From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:10:24 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> -hs- ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : To avoid the question "Why isn't it in radians as is the standard?"
>
> So, it is in radians. Now that I know about the "-lm" switch for the compile,
> I get to make a degree2radian conversion line to add to my code. Something
> off-topic is that the TI-86 calculator out of the box defaults to radians.
> (you set it to degrees)
>
> Here's a chance to correct (and flame) me. Last time I checked, a full circle
> is 3.1415926.... radians, that being pi number radians to equal 360 degrees.
> Time to add the conversion line to my little programme.

correct.  Pi radians = one circle.

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 02:02:23 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter
Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I then thought CUPS must be to blame, but from what you say it
> would seem to be GIMP, but how is it that some people don't
> have the problem?
>
> Peter
Well,

Steve Mading pointed out his configuration *always* filters
printer output, even if it is labeled raw. It appears that
different distros apply different filtering policies. I don't
what distro Steve is running (he didn't mention, or I missed it)
but I would consider that behaviour as broken, because if I
state that I want unfiltered output to my printer I don't want
my system to second-guess me and filter it anyway. OTOH, I
compulsively check out every option before doing something, so
my chances of getting caught by the Gimp's behaviour would have
been smaller than Pete's, although I dare not say zero.

Mart

--
There can be no twisted thought without a twisted molecule.
                -- R. W. Gerard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Pop)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: 25 Feb 2001 00:46:24 GMT

In <9790vd$4od$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking) writes:

>Here's a chance to correct (and flame) me. Last time I checked, a full circle
>is 3.1415926.... radians, that being pi number radians to equal 360 degrees.

It must have shrinked in the meantime.  It used to be 2 * 3.1415926...
radians back when I was in highschool.

Dan ;-)
--
Dan Pop
CERN, IT Division

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RTFM at M$
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:14:25 -0500

www.microsoft.com is DOWN again.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Mark McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig (was: Something Seemingly Simple.)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:13:56 +0000

On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:06:41 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>-hs- wrote:
>>

>> Are you awared that the recommend maximum length for a .sig is 4 lines?
>>

>Are you aware that this suggestion was formulated during the days
>before fiber-optics, when MFM and RLL were not even invented yet,
>and the ARPA-NET backbone had a 56k bandwidth and 20 megabyte disks
>were considered huge...

Are you aware that by posting a large sig you are wasting your and
other people's money, not to say bandwidth, and therefore causing them
to killfile you?

go away you jerk

*plonk*

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?
Date: 25 Feb 2001 01:17:40 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Could Linux be used in this factory environment ?

The canonical solution for this type of application is called "LAMP"
(Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP).  You write simple HTML interfaces in
PHP with scripting code to interact with the database.  Any Web
browser (on Linux or Win) can act as the client.

However, I agree with those who've pointed out that PostgreSQL is a
more powerful database engine and may be more suited for an inventory
and tracking application as opposed to MySQL.

These tools are fairly easy to learn.

Simple reporting can be done using PHP's ability to generate graphics
and PDFs on the fly.  You'll need to make sure these options are
compiled in, and you'll need some readily and freely available
libraries in order to do that.

Depending on the size and importance of the application, you also may
want to investigate learning some of the technologies for building
n-tier applications.  These would include application server
environments such as Enhydra, Zope, or Zend (based on Java, Python,
and PHP respectively).  They are harder to learn than a simple HTML
scripting environment, but can be used to build more powerful,
scalable and robust apps as well.

The reason I don't necessarily recommend a prepackaged application is
that those invariably need to be customized to your needs anyway,
which is expensive, and those types of systems may be less flexible as
your needs grow and change than would be a system designed and built
to your own specifications.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:21:06 +0000

> There are 2 pi radians in a full circle, so the conversion is pi /
> 180.0:
>
> double deg_to_rad(double degrees)
> {
>   return degrees * 3.14159265358979323846 / 180.0;
> }

It would be easier to use M_PIl as #defined in math.h

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart Krivis)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: 24 Feb 2001 20:26:43 -0500

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:27:01 GMT, Ziya Oz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Nick Condon wrote:
>
>> Let me start with some obvious non-proprietary innovations that I can come
>> up with in 10 seconds:
>>
>> TCP/IP (the Internet itself)
>> SMTP (the Internet mail server)
>> Usenet
>> Web servers
>> Web browsers
>> HTML
>> Domain name system
>
>Incidentally, how many of those are GPLed?

