Linux-Advocacy Digest #648, Volume #32            Mon, 5 Mar 01 05:13:03 EST

Contents:
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: GPL Like patents. ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: definition of "free" for N-millionth time (Ken Arromdee)
  Largest Linux installation? (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
  Re: Mircosoft Tax (Dave)
  Re: definition of "free" for N-millionth time ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Something Seemingly Simple. ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/ ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: State of linux distros ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Windows Owns Desktop, Extends Lead in Server Market (Dave)
  Re: Hijacking the IP stack (Andres Soolo)
  Re: Sometimes, when I run Windows... ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Sometimes, when I run Windows... ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Sometimes, when I run Windows... ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: GPL Like patents. ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: I am Bobert the Great! (Bobert Big Bollocks)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: I am Bobert the Great! ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Sometimes, when I run Windows... ("Frank Crawford")
  Re: GPL Like patents. (Andres Soolo)
  Re: Sometimes, when I run Windows... ("Edward Rosten")

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 07:23:16 GMT

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> says...
> > It doesn't _require_ them, it _allows_ them.
> > You get to _choose_.
> > That is a _good_ thing.
> > Unless you are a _dumb_ user.
> > In which case: do _not_ use this O/S.
>
> Allowing the choice is just as dumb.

Huh?  Why should applications be forced to use
an inefficient and unnecessary intermediate
meta-data representation even if someone has
gone to the trouble of writing an optimized
driver for a specific device?    Allowing
a standard intermediate makes sense,  forcing
its use doesn't.

> > BTW, could you enlighten us as to how you came to the conclusion that
> > "every other OS" doesn't allow for per-application printer drivers? I'm
> > interested, because I'm quite sure you're dead wrong.
>
> I'm talking about drivers in general, not just printer drivers. What
> happens if you allow one application to drive the graphics and another to
> pick a different driver?

What happens if you put a steering wheel on an automobile that
allows the driver to turn it in the wrong direction?

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 07:32:59 GMT

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <97s4ec$5hp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > > The Gimp does!
> >
> > has != needs.
>
> And guess which drivers it used by default? Was it the OS ones? NO! It
> was its own! No wonder I got postscript printed as text!

Do you really not understand that postscript is the normal, standard output
representation for printers under Linux and the only thing going wrong
was the fact that the Gimp sent it with the 'raw' option which bypasses
the normal printer output filtering that converts the postscript to your
printer's format if it is not a standard postscript printer?

Copy that postscript file over to windows and feed it to the windows
printer output and see what happens.   You won't get it to work even
if you do have a postscript printer.    If  you go to DOS, you might
be able to get it through so it will print on a postscript printer.

Now set up your Linux printer with the filters that are normally installed
with most distributions, feed the file to lpr without the raw flag and
it will just work.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GPL Like patents.
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 07:45:07 GMT

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> Don't expect any sympathy if you want to use GPL software, for free, and
then
> charge for your changes. Why should you be able to capitalize on the work
of
> others without sharing in the cost? Anything less WOULD be communism.

Why should you be able to use the knowledge you gained in public
school in a job where you are paid?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Arromdee)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: definition of "free" for N-millionth time
Date: 5 Mar 2001 07:48:54 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
mlw  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In the GPL world, a person can share code with the world. Anyone can come along
>and use and improve this code. To do so, however, they must agree to share in
>the same spirit as the authors who created the code they wish to use. If you
>ask me, this is not unreasonable, nor does it infringe on any freedoms. One
>need not use GNU software at all. if you want to keep it to yourself, you are
>100% free not to use something with a GPL license.

All nice words, but the GPL is incompatible with most other *free* software
licenses as well as with proprietary ones.  Someone who wants to put their
software under another free license is certainly willing to share, but cannot
use code from GNU software.
--
       Ken Arromdee / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

      "Eventually all companies are replaced."  --Bill Gates, October 1999

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
Subject: Largest Linux installation?
Date: 5 Mar 2001 15:55:15 +0800

Does anybody know of any large organization(s) that are using Linux
extensively both for server function as well as for desktop beside the Linux
vendors themselves.  This would be a good reference for selling the idea of
Linux to enterprise and government.

Thanks.

