From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 17:25:41 GMT

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> jet wrote:
> >
> > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Blood pressure prevents this.
> >
> > Blood comes out of the urethra?
>
> No..it keeps the urethra tightly closed until forced open by exiting semen.

Sounds like a U-boat.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:20:05 +0100

In article <9e3i3m$p8u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Now, I have a big bone to pick with you. I was posting about
> price/preformance and scalibility and you blather on about market share to
> prove what? Nowhere did you address any of the points I made, save from
> making the statement that supercomputers are not an example of real world
> scalibility because you can't buy one in youre local shop.
> I think you are either unable to read or trolling.

What's the title of your post:

"Linux beats Win2K (again)"

And... you talk about "*real* world" computing.

That's what I was responding to, in case you hadn't noticed.

--
---
Pete Goodwin

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:23:38 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> For many people, Linux is more than good enough of a desktop system.  If
> it doesn't please you, then just run Windows.

For anyone who wants stoneage computing maybe.

> So, what exactly is a "good enough desktop system" by your standards?

Something that is better than Windows.

> Obviously, for you it means something that looks and acts exactly like
> Windows.

Please stop putting words in my mouth.

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:21:58 +0100

In article <9e3ed4$4dn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> You're still a goddamned retard, pete.  Few people care about Linux's
> relevancy on the desktop (with the exception of idiot, whiney windows
> users who in some leap of twisted logic appear to be able to convince
> other whiney windows users that they are superior because they do not
> understand linux), except perhaps KDE and Ximian.
>
> IBM isnt dumping truckloads of money all over linux to get it on the
> desktop.  No one cares.
>
> Please, for the sake of all that is good and pure, go back to windows.

Why thank you for that Linux-advocacy rethorical noise!

I was responding to the title "Linux beats Win2K (again)" and the
references to "*real* computing".

The desktop is about as *real* as you get.

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:27:57 +0100

In article <9e3i59$p8v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> And in the *real* world of scalibility and price/performance, where is
> Winows, pray tell?

I question your use of *real* world. How is it the *real* world when it
is a very small market?

If you said "And in the world of scalability"... your use of *real* is
as kind of 'hook', implying that anything else is somehow 'unreal' or
maybe even inferior.

> > Absolutely... nowhere?
>
> Absolutely... nowhere?

In the real real world, everywhere.

--
---

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: 18 May 2001 17:50:15 GMT

Jeffrey Siegal ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Lee Hollaar wrote:
: > That said, the practicality is that the copyright owner somehow needs
: > to find out about the creation of the derivative work to file suit.  But
: > that could be through other than its distribution, such as you bragging
: > about it to somebody who tells the copyright owner.  And even if there
: > is no actual damages to the copyright owner, statutory damages could
: > still be available.

: I would say that the most relevant real world situation where this would
: arise would be a business using a modified (without authorization)
: version of a program in their business. In that case, there might be

I find this to be interesting.  I think one can just use part of their code,
but change the ui.  All users know about is ui.  If you change that, which is
the easiest part to write anyway, but keep the engine, then you could pull
this off. The trouble is, that I couldn't get very far w/ this w/o source as
I don't do ML. Does anyone think they could pull this off?  Steal ie's base
and put diff pics on top, move the back button around or something and call
it your own?  Making a little window w/ menus is so easy, I can't come up w/
a decent rendering engine, though.

Not that I would steal anyone's code, either. Just a hypothetical.

Fred

------------------------------

From: Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 17:50:53 GMT

In article
<MqbN6.28554$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >If they did Microsoft would not find Java threatening,
> > >but they do.
> > >
> > >They are afraid they'll lose mindshare among developers;
> >
> > No, they're afraid they'd lose the application barrier among consumers,
> > just as described by Judge Jackson.  MS makes more on consumers then
> > they do on developers, Dan.  Doh!
>
> Weeeeeell...
>
> Jackson seems to think that the "application barrier"
> is a matter of compatibility; if that were true it would
> have fallen long ago. Products like WINE and Open32
> would be the threat. Java would of course be
> no threat, since Win32 apps can't run on Java.

