From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Amusing Aaron Kulkis Anagrams
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:39:54 -0500

meow wrote:

> I've been coming up with some anagrams of Aaron Kulkis name and i
> thought id share them with you
>
> Aaron Kulis = Miserable piece of shit
> Aaron Kulis = Toss Pot
> Aaron Kulis = Argumentitive fuck wit
> Aaron Kulis = Arrogant wank stain
> Aaron Kulis = Numb nuts
>
> thats all i have so far
> I think there surely must be some more
> Anyone got any others?
>
> Meow

See "L" below

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: 22 Feb 2001 21:33:09 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Parts of WWII. The Nazis had complete air superiority over the Soviets
: because they knocked out the Soviet air fields. However, the soviets had
: huge resources (and a nasty winter) to throw at the Nazis, so they
: eventually won. In fact if it wasn't for the commies we'd probably all be
: speaking german by now.

The germans also failed to take out all the airfields like they
thought they had.  The russians were experts at "muskrova" - the
word they use to mean roughly, "illusion and camoflague".  The
Germans wasted a lot of time bombing fake airstrips, with fake
buildings and aircraft.  The real airfields put the planes in
dug-out foxholes with tarpulins over the top covered with dirt,
so they didn't look like actual airstrips.  Granted, not a lot of
planes were saved this way, but enough were that the germans were
rather surprised when they kept encountering more planes than they
thought the russians had.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ohlsson)
Subject: Stability of 2.4.1?
Date: 22 Feb 2001 22:42:20 +0100

Hello,

How is the stability of 2.4.1 regarded? I have used it for 3 weeks
and have had only one strange incident that may have had something
to do with it; Sawfish stopped working for my accouont until I rebooted.
It still worked for root and other accounts. May have had something to
do with me running UAE, I suspect it fscked something up. It is very possible
this mishap could have been resolved without a reboot, but that solution -
if it exists - is beyond me.

<cautious mode>
I'm not saying this to bash Linux in any way, I'm just curious.
</cautious mode>

/Stefan
--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ]  ·  There will always be survivors - Robert A. Heinlein · []

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:45:37 -0000

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:07:35 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:47:47 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
[deletia]

>But still, the definition does not state anywhere about the necessity of
>multitasking to be there for it to be a "real" pipe.  The definition also
>holds for the temporary file used in MS-DOS.

        Sure it does. You're not redirecting IO to another process,
        you're doing it to a file and just doing a bit of sleight
        of hand to make it look like something different.

        A "DOS pipe" is just another name for temporary file.

--

        Freedom != Anarchy.

          Some must be "opressed" in order for their
        actions not to oppress the rest of us.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:49:12 -0000

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:10:53 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:972i60$jfu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > In other words, you're making up your own definition.
>>
>> No, I'm proving the requirments based on functionality
>
>No, you're making up your own definition.

        Unless you can point to something refered to as pipes
        that predate Unix, you're simply full of it. The
        concept was present in Unix earlier. Thus a Unix-centric
        view of the concept is not unwarranted.

>> > Try this under Unix (or any other multitasking OS) using the same
>> > program.
>> >
>> > program_that_never_stops | tail -n 10
>> >
>> > tail needs an end of file before it can know where to start.  So
>> > likewise, it doesn't work.
>>
>> No, that is an erroneous argumet. I have given as example of something
>> that does work with piping but will only work under a multitasking OS.
>
>No, you stated that in order for pipes to be "real" they have to work in all
>cases.  I just provided a case where it doesn't, just like you tried to

        "its an interprocess communications facility, but it only
        works with a certain set of restrictions"

        versus

From: "Seán Ó Donnchadha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:50:17 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> I suspect yes.  The fact that the OS doesn't read the multiple versions
> >> after instaling one of them picked more or less at random (depending on
> >> the first app run) is a very very eentsy teensy tiny itty bitty
flaw....

> >Your fact is utter bullshit, Ghost. Read up on the way Win32 DLLs work.
>
> In theory or practice?

