMT

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:47:47 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

>Should it?  Are you guessing?  Have you actually read this in the book?
>Simply provide a page reference.

I take it we're talking about "Operating System Concepts", Silberschatz/
Galvin.

Try P659, last paragraph:

----
"The simplest form of communication between processes is by
*pipes*,

A pipe is essentially a queue of bytes between two processes".

----

 From this it seems that they are making it pretty clear that a pipe
is a form of IPC. It is not simply reading output from one command
and using that as input for another.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:53:50 GMT

Said Tim Hanson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:56:49
    [...]
>A year spent in artificial intelligence is enough to make one believe
>in God.

Nice sig. I like it a lot; even more so that I'm an atheist when it
comes to both God *and* artificial intelligence.  ;-)

Is it original?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 22 Feb 2001 03:55:58 GMT

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:31:02 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:05:54 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> >"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:970tqj$i83$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>the

>> >Perhaps you can point out a single credible definition of "pipe" that
>> >defines it with multitasking?
>> >
>> >By credible, I mean a university, book, or other experts definition.
>>
>> Actually, any academic text on operating systems will
>> extol the value of exploiting parallelism. This is what
>> a "real pipe" can do that mere copies don't. They (and
>> multitasking in general) allow for tasks to proceed as
>> a collection of smaller tasks that may exercise different
>> parts of the system simultaneously.
>
>Then it should be quite simple for you to provide a credible reference.
>Right?

Indeed. See my other post.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:04:01 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:02:29 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >

> >You are the goddamned WORST statist I have come across in months.
>
> You really should get out more.

I tend to hang out with people who believe in personal freedom.

> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Ooooopsss there goes another one.
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 04:04:57 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:56:55 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Well it's not exactly gone yet, but it's well on the way.
>

>http://dailynews.netscape.com/mynsnews/story.tmpl?table=n&cat=50300
>&id=200102211148000244539
>

>Flatfish
>Why do they call it a flatfish?
>Remove the ++++ to reply.

And remember, folks.  Companies providing Linux are dying left and right.
Everyone is seeing the Linux hype for what it really is: hype.
The Microsoft Operating System is therefore the way to go and everyone
should buy a copy of Windows 2000, Windows ME, or Windows XP (when it
comes out) as soon as possible, and forget about Linux because it
obviously isn't cutting the mustard as a profitable solution.

Spot The Flaw.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- hint: Java
                    No electrons were harmed during this message.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 22 Feb 2001 04:06:05 GMT

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:40:38 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>> How about a compromise.
>> Put the contents of your signature on a web page, and put the URL to it
>> in your signature. Then you can make it as long as you want (even going
>> through the whole alphabet if you like!)
>
>Nope.  Then after every scirrilous attack, I'll have to write a
>follow-up
>instructing people to actually look at the web page.

Why not simply put it in your sig and advise people to look at it ?
Duh! I suppose it's because you want to force people to download that
sorry BS thousands of times over ?

>I have NO interest in WASTING MY TIME in such an endeavour.

But a lot of interest in wasting everyone else's bandwidth, apparently.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: You know you're REALLY an Insomniac when...
Date: 22 Feb 2001 04:06:47 GMT

Your uptime as a human is greater than the NT servers in your shop.

People complain how they have to reboot 3 times daily, and you say "Geez,
during one of MY 'days' I have to reboot the SERVER 3 times!".

When you do sleep, it's for less time than the typical NT reinstall.

You wish your brain was a cluster, so when one hemisphere crashes you can
still function as it reboots.

EXTREMELY SEVERE: When your uptime as a human exceeds the uptime of a
_LINUX_ server!

I'm a pretty bad insomniac, with frequent uptimes of 3 days straight during
the week, comparable to an NT server, hence the humour. Something real best
said in C pseudocode:

sayf("The next sunrise will be %s\n", &day_of_week);

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 22 Feb 2001 04:08:33 GMT

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:36:05 +0000, Edward Rosten wrote:
>In article <u4Vk6.421$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>i don't need to cite anyone since I can prove my case:

Unless you can provide a definition, you're just blowing smoke.

Pipes need multitasking by definition (or perhaps it would be more
appropriate to say that "multitasking needs pipes")