From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:37:42 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 15:57:35 GMT, Gregory Pietsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Edward Rosten wrote:
>
> >> Is there an official place where a definition of PI is meant to reside?
> >
> >No.
>
> How about in the trig functions:
>
> #define A_PI (4 * atan (1))
> #define B_PI (2 * asin (1))
> #define C_PI (2 * acos (0))

invoking a function call every time you want to use the constant "PI" ???
UGH!

> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: RTFM at M$
Date: 25 Feb 2001 22:40:16 -0700

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Said Craig Kelley in alt.destroy.microsoft on 25 Feb 2001 21:01:37

> >> No, but the ping wont get through, which will indicate a problem with the
> >> network, correctly so.  This is why MS *shouldn't* be blocking pings.
> >
> >Huh?  Why *should* they allow ICMP traffic?
>
> Because they want to allow IP traffic.  Most of ICMP is optional; ping
> is mandatory.  Without it, its fair to say that the host doesn't support
> IP.  Which is to say that, despite fortunate happenstance allowing some
> traffic to be supported, Microsoft is not connected to the Internet.  It
> doesn't take lack of diagnostic tools to explain why their network is so
> unreliable, of course, but it certainly doesn't help.
>
> >> The problem is that the RFC specifies that the IP stack implementation
> >> needs to honor echo requests, but doesn't specify (the pasted-onto-
> >> newsgroup parts anyway... I'm not going to read an entire RFC to post a
> >> paragraph) that all networks must allow this traffic.  Obviously, since
> >> the network is privately owned, they have final say on what is and isn't
> >> allowed on their network.
> >
> >Exactly, and if someone wrote a web browser that did an ICMP check
> >before going to a site, and if that browser became very popular, they
> >might change their policy.  As of now, though, the only reason to
> >allow ICMP traffic through a DMZ is to let kiddies quickly map your
> >network.  (not to mention the fact that Microsoft has problems with
> >coding good ICMP pakcets...  ;)
>
> This is the fallacy I've been trying to address, yes.  In point of fact,
> there isn't anything anybody, kiddies or otherwise, can learn about your
> network via ping that they can't learn in *every* other way.
>
> The idea of "ping-mapping a network" is a delusion, even if it did
> provide useful information to hackers, which it doesn't.

But it does, it quickly lets you discard all the machines that aren't
responding.  Otherwise you need to do some TCP ack or other, which
causes bells to go off all over the place if you misplace it at all
(wrong host and/or port).

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:43:32 GMT

Said . in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 26 Feb 2001 17:59:56 +1300;
>> > No, but the ping wont get through, which will indicate a problem with the
>> > network, correctly so.  This is why MS *shouldn't* be blocking pings.
>>
>> Huh?  Why *should* they allow ICMP traffic?
>
>To allow ping testing?  It'd be useful for:
>a) finding out if there's any chance MS's web server will be responding
>to your requests (ie: the web server could be maxed out on requests, but
>still answering pings... in this way, even though you get no site reply,
>you can at least tell the site is capable of responding)
>b) to test your OWN network, firewall rules, etc
>[obviously I don't think MS specifically should allow pings so I can test
>my network, but I do think everyone should allow pings for more or less
>that reason]

And this, precisely, was the thinking that caused them to make
supporting ping mandatory for all Internet-connected systems.

>> Exactly, and if someone wrote a web browser that did an ICMP check
>> before going to a site, and if that browser became very popular, they
>> might change their policy.  As of now, though, the only reason to
>> allow ICMP traffic through a DMZ is to let kiddies quickly map your
>> network.  (not to mention the fact that Microsoft has problems with
>> coding good ICMP pakcets...  ;)
>
>Heh...  I'm certainly not advocating every client do a ping to test
>connectivity.  Ping is there for humans to troubleshoot.  If the client
>was doing it for every request, it would just be stupid.

Actually, it would be a minimalistic way of verifying basic
connectivity, which might save vastly greater amounts of traffic from
being generated.  Sites might even be able to use the level of ping
traffic to provide a short-term mechanism for projecting the demand they
will have to support...

>As far as I'm aware, there's no real reason not to let pings through to
>your internet exposed hosts (unless you run a broken closed-source TCP/IP
>stack that suddenly fails when it has to reassemble some packets).

A very good point, quite clearly stated.

Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:45:45 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:979n2p$i5s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Brent R"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Edward Rosten wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> I can. Starting from the home computers of the early 80's, the amount
> >> of power required has steadily increased. Bear in mind, thet the faster
> >> you want to switch a silicon junctio, the more power you need to switch
> >> it.
> >
> > Yeah but the power needed to make a 'flop' is much less as the process
> > gets smaller and smaller.
>
> True, but compare the power consumed by a 286 (pretty hot 16 years agi,
> IIRC) to a P4 1.5 GHZ.

According to Gelsinger's presentation, the 286 was in the range of 2-3W,
whereas the current top end Pentium is close to 70-80W.

