From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:26:33 GMT

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Not the least of which is this one:
>http://www.biznix.org/surveys/

Alright!  Thanks for pointing me to www.biznix.org.  I really
enjoyed this article that was on their site:

Comparing Linux to Windows

Linux is reliable
The Blue Screen of Death doesn't exist in the Linux world. Linux
systems, just like Unix and NetWare, can run for years without failure.
Operating system crashes (called "kernel panics" in Linux) are rare - many
Linux users have never seen a crash. ZDNet's test of
Linux vs NT showed that Linux simply does not fail.
Linux reliability and its small
memory footprint are reasons why numerous
experiments
on the NASA space shuttle are based on Linux.

Linux runs on your existing machinesThe efficiency of
Linux and most Linux/Unix applications allows you to use nearly any
machine. A typical web server or file server can be a 486 or low end
Pentium class PC. Running graphical applications (such as office suites)
is more than acceptable with 150 MHz Pentium class machines. Better yet,
you don't need to plan on new PC purchases every few years. Machine
requirements change very little with each successive version of Linux.
Rather than spending money on new computers every few years, put the money
in the employee profit share plan.

Linux is free and requires no costly add-ons
You can download Linux from the Internet and install it
on as many machines as you like. The same is true of most application
software. You may find it more convienient to purchase a CD-ROM of a Linux
"distribution". Most Linux CD-ROMs cost between $20 and $50.
Email and newsgroup servers, remote administration tools, C/C++
compilers, high-end graphics programs, SQL servers (all costly add-ons
for Windows machines) are included at no charge with Linux
distributions

Support?
Linux is the best supported operating system of all time. The reason is the
Internet. You can get help from tens of thousands of enthusiastic Linux users
and programmers. Support is free - the answers you get come from people who are
not paid to help you. You'll hear about solutions to your problems that
include dumping what you have and replacing it with something better - advice
that you don't hear from vendors.

Linux has no Registry
When Microsoft introduced the Registry in Windows 95, it was applauded
as being a mechanism that brought order to the
chaos of the Windows 3.X "ini" files. At the time, we had no idea that
the Registry would be such a handicap and get in the
way of effectively managing networks of Windows machines. The Registry
makes managing a Windows machine complex and difficult and is known to be
responsible for some reliability problems. In retrospect, the "ini" files
were not so bad now that we've tasted the Registry. Linux is managed by
simple, plain text, easy to troubleshoot, configuration files.

You don't need to restart LinuxChange your Windows
machine's IP address and you have to reboot the operating system. Most
Windows configuration changes require a reboot. This limits system
maintenance to off hours or impacts productivity. Reconfigure a NT file
server during the day and you impact everyone. Nearly all Linux
configuration changes can be done with the system running, without
affecting unrelated services and without having to reboot. Reconfigure a
Linux server and users may not notice.

Linux has no SIDsCloning Windows NT systems is made
more difficult by the SID (system identifier) that must be unique between
machines. Linux has no need for system identifiers. Each Linux machine is
distinguished by its name and IP address. Both of these are easily
modified by editing plain text files. Cloning Linux machines is dead
simple.

Linux has no licensing mechanismUpgrading Windows software
is often made more difficult than it should be by licensing. The licensing
schemes vary but the result is that you have to jump through hoops to install
or upgrade software. Linux and its system programs have no licensing mechanism.
No hoops.

Privacy issues
Every few months or so it seems that there's yet another
of a Microsoft product that behaves in a way
that raises concerns about our privacy. We don't have these concerns when we
use Linux and Open Source software because functions that would violate our
privacy would be detected when the code is scrutinized by an army of Linux
enthusiasts.

The GUI is optional
Windows carries its resource-intensive GUI baggage around at all times.
Yet, some systems, such as web servers and file
servers, do not need a GUI and don't benefit by it. The Linux GUI (X Windows)
is an optional subsystem that you can choose to use or not.

All versions of Windows suffer from the same problem -
disk fragmentation
significantly reduces performance. Even Microsoft's hottest new version of
Windows - Windows 2000 - uses a file system that has fragmentation problems
just like the early 1980s vintage DOS. An NT file server must be defragged.
frequently. The native Linux file system is designed to fragment very little
and defragmentation programs are unnecessary.

