  Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000? (Rich Teer)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:37:30 GMT

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 07 Apr 2001
18:32:39 -0400;
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said Roger Perkins in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 5 Apr 2001 21:18:13
>> >And there you go!  You finally figured him out.
>> >
>> >Roger
>> >AIRBORNE!
>>
>> Fuck off.
>
>that was pretty funny

Fuck off.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:37:31 GMT

Said billh in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 07 Apr 2001 21:02:45 GMT;

>"T. Max Devlin"
>
>> So "though shalt not assassinate" means murder is wrong but killing is
>> OK?  "Though shalt not slay" means the same thing?  Sounds more to me
>> like it isn't so much murder as killing of a human (as opposed to
>> killing a calf, which obviously isn't going to fly in the Old
>> Testament.)  Which is to say, it says "though shalt not kill", as
>> indicated, despite this linguistic quibbling that you use to try to
>> justify war.
>
>Read Exodus and Numbers.  God instructed the Israelites to wage war and kill
>entire populations.  The quibble is using one verse from scripture to state
>all killing is wrong, when in fact, use of that one verse of scripture to
>support such a position is wrong.

That's my point.  God's instructions did not contradict this verse,
though shalt not murder (kill), because God gets to decide who is human,
and anybody the Isrealites want to kill were simply excluded from the
definition.

The "quibble", as it were, is your misconception that this single
statement is the entirety of the argument for taking an anti-war
position.  It was merely the refutation of a single point of your
pro-war position.  Deal with it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 10 Apr 2001 16:37:39 GMT

Chad Everett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 10 Apr 2001 16:07:14 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>Well, I have these young good looks, but that's about it between
>>me and youth.
>>
>>You, on the other hand, are illiterate. I would be ashamed to post
>>in a public forum if I had such poor reading and writing skills.
>>

>I would be ashamed to post in a public forum if I were you.

Well, you can't account for taste.

>Your reasoning and logic skills are extremely poor.

Care to give an example?

>It's easy to
>make mistakes in spelling and grammer when posting.  It is much
>harder to make your idiotic arguments and deductions unless you
>really, truly are an idiotic moron.

Well, I am not sure what you are talking about, but hey, if that's
your opinion, killfile me and be happy.

>It is a fact of nature that when people have lost their debates and
>their arguments, they always change the subject by criticising
>things like reading and writing.   It's obvious (to all except you,
>of course) that you have lost the argument, big time.

Well, if you care look in billh's post for any trace of an argument
other than "You are immature", I'd love to see it.

Or in the previous post to which I replied, the argument seemed to be
"I am an army" and "you are a twit", hardly matters worth debating.

Perhaps something is disturbing you so much that you imagine I was
replying to a semi-rational post. I was not, and I replied in the
same terms.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:44:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:23:33 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Greg Copeland wrote:
>>
>> Knowledge Seeker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>
>> Didn't read all of your requiremnets, but EMACS is THE editor.  Like it
>> or not, it what all other editors try to be.  Period.  That doesn't mean
>> that it's for you, as it does have a rather steep learning curve, however,
>> it is THE programmer's editor.
>
>No, no, no, no, no.
>
>Ed is THE editor.
>==================
>http://www.billabong.demon.co.uk/ed.html
>

>When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi
>*and* Emacs are just too damn slow.  They print useless messages like,
>'C-h for help' and '"foo" File is read only'.  So I use the editor
>that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.

Good god man!  At least get yourself an ADM3A terminal and
a 300 baud.... :-)

[rest snipped]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- that's just so 80's
                    The Usenet channel.  All messages, all the time.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:46:33 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roberto Alsina
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 10 Apr 2001 14:47:05 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 04:58:52 GMT, Det2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On 6 Apr 2001 20:05:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>(Roberto Alsina) wrote:

>>>Why not? If someone's opinion is swayed by the words of Yogi Berra,
>>>I will quote Yogi Berra until I turn blue, if Yogi supports my position.

>>>Well, you are not an army, either. Even when you are IN the army,
>>>you are a person.
>>
>>I am too, I am an "Army of One"
>
>So, you are not a person? What a daring confession!

He's from .... France.

:o)

[rest snipped]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random mass quantities here
                    Yes, uptime & wall clock aren't in synch; I don't know why.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: 10 Apr 2001 11:38:53 -0500

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:53:12 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>WesTralia wrote:
>>
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>> >
>> > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>> > >

>> [...]
>> > >

>> > Personally, it's still my favorite type of programming...
>> > followed by microcoding.
>> >
>> > Because elegance and efficiency are closely tied at that level.
>> >

>> I think I am going to be sick!
>
>weenie.

Oh please give us a break!  What is more elegant and efficient?  This?:

int myadd( int i, int j)
{
        return i+j;
}

or this?:

myadd:
        save    %sp,-104,%sp
        st      %i1,[%fp+72]
        st      %i0,[%fp+68]

.L14:

        ld      [%fp+68],%o1
        ld      [%fp+72],%o0
        add     %o1,%o0,%i0
        jmp     %i7+8
        restore

.L13:
        jmp     %i7+8
        restore
        .size   myadd,(.-myadd)
        .align  8

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:50:46 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> You poor little fleeb, you have been OUTED!  LOL!
>>

>Yeah, just like Patton.

