From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Earn some money with Linux
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:07:40 +0200

Benjamin Lvovsky wrote:
> OK. That's cool. But do Linux people actually BUY software? Everyone got
> used to get it for free. Except $5 CDs because it's cheaper to buy then
> to download and burn;) "FREE" software kills the market. It kills
> itself.

Nope.
I bought  Borland JBuilder or CodeWarrior (just to mention the
development tools).
In the last 2 years I´ve spent about 1500$ on Linux-Software.
This is *not* peanuts. In the same timeframe I´ve spent less than 300$
on Windows-software, mainly for the kids.

Wake up tho the realities. Windows is not everything to everyone.

Peter

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably
the day they start making vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 11:31:20 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis"

> Americans weren't going around telling everyone that their primary
> political goal was to spark bloody revolutions.
>
> the Soviets were
>
> Spot the difference

America supported insurgencies and counter insurgencies quietly.  Little
difference.  Our record in South America speaks for itself.

------------------------------

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 06:18:42 -0500

> OK. That's cool. But do Linux people actually BUY software? Everyone got
> used to get it for free. Except $5 CDs because it's cheaper to buy then to
> download and burn;) "FREE" software kills the market. It kills itself.

It only kills the market for software that someone else can't write and give
away for free.

And if your product *is* something that someone else can write and give away
for free, then maybe you're just selling the wrong product.

Free software doesn't kill the software market - it just raises the bar on
what can be considered commercial software.

------------------------------

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NOTICE: Internet Cleaning
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 06:20:35 -0500

> *** Attention ***
>
> It's that time again!
>
> As many of you know, each year the Internet must be shut down
> for 24 hours in order to allow for cleaning.

Hehe, but you gotta post it in some newbie  groups!

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 06:24:52 -0500

billh wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>
> > Americans weren't going around telling everyone that their primary
> > political goal was to spark bloody revolutions.
> >
> > the Soviets were
> >
> > Spot the difference
>
> America supported insurgencies and counter insurgencies quietly.  Little
> difference.  Our record in South America speaks for itself.

And this supports the typical communist-advocates "the government
can do no wrong" line of thinking how, exactly?

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 06:33:43 -0500

Nils Zonneveld wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > Just because you write something on Linux doesn't mean that you can't
> > keep YOUR code proprietary....because, in fact, you CAN.
> >

> As I understood it, when you use GPL'ed code in your project, your code
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> becomes automatically GPL'ed too.

Translation: if you develop all your own stuff, you can keep
it proprietary.

>                                      Only when you keep your code
> completely separated from GPL'ed code it remains proprietary. When you
> compile something with gcc, you make at least use of gcc's header files.
> So you link your code with GPL'ed code by which your code becomes
> GPL'ed. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this.

You are free to substitute your own.

Alternatively, once you have a product written, you can purchase a
non-GPL'ed compiler, and recompile under it for the shippable product.

> The reason why people actually buy GPL'ed software is, like you already
> stated in another posting, because the extra service, support and/or
> manuals you get with the software. Furthermore you can make money by
> making tailormade applications for your client, think for example of
> e-bussiness servers with Apache/PHP/PostgreSQL (where the latter is
> truly free software, under a BSD style license). In 'conventional'
> business it is my experience that it is customary for tailormade
> projects that the sourcecode becomes available to the client.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Nils Zonneveld

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 06:36:07 -0500

Chad Everett wrote:

> *** Attention ***
>
> It's that time again!
>
> As many of you know, each year the Internet must be shut down
> for 24 hours in order to allow for cleaning.  The cleaning process,
> which eliminates dead email, inactive ftp and www sites, and
> objectionable material allows for a better-working and faster
> internet.
>
> This year, the cleaning process will take place from 12:01pm
> on Apr. 1st until 12:01pm on Apr 2nd.  During that 24-hour

Instead of saying "April 1st", you should write "this Sunday"

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux needs a standard, user proof distro
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:25:12 -0500

WesTralia wrote:

> Warren Bell wrote:
> >
> > With all the stuff I'm hearing about Windows XP and the WPA, that will
> > require you to have MS activate your PC after makeing any hardware
> > changes, makes me wish there was somthing out there to compete with
> > Windows.  I mean really compete.
> >
> > Linux is a great OS and is getting better all the time, but the average
> > computer user won't want to use it.  What I think Linux needs is a
> > light, user freindly version that anyone can use.  Somthing that's
> > stripped of most of the server functions and is made for a single or
> > multi user home system.  Somthing that even the untechnical user can use
> > without too many problems.  Here are some things that I think would be
> > needed to make this work:
> >
> > - A standard GUI that all Linux distros could use.

What do you mean by standard? Any distro can use any GUI.

> > - A GUI that's feels lighter and faster.

Faster and lighter than what? I use fvwm2 with GNOME and KDE libs/apps.
Its pretly light and snappy.

> > - All the most used admin (root) functions available from point and
> > click.

Since Im not a sys admin, I may be wrong, but arent three GUI tools for
most fo those things?

