From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Microsoft abandoning USB?
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 04:56:41 GMT

Said Dave Martel in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:51:20
-0700;
>On 28 Mar 2001 15:28:01 -0700, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cray Drygu) writes:
>>
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (WesTralia) wrote in

>>> "The internet views censorship as damage, and routes around it."
>>>
>>> You're right, it's going to be a very interesting time.  What concerns me
>>> more is why there's some kind of content control in 1394.  Isn't it just
>>> supposed to be a way of transferring data?  What's next, ethernet with
>>> content control extensions in the NICs?
>>
>>You better believe it.
>>
>>They already have monitors and speakers ready to go.  Soon it will
>>flow from the RIAA's slaves/musicians right out your legally licensed
>>speaker system.
>>
>>Not only that, but it will be hard to have unlicensed music (ie,
>>everything will be considered copyrighted until proven *otherwise*).
>>This is all bad news for open source people because they will never
>>give us the means to view their "content" [see Quicktime and Windows
>>Media Player].
>
>There's no doubt the RIAA will pull this off, but I don't think they
>realize just how fragile the boundary is between an honest consumer
>and a pirate. If they're not careful they may alienate so many
>consumers that they end up with a thousand more times pirates than
>they're facing today.
>
>I'm thinking of joining the Jolly Roger movement myself. It just
>doesn't make sense to keep enriching an industry that uses my own
>money to try to take over my hardware.

Amen.

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATTN: Outlook Express Users and Virus's
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 16:59:49 +1200

Very important news regarding outlook express:

http://www.satirewire.com/news/0103/outlook.shtml

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 05:13:44 GMT

Said Dave Martel in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 29 Mar 2001 11:47:57
>On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:13:50 GMT, T. Max Devlin
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Who's "they"?  I believe copyright law (and, more importantly, popular
>>misconceptions about copyright law) needs to be modified to become
>>reasonable.  It may have been rational before, when it could be assumed
>>that distribution required production.  But since the costs of these
>>things have dropped, and the prices haven't, there is every reason to
>>believe that rather than exercising any "right to profit", corporate
>>media owners are under the impression they have a right to profiteer.
>
>The first change *I* would like to see is a provision that a copyright
>is null and void if the holder attempts in any way - be it restrictive
>licensing terms, copy protection, or burdensome registration schemes -
>to interfere with the "fair use" provisions.

Its going to take much more than that.  Honestly, the "fair use" of old
style media is the "production rights" of anything digital.

My point is, there is a conceptual glitch in popular wisdom of
copyright.  "Content" *isn't* a metaphysical substance!  It is a handy
legal fiction.  "Intellectual property" is a book-keeping mechanism, not
an inherent right.  In fact, there *is* no inherent right that an author
has to his words, according to the standard enumerations of Lockean
theory, except the right to write them, to express them, to give them
away free if he has to, whether anyone wants him to or not!  What makes
him an *author* is the fact that he submits his works to public view.
It is neither necessary nor sufficient that he make money *from each
user*, merely that nobody else can claim authorship, so if anyone is
making money, he is, usually through royalties.  Now, you take that "he"
in the metaphorical sense, and you apply it to a company which "owns" a
work-for-hire, and now what we have is not a product, but a market.  If
someone else can produce even that particular configuration of work for
hire more efficiently, then it really should be anybody's game.

When being an amateur pirate is sufficiently damaging to the value of a
product that it needs to be considered, let alone prevented, then
there's quite frankly some profiteering going on.  And it isn't by the
amateur pirates.  If stamping out the professional pirates (still legal,
necessary, and quite possible, the old fashioned way) or better yet,
simply extracting royalties, is not sufficient, there's some
profiteering going on.  If an "author" is so plagued with piracy that
they can't all be stamped out, and they overwhelm whoever's wearing the
boots, one has to wonder if maybe there wasn't some profiteering going
on.

From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux needs a standard, user proof distro
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 21:22:41 -0800

With all the stuff I'm hearing about Windows XP and the WPA, that will
require you to have MS activate your PC after makeing any hardware
changes, makes me wish there was somthing out there to compete with
Windows.  I mean really compete.

