From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hey, JS PL was Re: Microsoft abandoning USB?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:28:58 +0200

"JS PL" <jspl@jsplom> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9afjn4$hud$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "JS PL" <jspl@jsplom> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > What product did you "buy" that adds IE5 to their DOWNLOAD???? I've
> never
> > > seen any company tack on a 60 meg file that's available for free
> elsewhere
> > > anyway!! What company is adding an un-necessary 60mb or so file to
their
> > > product download? Hmmm....That's very interesting. You_did_"buy"_it,
> > didn't
> > > you??
> >
> > Sorry to burst your bubble, but I just happened to go to this page:
> > http://www.aonix.com/Products/CSDS/oa.win.free2.html
> > a.. Full Special Edition (77 MB)
> > Includes all Core and Help files plus Internet Explorer and Sun Java
> > Development Kit (JDK).
>
> And what about this??
> "Please note that the Permissions/Copyright Group will not grant special
> permission rights to redistribute Microsoft Internet Explorer (and/or any
> components thereof)."
> at:
> http://www.microsoft.com/permission/copyrgt/cop-soft.htm#IE
>
> dang, foiled again?

Then how can magazines distribue it on CDs? And ISPs?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 14:36:49 -0400

silverback wrote:

> On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 13:10:59 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Given that I oppose powerful government and in fact my biggest criticism of the
> >> Left is that it too often ignores the danger of centralized power, your question
> >> is based on a false premise.  Since I've made my aversion to powerful government
> >> clear earlier in this thread, I have to assume that you are also being dishonest
> >> in making the statement you make.
> >
> >Tell us how you propose to steal even more from the productive for the
> >benefit of the lazy and other parasites without more centralized power.
>
> progressive taxation is not stealing anything from what you want to
> call productive people.

Ok...let's say, you go to the store...and the grocer asks you how
much you make....and charges you for food according to how much you
make.

Lets say, you get a new job, which pays you double what your previous
job pays....and so, the grocer says, "Ah, you are a lucky man.  Now,
I charge yout TRIPLE for groceries"

Except with taxes, you don't have a choice of going to a different
grocer.  Taxes are taken under threat of violence or imprisonment,
which is to say, it is an extortion racket.

Extortion is theft.  And theft is slavery by indirect means.

Which explains exactly why you are so such sadistic personality
traits...because only a sadist wishes to enslave his neighbors.

> >Saying that you oppose centralized power, while supporting every policy
> >which requires it is....disingenious.
> >
> >Either that, or you're a fucking dumbass.
> >
> >Which is it, Scott?
> >

> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Brig Campbell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.arch
Subject: Re: IA32, was an advocacy rant
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 11:39:20 -0700

"Peter da Silva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9afkup$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> IA32 has occasionally jumped ahead of RISC for integer, but IIRC they're
> still way back in FP.
>
> > > Well, the physical address bus is 36 bits these days, which means
64gb,
> > > but the virtual address space for processes is still 32 bits or 4gb.
The
> > > physical address extensions (PAE) were introduced in the Pentium Pro
> > > series, and AMD included support for them in the Athlon (K7). These
> > > extensions require modifications to the page tables and thus, OS
support.

> There's a special hotrodded version of Windows NT that has support for it
> but IIRC only one version of Oracle actually uses it.

It's supported in Windows 2000 along with the API for applications.

Page Address Extension
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/en/datacenter/help/paex86_2.htm

Address Windowing Extensions
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/en/datacenter/help/address_windowing_ex
tensions.htm

-brig

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000?
Date: 4 Apr 2001 18:41:54 GMT

According to Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
:Well some WORD documents are important - unfortunately ....
:
:HTML is definitely _always_ junk mail and gets deleted before read.

I guess I can't see how you can make these two statements in conjunction
with one another.  The second makes the assumption that no one emailing
you in this form could ever have anything important to say, but that somehow
people using the former might .

How could you possibly know either?

Or perhaps is what you mean that, to date, this is a true statement - that
you've never gotten anything useful sent as html but you have at least
once gotten something you considered important in word?
"See, he's not just anyone ... he's my son."  Mark Schultz

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Arrrrgh!  Hoist the Jolly Roger!
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:47:00 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 04 Apr 2001 01:59:36 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Bloody Viking wrote:

[snip]

>The really funny part is that Wintrolls hate to be called "Billy Butt
>Crusts"!
>Like in Bill Gates(?)

