From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner)
Subject: Re: Linux--First Impressions from a semi-newbie
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:08:20 GMT

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 05:08:25 -0600, "Spicerun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Scott
>Gardner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> Hardware support is not as good as with Windows.  My AGP video card was
>> supported under X using the generic SVGA driver, but none of the
>> acceleration options were available.  Likewise, neither of my two
>> high-end sound card chipset were supported.  I've bought a used Sound
>> Blaster PCI 64 to solve that.  My modem isn't supported, but I didn't
>> know at the time I bought it that it was a "winmodem", so I can't blame
>> linux for this.  My biggest hardware gripe so far is that my network
>> card isn't supported under 2.2, but it is under 2.4.2. Problem is, since
>> I had to supply my RAID device driver during the initial of RH with
>> kernel 2.2, I can't incorporate support for my RAID card under kernel
>> 2.4.2, so for right now, I have to choose between my Ethernet card and
>> my RAID array.
>
>Please elaborate.  If you installed RedHat 7.0 (or greater) then it is
>kernel-2.4.2 ready...so you should be able to do what I have done, which
>is get the tarball of linux-2.4.2 and compile it.  As far as RAID
>support, I can't imagine that 2.4.2 wouldn't have the same driver (or
>enhanced) that it does for the 2.2 kernel.  Why wouldn't it work if you
>specify RAID under 2.4.2?  It should.  AFAIK, there are no drivers under
>the 2.2 kernel that are not already incorporated in 2.4.2.  Most of
>Redhat's enhancements to the 2.2 kernel (such as USB) are already
>incorporated in 2.4.2....in fact, Redhat just lifted those drivers from
>the 2.4.0 kernel and put it in with their distributed 2.2 kernel.

Support for my RAID card was *never* directly incorporated into the
2.2 kernel, and it's not in the 2.4 kernel, either.  What I originally
had to do was install RH 7.0 with the "expert text" option, and
provide a driver disk from Promise Inc. to add the functionality for
the RAID card.  This is what I was talking about in my original post
when I said I had to provide a device driver (from Promise) when I did
my initial install of RH 7.0.  I don't have the option of supplying a
device driver disk when I do a kernel compile of 2.4.2, so I have no
way to add the functionality for the RAID card.

Scott Gardner
LT    US Navy

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I will now perform a neat trick
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:11:58 -0500

Mike Martinet wrote:

> I really hate all these posts about Aaron's .sig.  I wrote a joke post
> about it a month ago which I delayed putting up until I got to know cola
> personalities a bit better.
>
> If I were to post it now, it'd just look like specious band-wagoning as
> opposed to the jewel of prescient wit that it was.
>
> Shucks!

He who hesitates is lost.

Conversely, Fools rush in where angels fear to tread
 *and* Look before you leap.

Conclusion: Trite phrases are useless in helping to come to the
        proper conclusion.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT vs *nix performance
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 21:57:38 GMT

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Amphetamine Bob
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:52:34 -0800
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >jjs wrote:
> >
> >> Jon Johanson wrote:
> >>
> > > Gee, and IBM has the money and has done TPC before and yet they
> >don't have a
> >
> >No, actually IBM has banned Windows 2000 for all internal use!  Yes,
> >it is true!
>
> Now that *is* a wild claim, albeit somewhat believable.  Is
> there a press release from IBM supporting this?  :-)

This is contrary to the press release that came out earlier in 2000
from IBM+Microsoft that said that IBM was going to be deploying
Win2K Pro to thousands of their desktops.

I can find the URL, I suppose, if you don't believe me.

I never heard anything about the server side, but IBM has a "dog food"
policy, so it wouldn't suprise me if they didn't allow anything other
than their own software on the servers.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:14:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Edward Rosten
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sun, 25 Feb 2001 11:04:39 +0000
<97aot2$90v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron Kulkis"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Reefer wrote:
>>>
>>> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
>>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>>> That would be u, using  a early 70:s OS like Linsux....
>>
>> Strange how every MODERN operating system keeps taking ideas wholesale
>> from Unix.
>>
>> And the only ones that are successful are those that implement the ideas
>> the same as on Unix.
>>
>> This is why Mafia$oft products fail.
>>

>Don't forget that 'doze is slowly becoming a UNIX. ( or trying to). I't
>now at the stage that UNIX was in in the 80's.

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, and there are a few differences.
For example, Unix in the 1980's didn't have gorgeous slowly
disappearing menus, lovely backdrops, and beautiful common file
dialogs with horizontal scrolling..... :-)

Why any serious engineer -- such as myself -- would be even remotely
interested in such gewgawgery is beyond me.  I'd be happy with
a simple popup; in a pinch, I'd settle for a command line and a
sheet or Web page of instructions, especially with modern CLI
innovations such as command-name and file-name completion and listing.

Side point: the memory management in Windows *is* an improvement over
1980's-era Unices, as far as I know; at that point, they were only
just starting to discover the joys of non-contiguous logical-to-
physical page mapping (the PDP 11/xx series had some nasty limitations
in said mapping; it only had 8 segmentation registers).

