From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Has Linux anything to offer ?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:41:20 -0700

"roger$@a" wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> GreyCloud says...
>

> >Not anymore. Modules allows one to add changes to the kernel without
> >rebooting.
> >CD-RW is now part of the more popular distros.  The kernel hacking is
> >never needed with these devices... it was something done a few years
> >ago.  Time changes things.
> >

> Wrong.
>
> get SUSE 7.1, just released. with kernel 2.4 no less. You will find you
> need to hack the kernel for this.
>
> Trying to make up things will not make it true.

But it is true.  I'm not making it up.  No hacks are needed.  Linux
version 2.2 started using the modular approach and works very well.  Try
the RedHat 7.x series.

> >> 6. Printing on Linux is broke. On widnows, setting up a printer requires
> >> no hacks as on linux. It just works.
> >>

> >Printing is easy.  I find that my Epson printer works better under linux
> >than it ever has under windows.
>
> How could a printer work better on any OS than another? The printer is
> a printer.
>
> On window, printer managemnt is consitant and works the same. From any
> application I can access the same printer management interface. I can
> locate a printer anywhere on the network and by a simple click I have
> access to it.
>
> Linux is years behind windows when it comes to printing.

Hardly.  Why did HP put a stop printing button on their printers then?
So the end user could immediately cancel a print job.  Windows print
manager seems to get lost very quick.  Again, why did Epson Corp.
replace the windows print manager with their own??

Also, what do you think LP or LPR is?  It manages printers over a
network or locally.
Your claims shows you don't know.

> >I've never had a problem with different window managers.
>
> Who care if YOU did not have a problem? The point is the users want to
> see one well managed consistant desktop that work the same way. Not
> 20 ones and a new one each month.

I looked over many and have settled on the one I liked the best.  CDE
under Motif 1.4.
Without the choices I'd be stuck with what I was given. CDE works very
good and has been an accepted industrial standard in UNIX for many years
now.  CDE was out long before windows had shown up.  CDE is very
consistent.

> >> PERL, python, PHP all exist on windows.
>

> >You have to either buy or download these for windows. These are already
> >pre-configured under linux.
> >

> Wrong again. They are free. downloading is not a problem. people download
> many things each day.

True, but these are not included with windows when you purchase a
machine off the shelf.

Again, you have to download them.

> >> There is no commerical DVD player for linux. What is there is
> >> mostly hacks that does not support half of what a commercial
> >> DVD players on widnows support.

Of course there is.  Go to HPs site at hp.com and look under
workstations.
There you'll find all that you need to know.

> >I would refute the DVD argument.  Things change over time.  I believe
> >that the current version of Suse and RedHat now have DVD built in.
> >

> You are confusing mpeg-1 with mpeg-2.

Nope.

> There is NO commerical DVD player for Linux. Go to your fry's electronics
> and tell me a name of ONE DVD player for linux. Actually go to anywhere
> in the web, and tell me where I can buy a DVD player for Linux.

Any DVD will work.  Just because it doesn't say Linux on the box doesn't
mean it won't work on a linux box.  I had several distros of Linux on my
lowly IBM Aptiva.  IBM said it wouldn't work nor would they support the
idea.  Well, the distros installed without a glitch.

I've settled on the Sun Solaris 8 for now because it works so well with
my hardware.
My hardware wasn't on Suns' Hardware Compatibility List (HCL), but it
still installed.
And all the things MS software can do so can Sun as well as linux.

My question at this point is: what brand of machine do you own?
Its resources?  Year it was made in?  Have you tried to install linux on
it?
What version and distro?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: 11 Apr 2001 20:42:02 GMT

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:00:24 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:
>>
>> Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Roberto, you are an ass.  You started out pretty good but now you are just
>> >another oxygen bandit making noise but saying nothing.
>>
>> I thought you had "shut me out"? What happened, lack of will?
>> I suppose this post of yours is not "saying nothing", according
>> to some perverted standard, too.
>>
>> You believe I "started pretty good" simply because the object of
>> my derision was Aaron, who you seem not to like. Since the differences
>> between you two are negligible to me, you are now getting several
>> spoonfuls of the medicine you so enjoyed Aaron drinking.
>>
>> Of course then I am not "pretty good" anymore. That's a self-serving
>> double standard, but I am not too surprised.
>>

>Thank you,  for providing me several hours of amusement
>by attacking each other....you tools.

