  Re: IBM Goes Gay (The Ghost In The Machine)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Laugh, it's hilarious.
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 12:10:09 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, T. Max Devlin
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 08 Jun 2001 04:05:43 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Said Chris Ahlstrom in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 07 Jun 2001
> >>flatfish+++ wrote:
> >   [...]
> >>
> >>On the other hand, in the auto section of Walmart you'll hear more
> >>intelligent questions.  Why is that?
> >
> >Well put.  Why *is* that?
>
> It might be that NASCAR is more interesting than the yearly competition
> amongst highly intelligent, computer-knowledgeable students (I forget
> the name, but it's an East vs. West competition setup).  :-)
>
> Of course, Battlebots (Comedy Central) and knockoffs such as Robotica
> (TLC?) might change the equation slightly -- but even there, it's not
> clear that there's much computer hardware there, beyond a remote control
> and a few servos.
>
> But it's a start. :-)
>
> Not sure how one would create a show around such things as Codewars.
> The idea is to write code that will take over the arena -- in this
> case, a delimited interpreter within a computer, as I recall.
> A far more sinister variant may be happening right now: Viruswars.
> The arena in this case is every worldwide node on the network.
>
> At least the Mitnick worm wasn't intentionally destructive, but
> then, neither are certain mussels that hitch rides on international
> shipping then take over the Great Lakes...sigh.

On the bright side, the Zebra Mussels have cleaned up the water in the
Great Lakes to such an extent that the enviro-wackos are crying that their
favorite "give us money or you and your children will die die die" issue
has been destroyed.

> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- just the good ole boys ... never meaning no harm ...
> EAC code #191       39d:12h:38m actually running Linux.
>                     [ ] Check here to always compile your own software.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 12:10:44 -0400

Shice Beoney wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:24:35 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
>
> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, T. Max Devlin
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote
> >on Fri, 08 Jun 2001 04:05:43 GMT
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >>Said Chris Ahlstrom in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 07 Jun 2001
> >>   [...]
> >>
> >>Well put.  Why *is* that?
> >
> >It might be that NASCAR is more interesting than the yearly competition
> >amongst highly intelligent, computer-knowledgeable students (I forget
> >the name, but it's an East vs. West competition setup).  :-)
>
> <snip>
>
> I find it hard to believe there's ANYthing less interesting than
> NASCAR.

That's because you're not as simple-minded as the typical NASCAR fan.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 12:11:05 -0400

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 22:45:32 GMT, Shice Beoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > I find it hard to believe there's ANYthing less interesting than
> > NASCAR.
>
> How about televised golf?

quite true.

> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 16:15:11 GMT

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> GreyCloud wrote:
[snip]
> > Metrowerks C++ works real well and so does Gnu g++.
>
> Unfortunately, the C++ implementation is not Microsoft's strong
> suit.  Neither is the MFC (does Microsoft even know what a
> constructor is for?)

They do. However when they wrote C++, the
sematics of constructor were not yet standardized,
so they avoided the problem areas by having separate
initialization methods.

The problem they avoided this way was
having exceptions thrown from inside
constructors. When MFC came out, nobody
knew what should happen when exceptions
are thrown from inside constructors, but
there was no other way to signal errors.

A *lot* of the problems and general weirdness
of MFC are due to issues of this sort.

I do agree about the C++ implementation- it's
one of the least complete modern compilers.

But the IDE sure is nice.

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 16:18:30 GMT

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Daniel Johnson wrote:
[snip]
> Well, I'm having to do a lot of work arounds with VC++6.0.
> For some reason or other they've got the private sections of classes
> screwed up.

How so? I haven't noticed a problem here, and I have
used this product.

> I have to make a lot of private variables public because of this nasty
> bug.
> I feel that this compromises the idea of encapsulation and isolation.
> Could this really be the cause of some of MS software failing??

I doubt it. Making private variables public means you
can access them from the outside, but if you are trying
to do encapsulation you probably don't *want* to do
that.

> Metrowerks C++ works real well and so does Gnu g++.

They certainly implement more of the language.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 16:23:13 GMT

"Charles Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
[snip- XP SmartTags]
> Who put the wavy line in the page?
> If you put wavy lines in my page you violate my copyright and may be
> guilty of vandalism.