Somehow, I rather doubt anyone would want to be called a "Butt Crust".... :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- be nice to your enemies, that confuses them :-)
                    Yes, uptime & wall clock aren't in synch; I don't know why.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: 4 Apr 2001 18:48:28 GMT

Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto, all soldiers are willing to kill at their governments command.
>It's what we do - not aaron, of course, but real soldiers.  I realize you
>are jerking him around but thought I'd put this in.

And indeed I consider all soldiers fighting a war their country starts
to be assassins, in many ways.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Rick C. Hodgin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.arch
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 13:46:48 -0500

>> Well, the physical address bus is 36 bits these days, which means 64gb,
>While arguably you could use these to support a kernel that handles more
>than 4GB, I doubt many *applications* would actually be able to use more
>than 2 or 4GB, at least not without another ILP model than that normally
>used (ILP32).

I doubt there are any kernels that would need more than 4GB.  But as
far as accessing more than 4GB in an application, that is very easy.
Most "data warehouses" (I hate that term) are much larger than 4GB.
They could benefit from the speed enhancements over a strictly hard
drive system.

Does anyone know of an IA-32 motherboard that allows more than 4GB of
memory to be installed?  Or is this functionality reserved for special
equipment?

- Rick C. Hodgin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Subject: Re: IE again: MS simply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?doesn=B4t?= get it right
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 01:12:28 +0200

        Peter Köhlmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Again there´s a bug in IE, this time a *real* bad one
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS01-020.asp
>
>  This vulnerability could enable an attacker to potentially
>  run a program of her choice on the machine of another user.
>  Such a program would be capable of taking any action that
>  the user himself could take on his machine, including adding,
>  changing or deleting data, communicating with web sites, or
>  reformatting the hard drive.
>
>  As a general rule, it is probably worth questioning
>  the trustworthiness of any e-mail that automatically
>  starts a file download. The best action is to simply
>  click the Cancel button in the dialogue.
>

> Chaddy boy, Jon, Conrad
> now start to think hard and fast to come up with something
> That will naturally be again something of the kind: "Not really a problem"

Well apparently the patch for this problem reports that there is no need
to apply it to some versions of IE that ARE vulnerable. If you go to
Mircosoft's web site they tell you that you must upgrade your browser BEFORE
applying the patch! Now how many people, having been told that their version
is not vulnerable are going to visit Microsofts site just to check? I can't
think of a better company to trust all your important data with.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft should be feared and despised
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:33:43 +0200

"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001 12:55:25 -0400, JS PL <jspl@jsplom> wrote:
> >
> >"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Are you saying (assuming Chad is correct in his interpretation) that
> >> your company doesnt mind any commuications it sends through Hotmail
> >> becoming the property of Micro$oft?
> >
> >There's a "company" using hotmail? Damn.
> >

> Of course we're not just talking about hotmail.  .NET and the Microsoft
> passport system are a lot more than just hotmail.
>
> Microsoft wants to use .NET and the passport transport system to let
> end-users store and communicate banking information, credit card,
information,
> private correspondence, and on and on.  ANd all you data "will live
> securely on the Internet" (a direct MS quote).  Combine that with this:

Have you decided to try to overload their systems?
Beside, I'm quite certain that by the time that .NET will approach final,
this clause will disappear.
IT can be very stupid, but I hardly sees them missing the fact that by
agreeing to this license they also agree to give every give:
All their top secret documents to MS (Office.NET)
All their source code to MS (Visual Source Safe.NET)
Etc...

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:36:09 +0200

"Austin Ziegler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> You've been lied to or you've talked to incompetent programmers.
> The program:
>
>   #include <stdout.h>
>
>   int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>   {
>     puts("Hello, World.");
>     return 0;
>   }
>
> Writes to an API. This program is 100% portable to any ANSI C
> implementation with a standard C library. The library is different for
> different machine implementations, and is not a derivative of any
> particular implementation of the standard C library.

Now, if want to license this under the GPL, can I distribue this?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:37:42 +0200

"Austin Ziegler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2001, T. Max Devlin wrote:
> > Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 3 Apr 2001 12:01:40
> >   [...]
> >> It is technically simple, and it is done all the time.
> >> It can't be ludicrous, because it's happening, and will continue to
happen.
> >> Technical ignorance is not a defense against reality.
> > Please provide a couple examples of programs which were written to use
> > libraries which did not yet exist.  I do not believe "it" is done all
> > the time, though I do know for a fact that you and other's have
> > misconstrued what "it" is.
>
> thinkDB 2 for the Palm. Adobe PhotoShop. The GIMP. Oh, gee. Just about
> anything that supports a plug-in interface. (Hint: plug-ins are
> libraries.)