Assuming that WINE or Open32 were viable options. They're not. They
don't work well and are too complicated for most users.

------------------------------

From: "spicerun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.be.advocacy
Subject: Re: Beos vs Linux
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:11:58 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dan Pidcock"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> I started off using netscape 4.7 for browsing but it is really just a
>>> pile of pants.  Uses up loads of memory, takes ages to launch, as soon
>>> as I have used it for about 10 minutes and have over about 6 windows
>>> it grinds to a halt and I have to kill it.
>>
>>It can be a pain, but its OK most of the time I find.
>
> I hate it with a vengeance.  Just as I have got all the web pages I want
> to read off-line Netscape hangs and I can't see any of them

I think I can start recommending Mozilla.  Version 0.9 is out and I find
it is more reponsive and stable than Netscape while doing a better job of
showing web pages.  I won't lie to you, it still takes as long as Netscape
to load up, but I have yet to see it crash like Netscape...and seldom have
I seen it lock up.  (Mozilla is now included in Redhat 7.1 and is included
in the latest release of Gnome).

BTW:  Java doesn't come with Mozilla...you have to download it separately.
Mozilla.org will try to direct you to the Netscape 6.0 java plugin,  and
I've found this to be buggy, and lately unaccessible for downloading from
netscape.  I found a java plugin from http://java.sun.com/plugin and used
the java plugin for netscape 6 from there, and have been pleasantly
surprised  (It is, for some reason, faster)....And I don't have to reload
the Java plugin every time I upgrade my Browser.  This plugin also
contains plugins for Netscape 4.x.

Good Luck.

(I hear the opera folks now...I've used the beta and it is a very nice
browser, but I don't like that they want me to pay for every copy I put on
every machine.  Makes it expensive for having a work copy, laptop copy,
and home copy....and I want to get away from the charge per machine
philosophy).

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win 9x is horrid
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:53:03 +0100

On Fri, 18 May 2001 14:06:33 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Pidcock)
wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2001 07:51:29 +0100, Peter Hayes
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 17 May 2001 20:30:54 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I think the goal here is not data collection, but the ability to tie a
> >> real identity to your machine.
> >
> >That's a pretty good reason to avoid XP like the plague. Unfortunately, in
> >a few years time 90% of consumer machines will be running XP, there being
> >no other choice within the Microsoft world, and your digital identity will
> >be as clear as DNA.
> >
> >Another motive is to stop piracy, so I'm told. Of course, within days of
> >the launch of XP, cracked copies, or corporate copies that don't require
> >authentication, will appear, if they're not already available. This gives
> >the lie to the anti-piracy motive,
>
> I have to disagree with you there.  This will stop the casual pirate,
> e.g. the person who has Win/Office at work and 'borrows' it to take it
> home for their own use.  They won't want to go hunting out warez sites
> for a >100MB download.

Every big city has its "Sunday Market" where for £15-20 you can get
virtually any mainstream software for the Wintel platform on CD, plus,of
course, Win98-2000. I suppose if they really want Windows-XP and/or
Offfice-XP they'll hunt out these stalls.

> OTOH this could be a bad move by MS.  How many people are going to
> shell out for Office XP ($400? it's £400 here) for their home machine?
> Office 6, 97 & 2000 have all been very popular and created industry
> standard file formats - helped I'm sure by a lot of illegal copies so
> that everyone must get the latest version so they can swap files with
> people.

I read somewhere of an AutoDesk executive quoted as saying "If they're
going to pirate, I want them to pirate our product" (3DSMAX), and of course
the reasoning is that the pirate eventually goes legit, and Discreet sell
another copy of MAX.

> >and reinforces my opinion that Microsoft
> >are looking for complete control over the desktop, a continuing monthly
> >subscription based revenue stream, and control over your data (remember the
> >fiasco recently over data sent via Passport servers, I reckon the mask
> >slipped for a moment).
>
> Data is maybe the most valuable asset for many businesses.  I read an
> article recently (QBS software news vol 11 issue 1) warning about
> ASP's and the fact that they would control all of your data.  If MS
> gets into that in a big way it will be scary.

