  Re: Linux needs a standard, user proof distro (tim@tim)

From: Carl Banks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: rec.sport.football.college
Subject: Interesting Article
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 20:17:11 -0400

Here's an interesting article I found about free softwore development.
Pretty interesting.  It talks about Linus a little further down.  Sort
of long, though.

April 1, 2001

Life as a Free Software developer

by Tony Shurple

Free software has become popular, but despite the glorified image, the
life of a free software developer is not often so rosy.

SILICON VALLEY, Ca. - Recently, free software has become very
significant in the computing world.  Free software is everywhere.
More than half of the world's web servers are run by Apache, a free
software program.  Linux, the only operating system to pose a
significant challenge to the dominance of Microsoft Windows in a
decade, is free software.  Many programming tools used today are free,
including languages such as Perl and Python, and gcc, an advanced C
compiler.

The current craze in free software is attributed to Richard Stallman,
founder of the Free Software Foundation.  In his essay, the GNU
Manfesto, he argues that software should be free as a matter of
principle.  Many have followed in his footsteps, "copylefting" their
software so it is guaranteed to remain free.

There are thousands of software developers who work on these projects
in their free time (although a few are paid to work on free software).
These developers often claim that they enjoy maintaining their
software as a hobby.

However, looking deeper, the world of free software development is not
as rosy as it seems on the surface.  Because most free software
developers do not get paid to develop their software, they must hold
jobs to make a living.  Thus, the time they spend maintaining their
free software comes from what little free time they have left.  In
some cases, demands on their time and resources become to much for
them to handle.  This can be especially true for software that
suddenly becomes very popular.

One person who has been hit hard by the popularity of his software is
Jason Pavrithase.  Pavrithase used to maintain a configuration tool
called Javapache, which allows a web administrator to easily configure
a web site that is running the Apache Web Server.  He developed the
program in Java for his own needs, but then decided to release his
program as free software.

"The reason I made it free," he said, "is because I wanted to give
back to the free software community.  I use free software every day,
and making my little program free was, I felt, the least I could do.

"Of course, I never imagined that it would become as popular as it is
now."

Its popularity, he says, is the reason why he no longer maintains it.
"Every day I get dozens of email messages from people.  Some are
rather harmless, just dropping me a line saying they find it helpful.
(I made the mistake of asking people to do this in some of my early
releases.)

"More often, I have people asking me to do stuff.  'Will you please
add this feature for me?'  'Please hurry up with the next release, I
need it bad!'  'Are you still working on this?  You haven't released a
new version in a long time, and I hope you're still working on it.'
'When are you going to fix that bug you had in your known-bugs list
for several months?'  'Can you tell me how to use your software?'
'I'm having trouble getting this to work, what do you think is wrong?'
'I didn't understand your instructions.  Can you tell me what a text
editor is?'  It just goes on and on.

"And the thing that really bothers me is that very few of these
people, maybe 30 percent, seem to understand that I do this for free,
on my own time.  Even less give me any indication at all that they
have done any work on their own.  They just expect me to do
everything."

Pavrithase says he would get, on average, 30 emails a day from users
of his software.  Most of these messages are requests for new
features, or requests for help using the software.

"Having being inundulated with these messages for over a year," said
Pavrithase, "I regret to say that the people using my software are
complete idiots.  Not just idiots, but lazy, selfish, idiots.  I don't
know what that says about my software.

"I mean, there was once a time when I was optimistic about the human
plight.  No more.  I am no longer amazed by these subhuman leeches
that have no capability of perform any quasi-challenging task on their
own.  I often wonder exactly what twisted process occurs within these
so-called people that they manage pass off as rational thought.  I
would understand if all the apespeak I get comes from AOL or WebTV,
but how do people who work for Sun Microsystems and Symmantec
effectively renounce their claim to a soul by sending me such
Nyquist-challenged crap?"

Pavrithase originally tried to deal with the problem by responding to
people with polite form letters, as well as putting a notice in the
documentation about what kind of email he is able to answer.  It
didn't work; in fact, it made matters worse.

