From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Windows 2000 Reboots (Was: Something like Install Shield for Linux?)
Date: 11 Apr 2001 09:50:00 -0600

"Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> [snips]
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Craig Kelley"
>
> > ... and now you get to reboot *before* installing a product (after the
> > "Microsoft Installer" has been updated), and then again after you
> > install the product.  Yay.
>
> Assuming you install 3 packages a day, every day, expect to reboot
> for this reason at most once every 6 months or so; hardly the end of
> the world.

Strange, I have *never* needed to reboot my machine when I upgraded
RPM or dpkg/apt.

I have *never* needed to reboot my machine when I upgraded *any*
software under Linux, except for installing a new kernel.

> >> Works great until the network is down or the disk is full.  Then you've
> >> created a whole new class of errors.
> >
> > Or if you have users that aren't on the WAN, in which case they are
> > prompted for the "XXXXXX" CD-ROM every time you access some particular
> > feature that wasn't explicitly installed (and even then, Microsoft
> > Office 2000 won't install everything even if you tell it to).
>
> So talk to the admin who set that up.  He _could_ have rolled out
> the whole package locally.  Or he could have set up a half dozen FTP
> sites, plus the LAN share point, plus the CD, so that nothing short
> of the end of the Internet would prevent a user being able to update
> his installation as needed.  He didn't.  So blame the tool, right?

Right.  Any 'tool' that causes me more work isn't a useful 'tool'.

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:45:58 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> I tend to do this:
>
> Get a new job.  Write shell scripts to rectify all the common problems
> After a couple months, write a few more shell scripts to go out and
> diagnose the problems before they become "show-stoppers", which
> then call the problem-rectifying scripts.
>
> After about 6 months, I'm bored to tears, because the machines totally
> take care of themselves...so, I go find a new job (and MORE $$$$)

You write scripts to FIRST rectify the "problems" and then you
write scripts to identify the problems?

So basically, you start fixing something before you know what
you are trying to fix?

Whoo-boy... Your tangled web of lies just gets messier and messier.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Has Linux anything to offer ?
Date: 11 Apr 2001 09:52:03 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti) writes:

> roger$@a posted:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rex says...
> >Let take some examples:
> >
> >1. Using IE 6.0 beta, If I am on a web page, and do 'save', IE
> >is smart enough not only to save the HTML page itself, but also
> >to create a subdirectory with all the gif files on that page.
> >This means when one views the locally saved HTML page later on,
> >it comes up with all the images intact on it. There is nothing
> >like this on Linux.
>
> On the other hand, my friendly neighborhood Linux distribution
> comes with wget.

And has done so for *years*.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:42:13 -0400

Chris Street wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:14:09 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >chrisv wrote:

> >> Kooklis has delusions of adequacy.  OUTED!
> >
> >Must be why the Army insists that all field equipment be camo'd, right?
>
> So why do they camoflague their gear....?

to make it harder to recognize when deployed in the field.

For example...an armored vehicle may still be identifiable as an armored
vehicle...but the camoflauge makes it more difficult to tell exactly
what type of armored vehicle it is.

Similarly, naval wartime paint schemes' primary purpose was not to
"hide" the craft, merely to generate optical illusions for any
submarine commander that might be trying to target it.

The paint schemes typically made the craft appear to be smaller than
it actually was (i.e. a destroyer might be painted to appear more like
a corvette), so that the observer would mis-judge the range to the
ship,  and false bow-waves to make it more difficult to accurately
judge the speed (this was before radar made all of this meaningless).

> 79.84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
> The other 42% are made up later on.
> In Warwick - looking at flat fields and that includes the castle.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:43:23 -0400

Peter da Silva wrote:

> I think blaming Microsoft for the downturn is no more rational than
> crediting them with the bull market. Microsoft has been just another
> boat carried on the tides of Moore's Law and cheap bandwidth.
>
> I think the current downturn is more a result of the y2k spending
> bubble finally running out than any particular company's actions.
>
> As for Microsoft running out of ideas... Microsoft hasn't been much of
> an innovator in their entire history. They started out producing
> competant software development tools for CP/M and a mediocre but well
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You mispelled "BASIC interpreters stolend from DEC"

> marketed Basic for home computers. Then they copied CP/M, copied the
> Mac, copied VMS and UNIX, Netscape and Palm... Everything they've
> produced has been done elsewhere... and generally better. Their
> strength is cross-marketing and positioning products, not the products
> themselves.
>
> --
>  `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
>   'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."
>                                                        -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>          Disclaimer: WWFD?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Apr 2001 09:53:18 -0600

roger#@! <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rex says...
>

> >Linux on the other hand starts about 300 processes because it
> >functions as
> >both a client and a server.
>
> Yet, there is not consistant way to manage these services on linux.
> On widows, one can use the services console to stop and start services.
> On linux, there is not a standard and easy way to do this.

...except under Windows it'll tell you:

   "Permission denied"

when you try to stop a services that's started by the SYSTEM account.
That's a blast to try and figure out.

