From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Arrrrgh!  Hoist the Jolly Roger!
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 06:14:46 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > GreyCloud ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> > : No,... I don't think so.  You see, with every release of windows, the
> > : user has to keep upgrading to a newer system to maintain the same
> > : response.  With the Pentium IV, which is turning into a space heater, it
> > : will run XP just fine.... but not my wifes' PII @ 233 Mhz.  Linux offers
> > : the end user the opportunity to hang on to their machines a lot longer
> > : and go a lot easier on the wallet.  I introduced my wife to CDE (Common
> >
> > I recognised this very problem a long time ago, long before CPUs became foot
> > warmers with the dissipated heat. I like knowing the machine I buy today will
> > last for years to come with Linux on it. I will be buying a used laptop from a
> > corporate "garage sale", surely surplus from the upgrade-go-round, but will
> > get it for $75. And I'll be putting Linux on it. Maybe no X, but it will run
> > Linux.
> >
> > : Desktop Environment) and she liked it a lot better than the Win98se that
> > : she has now.  The tide is slowly turning as the common people that buy
> > : off the shelf ready to run computers to find that things worked one way
> > : yesterday and now things are working differently today.
> >
> > The upgrade-go-round is old hat. What's "new" is escalating prices for the
> > Winblows software.
> >
> > : Or, the very frustrated user, putting up with lock-ups or BSODS.  The
> > : end user will start viewing this as something akin to a "Lemon".  They
> > : will eventually start trying alternatives to get away from these
> > : frustrations.  I'm not including NT or W2K in this list as you don't see
> > : these pre-loaded at any of our local stores, but maybe in large cities.
> >
> > Corporations are leading the way in looking for alternatives for servers now,
> > becuse of chronic BSODs. And in my case as a commoner who uses Linux, I have
> > distinct memories of lockups with 95 and 3.11. You'd be doing something and it
> > would randomly lock up with a GPF or some such crap. I always loved the
> > "general protection failt at <insert hex here>" message. Very user-UNfriendly!
> >
> > Windows is about as stable as a balancing bowl full of water.
> >

> LOL!!  The bowl of water trick is hard to do without spilling a drop.
> If you don't want to spill any water is to not pick it up!
>
> I may start a new thread on this one.  An old electronics tech, retired
> after 33 years of service, but computer illiterate, wants to know if
> there are any computers that come with an O/S other than mickeysoft but
> still easy to use.  He doesn't want to know a whole hell of a lot about
> the o/s... just wants to use it reliably.  He has on his right hand a
> glove to keep his hand warm all of the time and can't use it on a mouse.
> Does Linux have a good solution for a non-southpaw?  A pre-configured
> system with no admin is desired.  He wants to communicate with his son
> via web-cam and just surf.  He has fiber optics outside his house from
> AT&T.  Any suggestions is really appreciated!

Yeah..buy him a glove that uses Thinsulate(tm), made by 3M.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What is user friendly?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 06:17:53 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > GreyCloud wrote:

> > > In DCL to make a variable local it was $ var1 := whatever...
> > > Global it was $ var2 :== whatever...
> >
> > Sounds like a bug breeding factory.
> >

> Not really... it's security.  It makes your intent clear.  But it also
> makes things difficult if one isn't aware of these nuances.
> Basically as one vendor put it "VMS is a wordy O/S and more akin to
> english, while UNIX is terse but more flexible."  I learned VMS before
> anything else, except old IBM fortran.  Now I'm on my own trying to
> learn UNIX and all its goodies.  Being retired without any pressures
> makes UNIX a fun project.

Learn C and you will learn Unix.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT multitasking: some humiliating defeats! :)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 06:23:04 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> 667 Neighbor of the Beast wrote:
> >
> > "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> > >
> > > Said Stephen S. Edwards II in alt.destroy.microsoft on 3 Apr 2001

> > You know, this is all just a little bit silly here.  The claim was
> > that OS/2 could run over 255 programs at once.  The fact that it can
> > run 255 programs at once is apparently not open to dispute, as this is
> > what IBM testing found.  However, what is being attacked here is the
> > heretical notion that OS/2 can run *more* than 255 programs at once,
> > which is based on anecdotal evidence.  *Note that there is no argument
> > that OS/2 can indeed run 255 programs at once!*  Isn't Stephen being
> > silly here?

> > Once again, this is just a bit silly.  Get 100 or 1000 Amiga users
> > together, tell them that my friend ran 110 programs on a 50 MHZ 16 MB
> > machine, and ask them if he is a liar.  I am sure that most of them
> > would say something like, "Well, of course the Amiga can do that".
> > "Anybody knows that."  Note that this is the anecdotal evidence that
> > is being attacked here.  Notice Stephen's silly behavior.
> > >

> Any computer that has a multi-tasking O/S can run over 255 programs...
> Its a matter of if you want the results today or sometime next year.

When I was in college, we typically had up to 150 users on a 64 Meg,
4 x 30 MHz CPU Gould NP-1...usually running somewhere in the neighborhood
of 1000 processes...and response was very quick....quick enough that
I never noticed any delays (i.e. response was limited by the speed of
the 9600-bit/second serial lines to the terminals, not CPU bottlenecks.