> > - All makers of the lighter distro to follow standards so all the
> > distros are similar.

If all the distros are similar, why have different distros?

> > - Of course, more programs that people need for everyday use.

They're coming.

> > I'd like to see Linux come out with somthing that would really compete
> > with windows and give people who arn't tech savvy a choice.  Any
> > thoughts on this?  Any distros that are trying to move twards an OS like
> > this?

Mandrake is one of the easiest around to install and use.

> Sounds to me that you are describing the Mac OSX.  I haven't used it or
> even seen it in "person" but I like the idea of the Aqua GUI, Unix kernel,
> and the fact that you can use either the command line or the GUI for real
> work.
>

>From many reports, MacOS X is really for leading edge people at the
moment. By summer it should have the consumer bugs worked out.

> I just wish the Mac people would port OSX to the PC and sell the OSX separately.
>
> In fact, that's my quiestion for the day: why don't they?

Becasue Apple makes most of its money from hardware. They have
historically had great OS's and expensive hardware with big profit
margins. If they port to x86, the hardware sales go away.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:27:55 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> WesTralia wrote:
> >
> > Warren Bell wrote:
> > >
> > > With all the stuff I'm hearing about Windows XP and the WPA, that will
> > > require you to have MS activate your PC after makeing any hardware
> > > changes, makes me wish there was somthing out there to compete with
> > > Windows.  I mean really compete.
> > >
> > > Linux is a great OS and is getting better all the time, but the average
> > > computer user won't want to use it.  What I think Linux needs is a
> > > light, user freindly version that anyone can use.  Somthing that's
> > > stripped of most of the server functions and is made for a single or
> > > multi user home system.  Somthing that even the untechnical user can use
> > > without too many problems.  Here are some things that I think would be
> > > needed to make this work:
> > >
> > > - A standard GUI that all Linux distros could use.
> > > - A GUI that's feels lighter and faster.
> > > - All the most used admin (root) functions available from point and
> > > click.
> > > - All makers of the lighter distro to follow standards so all the
> > > distros are similar.
> > > - Of course, more programs that people need for everyday use.
> > >
> > > I'd like to see Linux come out with somthing that would really compete
> > > with windows and give people who arn't tech savvy a choice.  Any
> > > thoughts on this?  Any distros that are trying to move twards an OS like
> > > this?
> >
> > Sounds to me that you are describing the Mac OSX.  I haven't used it or
> > even seen it in "person" but I like the idea of the Aqua GUI, Unix kernel,
> > and the fact that you can use either the command line or the GUI for real
> > work.
> >
> > I just wish the Mac people would port OSX to the PC and sell the OSX separately.
> >
> > In fact, that's my quiestion for the day: why don't they?
> >
> > --
>
> Apple can't get out of the obsolete Hardware <--> OS permanently tied together
> mode of thinking.

As usual, you are wrong about Apple.

> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis

<snip of obnoxiously long signature>
--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:25:54 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis"

> > > Americans weren't going around telling everyone that their primary
> > > political goal was to spark bloody revolutions.
> > >
> > > the Soviets were
> > >
> > > Spot the difference
> >
> > America supported insurgencies and counter insurgencies quietly.  Little
> > difference.  Our record in South America speaks for itself.
>

> And this supports the typical communist-advocates "the government
> can do no wrong" line of thinking how, exactly?

Try to stay on track and keep a line of thought, would ya.  It's a simple
fact that in the support of insurgencies and counter insurgencies, there was
little difference between the USSR and the USA.  You contend above that
there was a difference and imply that the difference was significant.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does Open Source exist, and what way is it developing?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 00:27:48 +1200

I can't agree with you more.

btw: what is your excuse for not using your real email address?

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Arrrrgh!  Hoist the Jolly Roger!
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:33:40 -0500

JS PL wrote:

> "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > The only new concept Microsoft have
> > introduced is the acceptability of unfinished and buggy code!
>
> That's strange. According to the United States Patent Office, Microsoft has
> introduced MANY more concepts than your one example.
>
> http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetaht
> ml%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=0&p=1&f=S&l=50&Query=microsoft&d=pall
>
> And a search for Microsoft at http://www.delphion.com/ turned up about 3500
> results. That's about one new patent every three days since 1975. If I had
> no life like the MS bashing regulars here, I might even peruse some of
> Microsoft's innovative concepts in more depth. But why would I? Their
> immense success with consumers and developers the least 26 years is proof
> enough that they provide excellent products at competitive prices. The fact
> that linux is struggling to maintain a 3 to 1000 computer ratio is proof
> enough that nobody want's anything to do with it on the desktop.