IE, Netscape, Mozilla, if you are at it.
Hell, IE & Mozilla can use unknown *protocols* if a plug in is writtern
(napster:)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 14:57:04 -0400

Mathew wrote:

> [...]
> > >    >> >>
> > >    >> >> On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> > >    >> >>
> > >    >> >> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >    >> >> > >
> > >    >> >> > > >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
> > >    >> >> > >
> > >    >> >> > >    Aaron> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >    >> >> > >    >>
> > >    >> >> > >    >> >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
> > >    >> >> > >    >>
> > >    >> >> > >    Aaron> Mathew wrote:
> > >    >> >> > >    >> >>
> > >    >> >> > >    >> >> For a person who constantly calls people"little dictators"
> > >    >> >> > >    >> >> and "fascists" , Aaron certainky takes the cake for
>personifying
> > >    >> >> > >    >> >> his own words.
> > >    >> >> > >    >> >>
> > >    >> >> > >    >> >> A product of fascist military indoctrination ,no doubt.
> > >    >> >> > >    >>
> > >    >> >> > >    Aaron> So, protecting your constitutional rights is fascist now.
> > >    >> >> > >    >>
> > >    >> >> > >    >> You have repeatedly threatened to kill people for their
>political
> > >    >> >> > >    >> beliefs.  That is not protecting their Constitutional Rights.
> > >    >> >> > >    >>
> > >    >> >> > >
> > >    >> >> > >    Aaron> No, I have not.
> > >    >> >> > >
> > >    >> >> > > Yes you have.  You have said that people should be killed for
> > >    >> >> > > merely being democrats.
> > >    >> >> >
> > >    >> >> > No.  They should be punished for committing treason.
> > >    >> >> >
> > >    >> >> > The most egregious, such as Clinton, should be executed.
> > >    >> >>
> > >    >> >> And the the totalitarin regime in Afghanistan,that happnened because
>Bush
> > >    >> >> Sr. sold their freedom down the drain?
> > >    >>
> > >    Aaron> [Note that once again, Matthew is advocating for the Communists...and
> > >    Aaron> he *still* claims he's not a weaselly Marxist bastard].
> > >    >>
> > >    Aaron> What freedom?  When?
> > >    >>
> > >    Aaron> Afghanistan has *NEVER* had any freedom....and in fact, has never had
> > >    Aaron> ANY force which represents freedom fighting for it.
> > >    >>
> > >    >> This is true, and clearly shows Reagan to have been lying
> > >    >> when he called the thugs he armed "Freedom Fighters".
> > >    >>

> > >    Aaron> Freedom from Communism to go their own way.
> > >
> > > Unlike you, I do not play favorites among totalitarians.
> >
> > No..the United States did *NOT* choose any totalitarians in Afghanistan.
> >
> > At the time we were giving support to the Afghans, there were 8 MAJOR
> > factions opposing the Soviets, and numerous lesser ones.
> >
> > NOBODY knew which faction would consolidate when the time would come
> > that the Soviets would leave.
> >
>  There were pro western,non fundamentalists who would have

So, what you're saying is that we should have stuck our nose in their
internal affairs?

Isn't this the EXACT SAME REASON why you leftists get upset about
our involvement in Viet Nam.  (which  *was a mistake.* Robert
McNamara should be hung upside down from a tree by his testicles).

We sent arms to most all of the factions in Afghanistan WHEN THEY
WERE FIGHTING the Soviets.

We stayed out of Afghanistan's internal affairs for the same reason
we should have stayed out of Viet Nam:

        ** You can NOT win SOMEBODY ELSE'S civil war. **

That's why, in the end, our sacrifice in Korea is only a draw...
even if we totally beat the North Koreans...it would *still*
only been "not a loss" for us....looking at the costs paid
for the benefit recieved.

That's why we lost in Viet Nam...and, in the end..there is no
way that *WE* could have won.  Even if South Vietname had won,
the US would have only "not lost."

Similarly, the best that the Soviets ever could have done in
Afghanistan was to "not lose".

And if *WE* got involved in Afghanistan, it would have been
the same negative sum game.