Kooklis has delusions of adequacy.  OUTED!

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:47:14 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, silverback
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:52:27 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >On 9 Apr 2001 11:41:31 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad
> >Everett) wrote:

> >>Hey...you just proved that the Nazi system wasn't capitalism. Thanks!
> >
> >actually I just proved that fascism is capitalism.
>
> Democracy can be the most terrifying form of fascism.
> That is why we're a republic.  Russia is also a republic;
> so was the USSR.
>
> I don't know how the USSR got its reps back in its heyday
> (probably selected by the Party apparatus in each home district),

The Communist party was the ONLY party allowed on the ballot,
thus, you could either vote for the party-appointed candidate,
or not.  Either way, since there was only one person running
for that seat in the Politburo, the exact composition was
known before the election.

> but at least ours are supposedly democratically elected.  (I say
> "supposedly" because of various incidents in our history, the
> most obvious one being in Chicago, where the machinery basically
> churned out candidates in smoke-filled back rooms, which the
> residents voted for -- some of them were dead residents, as well.)
>
> I will also note that capitalism can also be a form of tyranny;
> this is one reason we outlawed debtor's prisons.  Presumably,
> under pure capitalism, it would be perfectly legal (does legality
> had anything to do with it?) to execute someone who can't pay, or
> at least imprison him.  Admittedly, I'm not sure how our modern
> credit system fits into the pure capitalism model, and in any
> event, one can now either skip town and get a new identity
> (not horribly legal), or declare bankruptcy (which is a bit communist
> in that debtors can't collect their due; it's very hard on the
> declarer, however, as he can no longer get credit, either).

Personally, I think we need to bring back something *similar* to
the debtor's prison.  For those who aren't carrying their fair
share of the load....we'll provide housing, and work, in a state
facility. Those who want to leave...can save their earnings(*) (i.e.
prove that they have finally gained the proper skills to up
hold free-world responsibilities of a fully-emancipated citizen),
those who don't....send them to real prison...where they will
STILL be required to work, but all freedoms are sacrificed.

(*)Have credit counselors, etc. as part of the staff for those
   who truly want to clean up their act.

This is fundamentally different from the original debtor's prison
in which it was impossible to get out (how do you earn money in
prison?)

> A perfect market system would not include fraud.

That's what courts are for.

> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       4d:05h:12m actually running Linux.
>                     Use the source, Luke.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bill Gates Gets Hacked!!
Date: 10 Apr 2001 13:48:42 -0300

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:
>>
>> Don't you think you could have chosen a better place to post this
>> kind of information? This is a Linux advocacy newsgroup and this
>> has nothing to do with it.
>
> It's an example of *WHY* we advocate Linux...because Mafia-style
> monopolistic software vendors can't be trusted....not even by
> their own founder.

Perhaps we should concentrate in technical aspects of a GNU/Linux
system as well as the ethical aspects of free software.

In any case, however, I still think that the fact that someone stole
Gates' credit card number and used it to make Gates' wife happier does
not fit in this newsgroup.

Then again, I posted this morning when I was still a little, say,
sleepy so don't take it too seriously :-)

regards,

--
Roberto

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grant Edwards)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:52:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tom Almy wrote:

>Only for UNIX hackers. For the rest of the world, THE editor is
>TECO. What other editor handles paper tape so easily? TECO has
>withstood the test of time. Get it (free) here:

IIRC, Emacs was originaly a set of TECO macros, wasn't it?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I have a VISION! It's
                                  at               a RANCID double-FISHWICH on

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Baseball
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:54:28 GMT

Said *sunbird* in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 08 Apr 2001 03:01:31
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>
>> Ah, yes.  Always the "if".  "If" there's nothing else to blame it on,
>
>name any software that works if you install it on bad hardware or with
>bad drivers.  that IF is a reality of life.

Bullshit.  The "IF" which is a reality of life is IF it is monopoly
crapware, installed on good hardware with good drivers.  Get a grip and
learn to read.

>i have debugged a lot of trouble on NT systems.  usual answer is idiot
>set it up.

See what I mean?  Why is it that idiots have such trouble setting up NT?
Is Microsoft unaware of this frequent, even universal problem?  Why have
they not improved the product to make it less likely that the system
will fail, even on good hardware?  Are they simply incompetent?  Is NT
really just a bunch of crappy code and excuses enough to blame every
failure on somebody else?  Get a grip and learn to think.

>> despite NT's reprehensibly bad design and well documented deficiencies,
>> then and only then could you consider blaming Microsoft.  Guffaw.
>
>well documented deficiencies is a good thing.  no software is bugless,
>and knowing what the bugs are is the next best thing.

Guffaw.

