  Re: Who said NT was stable ! (J Sloan)

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:46:10 -0500

Ian Davey wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> True, but the fewer weapons in circulation the lower your chances of getting
> > shot.
> >
> >Actually not.
>
> >It merely emboldens criminals to use guns without fear of retaliation.
>
> Okay prove it then, list the number of UK (non-criminal) citizens shot by
> criminals with handguns since the ban. How do the vast majority of police
> officers manage to walk the streets without a gun of any kind?

We've already posted several articles for you on that....from
LONDON newspapers.

Arguing from a position of ignorance and stupidity is NOT a winning
combination.

> The fact is there never has been a gun culture in the UK. Even when handguns

That's why, in 1940, the American people had to donate their own rifles
and ammunition supplies to the British citizenry...because too many
British
consider defending one's self to be a fate *worse* than death.

> were legal people didn't carry them around to defend themselves. Amongst
> civilians and non-criminals they were only used for sport.

That must by why your firearm homocide rate has TRIPLED since the
handgun
ban....not to mention the increase in beatings, and attacks with blunt
objects like cricket bats, and knifings.

> I'm twenty six and have never seen a handgun in my entire life, outside of a
> movie screen. Mainly because I don't visit shooting ranges.

Then you are a child.

A *MAN* learns how to properly defend himself and his loved ones.

> ian.
>
>  \ /
> (@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
> /(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
>  | |

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:46:51 -0500

Ian Davey wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> No. We live in a democracy and we are free to not have guns if we wish. I
> >
> >And what about those who...decide they don't like that law.
> >
> >News reports I've been reading indicate that they have kept their guns,
> >and are using them MORE often against law-abiding citizens.
>
> So you're saying that gun owners are minded to use their weapons against law
> abiding citizens? That's exactly why they were banned.

it's the HABITUAL CRIMINALS who are using them against law-abiding
citizens,
you ignorant ninny.

> ian.
>
>  \ /
> (@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
> /(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
>  | |

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:47:34 -0500

Ian Davey wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >> Guns are specifically designed to kill, alcohol isn't. You could
> >> also put an end to DUI's by banning cars, but they're not designed
> >> to kill either.
> >
> >Hmmm, nobody I know bought a gun to kill people with.  They buy them
> >for sport, defense and hunting (admittedly, hand guns are not used
> >much in hunting -- although they are used occasionally).
>
> That's not what I said. Guns are designed to kill, they can be used for
> hunting (isn't that killing), or sport, but killing is what they're designed
> to do.
>
> Shotguns, rifles, etc. that are used for hunting aren't banned here.

Unless you use it to deter a rapist.
Then you're in deep shit.

> >I wouldn't be against banning hand guns, but there has to be
> >consensous by 2/3 majority (at least here in the US).
>
> I doubt if even that would work in your case, the US gun lobby is extremely
> powerful.
>
> ian.
>
>  \ /
> (@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
> /(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
>  | |

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS seeks Gov't help to stop blacks from using computersRe: Microsoft
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:51:25 -0500

Nick Condon wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron Kulkis) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Ever notice how the majority of the strictest gun-control laws are
> >in those localities with a high proportion of black residents...
> >and that these same gun laws ALWAYS allow exceptions for the very
> >same people who claim that nobody "needs" a gun.
>
> Are going for some sort of record for how many threads you can introduce
> gun control to?

Sure, why not.

Gun control is based on two principles:

1) Class warfare (the elite against the common man)
2) Racism (first thing the southern states did after the Civil War was
        to pass laws making it illegal for blacks to own guns).

> --
> Nick

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerry)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:57:14 -0600

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Simple.  I document their onerous behavior BEFORE they even commit it.
>
> Takes the wind out of their sails right quick, it does.

Sorry. That doesn't make ANY sense.
How can you document something before it happens.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gerry)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 15:57:14 -0600

Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > So if we flame you long enough and hard enough about it, you'll drop the
> > long sig?
>
> No.  I'll add you as Item K.

How about, instead of participating in a "flame war", be a bit more
civil have a rational debate.