I don't think that any are. But I guess that's why they have been truly
successful - they are truly open.

Would TCP/IP have been as successful if it had been under a license like
the GPL instead of the BSDL?

--

Stuart Krivis

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:26:35 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marada C.
Shradrakaii" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>I can. Starting from the home computers of the early 80's, the amount of
>>power required has steadily increased. Bear in mind, thet the faster you
>>want to switch a silicon junctio, the more power you need to switch it.
>
> However, does that mean it will grow linearly?  As I recall, the
> standard home circuit offers about 120V, 15A (In the US)-- ~1800W.
> There will probably be some discontent when people need to rewire their
> houses for new machines.

Well, in the UK, we get 3000W out of a standard socket. You can also get
cookeer and heater sockets which provide 30A. Why not keep the main
computer in the utility room with the other high power stuff?

(assuming we all have remote access pads by then :)

Looking at it, though, I'm not convinced that they will use 10kW.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:27:29 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Brent R"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> <snip>
>> I can. Starting from the home computers of the early 80's, the amount
>> of power required has steadily increased. Bear in mind, thet the faster
>> you want to switch a silicon junctio, the more power you need to switch
>> it.
>
> Yeah but the power needed to make a 'flop' is much less as the process
> gets smaller and smaller.

True, but compare the power consumed by a 286 (pretty hot 16 years agi,
IIRC) to a P4 1.5 GHZ.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:29:44 +0000

>> I can. Starting from the home computers of the early 80's, the amount
>> of power required has steadily increased. Bear in mind, thet the faster
>> you want to switch a silicon junctio, the more power you need to switch
>> it.
>>

> Particularly for CMOS.

And Bipolar. You have junction capacitance in the CMOS transistor and
charge stored in the base to drive it in to saturation in the bipolar
case.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How much do you *NEED*?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 20:36:34 -0500

Jeff, Cochran wrote:

> >How many more examples are going to have to appear and go by to
> >convince you that Linux is the right choice for your business
> >and personal needs?
>
> >If your a Windows user you face the following things.
>
> >#1.  You have to pay for your software.
> >     The price of your software is going up all the time.
>
> I can afford to and am willing to pay for software.  Free isn't an
> issue.  Yes, I'd like to not pay for licensing, or not pay as much,
> but overall the licensing of the OS is a very small part of my budget.

But CHOOSING to do so, when compatible, similar (and usually BETTER)
office software is available for ***FREE*** is stupid

> Apps licensing, Microsoft Office, Exchange, etc. is a much larger
> part.  So far I don't see a viable option there.  And no, Star Office
> doesn't cut it.
>
> Proprietary software also often dictates my spending.  I have apps we
> need which require MS-SQL on NT.  So we buy MS-SQL on NT.  With a half
> million invested in apps such as these, switching isn't an option, and
> the cost of NT/SQL is a minimal protion of the overall application.
>
> >#2.  Your Windows OS is unreliable.
> >     You can break Windows by installing a driver which
> >     isn't ready for prime time.  Or how about just
> >     running your favorite app for too long a period of time.
> >     Just forgetting to reboot your machine every couple of days
> >     will cause it to crash.  And your paying for this insult
> >     to your intelligence..  That is a shame.
>
> This has not been our experience.  It may be true for others, but it

Most companies I know that "don't have that experience" have a large
section of people who do nothing but try to figure out what magic
combination of applications will work together without having any
DLL compatibility problems...

In other words...they DO have that experience....but have to WASTE lots
of money trying to limit that experience.