In reality. Ghost's claims regarding how Win32 DLLs work is completely
false.

> A good facility is no good unless you actually use it.

Did you even read what Ghost said?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 21:55:20 -0000

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:12:03 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:47:47 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[deletia]

>reference.

>> >Should it?  Are you guessing?  Have you actually read this in the book?
>> >Simply provide a page reference.
>>
>> Chapter 1, 5th edition.
>
>I said a page reference.  You might as well be saying "It's on the internet
>somewhere", go look it up yourself, i'm too lazy to prove my own statements"

        No, that's rather more your line.

        The chapter in question covers design motivations for various
        classes of OSes. Personally, I disagree with their assesment
        of DOS but I can see where it came from.

        Historically, OSes have been built to more effectively exploit
        "expensive" computing hardware. This includes the development
        of multitasking in order to not make one's overpriced games
        console useless while utilizing only a particular part of the
        machine.

        A side effect of that is that you don't need to waste disk space
        equivalent to the total IO traffic of a process in order to be
        able to use piping.

--

        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:59:52 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:08:33 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Peter Hayes wrote:
>
> > > The recent laws in the UK were brought in as a result of Dunblane. If they
> > > have resulted in fewer loner nutters like Hamilton getting guns then they
> > > have succeeded in their purpose.
> >
> > But at the cost of how many OTHERS killed in "hot burglaries" (where the
> > residents are home), and gang-members shooting randomly in public,
> > because they *KNOW* that law-abiding citizens have disarmed themselves.
>
> "Hot burglaries" involving guns are  **extremely**  rare here, such that
> they are headlines on the nightly news.

Yet according to your own police, there has been a SIGNIFICANT increase
of them since the handgun ban.

Why is that?

> Gang-members shooting randomly in public are also extremely rare. In any
> event, even pre Dunblane 99.9999% of law-abiding citizens wouldn't be
> carrying guns anyway.

Regardless.  Criminals now KNOW that the ALL law-abiding civilians
will be unarmed.

It's the difference between a pretty good bet, and a sure thing.
Many people (especially cowardly criminals) won't risk their life
on just good odds...they want a sure thing.  And handgun bans
do exactly that.

> I repeat. What - hopefully - the legislation *HAS* done is to stop nutters
> like Hamilton.
>
> > > Criminals will get guns whatever legislation you put in place - they're
> >
> > And this helps the law-abiding populace how, exactly?
>
> Doesn't help or hinder.

Tell that to the 80-year old woman who is deprived of the right
to defend herself from marauding burglars in the middle of the night.

Here in the United States, criminals pretty much KNOW to leave
the elderly alone because grey-haired ladies have quite a
reputation for turning midnight burglars into coffin-stuffing.

> If anything, criminals bumping each other off saves on trial and prison
> costs.

None of which is hindered by allowing law-abiding citizens to carry
handguns, and to own firearms for the specific purpose of self-defence.

Idiotic English law.  If you stab an attacker with a knife, and tell
the police that you have the knife becuase you collect knives, then
you're OK.  But if you tell the police that you had the knife in
case you are attacked (A demonstrably genuine fear, in light of the
fact that you have, in fact, been attacked), then you get put in the
clink for defending yourself.

This is called a "double-bind"

You put someone into a situation where, no matter WHAT choice someone
makes, they are punished for being wrong (in this case, either go to
jail for taking adequate measures to defend yourself, or get killed
by a mugger).  The end result is insanity--specifically Psychosis.

I forget the source, but there was a part called "How to be a
Jewish Mother"

The mother gives the son a red tie and a green tie as a present.
The next time she sees her son, if he's wearing the red tie,
she says, "What, you don't like the green one?"

Alternatively, if he's wearing the green tie, she says, "What,
you don't like the red one?"

The only way out of this double bind is to act insane, and wear
BOTH ties simultaneously.

By the short-sighted, EMOTION-DRIVEN demand to ban handguns,
the British citizenry have placed themselves in just such a
double-bind.  You have been successfully MANIPULATED be
elements who fear the thought of the law-abiding public being
able to defend themselves from any and all attackers.

