From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:13:20 -0000

> HURRAY CORE MEMORY!
>
> (too bad nobody uses it!)

Do you mean that old type of memory which used ferrite rings to store data
using
3 wires to address, read and write the data. I had one of these boards when
I was
training about 10 years ago (It had long failed to work by the time I saw it
though).
It was great fun looking at it on a microscope to see the individual rings.
Bit limited on storage space though - about 1k each side of a pc-motherboard
sized
PCB.

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows Owns Desktop, Extends Lead in Server Market
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:49:42 -0000

> Besides, how does anyone know Linux deployment figures? Its all silly!

Exactly - if for example NT sold 3x as many copies as linux then linux could
still
be used by 3x as many users as NT - 1 NT sale = 1 NT Install, 1 Linux sale
could
be anything between 1 and 200 Linux installs and that's ignoring Magazine
cover
giveaway versions and web downloads.

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:51:42 -0000

> Who cares?
>
> You're the weakest link, goodbye.

We could do with anne robinson investigating MS and telling everyone to use
Linux - everyone will be too scared of her to ignore her.

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ahem :)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:57:37 -0000

> Um.....what were we debating again?  :-)

Dunno but it is as useful as most of the other posts around here lately ;-)

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 13:50:46 GMT

"spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 01 Mar 2001 18:45:00 GMT, Chronos Tachyon
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >[Newsgroups trimmed, the CSS people are sick of this thread...]
>
> [snip]
> >
> >You get flamed and insulted because you didn't even read the very URLs you
> >posted as "evidence" in your favor.  If you had read them, you certainly
> >wouldn't be here ranting and raving like a lunatic about what amounts to a
> >single speck of sand on an otherwise smooth tile floor.
>
> Just by reading this paragraph I knew who you were refering to.

<sigh>

It's like no one actually listens to what I say. They're so foaming
at the mouth they pick out a few words and go on that.

I never said the links I posted were the end-all be all. It was merely
to illustrate that SSH IS NOT perfect and has flaws and there doesn't
seem to be a large effort by the SSH or OpenSSH folks to make sure
that people running SSH have the latest updates.

It is my opinion (and apparently that of other security folks) that
security software must be held to a higher standard and part of
distributing security software is ensuring that users always have
the latest updates and patches rather than just posting them
passively to a site somewhere.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: Bobert Big Bollocks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I am Bobert the Great!
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:16:17 GMT

I am Bobert the Great from the planet Bobertron
Bow before me!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Bos)
Subject: Re: [OT] .sig
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:03:59 GMT

Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Gergo Barany wrote:
>
> > Yes, and because that was the quickest way to get to France. The
> > keyword here is "neutral"; this part of the war was not due to
> > treaty obligations.
>
> Belgiums and Luxemburgs neutrality was guaranteed by several bi-lateral
> treaties. IIRC, according to those treaties, Belgium couldn't even do
> anything else but call for help to its allies.

True, but that there _was_ a war in Belgium in the first place was not
due to those treaties. In fact, it was a direct violation of them.

> The treaties themselves were remnants from the Napoleonic wars. Originally
> the Waterloo victors had "set up" the "Verenigd Koninkrijk der
> Nederlanden", composed of what would later become Holland and Belgium.

s/Holland/the Netherlands/. There is more to the Netherlands than just
Holland; calling us Holland is even worse than calling Great Britain
England. Don't do it, or I shall have to resort to calling you a Walloon
;->.

> The reason for this construct was to assure the neutrality of the estuaries of
> the great rivers (Rhine, Meuse and Scheldt). After the independance of
> Belgium in 1830, bilateral treaties were constructed between the new
> countries and the European superpowers to assure the continuity of this
> policy.
>
> This shows you that the paper treaties are written on is worth slightly
> more than the contents...

Though, mind you, the Netherlands managed to remain neutral in WWI. Of
course, as WWII showed, this was only because nobody _wanted_ to invade
us...

Richard

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:26:48 -0500

Richard Heathfield wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > Richard Heathfield wrote:

> > > You are claiming that Americans have a monopoly on idiocy?
> >
> > False premise.  I was talking about the other half of your
> > erroneous statement.
>
> You can't be. You have already made it quite clear that you are an
> American, and everyone reading this thread has already deduced that
> you're an idiot. There is no room for error in that half of the
> statement.

> > > I didn't say it was. Read for comprehension.
> >
> > Your failure to understand is not my problem.
>
> What have I failed to understand? The only incomprehension I have seen
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> in this thread has been yours.

This is why you fail.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:29:12 -0500

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> [snips]
>
> "Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Richard Heathfield wrote:

> > > <snip>

> > > There is no need (writes this Englishman) for clueful Americans to feel
> > > such shame. Idiocy is a truly international phenomenon. Mr Kulkis
> > > happens to be an American idiot, but there are also plenty of
> > > non-American idiots to go round.
> >
> > You are mistaken
> >
> > Understanding one's rights is not idiocy.
>
> It is one thing to have a right to free speech.  It's another to use it to
> behave like an ass.  Simply having the right to do so doesn't mean one
> *should* do so.

I am using my right to free speech for my purpose.

If that annoys you, so be it.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:30:23 -0500

Richard Bos wrote:

> Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Gergo Barany wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, and because that was the quickest way to get to France. The
> > > keyword here is "neutral"; this part of the war was not due to
> > > treaty obligations.
> >
> > Belgiums and Luxemburgs neutrality was guaranteed by several bi-lateral
> > treaties. IIRC, according to those treaties, Belgium couldn't even do
> > anything else but call for help to its allies.
>
> True, but that there _was_ a war in Belgium in the first place was not
> due to those treaties. In fact, it was a direct violation of them.
>
> > The treaties themselves were remnants from the Napoleonic wars. Originally
> > the Waterloo victors had "set up" the "Verenigd Koninkrijk der
> > Nederlanden", composed of what would later become Holland and Belgium.
>
> s/Holland/the Netherlands/. There is more to the Netherlands than just
> Holland; calling us Holland is even worse than calling Great Britain
> England. Don't do it, or I shall have to resort to calling you a Walloon
> ;->.
>
> > The reason for this construct was to assure the neutrality of the estuaries of
> > the great rivers (Rhine, Meuse and Scheldt). After the independance of
> > Belgium in 1830, bilateral treaties were constructed between the new
> > countries and the European superpowers to assure the continuity of this
> > policy.
> >
> > This shows you that the paper treaties are written on is worth slightly
> > more than the contents...
>
> Though, mind you, the Netherlands managed to remain neutral in WWI. Of
> course, as WWII showed, this was only because nobody _wanted_ to invade
> us...

Hmmmmm, is that a good thing, or a sign that thing really suck there....

Inquiring minds want to know.

> Richard

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:33:41 -0500

Nigel Feltham wrote:

> > HURRAY CORE MEMORY!
> >
> > (too bad nobody uses it!)
> >

> Do you mean that old type of memory which used ferrite rings to store data
> using 3 wires to address, read and write the data. I had one of these boards
> when I was training about 10 years ago (It had long failed to work by the
> time I saw it though).
> It was great fun looking at it on a microscope to see the individual rings.
> Bit limited on storage space though - about 1k each side of a pc-motherboard
> sized PCB.

You wanna know the most amazing thing about core memory...

Most of it was assembled in factories specifically set up to employ
blind people.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I am Bobert the Great!
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 09:34:48 -0500

Bobert Big Bollocks wrote:

> I am Bobert the Great from the planet Bobertron
> Bow before me!

Bow wow.

Go Fetch!

Good boy.  Sit!

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.