> >People also like having a single desktop that can give them a
> >consistent
> >working environment whether it's a stand-alone system or a multitiered
> >cluster.
> >

> I see. Is this why Linux has 10 desktops to choose from each works
> and configured differently?

Hmmm, kinda like Windows 95,98,2000,Me,XP

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gamma)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:54:40 GMT

Roberto Selbach Teixeira  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> And it sucks too! The obvious choice is (and always will be) FSF
>>> Emacs!
>>
>> Emacs is a bloated hog...and it's not universally installed...and
>> where it is installed, which version is it?  Is it *really* emacs,
>> or is it jove? or temacs? or ????
>>

>Bloated hog? As someone mentioned once, Emacs takes what today's
>equivalent to what? 10 cents of disk space? For these 10 cents you get
>a full featured editor (that's what the guy asked about, wasn't it?),
>a web browser, email client, usenet client, ftp, scheduler, calculator
>and a lot (*A LOT*) more.

10 cents of disk space, sure, but 8 bucks worth of memory and about
15-50 cents of startup time per startup!  Which is fine if you're set
up to where you can run it once when you log in in the morning and
then leave it up all day, granted...

And this is just for bare emacs; multiply all numbers by around 8 or
so for xemacs with news, ftp, fried okra, mashed potatoes, etc...
And 120 more bucks worth of install time if you're in a consultant
position and your client doesn't have emacs installed, or has the
wrong version.

Bare vi has virtually zero install cost, since it's everywhere.
Gvim will cost less in install time than a similar xemacs counterpart.
Starts up instantaneously (even gvim).  2 cents of disk space.  :-)
less than a buck o'memory.

Vi's not what I would consider full-featured, though.  Either we can
compare bare vi and bare emacs, or gvim and xemacs.  Either way...
Feature-wise, they're practically identical.  I am my company's main
gvim weenie; the others are emacs weenies.  All of us fly around in
our respective editors like a bunch of savant witches.

>> If you do work on a LOT of systems, especially for a large number
>> of companies, on site...then trying to survive solely on emacs will
>> kill you.
>>
>> vi is universally installed, and unchanging.
>
>Windows is universally installed and unchanging. This means it is the
>best OS available, right? NOO.

Windows is not as universally installed in the domain of discourse as
Unix/vi is.  Windows is not unchanging.  And yeah, Windows is not the
best OS, so we do share one belief in common.

(This post was brought to you with vi.  Ha-cha-cha-cha-chaaaaa.)

--

Paul Brinkley

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:48:21 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> One which has the full overhead of a function call, including
> the overhead of pushing the CPU state onto the stack, and
> recovering it at the end.

"pushing the CPU state onto the stack"

OK genius, explain what you mean!   OUTED!  LOL!

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:56:35 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> > So Aaron as "Unix administrator" does not know that his "camouflage"
> > simply is BS, because it won´t fool anything. If someone would want to
> > attack his system, that one wouldn´t even see this "faked" header. That
> > guy would simply run the normal hackers toolkit, which would detect the
> > system. So the "security reasons" are for dumbasses alone, no one with
> > half a brain would use such measures to improve security.
>
> You're making the mistaken assumption that EVERY hacker is supposedly
> an uber-hacker.
>
> Overestimating your opponents is as pointless as underestimating your
> opponents.  When you over-estimate your opponent's abilities, you
> just give in, because you convince yourself that resistance is useless.
>
> This is why the army, although thermal imaging is available, STILL
> camoflauges all equipment, because only SOME opponents have thermal
> vision equipment.

Aaron, if I hear that word "camoflauge" one more time I am going
to snap a branch off a willow tree and take it to your hide!

OUTED!  LOL!

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: 11 Apr 2001 09:58:51 -0600

Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Pete Goodwin wrote:
> >
> Alright, Pete is back!  His postings and the ensuing responses always
> make for a good laugh.  I was wondering what the he11 happened to him.
>
> > I'm using SuSE 7.1 Personal after all my struggles with Mandrake 7.2.
>
> Each week, Pete reviews a new distro.  Don't miss his critical review of
> Slackware next week, same time, same NG.

Strange that he never tries out RedHat, which has the best installer
of any Linux distribution (not that it's the best distribution for
every kind of job, but it does have the best hardware detection, IMHO)

Maybe he has, but couldn't find anything to gripe about...?

> > Why doesn't it work? I have two network cards. Both are supported, both are
> > modules. If I let the system boot they work fine. If I switch on DHCP, oh
> > dear, the system gets very confused and tries to assign the wrong driver to
> > the wrong network card.
>
> Did you try loading the modules manually at the command line to see if
> they work?  Perhaps your kernel and modules are out of sync.

You're going *way* over his head by asking him to do something so
difficult.  If he can't drag it around in KDE then it's lost on him.
It's the TV generation's mentalitiy to everything:  If I can't solve
it in 30 minutes, intersperced with handy 4-minute breaks, then it's
too difficult and I must whine about my patience-challenged
personality in public.