> > > Unlike you, I think all totalitarians suck.
> >
> > So do I.
> >

> > > But then, unlike you I do not wish to be a totalitarian.
> >
> > At least not openly....but you keep pushing for public policy which
> > DEMANDS a totalitarian state for the policies to get implemented.
> >

> > > And of course, unlike you, I am not a cowardly lying forger.
> >
> > blah blah blah
> >

> > > --
> > > Andrew Hall
> > > (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)
> >

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: 4 Apr 2001 19:01:32 GMT

On Wed, 04 Apr 2001 04:02:02 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:

>this

>> >Wrong.  It's a MORAL duty, as opposed to a legal obligation.
>>
>> So, it's not a real duty. I find there is a stronger moral duty not to kill
>> other people.
>
>No, there is a strong moral duty not to MURDER people.

No, I have a moral duty not to kill, period. If you are a christian, it's
a commandment. Not "Thou shalt not kill except when you feel it's right".
I am not a christian, but I agree to that.

>Killing people who are part of invading mob is not murder, it's defense
>of life....it's fighting against bullies.

When did the Iraqi army invade you?
When did the Panamá POLICE (no army there) invade anyone?
When did Grenada invade anything and with what?
When had Cuba invaded the US?
When had Chile invaded anyone? (Ok, they kinda/slightly invaded us in 78,
but that was after the US pushed the goon to power).

>> >I like Heinlein's idea that only those who give service to their
>> >country should be allowed the full rights of citizenship.
>> >
>> >it would limit the political power of the parasites.
>>
>> It would make being a bully a requirement. Well, you surely would
>
>Non sequitor.  How does service = being a bully.

People who choose a way of life where their better weaponry makes
them feel superior == bullies.

> Are you saying
>that medics are bullies...that finance clerks are bullies....

Some are. Thos often end as army doctors and clerks.

>You should try dropping the 18th century stereotypes and deal with
>the real world of today.

Dear, I have lived more than you can ever dream of. And without
feeling a need to kill anyone.

>> >Actually, there are all sorts of rules and limits placed on soldiers.
>> >Geneva Convention, Theater Commander's and local commander's rules
>> >of engagement, international law, etc.
>>
>> Blah. Your commander says "kill him", you go kill him. That's not
>> thinking.
>
>Any soldier who obeys any and all such orders without first testing it
>against the considerations which I listed above (Geneva Convention,
>etc.) is going to find himself in the prison at Fort Leavenworth.

Yeah, sure. Listen, who went to jail for that cruise missile that hit
a bomb shelter killing 50 kids and women in Iraq?

>> >The power to declare war is SOLELY in the hands of Congress.
>>
>> And you are eager to follow them wherever they decide to send you.
>
>No, I am not.

So you say.

>> You are a mindless executioner of the politicians you despise.
>
>Name all of the politicians which I have killed...

Non sequitur, and indication of inminent kulkis brain dump.

>> You are a waste of a human.
>
>sure.

Glad you agree.

>> A pity. If you had not been so thoroughly brainwashed, you could
>> have been a person.
>
>You have failed to name even one person whom I have wrongfully killed.

You are willing to kill, and you believe that's good. That's enough to
make you a brainwashed waste.

>> >Congress is elected according to the laws of the US Constitution.
>> >
>> >If you don't like a war that we get into...then the source of the
>> >problem, ultimately, is your neighbors.
>>
>> Sure. I seem to have missed the border between the US and Colombia,
>> though. And between the US and Grenada. And panama. And Chile.
>
>I trust the procedures set forth in the Constitution for making such
>decisions.  Why would I take an oath to defend it if I felt that the
>procedure was wrong.

Well, perhaps you can explain me why the army has troops in Colombia,
then.

>There's a word for military personell who refuse to obey Congress's
>decision to go to war: DESERTER.

Well, my point is that noone should be military personell in the
first place, because it's a bad thing to do.

>> Not too close, those neighbours. And of course, the US NEVER
>> would start a war because it fits the US, right? The US was just
>> defending themselves. EVERY TIME. Yeah, right.
>
>It's better to fight a war BEFORE it gets to your own borders.

So, it's better to be the agressor. Perhaps you feel the US needs
more "vital space"?

The sole idea of a preemptive agression "because he would have
attacked me eventually" is stupid. If you gonna start a war,
do it honourably and call it a war, and say you started it.

What you say, instead, is a cowardly copout.

--
Roberto Alsina

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Date: 4 Apr 2001 19:02:24 GMT

On Wed, 04 Apr 2001 03:28:08 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Unfortunately, Roberto sees the world thru his paradigm from a
>particular nationalist viewpoint.

Erm... I am anything but nationalist :-)
Let me say it loud: fuck nations.

--
Roberto Alsina