-- Mike --

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: M$ doing it again!
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:46:16 -0500

mlw wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > Those API's are not intended to be used outside of the kernel.  I can
> > reverse engineer the windows kernel too, doesn't make it any more
> > "published".
>
> I have a real problem with what you write sometimes. While we often have
> differences of opinions, you usually seem fairly reasonable, then there are
> times when you will create a paragraph as above. You can't possibly believe it,
> do you? You must say these outlandish things just to be an idiot.
>
> How can you say that open, "published," source code can in anyway be
> undocumented. In the linux kernel there is nothing that is undocumented, one
> can see every single API and what it does. Just because someone didn't dump the
> comments to a separate text file, does not mean it is undocumented.

Besides the fact that a function for use *EXCLUSIVELY* inside the kernal
falls OUTSIDE of the definition of APPLICATIONS PROGRAMMING INTERFACE.

> --
> The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time.
> The terror of their tyranny, however, is alleviated by their lack of
> consistency.
>                 -- Albert Einstein
> ------------------------
> http://www.mohawksoft.com

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:47:43 GMT

"Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 15:48:43 +0000, "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > In article <978e26$v59$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > wrote:

> > > That last part makes me doubt his predictions. I simply cannot see
much
> > > of a market for processors that require industrial power to be
connected
> > > to the back of the machine.... At least not a mass-market.
> >

> > I can. Starting from the home computers of the early 80's, the amount of
> > power required has steadily increased. Bear in mind, thet the faster you
> > want to switch a silicon junctio, the more power you need to switch it.
>
> Conversly, the smaller the fab process size the lower the voltage required
> to run the processor and the lower the current consumption. The power
> consumption of a 486dx33 made using today's fabrication techniques would
be
> miniscule, maybe just a few milliwatts. The 'dx33 was about the last x86
> series processor that didn't need cooling.
>
> But the trend towards smaller process size hasn't balanced the rise in
> clock speed, so today's chips need forced air cooling, and, for the more
> adventurous, liquid cooling.
>
> But I'd be surprised if a 30GHz, 1,000 million transistor CPU would
consume
> 10KW, maybe at .18 micron process, but trends suggest it'd be built using
> 0.04 microns, or something like that. Did Patrick Gelsinger take that into
> account?

Yes. All of his projections were assuming the processing that's expected to
be available in 2010.

-- Mike --

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:49:36 -0500

Byron A Jeff wrote:

> [...]
> -Fuck that.  Once again, you're penalizing those who work for the
> -benefit of those who mooch.
> -
> -
> -> >Do you have some particular problem with tax-relief being proportional
> -> >to how much taxes a person pays?
> ->
> -> Yes. You knew that was coming.
> ->
> -> Like many Democrats, I do believe in income redistribution.
> -                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> -
> - You misspelled Government-sponsered THEFT.
> -
> ->                                  I believe in it because income and net worth
> -> acquistion isn't fair.
> -
> -Says who?
> -
> -If you want to make more money, you are free to seek a whatever
> -form of work pays a higher income.
> -
> -
> ->                         I know you believe that if you work hard, you'll become
> -> rich, or at least comfortable. Those who do not or are incapable of raising
> -> their standard of living you have labeled as lazy or stupid in the past. But
> -
> -Other than the disabled, do you disagree?
> -
> -
> -> we are not all born into the same circumstance. We don't all have the
> -
> -So what?
> -Life's not fair.  And it never will be.
> -Deal with it.
> -
> -
> -
> -Let me work and KEEP MY MONEY, free to INVEST IT UNTAXED...and TAX
> -***ONLY*** that which I take from society (i.e. what I use up => sales tax).
> -
> -QUIT TAXING ME FOR WHAT I ***CONTRIBUTE**** TO SOCIETY.
> -
> ->
> -> So yes I do believe that taxation according to disposable income, or net worth
> -> should in fact be a bit unfair. so as to provide benefit to the maximum number
> -> of people, instead of benefitting a select few, who in fact need the benefit
> -> the least.
> ->
> -> So I do have a problem with any equal taxation (flat rate). Through exemption,
> ->
> -> It's about disposable income Aaron. Those who have it should give. Those
> -> who don't should get help. It ain't fair in your world view. But life isn't
> -> fair. Which is exactly my point.
> -
> -The only fair tax is every able-bodied adult pays the EXACT SAME AMOUNT.
>
> Well I started a point by point rebuttal, but my editor locked up. So here's

Really?

Do "those who have more pay more" for a pound of ground beef at the
corner grocery store?

> It's not fair, but neither is how
> those who have more got it, no matter how you try to deny it.
>
> That's my proposal to "deal with it." as you state above.

It's immoral.