From: "jaymz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:58:57 +1000

fuck, talk about geeks !

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Apr 2001 10:03:39 -0600

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

  [snip whine about Suse 7.1 being too hard for Pete]

> What happens if I install Windows? I have to install device drivers
> for these network cards. Then I set up one as DHCP, one as a fixed
> address.  Then it just works. Funny that, isn't it. If I want
> something that just works, use Windows. If I want something that
> almost works (but requires more investigation) then use Linux.

I could list dozens of occasions where Windows failed to do what I
wanted it to do.  I could list dozens of occasions where the device
driver installed under Windows caused the whole system to go into
fits.  I could list dozens of occasions where Windows networking would
mysteriously stop.

Why don't I?  Because I expect there to be problems with potential
solutions every once in a while.  That's why Microsoft put in Safe
Mode and registry back-tracks (I assume you've never had to use them,
hmmm?)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:57:53 -0400

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> I'm using SuSE 7.1 Personal after all my struggles with Mandrake 7.2.
>
> That is not to say there aren't any problems. There are.
>
> In order to get my network working I'm currently starting up DHCP manually.
> I descovered that SuSE telephone support doesn't cover anything except
> basic installation. Apparently, getting your network up is not considered
> basic. Oh well.
>
> I was told to put "dhcpcd eth1" in my boot.local file. I tried this. It
> doesn't work.
>
> Why doesn't it work? I have two network cards. Both are supported, both are
> modules. If I let the system boot they work fine. If I switch on DHCP, oh
> dear, the system gets very confused and tries to assign the wrong driver to
> the wrong network card.
>
> It gets just as bad with the personal firewall. It too starts up _before_
> the network modules are started. Same problem again. But it gets worse. The
> firewall can't cope with DHCP. It doesn't handle the fact that DHCP means
> you don't have a fixed IP address.
>
> So what are the solutions? Build a kernel with the network modules in so
> they're available _before_ firewall and DHCP try to mangle them. Make the
> firewall software change IP address _after_ DHCP has started using some
> kind of script.
>
> (Note: for the brain dead among you, I'm not posting this as a request for
> help. This is an advocacy group after all).
>
> What happens if I install Windows? I have to install device drivers for
> these network cards. Then I set up one as DHCP, one as a fixed address.
> Then it just works. Funny that, isn't it. If I want something that just
> works, use Windows.

For something that "just works", why does it suck up so many man-hours
for re-installation of things that have already been installed?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

>                      If I want something that almost works (but requires
> more investigation) then use Linux.
>
> There's an article about SuSE 7.1 is a "windows killer"
> (http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/3052/1/). I'm sorry, but
> with this kind of nonsense, Windows is safe. Microsoft have nothing to
> worry about. Linux is still playing catch up.
>
> --
> Pete
> Running on SuSE 7.1, Linux 2.4, KDE 2.1
> Kylix: the way to go!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:58:38 -0400

"." wrote:

> Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm using SuSE 7.1 Personal after all my struggles with Mandrake 7.2.
>
> > That is not to say there aren't any problems. There are.
>
> > In order to get my network working I'm currently starting up DHCP manually.
> > I descovered that SuSE telephone support doesn't cover anything except
> > basic installation. Apparently, getting your network up is not considered
> > basic. Oh well.
>
> > I was told to put "dhcpcd eth1" in my boot.local file. I tried this. It
> > doesn't work.
>
> > Why doesn't it work? I have two network cards. Both are supported, both are
> > modules. If I let the system boot they work fine. If I switch on DHCP, oh
> > dear, the system gets very confused and tries to assign the wrong driver to
> > the wrong network card.
>
> Heres a clue, you ignorant bastard:
>
> The same exact route on two interfaces doesnt work.  This has nothing to
> do with modules.

TCP/IP for dummies.

> -----.
>
> --
> "Great babylon has fallen, fallen, fallen;
> Jerusalem has fallen, fallen, fallen!
> The great, Great Beast is DEAD! DEAD! DEAD! DEAD!"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: John Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Apr 2001 12:06:23 -0400

Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > On 11 Apr 2001 09:04:05 -0300, Roberto Selbach Teixeira
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>As for Emacs defaults, I agree with you that they are not the best
> >>for everyone. But all you have to do is using the menu
> >>Options->Customize Emacs to change the whole thing.
> >
> > Not "the whole thing". Absolutely not.
>
> No? Example?

As we've established in this very thread, you can't get rid of
electric indentation of c-code entirely in any sort of convenient
way.

> You may think that there is nothing you need to know about Vi.
> Don't fool yourself, there is at least one thing you positively
> *have* to know about Vi:
>
> Pressing lots of ESC's followed by ":q!<Ret>" will quit the damn thing.

Yes.  Thank god we have the simple and intuitive C-xC-c to get us out
of emacs.  ::wipes hand across brow::  ;)

-John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:06:28 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, WesTralia
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:47:28 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Did I hear a WinLuser say something?

Do we care whether you like him or not? :-P

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random pithiness here