From: "JS PL" <jspl@jsplom>
Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:15:08 -0400

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:38:18 -0400, JS PL <jspl@jsplom> wrote:
> >
> >"Ray Chason"
> >>Microsoft has money.  I don't.
> >
> >That's the main beef the anti-ms crowd has with Microsoft.
> >

> That's a complete lie.  The main beefs are Microsoft's predatory
> business practices, their attempts to destroy competitors through
> illegal business practices, their draconian licensing, their blatant
> attempts to charge for every bit that goes in and out of your
> communication and computing devices, their downright theft of
> code that they hide by closing their source, and their crappy
> software.

And the fact remains. Microsoft has money, I don't. Waaaaaa!!! mommy,
waaaahhhhh! Billy's gonna take all my stuff if I use his free mail service
waaaaaaa!!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 4 Apr 2001 12:10:17 -0500

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:55:25 -0400, JS PL <jspl@jsplom> wrote:

>"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Are you saying (assuming Chad is correct in his interpretation) that
>> your company doesnt mind any commuications it sends through Hotmail
>> becoming the property of Micro$oft?
>
>There's a "company" using hotmail? Damn.

Of course we're not just talking about hotmail.  .NET and the Microsoft
passport system are a lot more than just hotmail.

Microsoft wants to use .NET and the passport transport system to let
end-users store and communicate banking information, credit card, information,
private correspondence, and on and on.  ANd all you data "will live
securely on the Internet" (a direct MS quote).  Combine that with this:

--
"LICENSE TO MICROSOFT
By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, submitting any

1. Use, modify, copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly
perform, reproduce, publish, sublicense, create derivative works from,
transfer, or sell any such communication.
2. Sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any of
the foregoing rights granted with respect to the communication.
3. Publish your name in connection with any such communication.

The foregoing grants shall include the right to exploit any proprietary
rights in such communication, including but not limited to rights under
copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant
jurisdiction. No compensation will be paid with respect to Microsoft's
use of the materials contained within such communication. Microsoft is
under no obligation to post or use any materials you may provide and may
remove such materials at any time in Microsoft's sole discretion."
--

and Microsoft will own your ass, inside and out.  But, of course, JS PL
thinks that's just grand.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 4 Apr 2001 12:04:38 -0500

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 4 Apr 2001 12:13:11 -0500

On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:55:25 -0400, JS PL <jspl@jsplom> wrote:

>"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Are you saying (assuming Chad is correct in his interpretation) that
>> your company doesnt mind any commuications it sends through Hotmail
>> becoming the property of Micro$oft?
>
>There's a "company" using hotmail? Damn.

Of course we're not just talking about hotmail.  .NET and the Microsoft
passport system are a lot more than just hotmail.

Microsoft wants to use .NET and the passport transport system to let
end-users store and communicate banking information, credit card, information,
private correspondence, and on and on.  ANd all you data "will live
securely on the Internet" (a direct MS quote).  Combine that with this:

--
"LICENSE TO MICROSOFT
By posting messages, uploading files, inputting data, submitting any
feedback or suggestions, or engaging in any other form of communication
with or through the Passport Web Site, you warrant and represent that
you own or otherwise control the rights necessary to do so and you are
granting Microsoft and its affiliated companies permission to:

1. Use, modify, copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly
perform, reproduce, publish, sublicense, create derivative works from,
transfer, or sell any such communication.
2. Sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any of
the foregoing rights granted with respect to the communication.
3. Publish your name in connection with any such communication.

The foregoing grants shall include the right to exploit any proprietary
rights in such communication, including but not limited to rights under
copyright, trademark, service mark or patent laws under any relevant
jurisdiction. No compensation will be paid with respect to Microsoft's
use of the materials contained within such communication. Microsoft is
under no obligation to post or use any materials you may provide and may
remove such materials at any time in Microsoft's sole discretion."
--

and Microsoft will own your ass, inside and out.  But, of course, JS PL
thinks that's just grand.

comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.lang.java.tech,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Linux + PostgreSQL + Apache + JDBC + Tomcat JSP / Servlets:  Ready for
prime time?
From: Greg Copeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Apr 2001 12:26:17 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun) writes:

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 04:08:59 -0500, Flacco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> |
> |In the past, I've used NT/VB/IIS/ASP/MTS/SQLServer for web apps.  I'm a
> |recent Linux convert, and would like to look into using
> |Linux/Apache/Tomcat/JDBC/PostrgreSQL for some future projects.
> |
> | From what I see so far, I like it conceptually, but I wonder how this
> |combination performs in the real world, in terms of speed and
> |reliability, on modest hardware (say, dual P700's with 256MB).
> |
> |I don't want to invest a lot of time in this kind of environment if
> |there are performance problems under load, if services stop running
> |unexpectedly, if ports mysteriously shut down, etc. etc.
> |
> |Has anyone worked extensively with this combination?  What were your
> |experiences?
> |
> |Would you recommend replacement implementations for any of the
> |components I've listed to make the environment more reliable?
> |
> |Any pointers to websites that discuss these issues?
>

> Unless you need any of the advanced features of PostgreSQL,
> then mSQL or MySQL would be faster.

Not true.  PostgreSQL has been kicking butt and taking names.  PostgreSQL
is pretty fast now, plus is supports transactions.  MySQL, specifically,
has scalability issues.  I personally would recomment Post, that Borland
DB that I can never remember the name of, Oracle, Sybase, etc.  Notice
that mSQL and MySQL never entered the list.  Finding scalability issues
is these two small database is common and forced more than one conversion
to other databases.