No one will flame you if you disagree with them, but are very civil
about it.

I have a very good example on a mailing list I'm on.
There is a big debate going on

It's quite obvious from the length of your signature that you aren't
trying to be civil.

Here's step #1 to becoming a better person:

Remove your signature.

--

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:57:09 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >

> >Charlie Ebert wrote:

> >> This is bullshit.  The reason illegal use of Guns is occuring in
> >> Great Britian is because they banned them awhile back.
> >>
> >> If you use something which is banned, it's illegal.
> >>
> >> ***PROBLEM SOLVED****
> >

> >then why all of the bullet-riddled bodies in British morgues these days?
> >

> Well AK, if you BANN something it becomes illegal, RIGHT?
>
> That's *why* they are finding illegal guns in Great Britian!

I'm not concerned about the guns...I'm asking about why there is an
dramatic INCREASE in shooting victims showing up at the morgue since
the hand-gun ban.

now, the question is:

If the purpose of the handgun ban was to LOWER the murder rate,
then quite obviously, it's not working.

On the other hand, if the handgun ban was to keep criminals from
owning handguns,...that's not working either (according to the
London police, as documented in the London Telegraph)...

But if the purpose of the handgun ban is to keep law-abiding
citizens from defending themselves from attack....*then* it
is a VERY successful law.

And we all know (England, Russia, Germany, China, Japan), what
happens when the government turns rogue and starts attacking
the citizenry.

Remember the story of Robin Hood.  Robin's men were outlaws because
they were mere commoners in posession of bows and arrows...in defiance
of Little Johns "bow and arrow control" laws.

Of course, the fact that Little John's purpose for making such laws
was so that he could oppress the people is insignificant...right?

> >> --
> >> Charlie
> >>
> >>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
> >>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
> >>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> >> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
> >>       http://www.debian.org
> >
> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642
> >

> >H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >    premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >    you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >    you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> >I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >   challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >   between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> >J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >   The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >   also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> >A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> >B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >   method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >   direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> >C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> >D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >   ...despite (C) above.
> >
> >E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >   her behavior improves.
> >
> >F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >   adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> >G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Allchin backtracks, now likes open source
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:59:13 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Charlie Ebert wrote:
> >
> > If the Government *WERE TO PASS LEGISLATION* which banned government
> > contributions of code to Linux, private vendors would be using Linux
> > anyway.  There is nothing to stop those private vendors from using Linux.
> > They are selling Linux to the Navy right now to replace Microsoft, Airforce
> > too!  There was an article about it in the Linux Journal this month.
> > Don't forget about embedded Linux chips taking on Cisco!  Cisco is very
> > worried about this as now they have over 100 competitors when before they
> > had none.
> >
> > Even if the Government were stupid enought to ban contributions of code
> > from NASA or the NSA or whoever, the vendors would just haul it in anyway.
> >
> > Microsoft has to face the facts that it has died.
> > It just has to face those facts.
> >
> > And if your a manager who's proposed Microsoft for your business,
> > I think you should retire.  You've just become useless to our
> > organization.  Retire.
>
> I dunno, our Windows project is going to be DII-COE compliant.
> I hear rumors that the DII-COE geniuses want to phase out
> the support for UNIX.  In other words, the military wants to
> become dependent on a single vendor for their operating
> system.  Sounds very outrageous.  If true, I'm dumbfounded,
> feckless, and fearful.

The General in charge will get reamed up the ass some day.
The military is VERY harsh on high-ranking officers who fuck things
up.  Maybe not immediately...but as soon as the failure happens, and
the post-mortem analysis is done (and the military ALWAYS does
post-mortem analysis of system failures)....the fingers will be
pointing at the men who chose to use Windows....and the General
who approved it.

> Chris

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Into the abyss...
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:54:53 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ian Pulsford"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Then what struck me about FreeBSD was that I get a beautiful, clean,
> > stable installation of a core unix(-like) system, without strange
>                                      ^^^^^^
>
> BSD is UNIX.