There's a LARGE difference between introducing new concepts and just
patenting things.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "Frank" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Java, the "Dot-Com" Language?
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:42:05 GMT

Don't laugh. Wait 'till next year

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:46:27 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stress Co-operation, not Hateful Competition

Brent R wrote:

> Excellent post and I agree wholeheartedly. "Different tools for
> different jobs". Windows is a lightweight OS, *nix is the heavyweight.
> Windows has too many excellent software apps to choose from to do
> without completely, but it's not really intended to be used as anything
> other than an "OS-lite" with which you could do some browsing, play some
> games, maybe write a paper, or do spreadsheets... but it's not really
> suitable for anything more, despite what MS tells you. Servers (of any
> kind), industrial work, processing work, etc. etc. ... I would choose
> something else.
>
> I just had a friend tell me the problem he was having running CAD
> software on Windows 2000, and that same program used to run on UNIX
> workstations with no problem. Unless MS cleans up it's act, it'll
> probably stay this way for quite some time.

Seems like Windows is horrible at a lot of things, but it HAS attracted
developers of games' attention because of its unified GUI/Windowing
system API and its popularity.  One thing Win 98/ME is good at is
graphics, like OpenGL, for example.  I think that in the past, Windows
had been much faster at rendering graphics.  When XFree86 4.0 came out,
I was blown away by the performance increase.  Mesa is too damned slow
IMO on lower-end Pentiums, and Windows comes with OpenGL runtime libs.

So, I don't know -- with certain types of graphics which involve
full-screen, perhaps Windows has the advantage here.  If I need anything
more than halfway decent multitasking, than I would use FreeBSD or
Linux.  Also, hopefully, Mesa is getting better and more efficient with
every release. In due time, Linux will be the platform of choice for 3D
rendering.

From: Scott Erb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.society.liberalism,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:49:32 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> > Under Batista there was no freedom of press, there was no free elections,
> > the politics were of open market and savage capitalism, there was no
> > socialized healthcare.
>
> See, this is why you fail.
>
> Capitalism is *NOT* right wing.
> Neither is an open-market economy.

Part right, part wrong.  Capitalism as a system is not left or right
wing.  Battista was right wing because he was a thug who ruled with
authoritarian methods, and basically sold out to the Mafia.  Castro has
a horrid system, I think, but it is better for average Cubans than life
under Battista.  Not that I'd recommend either path.

> What you are describing is a free economic market under a non-free >state.
>
> Of course, freedom of any sort is destabilizing, as economic freedom
> breeds the desire for political freedom.

That is probably true.  That is why China is so interesting right now.
They watched Russia's economy collapse after "too much" political
freedom (in their opinion) led to instability which thwarted economic
reform.  They fear China will drift into chaos and maybe civil war if
they go that path, so they are trying to promote economic change first.
It'll be interesting if bureaucratic elites ultimately relinquish some
power, and if the emerging middle class demands power.  Ironically,
China's situation is reminiscient of Taiwan's about 15 or so years ago.
China is post-Communist (despite their terminology), and following the
kind of state capitalist path other NICs followed.

-snip-

> Fascism and Communism are two sides of the same coin.

Perhaps that is too simplistic.  Their ideologies are very different,
but the way power gets exercised leads to possibilities of extreme abuse
of power in each. Franco was nowhere close to communist, for instance.
But Kurt Schumacher, the Socialist from Germany who led the SPD after
the war, called Communists "red painted fascists" and a lot of
Socialists and Social Democrats would certainly agree with what you say
about communism.

-snip-

> Interesting.  Could you point us to some position papers where they
> promulgate the economic order of 1930's Germany and Italy, and
> 1920's - Present Japan?

The German economy in the 30's was certainly not a centrally planned
economy, and was one of the world's only booming economies (making
people like Charles Lindbergh say America could learn from Nazi
Germany).  It was an untenable boom, based on an arms build up, but it
certainly wasn't anything like Stalinist Russia's policies.

> Last I checked, most of these groups were ragging on the Japanese
> economic model...which, if you do your homework, has been fascist
> for 80 years now.

???? Fascist Japan???

-snip rest, no comments on those points-
cheers, scott
http://violet.umf.maine.edu/~erb/

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 07:35:43 -0500

billh wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis"

> > > America supported insurgencies and counter insurgencies quietly.  Little
> > > difference.  Our record in South America speaks for itself.
> >

> > And this supports the typical communist-advocates "the government
> > can do no wrong" line of thinking how, exactly?
>
> Try to stay on track and keep a line of thought, would ya.  It's a simple
> fact that in the support of insurgencies and counter insurgencies, there was
> little difference between the USSR and the USA.  You contend above that
> there was a difference and imply that the difference was significant.

You know, Bill, for someone who claims to be an officer in the United States
Army, you really are a thick-head mule. (*)

A) The USSR supported insurgencies whose primary goal was to "liberate"
the people into enslaving themselves under the yoke of Communism
(name one Communist country which isn't a totalitarian police state),

B) the US supported insurgencies to overthrow totalitarian police states.

Compare and contrast.

(*) Of course, this is to be expected from a supposed combat-arms officer
who remains studiously unaware of the widespread practice in the 20th
century of shooting at well-marked (**) American medics and medical
installations, specifically the Germans and Japanese in WW2, the North
Koreans and Chinese in the Korean War, and the Viet Cong and North
Vietnamese in VietNam

(**) with proper Red Cross on a White Field insignia

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.