From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:47:30 -0700

MH wrote:

> [...]
>
> Interersting concept, albiet all too common.
>
> > For the past decade, there has been a bubble of investment spending,
> > which
> > has produced high profits and further investment, all based upon a
> > single phenomenon:
> > Moore's Law. The principle that says that computers will go twice as
> > fast every 18 months.
>
> I believe simple greed would suffice as a more accurate and plausible
> explanation of the phenomenon you allude to.
>
> [history lesson snipped]
>
> > And every year or so a new type of microprocessor would be released with
> > even more
> > power. And  not coincidentally, a new version of the Windows OS would be
> > released,
> > which added features at the expense of using more CPU resources. So
> > everyone had
> > to spend a bunch of new capital on upgrades, which started the virtuous
> > cycle all over again.
>
> Define 'everyone'. Many organizations have not upgraded beyond windows 95 or
> 98.
>
> > But now the cycle seems to be breaking, and the blame, for this author,
> > rests squarely on
> > Microsoft. They seem to have hit the wall, to have run out of ideas.
>
> Solely?
>
> > It has been three years since Windows 98 now, and Microsoft is working
> > on their fourth attempt
> > at a replacement OS (Windows SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and now Win
> > XP), but
> > most desktops are still running good old Win 98. Why? Because there are
> > no features in the new
> > OS's that are interesting enough to be worth the pain and expense of an
> > upgrade.
>
> I'll agree for the  most part with this.
>
> > When the internet began to take off there was an opportunity for
> > Microsoft to become
> > its champion. However instead MS appears to have seen the internet as a
> > threat to its desktop
> > based computing empire, and it attempted to smother the baby. First (as
> > this author
> > recalls) by promoting the MSN as a rival to the internet itself, and
> > when that didn't work,
> > by (according to Sun)poisoning standards like Java that could have been
> > used to
> > build robust e-commerce systems, leaving the world of internet commerce
> > in disarray,
> > and turning dot-coms into dot-bombs as cunsumers shied away from the
> > resulting mess.
> > In an attempt to close the barn door after the horse was out, MS has put
> > forward their
> > new dot-net initiative. It has been called mind-numbingly complex, and
> > due to customer
> > suspicion over Microsofts motives, it is seeing adoption rates about
> > equal to the Ford Edsel.
>
> Sun is nothing more than a MS wannabe. Java, as most know, is not all that

Thats a bunch of BS!  Sun had a pointy-clicky interface long before MS
had anything on the market.

MickeySoft copied everything it could gets its slimy hands on.

<big snip>

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:50:53 -0700

Peter da Silva wrote:

> I think blaming Microsoft for the downturn is no more rational than
> crediting them with the bull market. Microsoft has been just another
> boat carried on the tides of Moore's Law and cheap bandwidth.
>
> I think the current downturn is more a result of the y2k spending
> bubble finally running out than any particular company's actions.
>
> As for Microsoft running out of ideas... Microsoft hasn't been much of
> an innovator in their entire history. They started out producing
> competant software development tools for CP/M and a mediocre but well
> marketed Basic for home computers. Then they copied CP/M, copied the
> Mac, copied VMS and UNIX, Netscape and Palm... Everything they've
> produced has been done elsewhere... and generally better. Their
> strength is cross-marketing and positioning products, not the products
> themselves.
>
> --
>  `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
>   'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."
>                                                        -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>          Disclaimer: WWFD?

Well Uncle GreenSpan had a lot to do with it.  In March of 2000, when
Allen stuck his nose in it, I cashed out at the high mark.  I paid
attention.  He said the market bubble was about to burst if he didn't
slowly release the air out without a big bang.  Look at the other world
markets... some went bang!  The Bear market isn't over with yet.  Maybe
by June we shall see if it's safe again to invest.... not yet.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thore B. Karlsen)
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 19:59:08 GMT

On 11 Apr 2001 17:28:59 +0100, Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Gamma> And this is just for bare emacs; multiply all numbers by
>  Gamma> around 8 or so for xemacs with news, ftp, fried okra, mashed
>  Gamma> potatoes, etc...

>        You want the additional functionality you have to pay
>something for it.

