From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New worm infests Linux machines/Exposes root backdoor
Date: 25 Mar 2001 15:06:04 -0600

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 24 Mar 2001 17:06:06 -0600, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> ZDNet too what?  So they have the same report.  How does that impact
> >> what I said at all?  It is only a problem for machines that run BIND,
>
> >> Do you even bother to read what people say to you?
> >
> >Dude, jezuz, chill. I agreed with you.
>
> Huh?  Where?  You just posted another story that was nearly a clone of
> the first one.

right.. and... oh, neve rmind, you'll never get it. You are just being too
defensive to understand the point.

> > Man, the anti-MS types are so paranoid and touchy...
>
> At least I don't drool on myself.

aww, you made a funny.

> > We know it's a bind problem and we know it's not affecting every linux
> > box.
>
> Thank you.  Now if you could admit that it is affecting maybe 1% of the
> Linux boxes out there and isn't remotely comparable to an email virus
> we'd be getting somewhere.

What we NEED to understand to be "getting somewhere" is that that's exactly
what I"m talking about when you say "email virus" - the executable tucked
away inside an e-mail thing is done and old and fixed. But you continue to
go on like it's a MS OS problem - it's not. My point.

> > JUST like how many "windows" viruses don't affect everyone and the
> > protection against it was probably already available but simply not
> > used.
>
> They seem to affect millions of people one way or another.  Either they
> get them and have to clean up, or they spend money on anti-virus
> products to avoid getting them.  The BIND thing isn't even in the same
> ballpark in terms of the number of people affected or the ease of
> acquiring the problem.  Setting up a DNS takes a number of actions that
> are well beyond "click here to see the attachment".

Actually - setting up DNS is damn near effortless on a windows system. I
always wonder why unix types seem to think it so hard. And, yea, there is
even a cute wizard if you want to use one. DNS... big deal...

> > Put it this way, the current version of Office is XP and both of the
> > service packs for Office 2000 have all included the mandatory Outlook
> > e-mail security patch.
>
> Or hasn't upgraded to the latest MS-ware.  I still have Office 97 at
> work.  I don't use Outlook, but most of the company does.  What's in
> Office XP and Office 2000 does not help my company.

you wouldn't know but that's not the point. If you are still using Office 97
(or more specifically Outlook 97) then, my god, are you behind the times and
then you are the same as those using an older version of BIND that IS
vulnerable and the point of those stories. If your version of Outlook passes
a virus to you - are you still going to blame MS? Of couse you will - but
it's your fault for not using a current version of Outlook that doesn't have
this problem - JUST like if you were using a vunerable version of BIND when
there is a newer fixed version available.

NOW DO YOU GET IT?!

TRY Bob - I'm sure you can if you take off those blinders and see it for
what it is...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What is user friendly?
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:07:53 -0500

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > FM wrote:

> when
> C/C++.
> language
> > >
> > > What decade do you think this is? Cobol? C/C++ are plenty backwards
> > > enough (Cobol isn't really necessarily more backwards than, say, C,
> > > just more obsolete in today's computing)
> > >

> > So obsolete that EVERY Fortune 500 company has a shitload of COBOL
> applications....
> > without which, they companies would fall into chaos within hours.
>
> That is SO untrue. NOT _every_  Fortune 500 company has a shitload of COBOL
> apps, some of these (mostly in the Top 100) have NO cobol. The company I
> work for does a LOT of ASP services for Fortune 100 companies (including one
> of the top 25) and we rarely seen unix boxes let alone cobol. Sometimes they
> are there in the basement running legacy apps or their calling-card web
> sites but the real back-ends run Windows NT doing things with Exchange
> servers, IIS, SQL Server and so on.

Clue for the clueless:  They don't let Weenies like Jan Johansan anywhere
*NEAR* the locked door to the room where the computers holding the
financial and accounting records and software.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Mar 2001 15:09:03 -0600

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > ZDNet too what?  So they have the same report.  How does that impact
> > > what I said at all?  It is only a problem for machines that run BIND,
> > > which is a small minority of all Linux machines.  The worm is a
problem
> > > for DNS admins (and then only ones who haven't been paying attention
for
> > > the last three months), not everybody who runs Linux.
> > >
> > > Do you even bother to read what people say to you?
> >
> > Dude, jezuz, chill. I agreed with you. Man, the anti-MS types are so
> > paranoid and touchy...
> >
> > We know it's a bind problem and we know it's not affecting every linux
box.

> > JUST like how many "windows" viruses don't affect everyone and the
> > protection against it was probably already available but simply not
used.