> doesn't work as an argument when it just isn't true in our instance.
> Besides, you're justifying Linux on the desktop with this, and it just
> isn't a desktop OS.  Sorry.
>
> >#3.  If your a developer for Windows, you end up having to join
> >     the Microsoft Slave trade.  You have to certify and then
> >     re-certify for your certificate every time Windows comes
> >     out with a new OS or new application.  Microsoft can
> >     DEEM your re-certification at *THEIR* whim!  And *YOU* have
> >     to *PAY* or loose your certification.  And even if you *PAY*
> >     and you *PASS* you can still be denyed your certification
> >     as Microsoft has the final right to revoke it without reason
> >     or cause.
>
> And I'd have 95% of the world's market available, as opposed to a few

Not any more.

> companies exploring the waters of a new OS in the shop and millions of
> Open Source junkies who wouldn't buy my application anyway.

You've never heard of the service-model, have you?

Sun GIVES AWAY Solaris 8...yet they still make lots of money.

> >#4.  Viruses in the form of VB scripts non-the-less!  Isn't it
> >     amazing that Microsoft Windows has been sucessfully attacked
> >     by over 100 different types of VB script viruses sent in thru
> >     E-mails and *YET TODAY* Microsoft Corp has yet to admit a fix
> >     needs to be installed to help prevent the damage.  They haven't
> >     even admitted it's a problem!  How incredible.  And your the
> >     stupid shit who's forking out the bucks for *THEIR* system...
>
> I have yet to be hit by a VBS virus.  In the real world, you protect

Millions of other people's experience has been otherwise.

By the way...when was the last time you re-installed LoseDOS.

Was it because of the system self-inducing registry degradation,
or was it due to a virus?  How do you know?  How could you know?

> your systems.  Except for the occasional rogue user who tries to
> install their kid's school project on their system, we don't get
> viruses.
>
> >#5.  .NET ---  .NET means that every peice of software you install
> >     on your machine from here on out will be reported and enabled
> >     via Microsoft HQ.  They will know everything you know on your
> >     machine with Windows XP and beyond.  I don't know a soul in
> >     North America who hasn't stolen Microsoft Applications at
> >     one time or another.  Some people have many stolen Microsoft
> >     Applications they borrowed from a freind, school pals, rich
> >     business millionaires who are too cheap to pay for licenses...
> >     All these kind people will end up getting a dick rammed up
> >     their butts so hard it will just make their heads pop off.
> >     What an incredible assfucking/jail time scenerio they are
> >     all headed for.  This is worse than cop killer rap.
>
> Wow!  No coffee yet?  That's a strong statement about an OS/Initiative
> that has simply been announced and isn't anywhere near implementation.
> It's also somewhat misinformed as well.  Personally, if a user is
> forced to pay for a product instead of stealing it, it doesn't really
> bother me.
>
> >#6.  Your OS is totally insecure.  If communist Chineese can
> >     steal all the source code from Microsoft HQ in Redmond,
> >     right under their fucking noses, then why on earth do
> >     you think your checkbook is safe?  I mean, they stole
> >     code from Microsoft for 4-6 weeks and were never discovered.
> >     This is because Microsoft Windows Security is so lame, hacking
> >     it is like stealing candy from a baby.  I hear people boast
> >     about how secure Windows products are every day.  I'd like
> >     to say that they are all dumbasses and don't know their asshole
> >     from a hole in the ground.
> >     Explain Why Redmond got ripped off for over a month and nobody
> >     heard a single alarm bell go off?  Microsoft HQ in Redmond...
> >     Why....  Do you think your better then they are?  If you are
> >     why aren't you writing a fucking OS?
>
> Nice try.  No OS is secure.  The administration of it is secure.  If

And Windows is the least secure of all.