Who's in control?
With NT, users can easily hide files and whole directories from the
system administrator. The administrator could be left wondering about
diminishing free disk space and almost powerless to do anything about it.
In contrast, the Linux system
administrator always has an unobstructed view of the file system and is always
in control.

One size fits all?NT is a "one size fits all"
operating system. You can use it for workstation or server applications -
one application or many. The problem is that NT's size is always
extra large and getting substantially larger
with each new release. Keeping code size small
and efficient is not a Microsoft concern given the number of
Easter Eggs that have been discovered in
Microsoft applications.

Linux is small by comparison and has no Easter Eggs.
You can easily reconfigure the Linux operating system to only include those
services needed
for your application. This reduces memory requirements, may improve performance
and generally keeps things simpler.

Linux is multi-platform
Windows is limited to Intel and Alpha processors and only certain machine
architectures such as PCs. In striking
contrast, Linux and other Unix-compatible operating systems work on a wide
variety of processors and machine architectures - from a Macintosh to a
mainframe.

Linux uses open protocols
Linux uses open protocols exclusively. There are no proprietary vendor
protocols that try to lock you in to
certain vendors and products. Monopolies need not exist in the Linux world.

Linux integrates with NetWare
Linux machines can access your NetWare file servers.
Novell's eDirectory for Linux makes managing a
large network of Linux machines downright simple.

Linux integrates with Windows networks
A Linux machine can act as a client and/or a server in a Microsoft
Windows-based network. This includes a Windows 9X
peer-to-peer network as well as a NT-based network. A Linux machine
can emulate a Windows server and some say that it
does a better job of this than NT.

Linux integrates with Macintosh networksA Linux
machine can provide print and file services to Macintosh clients via
native Apple protocols.

Linux is a good career moveIf you spend your time
becoming an expert in NT, you're acquiring skills that may not be useful
when you change jobs or when your company replaces NT with the next
fashionable platform. Memorizing which icons to click on and how to plug
NT security holes are skills unique to NT - these are not generic skills.
In sharp contrast, learning Linux or Unix gives you a strong grounding in
the underlying technology that will be useful no matter what products will
be fashionable in the future.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:26:44 GMT

Said Les Mikesell in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Fri, 23 Mar 2001 03:01:43
   [...]
>However,
>if you just paid a large amount for custom programming for
>something unique to your business, would you be inclined to
>give copies away to your competitors?

There is absolutely no reason why you should, even if every bit of it is
GPL'd.

>> > Nothing in the GPL prevents, for example, a small circle of
>> > friends from voluntarily hoarding the latest version of
>> > something they are developing,  or a consultant from charging
>> > big bucks for custom changes that are never distributed to anyone
>> > else.
>>
>> Indeed. Note that no other license, or PD, will make this
>> impossible. There's no way you can force someone to release
>> his modifications unless you're a supporter of wholesale
>> invasion of privacy. Ergo, you can't hold this against the
>> GPL, and it's certainly not a reason why the GPL cannot be
>> called "free".
>
>I am not holding it against the GPL, I am countering the claims that
>it does force sharing of modifications.  There are also plenty of
>examples of sharing of improvements to less restricted code which
>also counters any claims that the GPL is necessary to force them.

I don't think anybody said anything about forcing them.  Merely
preventing them from being wrapped in a trade secret license.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM adapting entire disk storage line to work with Linux
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:26:47 GMT

Said Steve Mading in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 22 Mar 2001 21:14:11 GMT;
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>: Meanwhile, the intelligent individuals who decided not to waste
>: their time on worthless university "computer science", and instead
>: decided to learn the hot technologies that pay well and are making
>: a fortune and are in high demand, even in today's economy.
>
>Bull.  Those types of courses teach information that goes obsolete
>in moments.  They teach only how to use specific product X to do
>specific task Y.  That's an excellent way to get a job NOW, but a
>terrible way to hold a job 5 years from now.

Having been involved in software training for more than a dozen years, I
consider any course that needs to be revised when the software is
updated to be entirely worthless.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux @ $19.95 per month
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:26:51 GMT

Said The Ghost In The Machine in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 22 Mar
   [...]
>Reread the above carefully.

A masterful job, dude, but you tripped up on two things:

"well-documented"; should have been "endlessly documented" or something,

"allow complex management"; should have been "to allow arcane experts to
do all sorts of complex things" or similar.