He said, "So I figured I'd send someone a polite 'thank you for your
interest, but since I maintain the software on my free time, I cannot
guarantee when the next release will be.'  What do these ungrateful
pigmen respond with?  Sorrow?  No, hostility.  'What do you mean you
can't give me a release date?' or 'You suck,' or 'Why should I use
your software, you incompetent fool!'  And after I released my new
guidelines for emailing me, people started sendimg me messages like,
'Ok, Mr. Jerk, I won't ask you how to use a program YOU wrote.'  If
they even read the guidelines.

"These people are ungrateful little turds.  I do this for free, out of
the kindness of my heart, and this is the thanks I get.  Well guess
what?  I don't care about them any more.  Let them configure Apache by
hand."

Pavrithase says he has only one regret about no longer maintaining
Javapache.  "There's a lot of intelligent people using this program.
They're the ones I hate to let down.  But, thanks to the parade of
incarnate vomit I was drowning in, I had to."

Many developers of open source projects are faced with the same
problems Pavrithase faced.  Rather than face the overbearing users,
many have instead avoided them by working behind the scenes in
relative obscurity as part of a team.  By leaving the spotlight and
glory to others, they feel they can still contribute to free software
without facing the hordes.  Yet this path can also be wrought with
unwarranted demands on their time, as Roscow Flimbost can attest to.

Rocsow Flimbost is a software engineer who now works for Microsoft.
Formerly, he was a key member of the Linux development team, but says
he left the project because he was spending too much time working on
the Linux kernel, and not enough time with his family.  He accepted
his current position shortly after leaving the Linux team.

Flimbost got his first taste of the free software world when he
released a small memory debugging library called ezmalloc he had
developed for his own use.  "It was an instant success," he said.
"Many people were attracted to it's simplicity."  But soon, its
success became a perpetual nightmare for Flimbost.  "I didn't really
want to continue developing it," he said.  "It was quite a boring
project.  But I got mounds of email from people who would telling me
how much they loved the simplicity of the design, and then request
for new features.  Seeing that it was much loved, I decided to
continue working on it.  I was naive: I tried to please everyone, and
soon my simple ezmalloc became a twisted, bug-filled, complex monster.
The mounds praise soon turned into mountains of hostile flames, and
more feature requests.

"Soon it was too much for me to handle.  I gave up the project.  Yet,
at the time, I still believed in Richard Stallman's free software
ideal.  I'm not much of a people person, so I figured I'd work more
behind the scenes from now on."

About a year later, Flimbost encountered Linus Torvalds.  "Linus swept
me away," Flimbost said.  "He was dyanamic, forceful.  He spoke with
the passion and charisma of a Baptist gospel minister.  And most of
all, he was hellbent on overtaking Microsoft Windows as the world's
most popular operating system.  He promised a land flowing with milk
and honey, a land of free software, and I bought it.

"I was soon a high-ranking member of the Linux development family.
Linus was like a god on the Linux development list, always making a
joke or funny remark to keep the spirits up, and always pushing us on.
He was always prodding us to work just a little harder, to put that
extra minute in, so that sooner would we overthrow the Satan called
Microsoft.

"Being a high ranking member of the family, I was also on speaking
terms with Linus.  As development of the 2.1 kernel dragged on, Linus
began calling more frequently, asking me how things were, and how much
time I was spending on memory management.  He would never condemn me,
but always reminded me of the importance of free software and that we
must make sacrifices.

"I began to notice that I was indeed spending more and more time
working on the kernel.  At the same time, I began to perceive Linus'
jokes as less and less funny, and his inspirational messages seemed
more hostile.  Yet I continued.  I suppose I figured that once the
2.2 kernel was finally released, everything would be better again.

"In fact, when we released 2.2, it did get better, for awhile.  But
soon, it got worse than ever.  Yet I still believed in the Free
Software Ideal, and so I carried on.  Despite straining relations with
my wife and young daughter, I carried on."

He looked down and sighed heavily.  "It was the most difficult time in
my life," he said.  "I missed my daugter's first T-ball game because
we needed a 'quick' fix for a virtual memory bug."  Again he sighed
heavily and shook his head.