> that's your argument, I'd be using BSD instead of Linux.
>
> >Linux is the exact opposite.  It's GPL'd so you can copy those CD's on every
> >machine you have including work without fear of being thrown in some prison
> >and owning somebody a 1/4 million dollars in fines.  It's uptimes have
> >been measured in years not days.  When an application dies in Linux the OS
> >doesn't crash, just the application.  Linux will run on hardware sucessfully
> >and for long durations where Windows 2000 can't even get installed.  Linux
> >is an extremely secure OS with patches for known security problems released
> >in timely fashions, ususally well within 2 weeks of being reported.
> >
> >You do not have to pay dues or be licensed to write code for Linux.
> >No one can steal Linux as it's the property of the world so it's less of
> >a target to attackers.
> >
> >And you are a total fool for continuing to use Windows.
> >Pull your head out of your butt today and use Linux.
> >
> >Because it's stupid to use Windows  ---- ANYWHERE ------
>
> You have the same useless rhetoric I've heard for years.  Linux is
> free, it's stable and it's secure, so you have to use it or or you're
> stupid.  I choose to use what I use based on real-world decisions, not
> ranting of some fanatic.  In the real-world, no OS is free, because
> the licensing of the OS is a minimal part of the budget, and the
> choice of OS affects many other parts of the system, all of which may
> increase or reduce the overall budget.  In the real world, no OS is
> stable or instable.  It's the applications that have this distinction.
> In my personal experience, stability has a lot to do with the admins
> running the system and far less to do with the OS programmers.
> Finally, security.  In our region, the FBI division handling breakins
> of systems lists Linux as the OS of choice for the breakin.  At a
> whopping 72% of the systems, compared to 24% for Microsoft OS's.  This
> is most likely due to innefective admins and the vast abundance of
> scripts for hacking Linux boxes, coupled with Linux being the OS of
> choice for most systems outside corporate firewalls.  Security is not
> a function of the OS, it's a function of the admin.
>
> I'm not anti-Linux or pro-Microsoft.  I run the best OS for the
> particular situation.  Which means Microsoft on the desktop

Your information is woefully out of date.

> exclusively, with servers being a range of Linux, BSD, Solaris, NT,
> W2K and OS/400.  When Linux offers better options than NT, I'll switch
> in a heartbeat.  While it's getting closer, it ain't there yet.  No
> matter what diatribes I see posted.
>
> You want me to switch?  Give me options that make sense in my
> environment.
>
> Jeff

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:41:11 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Brent R wrote:
>
>> Pete Goodwin wrote:
>> <snip>
>> > Because Linux's desktop has not caught up to Windows.
>>
>> Well, the Linux desktop is a lot cooler than Windows. It's a lot more
>> configurable, but that's IMO of course.
>>
>> My main problem with the Linux console is that it's not as attractive
>> as the Window's desktop.
>
> Well, let's compare apples to apples. The console is
> 80x25 text, but Linux also has a graphical environment.

Not so. The kernel will let you switch in to some text modes and
SVGATextMode will let you switch in to 1000's of modes ranging grom 20x7
to 160x64.

I'm running at 160x64 with a 16 pixel font (this requires editing the
source code for SVGATextMode since it doesn't allow for more that 1024
lines if you don't edit it). My graphics card has trouble handling such a
fast text mode dot clock, though (80MHz).

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which Linux?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:46:06 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marada C.
Shradrakaii" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Monkey Linux fits on 5 floppies, is designed to work with a 386/4MB has
>>X, netscape needs 20M ho HDD space and 10M swap.
>
> That was my first distribution.  The problem is that it runs on a UMSDOS
> partition, which is a major speed expense IIRC.  It does work fine,
> however.

If you had 2 partitions then you could install it on a UMSDOS partition.
Once running, create an ext2 partition and copy all the files over,
verbaitm. Then rerun LILO, setting your new partition as the root/boot
partition. Reboot, then shred the old UMSDOS partition, replacing it with
an ext2 one and use it for something like /opt.

If you have a lot of machines to install it on, it would probably be
quite easy to repackage Monkey Linux, making it use an ext2 partition.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:48:46 GMT

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Bloody Viking wrote:
>
> > Here's a chance to correct (and flame) me. Last time I checked, a full circle
> > is 3.1415926.... radians, that being pi number radians to equal 360 degrees.
> > Time to add the conversion line to my little programme.
> >

> correct.  Pi radians = one circle.

I could swear that should be 2 pi radians.

Rough check: 1 radian =~ 57.3 degrees

2 pi =~ 6.28

2 pi X 1 radian =~ 360 degrees

jjs