Well, I had to pay back the hundreds of hours of amusement of you
fighting the voices in your head.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:35:37 -0400

silverback wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:22:42 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sam A. Kersh)
> wrote:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (silverback) wrote:

> >>nope
> >>

> >I've come to the conclusion based on silverback's posts over the last
> >year that he is a closet communist.  He touts "welfare" aka
>
> and yer wrong again fuckhead
>
> >redistribution of wealth through "progressive taxation."  Falsely call
>
> sorry progressive taxation is not redistribution

So you would have no problem with your grocer charging you more
for a pound of ground beef every time you get a raise.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Street)
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:37:19 GMT

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:42:13 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Chris Street wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:14:09 -0400, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Must be why the Army insists that all field equipment be camo'd, right?
>>
>> So why do they camoflague their gear....?
>
>to make it harder to recognize when deployed in the field.
>
>For example...an armored vehicle may still be identifiable as an armored
>vehicle...but the camoflauge makes it more difficult to tell exactly
>what type of armored vehicle it is.

BS

>Similarly, naval wartime paint schemes' primary purpose was not to
>"hide" the craft, merely to generate optical illusions for any
>submarine commander that might be trying to target it.

more BS

From: "Jonas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 20:42:50 GMT

Hm.

To wish for another Big IBM as a qritique against microsoft isn't sufficient
to open up the market in a competitive state.

MS Office offer alot that no one else offer. The overall interaction between
Microsoft products is the strenght of the company.

Linux isn't gonna be free bucks. They're gonna squeeze you for money.

You can tailor your own programs to work with MS Office and other MS Suites.

When Sun talked about distributed objects MS implemented it at a proper
time.

The Java language is just an overstated, idiotic system the serves no one
with efficiency in mind. C++ just do everything faster, more flexible, and
more efficient. Why would you ever wan't Java if you standardize your
company on Windows machines.

Oracle just boosted the DB prices with their per processor licensing model
which MS took after. Blame Oracle for all that's bad with prices on DB and
the internet interaction, concerning prices of course.

People buy MS products because they get something out of it. Ever tried to
use Borland products ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: 11 Apr 2001 20:42:56 GMT

Chad Everett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 11 Apr 2001 18:15:41 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Roger Perkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Roberto, you are an ass.  You started out pretty good but now you are just
>>>another oxygen bandit making noise but saying nothing.
>>
>>I thought you had "shut me out"? What happened, lack of will?
>>I suppose this post of yours is not "saying nothing", according
>>to some perverted standard, too.
>>
>>You believe I "started pretty good" simply because the object of
>>my derision was Aaron, who you seem not to like. Since the differences
>>between you two are negligible to me, you are now getting several
>>spoonfuls of the medicine you so enjoyed Aaron drinking.
>>
>>Of course then I am not "pretty good" anymore. That's a self-serving
>>double standard, but I am not too surprised.
>>
>Are you an alien from another planet?  Nothing you post here makes one
>bit of sense.

What can I say? I am not responsible for any conscience-altering
drugs you may take.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:36:09 -0400

*sunbird* wrote:

> sliverdick wrote:
>
> > and yer wrong again fuckhead
>
> > sorry progressive taxation is not redistribution
>
> does it hurt being so stupid?

No brain, no pain.