Dubious. If I buy a book and mark it up with
a yellow highlighter, is that vandalism? Have
I violated the copyright of the book's author?

In any case, if you believe you need control
of the exact appearance of the page, you
should not be using HTML at all- it does
not give you that control. Your page's
appearance will depend heavily on the
browser that renders it.

For instnace, if I use a text-only browser,
all those pretty blue underlines will vanish.

Vandalism! :D

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 12:30:04 -0400

"Laura M. Hagan" wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Laura M. Hagan" wrote:
> > >
> > > Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >     d) Lesbians, who have a lower chance of getting AIDS than
> > > do either male or female heterosexuals.
> > >     Idiot.
> >
> > What's your pre-occupation with lesbos?
>
>     Why do you want to pretend they don't exist?

They aren't germane to the subject at hand.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 12:34:22 -0400

Ray Fischer wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Neither do monogomous homosexuals.  They do exist you know.
> >
> >Only lesbos.
> >
> >Male homosexuals are notorious for being incredibly promiscous....
>
> Kulkis got dumped by his boyfriend?

I only go out with females, you ass-reamed moron.

> --
> Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 12:39:56 -0400

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 21:25:42 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"JS \ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> I wasn't including programs, I was listing the "per mb" cost of the
> >Windows
> >> footprint on an 80 gb hard drive, which works out to a mere $2.60. Most
> >> people don't have to get a larger hard drive to install XP though since
> >it's
> >> footprint is merely 1 gb.
> >
> >I'm chocking here.
> >*Mere* 1 GB? There is not such thing as *mere* GB, for crying out loud.
> >
> >Do you remember about 5 years ago?
> >When 2GB HD were the hottest item? And all of Windows was 35MB on disk,
> >100MB installed?
>
> Yeah, but JP \ PL thinks you can buy a 1GB hard disk for $2.60

Actually I didn't say that. Your just not bright enough to read very well.
What I said was (for the third time), the storage portion XP requires on an
80gb drive which currently sells for $208 at pricewatch.com is about $2.60.
Get it yet Einstein? The cost to store Windows XP is $2.60.

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Here's a switch for a change
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 17:56:49 -0400

> There is no such clause in the EULA, in fact MS offers a 30 day money back
> guarantee on retail software.

But how many users have actually managed to get a refund - I have seen 'NO
REFUNDS GIVEN' signs in the software section of all the shops around here (
and in most record shops as well - it's not limited to computer software )
even though this is probably illegal here in the UK under consumer
protection laws.

> Further, his data isn't gone.  Just the OS is corrupted.

So how does the average user supposed to get his / her data back when the
OS refuses to boot when most users need help just using the system normally
- if you upgraded your copy of windows and were left with an unbootable PC
and faced losing an important research project ( and maybe also failing an
important exam or destroying your career because of it ) and were told by
the shop that none of their staff can help and maybe being told you need to
buy even more software to try to recover that data ( norton utilities
perhaps) or being offered a refund on the upgrade then wouldn't you feel
well pissed off.

One thing I am curious about though is what are the rules on refunds for
Linux Distro's - if you buy mandrake for example and try to get a refund
what will the shop do. They cannot use the possibility of piracy as an
excuse as the software is free (so cannot be pirated) and you are only
buying the media, manuals and support so you wouldn't be breaking any laws
if you did keep a copy ( especially when you could have also got the
software by free download from mandrake's ftp site).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 16:54:11 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter Hayes
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Fri, 08 Jun 2001 18:10:49 +0100
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 06:15:55 -0000, Ray Chason
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >Folks, it's a sad day for IBM supporters because apparently they have
>> >succumbed to the gay pressure and are mobilizing to support this
>> >deviant lifestyle.
>>
>>          +------------------------+
>>          |                        |
>>          | PLEASE                 |
>>          |                        |
>>          | Do not feed the troll. |
>>          | Thank you.             |
>>          |                        |
>>          |         The Management |
>>          |                        |
>>          +----------+--+----------+
>>                     |  |
>>                     |  |
>>                     |  |
>>                     |  |
>>                     |  |
>>                     |  |

>Too late. This thread is going to run and run...

Might I suggest some Pepto-Bismol? :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- do track athletes ever use it, though?
                    This is a pithy statement.  Please watch where you pith.