Linux is a great OS and is getting better all the time, but the average
computer user won't want to use it.  What I think Linux needs is a
light, user freindly version that anyone can use.  Somthing that's
stripped of most of the server functions and is made for a single or
multi user home system.  Somthing that even the untechnical user can use
without too many problems.  Here are some things that I think would be
needed to make this work:

- A standard GUI that all Linux distros could use.
- A GUI that's feels lighter and faster.
- All the most used admin (root) functions available from point and
click.
- All makers of the lighter distro to follow standards so all the
distros are similar.
- Of course, more programs that people need for everyday use.

I'd like to see Linux come out with somthing that would really compete
with windows and give people who arn't tech savvy a choice.  Any
thoughts on this?  Any distros that are trying to move twards an OS like
this?

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 05:17:43 GMT

Said WernerP in alt.destroy.microsoft on 29 Mar 2001 08:12:14 -0600;
>On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:58:54 -0700, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>>In a nutshell: MS wants to get into end-to-end content protection with
>>their Secure PC strategy. USB 2.0 doesn't offer the necessary
>>content-control features for peripherals but the latest 1394
>>(Firewire) standards do - see the second URL above.
>Snip, not only M$ tries to put content protection into everything.

And let's not forget, kiddies, that more than 85% of *all* the world's
"media" [publishing and broadcasting, et. al,] is owned by just 16
companies.  (Actually, I think its 12, now, but I wasn't keeping track.
This fact courtesy of Dr. Paul Kurtz, founder of Prometheus Books,
literally one of the last independent publishing houses in the US.)

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Software registration
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 00:08:14 -0500

> So if everyone registers Microsoft software as:
>
> USER: William Gates
> Company: Screw-you.com

Well, Duh.

Am I the only one who does this as a matter of course for any "mandatory"
registration?

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New worm infests Linux machines/Exposes root backdoor
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 05:27:31 GMT

Said GreyCloud in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:26:32
>Chad Myers wrote:
   [...]
>(Where the hell did I put that attack Penguin?  Oh, there you are Tux...
>Sic em!)
>
>Or... QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!!

Which brings us to the grave and important discussion we've all been
putting off.  Just what sound does Tux, the Linux penguin, make?

Somehow, I always thought of it as a soft, wirring sound.  It seems like
there should be something better, though, for occasions like this.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 05:28:51 GMT

Said Chad Myers in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:35:58
>"Chronos Tachyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>message news:5%qw6.62619$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed 28 Mar 2001 12:39, Chad Myers wrote:
>>
>>   [Snip]

>> > Of course, 99% of the time when X freezes, it's usually a complete system
>> > freeze and ALT+F1 doesn't do anything.
>> >
>> > -c
>> >

>> Bullshit, Chad.
>
>No, not really. For the brief and unbearable days while I ran Linux as
>my primary OS on my home machine, it locked frequently and required
>a hard reset to come back. At first, I thought this was just poor video
>drivers in linux for my card, but the behavior was reproduced on my
>laptop, and on a machine at work. The truth is that X is a flaming piece
>of shit and the multimedia/video capabilities of Linux aren't much better.

My, oh, my, you are incompetent, aren't you, Chad?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 05:35:04 GMT

Said GreyCloud in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 29 Mar 2001 00:17:00
>Chad Myers wrote:
>>
>> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> is

>> considering

>> > How could a WinDrool know?
>>
>> Are you completely devoid of intellectual thought?
>>
>> Apparently so.
>>
>> *PL0NK*
>> -c
>
>Well, you don't say!

I'm only posting now, but I gotta tell you, I've been laughing for days.
I've still got that image of Chad the luser furiously pounding Alt-F1
while cursing Linus Torvalds, casting baleful looks at the XP Beta
sitting on a shelf.  LOL!