> > > Sorry, putz, they are.  They may or may not be proof, but they are
> > > evidence.

> > Notice here that Stephen continues to insist that all evidence showing
> > any OS is better than NT at anything, much less multitasking, is
> > "anecdotal".  Note that Stephen refuses to comment on the c't Magazine
> > benchmark test of last August or the test this individual did on this
> > page.
> >
> > http://www.macarlo.com/warpfp12win2k1002.htm
> >
> > Why the silence, Stephen?  Cat got ur tongue?
> > --
> > Bob
> > Being flamed?  Don't know why?  Take the Flame Questionnaire(TM)
> > today!
> > Why do you think you are being flamed?
> > [ ] You crossposted
> > [ ] You continued a long, stupid thread
> > [ ] You started an off-topic thread
> > [ ] You posted something totally uninteresting
> > [ ] People don't like your tone of voice
> > [ ] Your stupidity is astounding
> > [ ] You suck

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Baseball
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 06:26:17 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >
> > Still got "Dr Who?" on Television here, at 6:00pm on channel Prime, just
> > before the english comedy "Last of the summer wine"
> >
> > Matthew Gardiner
> >

> Ouch!! I'm missing out!!  It's not shown here anymore. I have a whole
> bookcase full of video tapes from a canadian station.  Then the cable
> company pulled them.
>
> Hopefully... someday....

I think WGN still shows it.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 06:32:15 -0400

billh wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>
> > > Is that what you call the statement that you'd only elect to attend PLDC
> in
> > > the event of another war.  That ain't duty KuKuNut.  That is
> malingering.
> >
> > If my commander WANTS to send me to PLDC.
> >
> > Personally, I couldn't care less about my rank.
>
> Or the inherent responsibilty of leadership that comes with the rank.

I have enough responsibility in the private sector.

To take on additional responsibility under these circumstances would mean
a) giveing the Army less than an honest effort
  and/or
b) giving my employer (which is the source of the TAX MONEY which pays
        for the military in the first place) less than an honest effort
  and/or
c) shirking family responsibilities.

As an honorable person, I don't bite off more than I can chew.

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 06:52:56 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> [...]
> > to read it,
> > > particularly the section entitled "LICENSE TO MICROSOFT". If you've ever
> > > had any doubts about the nature of that company reading that section
> > should
> > > put them to rest for good and all!
> > >
> > > I don't know how many times I've heard Microsoft described as "evil" by
> > > Linux zealots and open source supporters (which I am both) and thought,
> > > "They're losing it... Microsoft is just a company!" but now I'm forced
> > > to agree with them.  This license is heinous, and more, it's frightening
> > > because I know that some people won't read it and will lose the rights
> > > to their own data/content without knowing. Add that to the fact that
> > > the license is clearly attempting to gain the rights to *ALL CONTENT
> > > WHICH PASSES OVER ANY SERVICE THEY PROVIDE*. For example... this
> > > article could be copied by someone and sent to someone else who uses
> > > the hotmail email service. According to the license Microsoft would then
> > > own the rights to this article! Unbelieveable you say? Go read it and see
> > > for yourself.
> > >
> > > Most of the time when confronted with things like this I may rage for
> > > a while but I usually conclude that there is little that I can do to
> > > cause the policy to change so why bother doing anything at all but not
> > > this time!
> > >
> > > Effective with this posting the following blocks are in place against
> > > email inbound to MoonGroup.com or any of it's domains. If you truly
> > > understand what their license means you will do the same on your mail
> > > server.
> > >
> > > msn.com 550 Microsoft licenses are unacceptable. No mail from their
> > services will be accepted.
> > > msn.net 550 Microsoft licenses are unacceptable. No mail from their
> > services will be accepted.
> > > microsoft.com 550 Microsoft licenses are unacceptable. No mail from their
> > services will be accepted.
> > > microsoft.net 550 Microsoft licenses are unacceptable. No mail from their
> > services will be accepted.
> > > hotmail.com 550 Microsoft licenses are unacceptable. No mail from their
> > services will be accepted.
> > > hotmail.net 550 Microsoft licenses are unacceptable. No mail from their
> > services will be accepted.
> > >
> > > As this is clearly a pre-cursor of what Microsoft's .Net initative is
> > > all about I will be watching very closely to see where it goes. I had
> > > thought that SOAP might be something very useful which would help to
> > > open them up a bit but after reading this license it's clear to me that
> > > all that .Net and Hailstorm are going to be is just another sad example
> > > of "embrace and extend".
> > >
> > > I fear them for what they are doing! I despise them for doing it!
> > >
> > > Good luck to all of us... we're going to need it!
>
> <sigh> Do you guys ever think for youself?
>
> Do you think that any such terms would ever stand up in court?
> Of course not.
>
> Just because it's in a license agreement does not mean it's instantly

IIRC most shrinkwrap licenses have been help up in court. IN addition,
you woould have to sue Micro$soft, which have a large cost in dollars
and time. In my opinion, it would be a much better soloution to avaid
the problem byu avaiding sites that might "covert' content into
Micro$oft's property.
--
Rick