Now...you have to ask yourself....WHAT KIND OF PERSON fears
a law-abiding citizen who can defend himself?

>  Most legislation comes about as a result of irresponsible behaviour on the
> part of a tiny minority. Gun law is no exception.

No.  Gun law comes as a result of the massess becoming lazy and
expecting the government to protect them, rather than taking
responsibility for it themselves.

WHO will protect you from your protectors?

> --
>
> Peter
>
> 55°25"N  4°44'W

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows XP! Will it really be reliable?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:01:35 -0500

Ketil Z Malde wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >> This is entirely incorrect.  We've had 64bit data busses in PCs at least
> >> since the introduction of the Pentium.
>
> > The Pentium can only operate on 32 bits at a time. It has a 32 bit ALU.
>
> And?  The ALU size has *nothing* to do with bus sizes, which was what
> you were discussing in the article I responded to, and which you even
> quoted my quotation of!
>
> Also, the size of the ALU has *nothing* to do with whether an OS is 64
> or 32 bit.
>
> Additionally, modern descendants of the Pentium have various support
> for operations on larger data.

> >> This is also hogwash - a 64bit OS is probably slower.  What you
> >> probably
>
> > No, I mean a 64 bit OS at N Mhz will be faster than a 32 bit OS at N mhz.
>
> This is not correct, and what you wrote above is still hogwash.
>
> A 64bit OS will waste space on longer pointers, which will mean that
> more data must be transferred from memory, caches are filled up more
> quickly, and things in general will go more slowly.
>
> The only exception is if your working set is larger than a couple of
> gigabytes.  This is the case for e.g. medium to large database servers
> and number-crunching supercomputers, but not yet for average desktop
> use.

Which is why HP-UX gives you the option of running as a 32-bit OS
or a 64-bit OS.

> -kzm
> --
> If I haven't seen further, it is by standing in the footprints of giants

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:02:51 -0500

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>
> :> I wonder if we could have used that tactic at Desert Storm.....
> :>
> :> [.sigsnip]
>
> : Well, Actually, the  Iraqi soldiers started surrendering to camera crews
> : precisely because the A-10's and B-52's WEREN'T shouting "BANG!" out the
> : window.
>
> : From an interrogation of an Iraqi POW:
>
> : Interrogator:
> :       "Why did you and your friends surrender?"
> : POW:
> :       Because of the air strikes.
> : Interrogator:
> :       "There were no air strikes on your unit"
> : POW:
> :       Yes, but we SAW the air strikes against the Republican Guards
> :       units behind us.
>
> Has there ever been a war other than Vietnam in which air superiority
> was not decisive?

Um...American Revolution :-)
War of 1812.

I'm sure there are thousands of others.

Reminds me of a Saturday Night Live skit decades ago:

"What would have happened if Hannibal had a Piper Cub?"

> Joe

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 17:08:28 -0500

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>
> :> I wonder if we could have used that tactic at Desert Storm.....
> :>
> :> [.sigsnip]
>
> : Well, Actually, the  Iraqi soldiers started surrendering to camera crews
> : precisely because the A-10's and B-52's WEREN'T shouting "BANG!" out the
> : window.
>
> : From an interrogation of an Iraqi POW:
>
> : Interrogator:
> :       "Why did you and your friends surrender?"
> : POW:
> :       Because of the air strikes.
> : Interrogator:
> :       "There were no air strikes on your unit"
> : POW:
> :       Yes, but we SAW the air strikes against the Republican Guards
> :       units behind us.
>
> Has there ever been a war other than Vietnam in which air superiority
> was not decisive?

Germany's foray into Yugoslavia.
US/British bombing of Kosovo (part of Yugoslavia).

Basically, the effectiveness of air superiority is at its maximum
in flat, open desert terrain.

Conversely, the effectiveness of air superiority is at its minimum
in forested mountian terrain (like Viet Nam,  Yugoslavia, Switzerland,
parts of Spain, etc.)

> Joe

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.