>again, a real world concept from someone who knows what they are doing.

Guffaw.

>> >If it is the application only that is crashing, then that is an
>> >application fault, not an OS fault.[...]
>
>> I'm terribly sorry, I'm going to have to, at this point, declare such a
>> statement to be hopelessly naive, or a sock puppet fabrication.  A
>> crappy design of a platform is the platform's, fault, even when its
>> evidenced by the failure of applications on that platform.
>
>platforms are what they are.  i have many applications that manage to
>run on NT without what I would call difficulty.

Ooh-weeh!

>if some programmer cannot bother to read about the well documented
>difficiencies and take these into account when coding then it is most
>certainly the app writer's fault.

What if *most* programmers cannot seem to read the supposedly well
document bug reports listing all of the known (but maintained, after
all, wouldn't want to make MS change the product; that would violate
copyright, wouldn't it?) bugs on the monopoly crapware platform?

>again, no code is buggless.  know your platform and work with it.  not
>some blind ideal.

Guffaw. Spoken like a real putz, considering you're naive enough to have
selected NT.  You've blind idealism enough for both of us, it seems.

>or sit around and bitch because something isn't perfect.  and then of
>course you will fail to show me anything else that is.

Is isn't perfect?  Linux is isn't perfect.  Windows is monopoly
crapware.  Get a grip, then get an argument, then get back to me, if you
think you can handle it.  Talk to Erik; he had some interesting hardware
troubleshooting bits, until he killfiled me for pissing all over them
with the Real World truth.

Look, I'm *SORRY* that you're not bright enough to figure this out for
yourself.  Please don't get insulted, just listen to me for a moment.

I know what you're saying; you're just saying what I already said.  That
determining which fails in any instance, hardware or software, is a
herculean task, and ultimately nothing but an arbitrary exercise in
finger-pointing.  But for that *all* of the circumstance was different,
we could be perfectly sure the problem would not have happened.  But
there comes a time, after years and years, when it requires a rather
serious effort to purposefully remain stupid, as the statistics mount in
terms of the systems and platforms.  And to fail to notice that
"improper setup" (were you there to know that this is so, or are you
retracting history?) and "bad hardware" (have you gotten in down to the
broken chip, or would that hardware actually function perfectly fine in
another system, possibly even with a simple driver change, and why are
the drivers so frequently problematic to begin with?) are really just
handy boxes to throw "the platform fails routinely and often, but since
it is proprietary we are unable to troubleshoot the failures fully, so
we will merely do some arm-waving because we won't get good prices next
year if we point out how crappy Windows is;" that takes nothing but
cluelessness.  A cluelessness which, unfortunately, sometimes will not
be easily undone, even after years of watching Windows fail repeatedly.
This is statistics, the real world, not your pro-MS fantasy planet where
there are no anti-trust laws.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS and ISP's
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:50:21 -0400

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:29:10 -0400, JS PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Aside from your perception of Microsoft  being a monopoly, name a monopoly
> > that isn't government granted.
>
> I'm sure I can't because no matter who or what I name you will reply
> that it isn't a monopoly because it is not government granted.  You are
> defining a monopoly as something that is granted by the government,
> hence it is impossible for anyone to refute you with evidence.
>
> Your definition is at odds with the law, BTW.
>

> > > BTW, you do not have to buy power from your power company.
>
> > Guess what happens the instant I tell my neighbor that I'll sell him my
> > excess power?
>
> In at least some states you can sell excess power legally if it comes
> from a non-conventional source.  In some, the power company is
> obligated to buy it from you if you offer it.

Usually at the "wholesale" rate (what power companies charge each
other), not consumer rates.

But, that's fair.

> > > How can you say that with a straight face?  IBM spent billions on OS/2,
> > > MS spends billions on Windows, and Linux would have cost billions had
> > > it not been done by volunteers.
> >
> > And they can all spend a billion more but there's no demand.
>
> They did not spend the billions on marketing, they spent most of it on
> development.  You said the cost of entry is low.  I disagree.  You may
> or may not be correct that there is "no demand", but that is a separate
> issue from the cost of entry to the market.
>
> In order to compete with MS you have to offer at least the appearance of
> parity in features.  MS has spent years and billions of dollars
> developing those features, be they good or bad, and starting a
> commercial venture to compete with them would seem to require the same
> order of magnitude of investment.  Hence, there is a barrier to entry.
>
> > A billion isn't much.
>
> A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you're talking real money.
>
> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| Codem Systems, Inc.
>  -| http://www.codem.com/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
From: Rich Teer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:57:11 GMT

On 10 Apr 2001, Chris Croughton wrote:

> However, given that I live in the Real World(tm) where there exist
> Micro$hit and other broken mailers, and where not everyone is as
> enlightened and technically competant as you and I, I find it reasonable
> that when someone I know (like family, friends etc.) sends me something
> in a format which I depreciate I at least make an attempt to read it,

You're right - that's what I do - and then I ask them to send future stuff
in plain text.  But that's only people I know.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.