From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Linux Joke
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:13:14 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> Releasing an alpha compiler for an obscure/rarely used language is okay,
> releasing an alpha compiler for a language as important as C++ ...

The gcc 2.96 compiler is not alpha, it's fully funtional and fully supported.

jjs

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 17:18:36 -0500

Anonymous wrote:

> aaron wrote:
> > Anonymous wrote:

> > > now you know why i usually don't read your messages
> > >                     jackie 'anakin' tokeman
> > >
> > > p.s. windows is a pretty cool operating system
> > >

> > Only in comparison to DOS.
> >
> > Compared to anything else, Windows is comparable to a Formula-1 body
> > slapped on top of a Ford Pinto with a sand-injection oil system
> > and water-contaminated brake-lines.
>
> amiga: dead
> beos: fringe
> mac: fringe
> os2: dead
> next: dead
> unix: user hostile
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Microsoft propaganda.  Unix has had fully functional GUI's since the mid 1980's.
Not only that, but Unix is very very very consistant; in contrast, DOS and Windows
both have lots of arbitrary rules with even more exceptions.

> windows: mainstream user friendly

Random system crashes are the ULTIMATE in user-hostility.

> you were sayink?
>                     jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> more even than death
> - bertrand russell

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart Krivis)
Subject: Re: Linux and QA
Date: 10 Mar 2001 17:20:03 -0500

On 18 Feb 2001 22:44:50 GMT, Nigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Why spend money on Mandrake 7.2 - it can be downloaded as an ISO image
>from their website ( the same way you are getting your new slackware
>distro).
>
>The only reason to buy any distro is to get manuals and support (or if you
>only
>have a slow or expensive net connection), otherwise you may as well just
>download the ISO and burn your own (or get a magazine distributed distro).

This isn't an answer to the original question, but there is one reason
to buy a packaged distro... to support the developers.

If you really like Mandrake, it might not be a bad thing to pass a
little cash their way. They've done a lot of hard work and deserve
something for their effort.

Yes, there are a lot of developers who deserve this, but there is no
direct mechanism to reward them. (And some may not want a monetary
reward.) The best way to do this is to tell an author when you like
their work. Drop them an e-mail and tell them how it's made your life
better, even if it's only in a small way.

My list of people to thank would cover pages. I have been able to thank
some of them, but there are just too many. :-)

Time is the one thing in this life that we don't have enough of. There
are a lot of generous people who have given us their time (or the
products thereof). Almost all of them are willing to spare a bit more to
help out if you have trouble.

Yes, there are some really nice people in the world. Thanks to all of
you - you know who you are.

-sgk

--

Stuart Krivis

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 00:28:50 +0200

"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>
> > Releasing an alpha compiler for an obscure/rarely used language is okay,
> > releasing an alpha compiler for a language as important as C++ ...
>
> The gcc 2.96 compiler is not alpha, it's fully funtional and fully
supported.

It's not production, and should not go into a production release.
Which is why the GCC people were mad at RH.
You want to get GCC 2.96, cool, you can.
It would've nice of RH to include that an *non default* compiler.
It's stupid to put non production compiler into a production release.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 17:38:01 -0500

Anonymous wrote:

> aaron wrote:
> > Anonymous wrote:

> > > now you know why i usually don't read your messages
> >
> > ....must be why you read this one.....
>
> what's your iq?

IQ score?  I have no clue.  What I do know is that throughout my entire
scholastic career, I consistantly scored at or above the 98th percentile,
and as high as the top 0.5 percentile on a test with 0.5 percentile accuracy.

According to  http://www.eskimo.com/~miyaguch/combnorm.html

This translates to a 133 (for the 98th percentile score) to
141+ (for the "top 0.5 percentile" score.

However, these tests were not specifically constructed for
differentiating at the extreme upper end, so precision
of these scores are unreliable..all they can really say is
"some place above X, which is the upper limit of accurate
assessment for this test".