Kind of pre-historic though... they never managed to upgrade from System
III to System V

--
Cheers

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:02:38 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:56:21 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Tim Hanson wrote:
>
> <...>
>
> > > Alas, the battleships are no longer here.  All that's left are the Carl
> >
> > I believe that two of them have not been decommissioned yet...just
> > put back into the mothball fleet.
> >

> > > Vinson, Independence, and Ranger here, and the Abraham Lincoln in
> > > Everett.  We'll just have to struggle through with air strikes.
> > >

> > It's too bad.  Naval Artillery is a relatively cheap way to support
> > any Marines who need to establish a beachhead.
>
> Not as bad as the British Royal Navy, where the gunners are required to
> shout "BANG" on training exercises due to lack of real shells.

British refuse to take self-defense seriously

That's why you have a handgun ban.
That's why, in WW2, American citizens donated their privately-owned,
household firearms to Britain to defend the beaches against an
invasion by the Germans...

[Fortunately, Germany never manufactured proper landing craft to do so,
or you all might be speaking German to this very day].

> Peter
> --
>
> In the 19th century surveyors measured the height of Everest
> from 500 miles away in India.
> This cannot be repeated today. Everest is no longer visible from
> the survey location due to increased atmospheric pollution.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Bill Gates and Michael Dell
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:03:49 -0500

Lars Träger wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:37:29 -0500, Peter Ammon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >How does Windows/Linux/StudlyOS prevent your apps from crashing?  When
> > >the app crashes, you lose the same amount of work whether or not the OS
> > >goes down too.
> >
> > A properly working OS will prevent the crashing app from corrupting the
> > rest of the system.
>
> So some versions/distributions of Linux are not a properly working OS.

But UNLIKE Windows, those linux distributions are PROPERLY labelled as
'development' versions....NOT "ready for prime time" like M$ does.

> Lars T.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:05:16 GMT

Peter Hayes wrote:

> Let's see. You want to print from The Gimp? You can select file or lp, or
> whatever you've called your printer. Select lp. So far so good. Now,
>
>   ****despite the fact that my printer queue is called "Epson" to match my
> Epson Stylus Color****,

So you have deliberately changed the printer name from
the default of "lp" to "Epson", an unconventional device
name, to say the least.

Having changed the default, you are in effect saying
"I know what I'm doing, I know it's a strange device
name but I have a good reason for changing it and
I am prepared to make all neccessary adjustments
to deal with the consequences".

If in fact you have no clue what you're doing, it's
you who are to blame, and nobody else.

jjs

------------------------------

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,demon.local
Subject: Re: Hilter Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:06:34 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nick Condon wrote:
> >
> > Hmm. Does Godwin apply here?
>

> ***FUCK*** Godwin

You've said this before. What's wrong with Godwin? What did he ever do
to you? Are you under the mistaken apprehension that Godwin's Law is a
binding rule of netiquette?

--
Woofbert <woofbert at infernosoft dot com> -- http://www.infernosoft.com
"As any discussion of the Macintosh progresses, the likelihood of someone

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: It's just too easy
Date: 21 Feb 2001 22:07:49 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <96slfb$60h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

:> Win98 is simply not secure enough to be used as a public Internet
:> server of any type.  Most people who try it end up with Back Orifice
:> or some other trojan, due to any number of exploits in Peer Web
:> Services or whatever it's called in Win98.  The most frequent symptom
:> of such an infection is . . . absolutely nothing.  Someone who "owns"
:> your machine does so for a reason, and does not want you to find out,
:> so he is not likely to leave a lot of clues as to his existence or his
:> plans.

: Bit difficult - this is a private web server behind a firewall. I doubt
: anyone even knows it's there.

No one inside your firewall portscans?

Not all threats live outside the firewall.

Joe

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Who said NT was stable !
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 22:07:58 GMT

Ian Pulsford wrote:

> I think what you mean is most webservers run apache, whether the
> majority run on Linux is another question.

And an excellent question, too -

The last brute force queso tests I've seen have
Linux with a very healthy percentage of the web
server market.

jjs