Napi

------------------------------

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 01:07:48 -0700

On 4 Mar 2001 23:53:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Mar 2001 11:35:45 -0700, Dave wrote:
>>On 4 Mar 2001 15:42:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
>>>I'd argue that Windows is as eassy to install without tech support than Linux
>>>is with it.
>>
>>And I'd disagree. A lot of my friends and co-workers are getting into
>>linux, and since I was a bit ahead of them I usually end up helping
>>them select and install a distro. Mostly I stick with Slackware for
>>the techies and SuSE for the nontechies. Both these distro's have
>>given me fewer installation problems than Windows 9x. Average
>>installation time for Slackware plus roughly 300 applications runs
>>about 15 minutes.
>
>And how about configuration ? How long does it take the average newbie
>to configure dialup on Slackware ? Post-install configuration problems
>are the main difficulty for the newbie. How does the newbie install
>fonts ? My Font HOWTO is over 30 pages long (IIRC).

That's why I said I use SuSE for the non-techies. Setting up a modem
and configuring you networking in SuSE is no harder than Windows.
Maybe even easier. Setting up fonts and printer is also easy. System
administration is still a bit more difficult because, after all, linux
is a multi-user OS and Windows 9x is single-user, but anyone who can
handle Windows NT should be able to manage SuSE linux.

My only gripe with SuSE is that it's still rough in spots, and their
YAST setup tool is still a bit buggy and incomplete. From what I hear
the latest version is really smooth but I haven't actually seen it
yet.

>>It is true that linux takes significantly more skill to fix when an
>>install goes awry. However, when a Windows install fails on me the
>>only fix is usually a new piece of hardware to solve a compatability
>>problem, whereas with linux I can usually fudge the configuration a
>>little to get a workable system up and running.
>
>I agree that Linux is easier for a competent user to install, and there's
>a lot that you can do to fix it. For example, if Windows hoses the boot
>record, you can boot from a rescue disk and easily boot into the same
>system (with help from some mount and chroot) so that you can fix it.
>Most things can be fixed in Linux. OTOH, I've also had Windows installs
>that I just couldn't get to work.

That's why I prefer Slackware over SuSE for myself. One thing SuSE and
Windows both have in common is that they hide complexity so well that
the user's hands are tied if he needs to kluge around a problem or
wants to do something out of the ordinary. And in a way, it _does_
simplify life - either something goes well, or there's no way to fix
it so you don't have to worry about figuring out a fix!

>The main problem that newbies tend to have usually boils down to hardware
>support. They often need to download bleeding edge drivers to get it working.

I haven't really seen that problem with SuSE. If an exact match isn't
available then their install is very good at substituting lesser
drivers, and according to rumors their future installation routines
will be able to go to their FTP site for the very latest drivers.

Slackware doesn't seem nearly as comprehensive as SuSE on the driver
front, but I think that's because Slackware is big on proven stability
whereas SuSE wants to show off all the very latest features.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 08:17:51 +0000

>  Another thing that bothers GPL
> folk - that money can be made from the sale of software.

Which is why the FSF (used to) sell their software on tape.
-ed

--
                                                     | Edward Rosten
                                                     | u98ejr@
             This argument is a beta version.        | ecs.ox

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 08:23:30 +0000

>> > Be honest now: how many megabytes of that code have you improved?
>> > Has
>>
>> That is not really relavent. Once in a while I modify a program.
>> Sometimes I just look at the code to see what they did.
>
> Of course it is relevant if you are going to make the claim that every
> outdated binary must always be accompanied by equally outdated source,
> adding to the cost of every distribution whether anyone wants it or not.

It wasn't outdated what I bought it, it was brand new.

>> > it really been too much to download over a modem?   Besides, what you
>>
>> Nothing is too much to download over a modem in theory. But when I'm at
>> home, I have one (metered) phonline shared between 4 people. Long
>> downloads aren't that fesiable.
>
> Should that be someone else's problem or your own to solve?

Until BT get off their collective arses and get round to installing DSL,
there is precious little I can do about it that is within my budget.

Not everyon has unmeterd access, you should realist that I am not unique.
USA is NOT the world.

>> > But you aren't judging freedom at all.  You are judging how well the
>> > situation meets your own demands.    Freedom does not involve
>> > reducing the possible ways you can use a piece of code that anyone is
>> > allowed to obtain.
>>
>> No, you're judging freedom by one standard. I'm judging it by a
>> different one. Remember there is no such thing as full freedom for
>> everyone, which is why anarchy does not work very well.
>
> The GPL consists only of restrictions.  It does not relate to freedom at
> all. If it did, we might see some evidence that it was needed to
> maintain open access to freely available software, yet instead there is
> a vast amount of evidence to the contrary with code under the bsd,
> artistic, X, and similar licenses.