"One day, my wife suggested we go on a two-week vacation, something we
hadn't done in years.  I protested that Linus wouldn't approve, but
she said we needed to spend more time together, and I knew she was
right.  I resolved to beg Linus for leave to go on this vacation.

"To my surprise, Linus had no problems with with it.  'Have fun,' he
said.  So my family and I left for Florida and had a very nice and
refreshing vacation; and thanks to Linus' blessing, it was guilt-free.

"No sooner had we arrived home when the phone rang.  It was Linus.  He
furiously asked me what was taking so long with the new disk caching
algorithm I was supposed to be working on.

"I reminded him that I had been on vacation for the last two weeks.
He just said, 'Don't you know what a laptop is?  That disk caching
algorithm is an important part of the next release--you're abandoning
your duties to your family!'"

He sighed again.  "That was the last straw.  I suddenly and forcefully
realized how much I had allowed Linus to control my life.  I began to
cry," he said, also shedding a tear as he spoke to me.  "I told Linus
I was done with the family, and I no longer belived in free software.
He just grumbled and hung up."

He suddenly smiled and beamed, "Soon, I quit my old job and joined the
staff at Microsoft.  I now devote my time to destroying the free
software movement, and the mind-control tactics employed by those in
charge."  He went on to explain how he plans to start a support group
for recovering free-software developers.

Although his life has been much better, Flimbost says he has not fully
escaped from the shadow of his free software days.  "I still get
several emails a day about ezmalloc," he says.

While Flimbost describes an almost cultish culture in the free
software community, others in the community disagree.  I spoke to none
other than Linus Torvalds about it.  Naturally, Torvalds had a very
different version of the story.

"Roscow Flimbost simply didn't have what it takes to be one of the big
boys in the Linux kernel," he said.  "Yet he made many vain attempts.
He would read the mailing list, and when a difficult task was assigned
to someone, he would try to finish the task first.  We thought this
was cute, if pathetic, at first, but then it began to really annoy us.
Finally, after many rejections of his code, he got fed up and left.

"Everything he said about me he made up.  He's simply bitter.  I hope
he's happy in current job drawing toolbar icons for Microsoft.  We're
certainly happier."  (Indeed, according to Microsoft, Flimbost's job
is to draw icons.)

Even if developing free software is not as time-consuming as Flimbost
makes it out to be, many do spend quite a lot of their free time on
it.

"Free software development is tough," Pavrithase said.  "It seems on
the outside to be a fun, glory-filled adventure.  But in reality, it
is a thankless, cold, unforgiving pasttime.  It takes much fortude to
be able to handle it.

Pavrithase finished with a word of advice for the user: "The next time
you use free software, take a moment to consider the sacrifice these
people made for you, and appreciate it."

--
CARL BANKS

"What is life but a series of inspired follies?"
    -- Henry Higgins in _Pygmalion_, by George Bernard Shaw

------------------------------

From: LShaping <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows "speed"
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 01:09:40 GMT

"David Rheaume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm sorry, but where do you purchase your crack?  NT4 absolutely *flies* on
>a P3/600.  It flies on a P/200 with 32 MB RAM.

Since I do not use NT, but have many thousands of hours with Windows
3.1/9x/Me, I can tell you that if NT 4 is slower than consumer
versions of Windows, David is the one using drugs.  Now, would whoever
keeps crossposting to or from alt.destroy.microsoft, please stop and
also stop changing the subject line.  This is not a Windows advocacy
group :o)
Out,
LShaping

From: Gunner© <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,misc.survivalism
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 18:25:33 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >The same reason why the U.S. kidknapped German scientists during WW11.
>>
>> Name two.
>>
>> You are aware that the U.S. did offer immigrant status to a goodly
>> number of German scientists AFTER the war.. scientists who would other
>> wise have been tried, convicted and executed for war crimes? Werner
>> Von Braun comes to mind.
>>

>Considering that the Soviet Red Army had prices on their heads, that
>was definitely the rational thing to do.