>                     jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> more even than death
> - bertrand russell

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Dividing OS to groups.
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:48:14 GMT

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 22:58:43 +0200, Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

|"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
|<Snipped because I tend to be overly pedantic sometimes >
|
|I'm interested in the division that you did.
|Anyone care to help me complete a list of OS with groups?
|
|Unix-based:
|Solaris, Linux, *BSD, HP-UX, AIX, Irix, Unicos, Unixware, MacOSX
|
|VMS based:
|VMS
|WinNT line.
|
|Dos based:

Since CP/M came first, shouldn't this section be

CP/M Based:
|Ms-Dos
|Dr-Dos

PcDOS

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 17:44:15 -0500

Scott Gardner wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Mar 2001 10:09:35 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Army has similar regs.
> >
> >They should amend the regs to say that if you pass the body-fat
> >percentage calculations by a certain percentage, then you're just
> >EXEMPT from having to do it again for 12 months.  (Obviously, if
> >you're doing whatever combination of work-out routines and physical
> >labor to get such a physique, there should be no need for the
> >fucking paper pushers to get alarmed that the same guy who is
> >***ALWAYS*** off the height/weight scale due to extreme muscle
> >mass is...lo and behold...off the h/w scale yet again.
> >
> >Fucking bureacrats.
> >

> >> Scott Gardner
>
> I'm not going to ping on the bureaucrats too much, because in his
> case, he now either goes to the same person for measurements, who
> understands his situation, or he just opts for the pinch test, the
> electrical resistance test, or the submersion test, all of which
> immediately make his low body fat apparent, and the hassle ends there.
> Scott

Regardless, if a serviceman has a 10-year history of being in excellant
physical condition, such that his high muscle mass fucks up his
stats on the height-weight scales, they should just designate the
serviceman "extremely physically fit" and eliminate the bodyfat
percentage calculation if he's passed it within the last 11 months.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart Krivis)
Subject: Re: Great, Apple patents Themes
Date: 10 Mar 2001 17:46:24 -0500

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 11:47:00 +0000, Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Patent overview:
>>  "Systems and methods for providing a user with increased flexibility

>> (goes off shaking head in disbelief)
>>
>> Adam
>

>This is absoloutely unbelieveable. Surely it won't stand up, since theming
>has been used for several years now by other people.

I can sort of understand Apple's position on this. They spend a lot of
effort on something like the iMac or the Aqua interface; then everyone
else copies it.

You have to protect things ferociously, or you lose. (Kleenex is a good
example. They fight a constant battle to protect their trademark.)

A person who cobbles together an Aqua theme for KDE or Windowmaker and
gives it away for free is different in spirit from MS releasing Windows
Aqua, but the first may enable the second.

Steve Jobs doesn't sit down and work out how to protect Aqua. He hands
that task to Apple's legal department. The lawyers then try to figure
out how to use the legal system to protect Apple's work. The end result
may leave us shaking our heads. :-)

The legal systems of the world are full of injustices, but sweeping
changes tend to favor the few at the expense of the many. Small,
incremental changes usually lead to smaller injustices and the
possibility of fine-tuning things so that there is less and less
injustice.

Does it really always work that way? No, not in our imperfect world. But
a perfect world wouldn't need a legal system. :-)

--

Stuart Krivis

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Customising Wrap-Up Screen. (WAS: "It is now safe to shut off your
computer")
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 15:46:16 -0700

On Sat, 10 Mar 2001 00:31:52 -0800, "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>"Mike Martinet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> Bloody Viking wrote:
>> >
>> > I just got done customising the Windows 95 wrap-up screen, the "it's now
>safe
>> > to turn off your computer" screen. It now says:
>> >
>> > It's now safe to type "mode co80 and light off UNIX, the OS Bill Gates
>hates!
>> >                             GNU's Not UNIX!!!
>> >
>> > Thanks! That was after a few hours of quality coding time working on a
>pet
>> > snail billpay proggie in C on Linux. For what it's worth, Linux IS UNIX
>in my
>> > book, it's a GNU freeware UNIX.
>> >
>> > Ah, the pleasure of having the OS of Big Iron on a PC. UNIX is the OS of
>Big
>> > Iron computing, and while we may enjoy it on our boxes, it will always
>be THE
>> > OS of Big Iron. How could anyone pass up the chance to play with an OS
>like
>> > Linux, a PC freeware UNIX? Maybe some of us are hackers (in the good
>sense of
>> > the word) after all. (:
>> >
>> > --
>> > FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
>> > The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
>> > The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your
>bloodstream.
>>