I fear it'll happen by default, because nobody has the clout to stop them,
not even, it would seem, the DoJ, especially under Bush.

Peter

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 17:59:05 GMT

   Aaron> jet wrote:
   >>
   >> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
   news> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

   >> disease????????

   >> Obviously not.
   >>

   >> > You guys STILL have yet to demonstrate that homosexuality is
   >> > anything OTHER than defective behavior.
   >>
   >> Defective in what way?

   Aaron> nonproductive

Getting a blow job or going down on a woman is non-reproductive.

Is that too a "defect"?

Check your "logic".

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

------------------------------

From: "Seán Ó Donnchadha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 14:14:12 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Any text file is "a standard API-accessible address book".
> >
> >*Any* text file?
>
> Yes; any text file.  Create a format; define an API; viola.

So what's your point? That you can't do that in Windows? That you can't do
it in Unix? What?

> >So Linux apps lack "lack the access" to text files?
>
> Yes, because it is the job of middleware, which doesn't exist due to
> Microsoft illegal manipulation of markets, to provide such access.

You heard it here first, folks. Linux apps can't access text files, because
that's the job of middleware that doesn't exist. Brought to you by the mind
of T. Max Devlin.

> >> You think you need a special library to access a text file for a
> >> specific reason?
> >
> >You need a special library to access text files?
>
> You need APIs to access address books, according to you.

According to *ME*?

> Windows is monopoly crapware.  Repeat: Windows is monopoly crapware.
> Wanna hear it again?
> Windows is monopoly crapware.
> Just to make sure you know; Windows is monopoly crapware.
> 'Nuf said.

Aw, come on, Max. Don't you think you should rephrase that?

> Metaphorically, yes, because Microsoft makes operating systems, and
> Linux doesn't.  Get it?

Ah, but then why didn't you use your metaphor consistently and say something
like "Redhat is a secure OS; Microsoft isn't."? Or how about, "Linus
Torvalds is a secure OS kernel; Dave Cutler isn't."? Also, which one of
Microsoft's operating systems were you referring to as "Microsoft"?

> I'll spank a troll, but I won't spank a retarded person.

I knew there must be a reason why people call you "a kinder, gentler, more
compassionate psychopath".

> It's the only way you'll EVER be able to deal with me, believe me.

Sadly, I have to agree, now that I know what I know about your mental
condition.

> Get
> serious, and you'll have to admit you're a troll and I'm spanking your
> pathetic backside.

Sorry, I couldn't read that last part, Max. Perhaps my newsreader is lacking
the proper middleware to correctly access your post?

Guffaw.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:20:31 GMT

On Fri, 18 May 2001 05:32:37 GMT, T. Max Devlin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Don't you think it is interesting how "jackie tokemon" and flathead are
>the only two posters who have felt the need to pervert my name, T. Max
>Devlin.  Jackie, of course, does some sort of 'fag' permutation.
>Fishhead has come up with "T-Bone" recently.

I haven't paid for a name since 1995.

Deal with it.

Flatfish

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EXTRA EXTRA MS ADMITS!!!!
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:32:00 GMT

Michael Marion wrote:

> Charlie.. get it through you thick skull: HPs that you can buy today, and that
> have been sold since last Oct, are still using PA-RISC.. they are NOT using
> IA-64 yet.  IA64 isn't even out yet.