And we NEEDED a jump start into the space age..yes, it did make sense.
If we had anyone of equal caliber working on rockets.. Von Braun etc
would have hung.

gunner

 "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
 invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write
 a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort
 the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone,
 solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program
 a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
 gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

------------------------------

From: "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 13:26:58 +1200

> There is an illegal, criminal provision in the contract which forbids the
> library from installing Netscape on any of the boxen.

Do you have the text of this provision available to you?

> Since the boxes were donated by MS, I assume they were set up
> correctly by Redmond.  They are 600 MHZ 128 MB 2 GB NT4 boxen and they
> are slow and lumbering like drunken rhinos trying to climb out of a
> slippery muddy slope.  Depressing!

That about sums up all my experiences with NT...  generally stable, but slow
as all hell.  Once it finally gets started, it's closer to usable, but it's
such a dog to get moving.

> >It flies on a P/200 with 32 MB RAM.
>
> Haha.  My sysadmin friends say that OS/2 server serves 200 clients on
> the above configuration while NT will not serve even one.  What gives?

Your sysadmin friends are lying, is what gives.  NT on that hardware will
definitely serve at least 4 clients.  It might sound like I'm trying to be
sarcastic, but that's the only real world figure I have...  we ran an NT
server on a P200 as a dialup gateway type thingy for our flat, but also a
domain server as a learning exercise (this was a little before I lost all
respect for the MCSE qualification).

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 19:26:47 -0700

Just for fun, can we skip the word games on democracy and republic?  The
word are normally used interchangeably when discussing our political system.
Only PoliSci geeks worry about the difference between the two.  This is like
aaron worrying about communism vs socialism.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 19:28:07 -0700

Uh-huh... another generality that you really can't back up?  Most of the
anti-government guys do that alot.  Make broad statements then not being
able to back them up.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

news:9a887o$co9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 19:29:22 -0700

Also his demonstrated instability and hostility towards the US government.
Officers must be loyal.  aaron isn't.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

news:znKx6.15887$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Roger Perkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 19:30:26 -0700

Ya know, Bill, this is really interesting.  I didn't post in the "who shot
the medic" argument.  He's just lying again and hopes nobody will notice.

Roger
AIRBORNE!

"billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:uRJx6.15815$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>

> > I suppose that she's soooooo smart that she holds your belief that the
> > Germans, Japanese, North Koreans, Chinese, Viet Cong, and North
Vietnamese

------------------------------

From: Gunner© <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 18:35:24 -0700

"Dana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Yet by your definition, all our recent Presidents
>> who talk about our democracy, all our legislators, all our supreme court
>> justices, all who interpret the constitution and our system more like me
>> than like you are just as guilty.  In fact, by your definition, about
>> 95% of the country is an enemy of the constitution!
>
>No Erb, there is a major difference between having democratic elections, and
>a liberal democracy. That you fail to see the difference is why you are
>wrong.
>>
>> The rest of your inane babble snipped.  You discredit yourself with your
>> tirades and pathetic attempts at threats.

I agree with Aaron and Dana.

From: tim@tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux needs a standard, user proof distro
Date: 1 Apr 2001 17:45:17 -0700

In article <9a8b4t$4vn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Masha says...

>I'd rather learn to use an OS on its own terms even if that means learning
>to master a CLI.

OK, but zillions other do not want to learn the OS or a CLI.

You go learn it if you want. MS is smart enough to know for each one
of you, there are million others who is on the other side.

You become good at CLI and learning the OS, and MS become more rich
selling an OS for those who do not want to learn too much to use it.

Linux I am afraid still way behind in terms of ease of use and being
an end use machine. It is still too complicated to use.

This is improving, but at a very slow pace. The main problem, linux,
and open source faces, which has faced Unix for 30 years, and there
is no solution in sight, is the too many favlours of it and the
too many desktops, and lack of standard way to manage the computer.

MS way, no matter how bad you consider it, at least it is one way,
and not 20 ways like with Unix and Linux.

This whole CLI vs GUI does not apply at all to end uses. We all know, the
ones in the computer field, that CLI is much more powerfull, but this
means nothing. Becuase the end user will never learn the CLI. some will,
but the majority will want to point and click, and nothing else.