>> Oh man.  You said it.  I'm just a geek I guess, but I can't get over
>> watching Linux (rarely) boot.  No pretty clouds while you sit and wonder
>> what's going on, instead, real ASCII text describing everything the OS
>> is doing as it comes to life.  It means business.  The real deal.  I
>> still can't believe getting all this for almost nothing.  I continue to
>> be amazed.  I wish I'd found it earlier.  I sound like a cult member.
>>
>> "Big Iron OS on a PC"  That about sums it up.
>>
>> My W95 shutdown screen, ever since I figured out what LOGOS.SYS was:
>>
>> I'm down,
>> I'm really down.
>>

>> MjM
>Now if you can re-program the BSOD to say "Help! I've fallen and I can't get
>up!"

Old practical joke: Swap the shutdown and startup screens. Great way
to confuse users and annoy busy system administrators.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart Krivis)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Breaking into the Unix field: FreeBSD vs Linux (RH7)
Date: 10 Mar 2001 17:55:37 -0500

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 00:48:05 GMT, Paul Colquhoun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>True, from a lawyers perspective. Linux has (almost) all of the POSIX API's
>and is closer to most mainstream Unix varient (such as Solaris) than BSD is,
>from a SysAdmin perspective.
>
>This is mainly to do with the startup sequences, and how starting additional
>software at boot time is handled.

"Linux" does not have SysV inits. Some Linux distros do. I haven't
looked at Slackware in a long time, but it used to be a BSDish system
with a Linux kernel and a GNU userland.

RedHat feels more AT&Tish, as does Debian. However, there are still
significant BSDisms in Linux. Even Solaris has some BSDisms by heritage.

Unixware is probably the best example extant of an AT&T SysV Unix. It
has the most "pure" bloodline in many ways.

--

Stuart Krivis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.microsoft.sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Computing Power to Peak SOON! (WAS: Moore's Law, continued...)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 23:06:38 GMT

In alt.destroy.microsoft, Bloody Viking
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 10 Mar 2001 20:38:21 GMT
<98e3bt$nmg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>The Ghost In The Machine ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
>: As another dumb question: I take it the alcohol doesn't change physical
>: state while warming up (cooling down the chip), unlike, say, ammonia
>: or other such refrigerants.  (The thought of a computer having a noisy
>: compressor doesn't really thrill me, admittedly... :-) )  Or does it?
>: Alcohol evaporates rather rapidly...
>
>A booze cool system would be like the water cool system in that no phase
>change occurs during normal operation. Why I'd choose a booze cool system is
>becuse booze will be less ruinous in a leak than water. As far as the booze
>tax, I would pay up in a case like this. Actually, you would not want
>denaturants in a CPU cooling system as they could make a leak more ruinous
>than already the case.

Considering the amount of refrigerant I would think would be required
(at most, a few cups), it's a small price to pay.  As far as the
denaturants, I don't know what they are, but presumably those would
be the items leaving deposits on a board should there be a leak.

>If you want phase change refrigeration, butane is easy to get as well as
>R-134a as used aboard cars now. For non-phase-change, booze can be cooled
>below 32F by whatever external refrigeration mechanism. The only hazard of
>booze cool is that booze is flammable.

Heh...personally, I don't know what I want, as I'm not the one going
to rev up the chip -- but at some point, this is going to be one of
those issues that will either have to be solved, or the chip melts
at 10 GHz or so -- and considering the state of software, everyone wants
computers to be cheaper, faster, more intuitive, backward compatible,
and consistent. :-)

(Side note: IIRC, Crays used liquid helium at one point.  Or maybe that
was another supercomputer.....?)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- at least one wouldn't have to pay booze tax -- but it's
                    a lot harder to chill helium down to 4 deg. Kelvin :-)