> BAJ

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:50:57 -0500

Byron A Jeff wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron Kulkis  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> -
> -
> -Peter Hayes wrote:
> ->
> -> On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:20:43 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ->
> -> > Byron A Jeff wrote:
> -> >
> -> > > It's about disposable income Aaron. Those who have it should give. Those
> -> > > who don't should get help. It ain't fair in your world view. But life isn't
> -> > > fair. Which is exactly my point.
> -> >
> -> > The only fair tax is every able-bodied adult pays the EXACT SAME AMOUNT.
> ->
> -> But some are more able-bodied than others.
> -
> -Does your grocery store change they charge for food on the basis
> -of how much you earn?
>
> No but the govt. subsidizes the poor with food stamps and the Earned Income
> credit.

More properly called "Theft from those who get their ass up out of bed
and go to work each day"

> The govt isn't in it for a profit, but for the benefit of their constituents.
> They need not be fair about their practices when their practice has a higher
> overall benefit for all their constituents.

It's all about BUYING the votes of the lazy and shiftless, using
YOUR and MY money.

> But as I said from the jump, we agree to disagree, so this is my last post on
> the subject.
>
> BAJ
> -
> -

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:51:24 GMT

"Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:59:58 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > Peter Hayes wrote:
> >
> > > Conversly, the smaller the fab process size the lower the voltage
required
> > > to run the processor and the lower the current consumption. The power
> >
> > Voltage and Current are independant.
>
> V = I * R
>
> Obviously clock speed, number of transistors, how many are actually active
> during a given clock cycle, etc have a bearing on current consumption, but
> the general v=i*r premise holds.
>
> Else a 1GHz chip would require several kW to run it and the same again to
> cool it.

Actually, it's not I*R that's the concern here. Yes, you eventually
dissipate the power in the channel of a transistor, but the thing you have
to do during each cycle is charge capacitance. The lower the capacitance,
the lower the total charge stored. Charging and discharging the capacitance
results in charge transfer over time, which is current. That current
multiplied by the supply voltage is the power dissipated.

-- Mike --

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Maximum Linux Magazine Is Going Out Of Business  Ha Ha Ha
Date: 26 Feb 2001 05:52:07 GMT

Matthew Gardiner ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Hear! hear! I must agree.  The projected theory is becoming reality, can't
: remember the person who said it,  but the conclusion was made that although in
: the short term there are ALOT of distro's, the number will decrease to a small
: number,  in around 2 to three years time (depending upon market conditions,
: the main distro's left will be Redhat, SuSE, Debian and if MacMillian doesn't
: drop it, Mandrake.  Also the "bullshit" in regards to fragmentation, the LSB,
: or, Linux Standard Base will take effect, hence, major Software labels will
: write their software according to the LSB requirements, and, as a result,
: inter-compatibility between distro's will not be an issue, as the four major
: ones will already be compliant.

Mandrake, with the recent problems, could end up going extinct. There is a bit
of a cult following for Slackware, so it will be around but not a major
player. But for leading distros, Red Hat and SuSE are sure to be around.

What we won't see is much in the way of new distros becuse you have already
some big players.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:52:57 GMT

Said Amphetamine Bob in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 25 Feb 2001

   [T. Max:]
>> (as in MS's early ROM BASIC shenanigans) is illegal.
>
>What is this crap?  Never heard of it.

Didn't you know?  Bill Gates and Microsoft were pulling the same scams
they eventually 'perfected' with DOS, back in the days of ROM BASIC
interpreters.  They had a monopoly, AFAIK, on microcomputer OSes, even
before the PC.  Billy fished a public domain BASIC out of the trash at a
real program house, from what I've heard, and then started threatening
anyone who marketed a ROM BASIC with copyright claims after he put it on
punch-tape!  With that 'leverage', he got just about every microcomputer
manufacturer with any sizeable market to use his BASIC, no doubt with
super-cheap 'per system' licensing.  Since it was built into hardware,
the 'per processor' part wasn't much of a problem for OEM's until the
'cliff tier' pricing joined it in the MS-DOS days.

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:59:33 GMT

"Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Edward Rosten wrote:
> >
> > In article <978e26$v59$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > wrote:

> > > That last part makes me doubt his predictions. I simply cannot see
much
> > > of a market for processors that require industrial power to be
connected
> > > to the back of the machine.... At least not a mass-market.
> >
> > I can. Starting from the home computers of the early 80's, the amount of
> > power required has steadily increased. Bear in mind, thet the faster you
> > want to switch a silicon junctio, the more power you need to switch it.
> >

> what do chips currently use, say the PIII 900, in terms of power?
> P=IV    the lower the voltage the lower the power. Aren't chips using
> less voltage? Down to about 1.5 or 2.0 volts aren't they now?

Advanced processes that are available for design today (0.12 to 0.15
microns) are down to 1.2 to 1.3V. Leakage currents increase substantially on
these processes, but the bigger problem is that the number of transistors is
increasing drastically. The IA64 is over 200M transistors, the latest Alpha
processor is 130M transistors, and IBM presented a PowerPC processor that
contains 170M transistors. In contrast, the 80286 contained something like
100K transistors. So, even though the supply has dropped by a factor of 5,
the number of transistors has increased by 1700, and the clock rate has
increased by over 100.

-- Mike --

-- Mike --