And you should have just posted it clean.  ;-)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:26:55 GMT

Said Chad Everett in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:50:36
wrote:

>>The Apache webserver system is widely regarded as one of the most
>>complicated systems in the modern computing sphere; unlike IIS where
>>one just writes the web pages and goes.  Jakarta?  Tomcat?  SSL/TLS?
>>All must be separately installed, or bundled.
>
>Unlike IIS where one just writes the web pages and goes home while
>every script kiddy in the universe breaks into IIS to modify your
>webpages and make you look like an idiot.
>
>>[...]Reread the above carefully.
>
>OK..NOW can we say you're completely nuts?

Perhaps "Mr. Ghost" should have said "read the below carefully".

>SURPRISE!

I'm a bit confused; just who is being surprised here?  :-D

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: German armed forces ban MS software  <gloat!>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:27:10 GMT

Said Jon Johanson in alt.destroy.microsoft on 23 Mar 2001 10:24:10
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said Chris Ahlstrom in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 20 Mar 2001

>employee
>> >
>> >Naw, it's just a BUG.
>>
>> With a password, "Netscape programmers are weenies!"  ;-D
>>
>> Guffaw.
>
>You're closer with this last word. It IS a joke.

Setting aside for the moment the fact that Microsoft Corp.'s Web server
software is a joke, we are left with the fact that it has a SERIOUS
SECURITY HOLE in terms of a back door.  Now, you've been ranting, as
sock puppets are want to do, that this is all some fabrication, because
it does not open any serious security holes in the HOST OPERATING
SYSTEM.  Yet the web server software does have the back door, and it
therefore represents a SERIOUS SECURITY HOLE which was purposefully put
in place by Microsoft, apparently.  No amount of denial will make it go
away.

Similarly, the way the sock puppets have lost no time claiming the
recent announcements about the German armed forces are "entirely wrong",
simply because Microsoft managed to get some denials published.  As is
typical, they aren't so much denials as clarifications pretending to be
denials (for those who went overboard on the original statements, such
as whoever started this thread), but that's more than good enough for
the sock puppets.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:27:11 GMT

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 23 Mar 2001
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 22 Mar 2001
>> >Chad Everett wrote:
>>    [...]
>> >The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club.
>> >
>> >The second rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club.
>>
>> Obviously, Aaron really liked this movie.  I suppose nobody has to
>> really guess why.
>>

>Yes...I did like it.  And it just showed up on cable last night, to
>remind me of exactly WHY I liked it.

    [...vague hypothesis justifying schizophrenia as a healthy mental
state...]

>In fact...if you look in life, practically everyone you know who is
>really successful...does exactly that.  One of your identities is
>T. Max Devlin, USENET poster.  I'm sure that you have a whole host
>of other identities which you quickly transition between throughout
>the day.  In some situations, you are Mr. Devlin, technologist.
>When you go home, you become "Daddy".  When you go to your parents
>house, you revert to "[some other name] son of [mom] and [dad]"

If you confuse your *role* with your *identity*, Aaron, you need to go
see a psychiatrist.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix/Linux Professionalism
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:27:12 GMT

Said Seán Ó Donnchadha in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 23 Mar 2001
09:54:50 -0500;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >I would have to say that you're quite a bit less intelligent than you are
>> >knowledgeable, and you aren't at all knowledgeable.
>>
>> Oh, well, if *you* say so, Seán.
>
>Actually, what I say is self-evident to any reasonably intelligent person,
>despite the squirming (as above) by those who disagree with my very accurate
>and very moderate opinions. So why don't you put that in your sock puppet
>and stick it up your crapware, Troll M.?

Guffaw.  Thanks for the 'tribute", BTW; perhaps you're learning
something after all.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:27:13 GMT

Said Seán Ó Donnchadha in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 23 Mar 2001
>"WesTralia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
   [...]
>> > Actually, what I say is self-evident to any reasonably intelligent person,
>> > despite the squirming (as above) by those who disagree with my very accurate
>> > and very moderate opinions. So why don't you put that in your sock puppet
>> > and stick it up your crapware, Troll M.?

I just had to repost that, its just so damn good.  I daresay Sean
obviously reads my posts very intently.

>> Ahhhh... Mr Coffey!  How are you doing today?  I hope well.
   [...]
>> We don't see you over at the Java advocacy group anymore.
   [...]
>> Do you want to tell the good folks here why that is?
   [...]