It is another form of free licenses. I'm getting bored of going in
circles. There is more than one way to guage free.

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 08:25:54 +0000

> That's a bit like saying "You are allowed
> to drive as fast as you feel like in the US", without mentioning the
> qualifier "In Montana, during the daylight."

Csn you? I sem to remember speed limits there?

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 08:28:05 +0000

> : If they can ficure out how to grow diamond crystals, and make
> : semiconductors on them, that would solve a lot of problems since
> diamond
> : has 10 times the thermal conductivity of copper.
>
> Those chips would REALLY be gems! Faster chips can be had with gallium
> arsenide and other exotic materials. A diamond chip would be VERY
> costly, as  you'd need to be able to manufacture gem-grade diamond
> wafers. It's not likely  to happen any time soon - or ever.

Diamons suffers the same problem as GaAs: no native solid oxide. Pity
since it is really useful.

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 08:32:10 +0000

> In the case of successful companies like IBM, who is BTW larger than
> microsoft, nobody begrudges them their current successes, but a few
> decades ago they were indeed hated, because they engaged  in
> anti-competitive behaviours which were similar to, but not as blatant as
> what we see from microsoft.

But unlike MS, IBM has had some *real* innovations in its time (such as
the hard disk, etc)

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Windows Owns Desktop, Extends Lead in Server Market
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 01:29:49 -0700

On 4 Mar 2001 22:33:45 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking) wrote:

>Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>: Bloody Viking wrote:
>
>: > Sadly, the virus coder fuckwits are helping the Linux cause, and a deregister
>
>: What's so sad about that?
>
>The sad part is that the virus coders are criminal in nature. We can sure use
>advocacy, but these loose cannons we can do without. I'm all in favour of
>Linux, but the end does not justify the means that virus coders have chosen.
>There is such a thing as a moral high ground, and that is more important than
>advocacy of virus coding.
>
>That said, I have to admit that the concept of a future "deregister" virus is
>pretty funny. Given the Windows security holes big enough to drive a carrier
>battlegroup through, the virus is inevitable. SOME fuckwith will code it, with
>or without virus advocacy.
>
>: If M$-users suffer from EXACTLY what we have been tirelessly warning
>: them about...well, then *FUCK* them.
>
>Easy to get that attitude. (:

Been thinking along those lines myself. I despise Windows, I despise
Bill Gates, yet here I am helping people with their Windows problems
so they can go on using Windows and Bill Gates can go on making money
while I can go on offering free tech support so he doesn't have to
work quite so hard for his bucks.

There's something wrong with this picture. :-(

------------------------------

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.misc
Subject: Re: Hijacking the IP stack
Date: 5 Mar 2001 09:08:04 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Ian Pulsford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Er, I don't follow the logic.  How do you exterminate open source,
> sneakily delete from every ftp server and harddisk?  Solaris didn't
You convince all the people keeping the servers that the software is
worthless.

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Unless you love someone, nothing else makes any sense.
                -- E.E. Cummings

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sometimes, when I run Windows...
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:08:42 +0000

>> Also, unlike Xterms, dos boxes can't be resized and they scroll very
>> slowly.
>
> Yeah, I hate that.
>

>> If that wasn't bad enough, there seems to be no sloppyfocus option.
>
> This can be fixed by something called "FeelX" or "XFeel" or some such. I
> think I found my copy on microsoft.com someplace.

I have never understood why MS refuse to ship basic config tools with
their produch.

>> There are programs which let you do this, but none are as flexible or
>> useful as the pager in fvwm(2).
>
> Look for multidesk.  It seems to work well and it stays more out of your
> way than some of the other ones I tried.

Can you drag items from one desk to another like you can on and off the
pager in FVWM2?

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:11:36 +0000

In article <97v8a8$aei$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Steve Mading"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : With Linux I can feel the restraints of too many toolkits and the
> : ugliness of multiple window managers all straining to get their
> fingers
> : on me.
>
> Too many choices are restraining! Freedom is slavery! Oceana is at war
> with Eurasia. Oceana has always been at war with Eurasia!

Microsoft is doubleplusungood.

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:14:20 +0000

> There are about a billion apps released on Freshmeat that do a minor
> task relatively well, but on their own or even in reasonable company are
> not sufficient. So as a result you need 10 apps to do the job of one
> program in Windows.

I find that a good. Thing. A big app designed to do one thing can do one
thing. A collection of tools that together can do the same can also do
many oher things. A collection of useful, general purpose tools is more
versatile than a monolithic app.