> > Put it this way, the current version of Office is XP and both of the
service
> > packs for Office 2000 have all included the mandatory Outlook e-mail
> > security patch. This patch completely eliminates the threat of e-mail
born
> > script attacks. These have been out for a year. ANYONE getting hit by
> > something like that anna virus lately is stupid. The patch to prevent it
> > from happening is out there and the standard. You shouldn't be running
> > unknown scripts on your system anyway. So, these are NOT MS/Windows
problems
> > or vulnerabilities - they are stupid user issues. Will you remember that
if
> > there is another anna virus? Somehow I doubt it...
>
> Well, the nice thing for my wifes' windows box is that she doesn't
> receive damaging scripts or viruses through our ISP.  Our ISP filters
> the viruses and VB scripts out before we receive them.... oh BTW our ISP
> uses Linux. :-)

Oh I see - so your ISP decides for you that you cannot receive certain file
types. You mean, they just decided that you will no longer receive a
VBScript file. What if you write VBscripts for work? Your ISP just dictates
to you what kind of files you can receive? How about MP3s? We know there are
some bootleg MP3s out there, does your ISP protect you from those too? And
how about those bootleg DivX .AVI files - is he blocking .AVI files too?

Using our Windows based e-mail, we scan them for viruses so that our users
can decide themselves what they want to send. We just protect them from
those that try to do harm. I think I prefer to make my own choices on what
is in my e-mail...

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux office, a possible future..... (OT?)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 13:06:59 -0800

Taavi Hein wrote:

> : >Internet/Java/C/C++?
> : >> All strong Unix catageories.
> : >And as strong on Windows.
> : Sure they are. Have you ever even heard of Java?
>
> I haven't followed the conversation, but this part aroused some suspicion in
> me... What's wrong with the windoze side of internet/java/c(++)? (especially
> the java bit)
>
> --
> Taavi Hein
> Registered Linux user #209546
> Registered Linux machine #97395
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi.  My opinion in this also... I downloaded ICQ java version for UNIX.
Its the cross-platform independence that Sun was trying to protect so
that others, like the VMS O/S, could use the same program that ran on
Sun or other platforms as well.  By breaking from the standards that
same program will only run on that broken standard.

Its what the National Bureau of Standards film, that was shown to us
Feds, that you have to standardize your measurement system so that one
inch really is one inch for everybody.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:10:00 -0500

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > FM wrote:

> CS
> me,  when
> C/C++.
> language

> applications....
> > >
> > > What part of "more" did you not understand?
> >
> > If it's obsolete, why isn't it being replaced?
>
> It IS being replaced - faster and faster every year.
>

> > If it's obsolete, why are NEW applications being written in it?
>
> Because Y2K people had to be hired somewhere. at a seriously discounted
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So, you're saying that someone is going around, putting a gun to the
head of successive CEO's saying, 'You better hire a shit-load of
unemployed Y2K COBOL programmers or I'm gonna blow your head off"?

Fascinatng.

Have you informed the FBI?

> rate. Programming in cobol is barely going to pay your mother rent for the
> basement.

Only if mom's basement rents for $150,000/year.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
soc.singles,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:11:11 -0500

Jan Johanson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Which gets back to my main point:
> >
> > Mafia$oft sticks you with code compiled for an 80486, and nothing
> > better....even if you're running a Pentium III.
>
> Wrong. There is Pentium specific code in NT as well as Windows 2000. There
> are also processor specific speed ups for the PII and PIII OP sets, as well
> as specific speedups for MMS, SSE and SSEII.

PROVE it.

> > Linux installs an 80386 kernal and apps BUT, it lets you re-make the
> kernal
> > and apps, so that you are using executable code that was optimized for
> > your CPU.
>
> So, can't run linux on a 286 without a recompile eh?

Linux isn't made for brainded 286 processors.

Mind you,  Windows9x and later won't run on a 286 either.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Mar 2001 15:11:06 -0600

"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > So, if a user on *nix saves an attachment and runs it and it has
> > a trojan in it, they somehow are magically unaffected by the trojan?
> >
> What you are describing is something what apparently a lot of
> wintendo-users aren´t able to do: actively *saving* an attachment,
> going to the right directory and then running the saved attachment.

Gee, I guess you don't use windows eh? And what difference would it make
saving the document before running it versus running it in place? besides,
MY antivirus solutions check it BEFORE it even arrives in my inbox
(actually, to be more accurate, my e-mail server checks it before it even
has a chance to go anywhere other than the inbound queue).

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I regretfully conclude that Linux is a piece of CRAP.
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:11:33 -0600

"Brian Rourke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have reached this conclusion based upon my personal experience only.
> In my opinion, any operating system that will NOT INSTALL is by
> definition crap.  A good PC operating system should be easily
> installable by a moderately informed layperson on any common
> equipment.  Though it is a terrible OS, Windows can be installed in
> less than an hour, which means that it beats Linux hands down right
> there.

I am not a Linux appologist, but you seem to be confusing your experience
with Linux in general for everyone.

While your experience is common, it's not true for everyone.  Lots of
people, including barely competant people, manage to get it installed
without much problem.  Likewise, lots of people, even very competant people,
have problems with Windows installs on occasion.

That doesn't excuse most Linux distro creators from failing to provide a
fool proof installation, just that it's not as bad as you make out.