Mind you, that's not saying a whole lot; Linux started off with that
capability back in '94 -- and I'm not sure Windows NT even existed back
then.  (If it did, it hadn't been around that long.)

[.sigsnip]

                    You were expecting something relevant down here?

------------------------------

From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 11:17:47 +1300

> > (BTW, Office 95 was significantly better than Office 2000)
> >
> Care to elaborate Giuliano?  Interesting point.  Or anyone else have
> any opinions on this?

Office 95 - a couple of Y2K patches, occasionally crashes for no apparent
reason, no office assistant, unobtrusive and optional office sidebar (I
hated it, but I loved that fact that it would fucking STAY GONE, not like
the bloody paperclip)

Office 97 - two NON-cumulative service packs, still unreliable, office
assiSATANt, slower, often can't even INSTALL without introducing a couple
of screwups into the registry (regclean sometimes picks these up)

Office 2000 - I don't even want to start on this, IMO it is pure evil,
but let's just say 'compulsory registration' and leave it at that.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:16:21 GMT

>BTW, if you supplied an external RAID device driver under kernel-2.2, then
>you should be able, in most cases, to either supply the same driver to the
>2.4.2 kernel, or get an updated driver for the 2.4.x kernel.  What
>confuses me is that I have never found under RedHat's installation where
>you supply a driver for a device not already included with the
>kernels/distribution...all you do is just supply device parameters to the
>already included parameter.

When you first start the installation of RH 7.0, and you're at the
"boot:" prompt, if you type "expert text", and follow the directions,
you'll be asked if you have any driver disks you want installed.  I
told it "yes", and inserted the driver disk I downloaded from
Promise's web site, and chose my RAID card from a list.  Then the
installation continued as normal.  That was the last time I needed the
driver disk.  The functionality for the RAID card had been added to
the system, and the RAID array just showed up as /dev/sda.  I have
found no method for incorporating driver disks when compiling the
2.4.2 kernel, so when I'm done, I can boot off of the 2.4.2 kernel
with no problems, but it no longer recognizes the RAID controller
card.  When I try to mount sda1, I get an error message that the
device has an incorrect major or minor number.  Not surprising that it
wouldn't recognize the RAID array under 2.4.2, because if it doesnt'
recognize the RAID card under the new kernel,  it wouldn't recognize
the array connected to the card.
        Promise may or may not be working on a driver for the 2.4.2
kernel, but I still wouldn't know how to incorporate it into a
compilation of the 2.4.2 kernel.  If you are compiling a kernel and
not doing a fresh install of RH, how do you include the device driver
when you compile the kernel?

Scott Gardner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:17:12 GMT

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 11:11:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>(Scott Gardner) wrote:
>>"Install" routines for third-party software aren't as polished.  I've
>>installed StarOffice 5.2 with no problems, but Wordperfect 8.0 still
>>eludes me.  All the helpfile says is to copy the compressed file to an
>>empty directory, unzip it, and run the "Runme" file.  I did that, and
>>get a bunch of errors that directories could not be created or that
>>they weren't found.  Not what I'm used to coming from Windows.
>
>You probably need to su to root first.

Any difference between that and just logging on as root in the first
place, which is what I did? Remember, semi-newbie here...

Thanks,
Scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:19:19 GMT

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:24:07 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner) wrote:
>
>>All in all, if I had happened to have only hardware that was supported
>>under linux, I'd be in hog heaven.
>
>Yes.  If you cherry-pick components that are supported, you'll be
>fine.  Otherwise, you could be in for a nightmare.  They should put a
>big warning sticker on the outside of the box.

True.  Again, I'm not going to hold Linux responsible, since I
originally gathered together all of my components to build a Windows
system, not a linux system.  Had I known at the time, I could have
made a few simple substitutions and it all would have been supported.

Scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:22:48 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Reefer
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:40:10 GMT
<eoqm6.1646$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> Not even....plus it STILL has all of that baggage from DOS.
>
>'Ya talking about Win9X/ME?
>
>NT/2k has no DOS "baggage"...and that is the OS that Linux should be
>compared with...

Debatable.

While it is true that the OS kernel has no DOS code therewithin
(at least, not enough to inhibit its multitasking capability :-) ),
there are some interesting compatibility issues -- for example,
NT apparently has a registry switch that allows for NT to have those
lovely and well-thought-out [*] filename aliases, just like in Win95;
this switch means that one can use either 'Microsoft Works', or MICROS~1,
to access a certain object -- and it's clear that, at least in the early
days, a number of DOS apps had to run on NT.

(DOS apps are now run in a V86 "compatibility box", and probably always
have been -- even on Win3.11 and Win95.)

I'll agree that a comparison between Linux and NT/W2k/XP(Whistler)
would make some sense, since they're both multitasking, multiuser
(to a point), and multiprocessor-capable (again, to a point).
But Win9x and WinME are used by the vast majority, so a comparison
there would be valid as well.  (Note that Win9x and WinME do preemptively
multitask by and large, although there may be some issues regarding very
old Win16-apps -- but then, SOL.EXE doesn't take much CPU. :-) )

[*] I'm being sarcastic, of course.