Oh.. and before you try to argue this point... we have a few J6000s that we
bought within the last month:
They are 9000 class workstations:
mmarion @ tset 1 [~]% uname -a
HP-UX tset B.11.00 U 9000/785 2002654975 unlimited-user license

Even HP's own web page on these machines talks about PA CPUs.. NOT IA64:
http://www.hp.com/workstations/products/unix/jclass/index.html

And from their Linux FAQ, updated 4/13/01
(http://www.hp.com/workstations/support/documentation/linux_faqs.html):
  HP has taken the lead with Linux development for the new IA-64
  architecture. At Linux Expo, HP presented a paper and
  demonstration on Linux running on IA-64 under a simulator
  (real IA-64 hardware is not yet available). HP will be working
  with other Linux partners to contribute this work back to the
  community.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Senior Engineer-Qualcomm-http://www.miguelito.org
Peter: "Oh my God! Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits.. it says,

------------------------------

From: worlok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 14:42:01 -0400

I use Linux as the host OS on my workstation here at work and as my main OS
on 2 of my home machines, while the 3rd runs Solaris 8 (it's a Sparc).  I
use VMWARE to run Win2k in a virtual machine, since my employer has sadly
used Exchange for mail, and we all know that MS won't ever make Outlook for
Linux ;-)

I am VERY happy with Linux as a desktop OS and think it is better than
Windows.  I use it for Office type stuff, internet stuff, MP3 ripping and
playing, scanning, digital picture grabbing, etc... I burn CD's with it
too.  What else could one want.  It makes me happy.  I get the most out of
my machines.

Now, I do still keep a W2k installation around for one thing.  Even though
I can burn CD's on Linux, Adaptec's EZ CD creator is the best for dragging
mp3's over to audio cd's in one operation.  It is hardly Linux's fault if
that program has no Linux version, however.

I haven't bought software at the software store in years, and I love it.  I
get to play with all kinds of great free software under Linux.  When I do
visit a CompUSA for hardware or for the heck of it, I can't help but laugh
at all of the people shelling out cash for programs.  I save my money for
hardware.

Oh, and even though there are more games all fo the time for Linux, I am
not a gamer, so that argument doesn't affect me.

Caio.

--Tom

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rather humorous posting on news.com commentry forum:
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 18:47:58 GMT

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Have you also noticed how these small businesses treat each customer as an
> individual, and are always willing to help someone out with a problem.
> Something the likes of HP and Dell need to learn about customer support.

Exactly...
I just ordered a digital camera and some accessories a few nights ago from
buy.com (never bought from them before), and I splurged for next day air (I'm
really impatient).  Turns out the order was split into 3 boxes, all of which
were picked up at the same time the next day.  Unfortunately 1 box didn't make
it past the pickup... and it turned out to be the camera itself (of course).
So now I have accessories that are useless until I get the camera.  I went to
their customer support area online, and they basically say not to bother
talking to them until it's at least 8 days overdue since UPS won't let a claim
go in until then... even though I paid for next day!

I think both of those companies (and especially UPS) need to learn some
customer service skills.  I can understand an 8 day waiting period for a
standard delivery, but not for next day (or even 2day) shipping...

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Senior Engineer-Qualcomm-http://www.miguelito.org
[Joe just pulled Antonio away from a beautiful woman he was talking to, to

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (quux111)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.be.advocacy
Date: 18 May 2001 17:21:34 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in news:9e3jqc$qcm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>>> It may suprise you to know that not everyone has an applications menu,
>>> and some of us wouldn't want one forced on us. But I take your point.
>>> It is possible with the aid of scripts to have one menu that gets
>>> applied to all the window managers, but no one seems to have done it
>>> well yet.
>>>

>> Debian does a pretty good job at this -- I've installed blackbox, icewm,
>>  and fvwm2, and the menus are all synch'd pretty well.  (The cool thing
>> is  that when I apt-get a new program, Debian automagically adds it to
>> my wm  menus!)
>
> RedHat did something like that, but only dor installing apps. When it
> came to customizing the menus, there was no such help.
>
> -Ed

I don't much like it when the OS takes it upon itself to muck with my
customized menu settings.  I keep a file called blacbox_menu in my root
directory, set up just the way I like it; Debian can mess with the blackbox
default menu all it wants.

Generally, I find that once I have my menu setup, I don't touch it
afterwards.  But then I tend not to install many new apps....

quux111