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:20:34 +0000

In article <7uHo6.9915$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Les Mikesell"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>

>> Don't expect any sympathy if you want to use GPL software, for free,
>> and
> then
>> charge for your changes. Why should you be able to capitalize on the
>> work
> of
>> others without sharing in the cost? Anything less WOULD be communism.
>
> Why should you be able to use the knowledge you gained in public school
> in a job where you are paid?

Because you earn money and conrtibute back taxes. Esentially you
eventually pay for the services.

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: Bobert Big Bollocks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I am Bobert the Great!
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:24:56 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> On Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:16:17 GMT, Bobert Big Bollocks
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I am Bobert the Great from the planet Bobertron
> > Bow before me!
>
> Been fiddling with daddy's computer again?
>
> Now run along, mummy's got your bottle ready for your next feed.
>
> Peter

I dont use a bottle i suck on her titties

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:24:34 +0000

In article <LiHo6.9914$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Les Mikesell"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <97s4ec$5hp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> >
>> > has != needs.
>>
>> And guess which drivers it used by default? Was it the OS ones? NO! It
>> was its own! No wonder I got postscript printed as text!
>

> Do you really not understand that postscript is the normal

No he doesn't. I've tried to explain, but have met with no success. Save
your breath.

-ed

--

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:25:25 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bobert Big
Bollocks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > I am Bobert the Great from the planet Bobertron Bow before me!
>>
>> Been fiddling with daddy's computer again?
>>
>> Now run along, mummy's got your bottle ready for your next feed.
>>
>> Peter
>>
> I dont use a bottle i suck on her titties

Does that explain the size of your bollocks?

-Ed

--

------------------------------

From: "Frank Crawford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 09:50:30 +0000

>>> I side with Donn on this one. Click to focus is just plain ugly.
>>
>> When I run Linux, I get this closed-in, claustrophobic feeling... how
>> does that relate to "click to focus"?
>
> I find click to focus really cramps my style. I have to keep everything
> small (hence the claustrophobic feeling:) so that when I type in one
> window, I can see wha is in the others.

What? You don't *have* to click to focus! You can have KDE behave exactly
like Win * if you want.

Keep everything small? I think one of the best things about GNOME (or KDE
for that matter) is that you can get multiple desktops & as much virtualy
workspace as you want. This means I can run as many full screen apps at
once without having to click on a silly little task bar. I believe you
use ALT-TAB to switch windows in win *; in linux you can set up a 3x3
virtual workspace and deliberately go to any given app (without
repeatedly hitting ALT-TAB).

And of course this works so well because the kernel's multi-tasking
is so superior to win NT *. (yes there were questions over 2.2.x but
2.4.x just kick's ass. example:

www.zeus.com

- held world record for fastest webserver. They were running linux
2.2.x. They improved their world record by 85% using the 2.4.(2?) kernel.

eighty five percent.  And they already held the record over everyone
else. (partiularly M$ IIS on win2K who tried their hardest to regain some
face in the webserver wars, but couldn't convincingly beat apache)

------------------------------

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 5 Mar 2001 09:55:59 GMT

Les Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Don't expect any sympathy if you want to use GPL software, for free, and
> then
>> charge for your changes. Why should you be able to capitalize on the work
> of
>> others without sharing in the cost? Anything less WOULD be communism.
> Why should you be able to use the knowledge you gained in public
> school in a job where you are paid?
There's a difference.  You (or your parents) pay for your public school
education through taxes.

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I smell a RANCID CORN DOG!

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 10:07:45 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Frank Crawford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> When I run Linux, I get this closed-in, claustrophobic feeling... how
>>> does that relate to "click to focus"?
>>
>> I find click to focus really cramps my style. I have to keep everything
>> small (hence the claustrophobic feeling:) so that when I type in one
>> window, I can see wha is in the others.
>>

> What? You don't *have* to click to focus! You can have KDE behave
> exactly like Win * if you want.

I think you got my point backwards. I don't like the enforced click to
focus in Win*. I'm an ardent FVWM(2) fan.

> Keep everything small? I think one of the best things about GNOME (or
> KDE for that matter) is that you can get multiple desktops & as much
> virtualy workspace as you want.

Yep. With fvwm I have 2 virtual screens each have 2x2 real screens worth
of space (Ie, 8 virtual screens).

> And of course this works so well because the kernel's multi-tasking is
> so superior to win NT *. (yes there were questions over 2.2.x but
> 2.4.x just kick's ass. example:

I have a single CPU, 2.2 is just fine..

-/ed