From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Subject: Re: Linux dying
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:14:53 +0200

        GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> "Joseph T. Adams" wrote:
>
> I concur with you about the PC sales.  Out there now, and you probably
> already know this, is the Sun Blade 100. A 64-bit, $950, Sparc IIe
> processor.  Does everything at this price except MS windows. And for an
> extra $400 one can get a plug-in card if they really need MS windows.
> This one is really going to put a crimp in intels' and AMDs new 64-bit
> pricings.

I haven't got my hands on a Sun Blade 100 yet but I don't think there is
anyway it is going to replace PC's on the desktop. There just isn't the
support for Sparc Linux as there is for Intel boxes. Just go to rpmfond,
ximian, netscape and see what support there is for Sparc. I run redhat
on my ultra-5 at work with gnome/sawfish. The only way to get recent updates
is to comile it myself. Have you ever tried compiling sawfish? What about
thingd like gnucash, evolution, etc? Things are even worse if you run
Solaris. You have to compile most things yourself and sorting out dependancies
can be a nightmare. I would rather have a PC on my desk at work running
Linux than any Sun workstation.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Arrrrgh!  Hoist the Jolly Roger!
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:55:52 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> As if anyone really cares:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/
>
> This URL appears at the bottom of a Sony VAIO
> ad.  I wonder why this URL is there... has
> Sony been accused of chicanery with Illegal
> Copies of Windows?
>
> Make sure your COA is genuine!

For Microsoft, *THIS* would be a more accurate URL name:

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howto

Seeing that that's their primary software development technique.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:59:10 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> As if anyone really cares:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/
>
> This URL appears at the bottom of a Sony VAIO
> ad.  I wonder why this URL is there... has
> Sony been accused of chicanery with Illegal
> Copies of Windows?
>
> Make sure your COA is genuine!
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/how/default.asp
>
> That way, only the best counterfeiters will be
> able to counterfeit Microsoft software.
>
>         Report software piracy. If you come across a
>         product you think may be illegal, we'd
>         like to know about it. Send e-mail to
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] Your confidentiality is
>         assured.
>
> Man, if I were an exec at the typical business,
> I'd be afraid to report ANYTHING to Microsoft.
>
> I'm tempted to be utterly juvenile, and send a note
> to the e-mail above stammering that somehow Linux
> got onto my Windows box.  What am I to do????

to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Piracy????

Somebody put Linux on my computer, and I didn't pay for it.

Is that bad?

> Chris
>
> --
> [ Do Not Make Illegal Copies of This Message ]

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why can't we just all be friends?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:00:50 -0500

"Brandur K. Jacobsen" wrote:

> "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless!
> Everything is meaningless."
> I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them
> are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.
> Ecclesiastes chapter 1
>
> So what if it's Windows or Linux or whatever?

do you *LIKE* losing all your work when your LoseDOS box crashes....*AGAIN*

> _brandur_

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Kulkis not Chad, Gates (was Re Unix/Linux Professionalism)
Date: 27 Mar 2001 20:02:08 GMT

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 14:39:00 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:13:44 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >So, you're saying that the same words have less veracity if spoken
>> >by a different person.
>>
>> Unless the two persons manage to speak the same words about the same thing
>> meaning the same, iand you have reasons to believe them to the same degree,
>> of course the veracity is different!
>
>So, the truth of such a simple statement such as

Check your grammar a bit.

>"[X money] saved is [X money] earned" is ENTIRELY dependant upon who
>speaks it.

Repeating myself, it depends on who says it, what he is talking about, what
it means when he says it, and the reasons to believe it you have.

>> "I believe in love and world unity" said by Mahatma Ghandi has more
>> veracity than "I believe in love and world unity" said by Pol Pot.
>
>That is am evaluation about ONESELF, which of course, varies in truthfulness
>from speaker to speaker....which has NOTHING to do with a syllogism
>such as "A penny saved is a penny earned."

What on earth are they teaching at college these days???
That's NOT a syllogism!!!!!

Perhaps you mean it's a tautology?

And anyway: that phrase's correctness depends among other things,
on what you are applying it to. In this particular case you are applying
it to such things as freedom of expression, religion and marxism.

I humbly say that it makes more sense when applied to actual money,
as Ben intended it originally.

>Hope that helps.

Not much!

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:02:53 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 14:35:35 GMT, Chad Everett
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Please.  Start another thread on this topic.  I have been through
> >this "before...No!...after!" argument before.
>
> I apologize for getting it started.  I just thought it was amusing that
> he would accuse you of copyright infringement and then quote back the
> whole thing.
>
> >Microsoft's HailStorm Initiative
> >Raises Security, Privacy Questions
>
> The most interesting thing about this article to me was that the WSJ
> published it.  They aren't exactly bleeding-heart liberals, and even
> they see problems with it.
>
> I think this means that what they are doing is obvious enough that few
> are going to sign up for it.  One can always hope anyway.
>
> >   Right now, "a lot of this personal information that you have is probably
> >   on your PC hard drive or maybe on your Palm Pilot -- and [Microsoft]
> >   wants to sort of encourage people to put it in a central location,"
>
> >   "This is going to sort of create an incentive to break in there."
>
> Sort of create an incentive?  I'd say that was putting it mildly.  And
> users are quite aware of Microsoft's track record.
>
> >   To the anti-Microsoft lobbying group ProComp, short for the Project to
> >   Promote Competition and Innovation, that's akin to Microsoft turning
> >   "the Internet into a Microsoft toll road,"
>
> And that is the goal of the whole .NET thing, isn't it?  It is not about
> WORA, it is not about "making the OS irrelevant", indeed it is not about
> providing value to consumers at all.  It is about what Microsoft needs,
> not what consumers need.  It is about pay per use, intellectual property
> protection, and integrating MS into vital systems so that they can get a
> cut of every transation.  This is Gates' longtime dream.

In 1994, Gates told an interviewer that his ultimate goal is to collect
a surcharge for EVERY electronic banking transaction on the face of the
entire planet.

Stopped, he must be.

> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I regretfully conclude that Linux is a piece of CRAP.
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 20:03:59 GMT

Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have reached this conclusion based upon my personal experience only.
> In my opinion, any operating system that will NOT INSTALL is by
> definition crap.  A good PC operating system should be easily
> installable by a moderately informed layperson on any common

Hehe. This reminds me of the first time I installed Win95. It
installed ok but it fried my video card :-)

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 20:06:33 GMT

So Linux is a piece of crap because you're too dumb to figure out how
to install it?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are todays computers 1000 times better than the original PCs?
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 15:07:29 -0500

Andy Walker wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
> <98b39h$8r9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >>We're going to hit a wall on IC miniaturization pretty soon...and it has
> >>NOTHING to do with power dissipation.  Basically, it's getting to the
> >>physical limit with regard to trace size.
> >
> >I can recall exactly the same being said ten years ago. *Exactly* the same.

Are you saying that atoms are getting smaller?

10 years ago, conductive paths were 1000 atoms across.
Now, they are about 100 atoms across.

That means we have at best, 2 orders of magnitude of miniaturization left.

1-atom-width conductors *might* be possible, at great expense, and
high risk of failure (to various reasons: shock, thermal expansion,
atomic migration, etc.)

1/4-atom-width conducturs is silly to even contemplate.

> >Bernie
> >--
> >The only thing we have to fear is fear itself
> >Franklin D. Roosevelt
> >US president 1933-45
> >Inaugural address, 4 March 1953
>
> The barrier we are about to hit now is quantum effects, unless you manage to
> defy the laws of physics it may be a slightly more difficult problem to
> beat!

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.