                    The Usenet channel.  All messages, all the time.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:25:03 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > No, it's not Agent Orange...it's dioxin, a chemical used in other
> > products made at the same plant...which contaminated the military's
> > orders of Agent Orange.
> >
> > Without the dioxin contamination, Agent Orange is just as safe as Agent
> > White, Agent Purple, and all the other defoliants in use at that time.
>
> That is *not* correct. In the concentrations used Agent Orange contains
> enough mutagens do to damage.

And at merely 3x atmospheric concentration, oxygen is a poison which
will kill you in less than an hour.

> -ed
>
> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: //////////////|||||||||| Evidence Eliminator ||||||||||\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
                              .  5704
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:26:46 +0000

> I think I'm capable of fixing my own computers, thankyouverymuch.
>
> : When you access the Internet, your computer keeps permanent hidden
> : records of your activities!
>
> I'm wondering where this magical "hidden records" drive is mounted...

/mnt/.hidden_records

That'll teach you for not doing an ls -f

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:27:23 -0500

Richard Heathfield wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > Joona I Palaste wrote:
> > >
> > > And as much as you hate it, Aaron, I have the full right not to care
> > > diddly-squat about your Constitution.
> >
> > Doesn't bother me in the slightest, as long as you do nothing to
> > infringe my Constitutional rights.
> >

> Out of sheer curiosity, what will you do if he does? Invade Finland?

Not worth the effort.

Finnish girls are good, but the girls to the immediate west
are even better.

> --
> Richard Heathfield
> "Usenet is a strange place." - Dennis M Ritchie, 29 July 1999.
> C FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
> K&R answers, C books, etc: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:27:31 -0500

Richard Heathfield wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > Joona I Palaste wrote:
> > >
> > > And as much as you hate it, Aaron, I have the full right not to care
> > > diddly-squat about your Constitution.
> >
> > Doesn't bother me in the slightest, as long as you do nothing to
> > infringe my Constitutional rights.
> >

> Out of sheer curiosity, what will you do if he does? Invade Finland?

Not worth the effort.

Finnish girls are good, but the girls to the immediate west
are even better.

> --
> Richard Heathfield
> "Usenet is a strange place." - Dennis M Ritchie, 29 July 1999.
> C FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
> K&R answers, C books, etc: http://users.powernet.co.uk/eton

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Sphinx367" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc,alt.unix.alt.unix.geeks,comp.unix.sys5,comp.unix.sys5.r4,comp.unix.solaris,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.aix,csu.unix.aix,comp.unix.sco,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Breaking into the Unix field: FreeBSD vs Linux (RH7)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:27:34 GMT

I'm going to begin familiarizing myself w/Unix to ultimately become a Unix
system administrator. I've got copies of FreeBSD 4.4 (&Lite) and Linux
RedHat 7. I'd like to get some advice on a strategy to take to get into the
Unix Administration field.

Does anyone have any opinion/documentation on whether focusing on FreeBSD
would be better than studying Linux (RH or other form)? I'm interested in
focusing on Unix-oriented info that's applicable to the largest number of
Unix-like OSes, since there are so many of them out there.

Would it be a smart move to master the command-line commands, and then worry
about the GUIs later?

Are the commands in Linux pretty much the same as in other Unix systems,
like FreeBSD, Solaris, SVR4, SCO and AIX?

Any help/advice/websites would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bryant C Charleston
A+ Network + MCP MCSE (NT4)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:26:10 GMT

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:56:30 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner) wrote:
>>
>>>All in all, if I had happened to have only hardware that was supported
>>>under linux, I'd be in hog heaven.
>>
>>Yes.  If you cherry-pick components that are supported, you'll be
>>fine.  Otherwise, you could be in for a nightmare.  They should put a
>>big warning sticker on the outside of the box.
>
>I just bought a standard AMDK6-500 with a cheap motherboard (that came with a
>Winmodem) and every bit of hardware was supported. I didn't even check for a
>list of supported hardware.
>
>ian.

And ironically, going standard and cheap was probably what made your
life easier.  I assembled this computer from the ground up, and picked
choice components every step of the way (assuming at the time that I
was only going to be running Windows on it. My system has a very
tweakable motherboard, a 72X Kenwood CD-ROM that I can't even find in
the stores anymore, an HP CD burner, a scanner on a proprietary
half-scsi card, a winmodem (didn't know it was a winmodem when I
bought it, a high-end video card and sound card, the PCI hardware RAID
card, a USB keyboard, mouse, and printer, and a Pinnacle digital
AV/audio capture board.  Since I didn't have linux in mind when I
assembled the system, I'm honestly pleased that as much of my stuff
works as it is.  And judging from the differences just between the 2.2
and 2.4 kernels, I don't think it will be too long before all of it is
supported.

Scott Gardner