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 05:38:53 GMT

Said GreyCloud in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 28 Mar 2001 16:53:39
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said Chad Myers in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 28 Mar 2001 01:21:09
>> >"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Which basically resulted in MS putting in a compiler switch to
>> >allow you to turn off the JDirect extensions.
>> >
>> >Big whoop.
>>
>> Hmmm.  Seems to me I recall a very large settlement (judicial seal
>> prevents us from knowing how large), and Microsoft's agreeing never to
>> develop Java.  Woop.
>>
>> --
>> T. Max Devlin
>>   *** The best way to convince another is
>>           to state your case moderately and
>>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***
>
>MickeySoft paid Sun $20,000,000.

I would expect, as typical, that this is a report of a speculation.  The
figure is undisclosed, and is actually undiscoverable, AFAIK, unless you
have an army of accountants and unlimited access to Microsoft's books
(and you'd still need brass balls, because you'd *still* be
speculating.)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dying
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 05:42:26 GMT

An update:

Said T. Max Devlin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 29 Mar 2001
>Said Chad Everett in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 28 Mar 2001 21:05:44
>GMT;
>>On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 18:44:41 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>>"WesTralia" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>>>Please show where MS's databases have been compromised.
>>>
>>>Until then, please stop talking from your ass.
>>>

>>Wow!  That was the easiest challenge yet!  Here ya go:
>>
>>      http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/2000/42/ns-18719.html
>>
>>The article begins like this:
>>
>> Fri, 27 Oct 2000 09:35:42 GMT
>> Matthew Broersma
>>
>> Hackers burgle Microsoft source code
>> ------------------------------------
>>
>> Company reveals hackers have stolen source code to applications and
>> operating system, but says code has not been altered
>>
>> Software giant Microsoft said hackers had broken into the company's
>> computers, in what a spokesman called "a deplorable act of industrial
>> espionage", and were believed to have gained access to the source code of such
>> software as Windows operating systems and the Office software suite
>
>And you just know Myers and his handlers are furiously considering
>whether or not to use the "this isn't a database" denial....

It turns out they've decided to deny the *entire thing*.  "Show me where
anyone *proved* that anything was accessed," or something or other.
Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
Date: 30 Mar 2001 05:51:33 GMT
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Piracy????  (KMM187962C0KM)]

>> We suggest that you contact Linux.
>>

>What a dumb answer.
>You are *soooooo* retarded.

I've heard it before.

My legitimate question:  "Will the HP 612C printer I was considering purchasing
work on my Linux box?"  Figuring it would be the sensible, direct approach, I
call HP.  Tech-support-bot answer suggests I contact Linux.  I already knew
what it would say if I asked.  "Calibrating delay loop: 498.07 BogoMIPS."

--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
Colony name not needed in address.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux needs a standard, user proof distro
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:00:08 +1200

Ok, I hear your call, and I will answer:

<snype>

> - A standard GUI that all Linux distros could use.

There are two defacto standard GUI's, KDE and GNOME.  Having both of them
allows the user to decide what GUI they want to use rather than getting the
standard Windows GUI rammed down their throat.  Most newbies I have helped
think it is awsome they can choose what their GUI looks and feels like.

> - A GUI that's feels lighter and faster.

Well, as long as you have the latest version (Xfree 4.03) installed, both
GUI's are very light.  The first version of KDE was mega bloated, slow, and
used a tonne of memory, however, it has gradually matured into a pretty
good desktop.  Also, depending upon what distro you choose,
KDE/GNOME intergration may range from absolutely shit, to out of this
world.  For example, SuSE is heavily intergrated into the KDE environment,
compared to Redhat, which tilts more to GNOME, has better intergration in
GNOME, than what SuSE has in GNOME. Hence, the beauty of different
distro's, you get to select the one that suites you, rather than getting
told what you should get used to.

> - All the most used admin (root) functions available from point and
> click.

Again, that depends which distro you use.  Redhat uses LinuxConf, where as
SuSE uses a inhouse written program called YaST (Yet another setup tool).
Yet another benefit of have distro's, each company competes on
GUI intergration, setup and configuration tools, compared to what Windows
has, which is one set, which doesn't always fullfill all the jobs.