Greg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 4 Apr 2001 12:06:56 -0500

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 4 Apr 2001 12:15:56 -0500

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 4 Apr 2001 12:19:25 -0500

From: Greg Copeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Apr 2001 12:28:48 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine) writes:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Flacco
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 22 Mar 2001 04:08:59 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >In the past, I've used NT/VB/IIS/ASP/MTS/SQLServer for web apps.  I'm a
> >recent Linux convert, and would like to look into using
> >Linux/Apache/Tomcat/JDBC/PostrgreSQL for some future projects.
>
> For clarity's sake (the equivalences are rough, and in terms of
> functionality):
>
> NT = Linux
> VB = Java
> IIS = Apache
> ASP = JSP
> MTS = ?
> SQLServer = various (PostgreSQL, mySQL, mSQL, Oracle, DB2)
> ODBC = JDBC
> ? = Jakarta/Tomcat

Wanted to point out that ODBC is available for UNIX and Linux.

Greg

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <jspl@jsplom>
Subject: Re: Hey, JS PL was Re: Microsoft abandoning USB?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:31:53 -0400

That's interesing. Maybe someone on a DSL line could download the software
to view the licensing information that comes with that version of IE. If
it's like every other licence I've ever seen it expressly prohibits
redistribution.

"COPYING OR REPRODUCTION OF THE SOFTWARE TO ANY OTHER SERVER OR LOCATION FOR
FURTHER REPRODUCTION OR REDISTRIBUTION IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED, UNLESS SUCH
REPRODUCTION OR REDISTRIBUTION IS EXPRESSLY PERMITTED BY THE LICENSE
AGREEMENT ACCOMPANYING SUCH SOFTWARE."

news:9afjn4$hud$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Greg Copeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 04 Apr 2001 12:35:30 -0500

> > Bear in mind that a more important factor might well be the
> > disk drive I/O buss as opposed to the CPUs, although it depends
> > on the application.  I'm using SCSI, for example, which gives
> > good performance.  Cheaper machines use IDE, although it's possible
> > UDMA100 or UDMA66 might be decent; I don't know.
>
> I'd sound a big 'NO' in that department.  IDE simply sucks rocks, no
> matter which OS you use; in every fasionable meter you care to
> construct.

I'd like to vote for that statement.  IDE uses much more CPU no matter
what OS is in use.  You also need to keep in mind that, last I heard,
there wasn't a drive around that could actually keep UDMA66 saturated
let alone UDMA100.  In fact, last I heard, little was gained over
UDMA33 implementations.  If a UDMA33/7200RPM drive is maxed out, you're
not going to be able to grab much more by increasing the transfer rate
when the drive is already maxed.  What you do get is more shared
bandwith, but with two drive per chain, that means that UDMA66 should
have enough to drive two very fast IDE drives.

In short, if you need disk i/o, fibber, copper, and SCSI is the only
route to go.  Rumors of serial ATA *may* change this, but for now, SCSI
on up is where performance is at.

Greg

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <jspl@jsplom>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:38:36 -0400

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9afjn4$hud$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "JS PL" <jspl@jsplom> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > What product did you "buy" that adds IE5 to their DOWNLOAD???? I've
never
> > seen any company tack on a 60 meg file that's available for free
elsewhere
> > anyway!! What company is adding an un-necessary 60mb or so file to their
> > product download? Hmmm....That's very interesting. You_did_"buy"_it,
> didn't
> > you??
>
> Sorry to burst your bubble, but I just happened to go to this page:
> http://www.aonix.com/Products/CSDS/oa.win.free2.html
> a.. Full Special Edition (77 MB)
> Includes all Core and Help files plus Internet Explorer and Sun Java
> Development Kit (JDK).

And what about this??
"Please note that the Permissions/Copyright Group will not grant special
permission rights to redistribute Microsoft Internet Explorer (and/or any
components thereof)."
at:
http://www.microsoft.com/permission/copyrgt/cop-soft.htm#IE

dang, foiled again?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.arch
Subject: Re: IA32, was an advocacy rant
Date: 4 Apr 2001 17:17:13 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Alexis Cousein  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]

IA32 has occasionally jumped ahead of RISC for integer, but IIRC they're
still way back in FP.

> > Well, the physical address bus is 36 bits these days, which means 64gb,
> > but the virtual address space for processes is still 32 bits or 4gb. The
> > physical address extensions (PAE) were introduced in the Pentium Pro
> > series, and AMD included support for them in the Athlon (K7). These
> > extensions require modifications to the page tables and thus, OS support.

There's a special hotrodded version of Windows NT that has support for it
but IIRC only one version of Oracle actually uses it.

> While arguably you could use these to support a kernel that handles more
> than 4GB, I doubt many *applications* would actually be able to use more
> than 2 or 4GB, at least not without another ILP model than that normally
> used (ILP32).

What they do is play with the page tables. It's very much like the original
QEMM and LIM hacks to get more than 1M in 80x86 real mode under DOS: you
make system calls to overlay bits of high (>2G) memory in your 2G address
range.

I don't see how it'd be any faster than memory mapping the database and moving
the offset, unless the Win32 memory mapping is particularly inefficient.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

From: "JS PL" <jspl@jsplom>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:42:45 -0400

What the fuck! Take your spasm medicine!