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:27:14 GMT

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 22 Mar 2001
>Chad Everett wrote:

>> >He bailed because his gambit failed, and he knows it.
>> >

>> I would say his gambit succeeded beautifully.  He certainly showed
>> beyond a doubt that you actually can't modify the header line
>> in question.  Thus proving that you actually are running your news
>> through a Win98 box.
>
>No..i asked for a better header...one that won't attract attention.

So make one up, if you have such strict requirements.  Nobody said you
had to keep the modification for more than one post.  C'MON, Aaron;
You're *seriously* losing touch with reality, here.  Just admit to
yourself that you lied and go see a psychiatrist to try to find out why.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:27:15 GMT

Said J Sloan in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 23 Mar 2001 07:11:14 GMT;
>"." wrote:
>
>> > a)  I would expect that you are as capable of finding out about Todd
>> > Needleham as much as anyone else; certainly you don't expect Aaron to
>> > keep private records.  So if you want very badly to get an URL, I'd
>> > suggest plunking the name into some search engines.  I haven't a clue
>> > whether you'll find anything, but then I'm not the one that supposes
>> > there's some convenient evidence that will conclusively prove anything
>> > either way.
>>
>> I did a search on google and deja for 'Todd Needleham', but nothing came up
>> at all on google (three links for 'needleham')
>
>I think you want "Needham", not "Needleham".
>
>jjs

That was my mistake, of course.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kulkis not Chad, Gates (was Re Unix/Linux Professionalism)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:27:16 GMT

Said WesTralia in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:16:10
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said WesTralia in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 22 Mar 2001 16:27:03

>> >Oh man, this is what I was afraid of -- a poor excuse.  You could have
>> >at least said that you have a laptop that you carry with you everywhere
>> >you go.
>> >
>> >So let's see if I have your story straight:
>> >
>> >- You have a news reader which has a header idenitifying your OS
>> >  as WIN98.
>> >
>> >- Your news reader is really a news reader on an UNIX system with
>> >  the header string changed for the purpose of security through
>> >  obscurity.  (By the way "security through obscurity" is an M$
>> >  line of reasoning.)
>> >
>> >- In order to post to this group you do a remote login to your
>> >  personal system, set the DISPLAY, then pull up Netscape on the
>> >  local machine.
>> >
>> >- You do all of this "remote login" stuff while on any contract
>> >  job at any company, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
>> >
>> >- You do the above without having any firewall problems because
>> >  every company that you contract for is wide open.
>> >

>> >Aaron... Aaron... Aaron... <shaking my head>
>> >
>> >So much to believe, so little time.  I'll pretend that I didn't
>> >read this last reply of yours and give you some time to come
>> >up with something a little less "s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d".
>>
>> Actually, most of that sounds perfectly reasonable for a moderately
>> experienced Unix admin (plus or minus your misconstruction).  To be
>> honest, the only thing which contradicts this possibility is the fact
>> that he hasn't shown the ability to change his header string.
>> Unfortunately for him, that's rather convincing.
>>

>Yes, all of the remote login stuff is very easily achieved with UNIX
>systems.  It's a breeze.  Where the s-t-r-e-t-c-h comes in is that
>Aaron supposedly is able to freely login to untrusted hosts from his
>contract jobs.  Yeah right!  Do you think General Motors gives contract
>workers wide open network access both inside and outside?  How about
>K-mart?

Sure.  They provide VPN access for any high-level IT
consultants/engineers, I'd expect.  I know just about every large
customer Verso had in the last two years set that up for our engineers.
It beats the hell out of buying plane tickets.  A little ssh and you're
on your way.

>Contract workers are the most restricted workers within a company in
>terms of network access.

Network consultants are the least restricted workers within any network
system.

>This line of Aaron's bs is worse that his mail header string bs.

I think the mail header string bs is much much worse.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 05:27:17 GMT

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 23 Mar 2001
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 22 Mar 2001
>> >
>> >That would attract attention.
>>
>> So you're not just a schizophrenic, you're a paranoid schizophrenic.
>> Please, Aaron, go see a psychiatrist.
>
>See my other post in this thread about the USEFUL lessons to be
>learned from a character who is a schizophrenic.

See my responses, showing this to be a delusion.

>And for the record, no, I am not a schizophrenic.

Now if only you could get a psychiatrist to say that.