> - All makers of the lighter distro to follow standards so all the
> distros are similar.

There is currently a draft standard that is endorsed by SuSE, called the
LSB, aka, Linux Standard Base, that outlines where config files should be,
what method should be used for the startup files and numorous other
guidelines to stardardise Linux, thus allowing cleaner compatibility
between distro's, and as a result (hopefully), groups such as Ximian will
not need to compile x number of different versions, instead, all they will
need to do is compile once, and it will work on any distro.

> - Of course, more programs that people need for everyday use.

Most users use their computer to write letters; StarOffice can do this,
even with all the slagging, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, and
best part, its free, Surf the net; Although Netscape may get a slagging,
I have no problems with it, even if you don't like it, there is always
konquorer (included with kde), which is a very good browser, apart from
some Javascript issues, it works pretty good, and still in beta, but very
stable, there is Opera 5 for Linux, which I am currently downloading, all
of them are good, its up to the user to decide which one he/she wants to
use.  In terms of games, hop over to LokiGames.com, they have a pretty good
selection of games.  I have played Civilisation for Linux, and it is pretty
darn good.

> I'd like to see Linux come out with somthing that would really compete
> with windows and give people who arn't tech savvy a choice.  Any
> thoughts on this?  Any distros that are trying to move twards an OS like
> this?

Yes, maybe a couple of years ago, there was an excuse for users to avoid
Linux, however, over the last 4 years I have seen Linux go from strength to
strength.  From the archaic text based installation to the easy-peasy
GUI based installation and hard detection of today.  When I started using
linux, all there was, was Netscape, Realplayer and a couple of other piddly
applications, now there is Wordperfect, Vistasource Office, Civilisation,
Simcity 3000 Unlimited and lots more. Many of these titles I never thought
that they would be ported to linux. Right now, Linux is growing into a
mature, stable, and fully functional OS, that, generally can achieve all
what Windows can do and more.  The only thing left is to rebuke the
constant myths that get spread around about Linux and its so-called
"short-falls".

Matthew Gardiner

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:01:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said Dave Martel in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:10:36
>>On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 03:48:51 GMT, "Michael Allen"
>>>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>   [...]
>><http://www.toad.com/gnu/whatswrong.html>
>>What's Wrong With Copy Protection
>>John Gilmore, 16 February 2001
>   [...]
>>What is wrong is that we have invented the technology to eliminate
>>scarcity, but we are deliberately throwing it away to benefit those
>>who profit from scarcity. [...]
>
>Unethically profiting from scarcity, there's a term for that, isn't
>there?

Give the sock puppets a break.  They are not used to thinking about
things Bill would rather they not know.

 prof·it·eer (prof-i-tîr)
 n.

      One who makes excessive profits on goods in short supply.

 v. intr. prof·it·eered, prof·it·eer·ing, prof·it·eers.

      To make excessive profits on goods in short supply.
--
GPL says
  "What's mine is ours,

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:02:24 GMT

"Jeffrey Siegal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Les Mikesell wrote:
> > > As long as the definitions are clear and well written (which is
entirely
> > > the case in terms of the FSF's "free software") it does not take a law
> > > degree to understand them, nor should anyone be confused simply
because
> > > they are unwilling to take a few minutes to read what the definitions
> > > are in a given context.
> >
> > There is nothing at all clear in the GPL regarding the relationship
> > of shared libraries to each other and the linking program
>
> This has nothing to do with the FSF's definition of free software.  Free
> software is not the same as GPLed software.

Yes, that is the whole point of this argument.   GPL'd software is
very restricted, hence not free at all.

From: Martigan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NO operating system is secure...
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 06:09:00 GMT

Brent R wrote:

> when you have dumb users:
>
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/550850.asp
>
> Also anyone else think it's kind of weird how MSNBC will criticize
> Microsoft's security and still use Active Server?

   O.k. I think we might be lloking in to deeply here.  Yes the still run
it BUT they are a news service!  Hell MS is an owner of it.  They are
printing news.  Plain and simple, anything to bring the people into the
website.