> I have tried to install three different Linux distributions on my PC,
> and each attempt has failed in exactly the same way.  Though my hard
> drive is partitioned in exactly the way the manuals instruct, the
> installation software always fails to detect my hard drive and
> reboots.  Now, I do not own any obscure hardware.  My computer a
> recent Gateway E-4200.  Of course, Gateway is one of the most common
> brands out there.  In my opinion anyone marketing a piece of software
> that cannot run with 100% compatibility on common equipment is at
> least an idiot, at worst a crook.

It sounds like you're running into the 8GB problem.  This is actually a
failure of the PC's bios, being unable to boot a partition that begins after
the 8GB barrier.  There are some tricks you can do to make this work, but
the easiest solution, if you're uing NT is to use NT's boot loader to boot
Linux.  Though getting this to work may be a bit of a pain in and of itself.

> I am also struck by how difficult it is to get even basic information
> about hardware compatibility on these companies' websites.  My hard
> drive and controller are not even mentioned, though they are very
> common models.  How hard is it to say, "We don't support these."?
> Again, incompetence and arrogance are the rule with these Linux
> developers, IMO.  Even worse, there's nothing mentioned in the Red Hat
> or Mandrake FAQs about this very simple problem.  I know from browsing
> the USENET archives that I'm not the only person to have this problem.
> Why not try to help people, even if only to say "We can't help you.
> Stick with your old OS until we can."?  The reason is obvious: they
> don't want to admit their product has such a basic, fundamental flaw.

To be fair, new motherboards are released nearly weekly.  It would be quite
hard to keep track of them all, much less test them.  If it's not listed,
they haven't tested it.  That doesn't mean it won't work, but it doesn't
mean it will either.  The same holds true for NT.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Linux dying
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:13:14 GMT

In article <3abe4f75$0$48801$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jan Johanson wrote:

>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brent R wrote:
>> >
>> >Seriously... it's a bargain market right now... the chance that
>> >Microsoft  will be in business 5 years from now is a lot better than a
>> >Linux company's chance. Even though I have conflicing views on their
>> >products, Microsoft is a sure bet and solid as a rock.
>> >--
>> >- Brent
>> >

>> Seriously, anybody who thinks Linux will just blow away is a
>> total fool.
>
>blow away? disappear? not likely, not soon at least. but, so what... what
>good is it if you have a great underground user base of loyal linux users...
>so? all we can hope for as that they'll just go away quietly to their own
>little world... far far away from reality...

The only thing which will blow away far, far from reality is you.

Microsoft has already developed the common sense to admit they
were defeated when they announced they would support Linux under
the .NET initiative.

>> Even if the commercial market turned away from the product,
>> Linux will still be there and be developed.  It already has
>> a loyal user base and that user base is unshakable.
>>
>> Anytime you put a FREE product on the market against a commercialized,
>> expensive, copyrighted product - the FREE product will win.
>
>really? EVERY time? can you name some others?

Certainly,

Before Linux there was FreeBSD and the other BSD's.
It was FreeBSD which built the likes of HOTMAIL and
YAHOO.  It was NOT Microsoft.

Further, OPENBSD pretty much runs all the swiss banks.
Again, not Microsoft.

Then we have all those new supercomputers today running
Linux.  They are not running Microsoft.  Why?

Because Microsoft is a buggy slow peice of shit.
It's pure looserland crap.  Poor performance.
Poor vision.  Lack of built in tools like a simple web server.

And limited services for a fee.

Everyday which goes by Jan, Charlie get's stronger.
And every day which goes by Jan get's weaker.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Kulkis not Chad, Gates (was Re Unix/Linux Professionalism)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 16:14:29 -0500

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >>
> >> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 24 Mar 2001
> >>    [...]
> >>
> >> I think its funny how, in comparison to you, just about anyone, even a
> >> moderate like me, is a "left winger".
>
> > Advocation of Marxist principles is "moderate"?
>
> *sigh*
>
> You dont even really know what marxist principles ARE, do you chad.
>
> I mean aaron.

MANDATORY Government-run pension plan for the private sector.
Stealing from the productive to give to the unproductive.
Destroying true property ownership with a taxation scheme which makes
        a property title nothing more than a "license to rent from
        the government".

> The fact is that you really dont know alot about alot of things, do you.

Actually, I do.  I've read some of Marx's books (from cover to cover),
to find out EXACTLY what the idiotic system is based upon.

> Look, its quite alright to simply not know something and admit it.  You
> dont have to pretend to be a lawyer, or pretend that you were involved
> with desert storm or anything else.  If you just tell the truth about your
> experiences and knowledge, your advocacy will speak for itself.  And concerning
> this little bit of the private email you sent me (you may have posted it also,
> I really dont care to look):
>
> "So...when Windows people post lies...that's OK...but when I refute the
> lies with facts that you're too ignorant to understand....somehow
> that becomes my fault."
>
> No, aaron, its not ok when dresden lies, or when chad lies, OR when you
> lie.  My flaming history of the three of your should be enough to put
> a very fine point on that.

Is . your first name or your last name?

> -----.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.