> sunbird

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:44:07 -0700

Karel Jansens wrote:

> "roger#@!" wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rex says...
> >

> > >Linux on the other hand starts about 300 processes because it
> > >functions as
> > >both a client and a server.
> >
> > Yet, there is not consistant way to manage these services on linux.
> > On widows, one can use the services console to stop and start services.
> > On linux, there is not a standard and easy way to do this.
> >
> Sofar, you've managed to misspell Windows as "Widnows" and "Widows"; is
> there some freudian background process running here?
>

> > >People also like having a single desktop that can give them a
> > >consistent
> > >working environment whether it's a stand-alone system or a multitiered
> > >cluster.
> > >

> > I see. Is this why Linux has 10 desktops to choose from each works
> > and configured differently?
> >
> You really, _really_ don't get it, do you? This newsgroup must be real
> torture for you, what with all these peopel going on about stuff you
> have absolutely no clue about.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Karel Jansens
> "You're the weakest link. Goodb-No, wait! Stop! Noaaarrghh!!!"

Hehehe... maybe he just graduated from High School.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:41:13 -0400

Anonymous wrote:

> Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> >
> > > Have you ever heard the term, "the best technology doesn't always win on
> > > the day". UNIX has been around for 35 years, and has never been intended
> > > to be run on end lusers systems such as yours, that is why they have stuck
> > > with high end servers and workstations, the area where the end user has
> > > some grey matter in
> > > their head.    Also, if you were to look at Linux as the Desktop version
> > > of UNIX, considering it has only been around for 9 years, it has made
> > > tremendous inroads into the OS market, considering that not only is it
> > > competing against UNIX is
> >

> > I think unix (especially linux) is wonderful as a desktop, and it requires
> > less knowledge of the user than windows does , certainly.    There a few
> > odds and ends that need to be taken care of before linux hits the
> > mainstream on the business desktop (the home desktop is another matter
> > altogether) - printing comes to mind.  Then there's the application
> > problem, but that will eventually disappear.
> >
> > The biggest obstacle to linux on the workplace desktop are all the idiot
> > windows admins out there who couldn't understand unix to save their lives.
>
> spot the idiocy

Actually, most windows admins don't understand Windows, either...
but as long as there's a hippy-dippy interface, they can POSE
as competant authorities.

Which would you prefer:

A system where some no-nothing, self-deluded fool can muck around
your system fully convinced that he's improving things....

Or a system which makes it very clear that you ought to find out
exactly what the fuck you're doing before fooling with system settings
(and also provides full, USEFUL documentation for how to do it online)

Clue for the clueless:

Help defrag

"Defrag defrags your hard drive.  Run defrag to defragment your hard drive"

Well, DUH!

That's not documentation...that's condescension.

>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> more even than death
> - bertrand russell

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Baseball
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:42:34 -0400

Anonymous wrote:

> aaron wrote:
> > Anonymous wrote:

> > > which one is easier to learn to use?
> >
> > Gnome
> > KDE
> > Common Desktop Environment
> > SunWindows (obsolete, but STILL easier to use than Mafia$oft windows).
>
> the fact you list more than one is itself part of the problem
> if you catch my meaning.

That's something a totalitarian police-state lover would write.

>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> more even than death
> - bertrand russell

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alexander Viro)
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: 11 Apr 2001 16:43:15 -0400

In article <cTGA6.948$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Grant Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tom Almy wrote:
>
>>Only for UNIX hackers. For the rest of the world, THE editor is
>>TECO. What other editor handles paper tape so easily? TECO has
>>withstood the test of time. Get it (free) here:
>
>IIRC, Emacs was originaly a set of TECO macros, wasn't it?

s/TECO/gratitiously expanded &/

Al, quite enjoying both TECO and vi - pity that neither supports
full regex (as in sam(1) and in modern version of ed(1)), though...

--
"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!"
"Here's a nickel, kid.  Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:45:09 -0400

Anonymous wrote:

> aaron wrote:
> > Anonymous wrote:

> > > which one is easier to learn to use?
> >
> > Gnome
> > KDE
> > Common Desktop Environment
> > SunWindows (obsolete, but STILL easier to use than Mafia$oft windows).
>
> the fact you list more than one is itself part of the problem
> if you catch my meaning.

So you're saying that we should standardize on ONE mode of transportation?

How about if we require you to give up your car so that you can
standardize on a certified replica of Dan Mocsny's bicycle.

>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> more even than death
> - bertrand russell

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.