I _don't_ want the additional functionality! It's nice to have it, but as
options, not as part of the standard package. I don't want 47MB worth of
crud that I'm never going to use.

Emacs should stick to being a text editor, not an application environment.

--
"By the time we've finished with him, he won't know whether
he's Number Six or the cube root of infinity!"

------------------------------

From: *sunbird* <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:45:00 -0500

silverback wrote:

> and yer wrong again fuckhead

> sorry progressive taxation is not redistribution

does it hurt being so stupid?

sunbird

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:54:14 -0700

Eric Smith wrote:

> Peter da Silva wrote:
> > As for Microsoft running out of ideas... Microsoft hasn't been much of
> > an innovator in their entire history. They started out producing
> > competant software development tools for CP/M and a mediocre but well
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > You mispelled "BASIC interpreters stolend from DEC"
>
> Having seen the source code for both DEC's and MS's BASIC interpreters,
> I've seen no evidence that MS stole any of DEC's code.
>
> And you misspelled "misspelled" and "stolen".

How can you compare PDP-11 assembler to 8080 assembler?
The evidence is in seeing the same reserved words that DEC uses in
comparison to ANSI basic.  North Star also wrote their basic, but never
patterned it after DEC like Gates did.  MS basic then was so close to
DECs that its a wonder DEC didn't sue him.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:56:07 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Baseball
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles

aaron wrote:
> Anonymous wrote:
> >
> > T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 5 Apr 2001 11:44:45

> > > To someone who knows how to use it, Unix is easy to use.  To someone who
> > > does not know how to use it, Windows is hard to use.
> >
> > which one is easier to learn to use?
>
> Gnome
> KDE
> Common Desktop Environment
> SunWindows (obsolete, but STILL easier to use than Mafia$oft windows).

the fact you list more than one is itself part of the problem
if you catch my meaning.
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Apr 2001 15:58:24 -0400

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Syntax highlighting is useful for NOVICE programmers.
>
> Most experienced programmers have used one-color text
> for program code for years...

for me, 1 color is simply not enough.  i want 2 colors -- one for
foreground and another for background.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:00:26 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles

Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Have you ever heard the term, "the best technology doesn't always win on the
> day".

techies never understand that customers do not evaluate products by the
same standards engineers and programmers do.

> UNIX has been around for 35 years, and has never been intended to be run on
> end lusers systems such as yours,

and so long as your mentality prevails they never will be.

> that is why they have stuck with high end
> servers and workstations, the area where the end user has some grey matter in
> their head.

is it your theory that the managers who choose to purchase windows for
business use have no grey matter in thier heads?

> Also, if you were to look at Linux as the Desktop version of UNIX,
> considering it has only been around for 9 years, it has made tremendous inroads
> into the OS market,

'only' nine years
icmtsu

> considering that not only is it competing against UNIX is
> some areas, but the illegally maintained monopoly of Microsoft  in the OS market.

linux = electric cars
do the math

> I also refute those statistics.  Many of them never include the number of
> downloaded copies of Linux, or the "borrowed" copy, or the number of people
> outside the US adopting Linux as their main OS.

yeah and they also leave out pirated copies of windows.
don't assume that a more comprehensive count would work out in your favor.
also, on the desktop side that's gotta be one hell of a linux dark matter
blob to make up for microsoft's 90%+ share...

> It will be rather interesting if
> Linux becomes the defacto standard on chinese computers, and even if Linux has a
> 20% share in the Chinese OS market, that will equal 240 Million copies, thus
> definitely putting  it  a serious position.  Also there is a matter with Red Flag
> Linux, which, if the Chinese government agrees, could become the standard OS used
> on government computers, thus, end users in china will follow suite, and use
> linux as well.

what is the per capita income in china?
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

'big in japan'
- spinal tap

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:57:07 -0400

Anonymous wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking) wrote:
> > Anonymous ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> > : desktop market share
> >
> > : windows 92%
> > : linux 1%
> > : mac 4%
> >
> > : ha haaaw!
> > :                          jackie 'anakin' tokeman
> >
> > You might want to stick with the fat debate where at least being skinny has
> > some health merit.
>
> windows is a pretty cool system. i like it just fine.

Dogshit is pretty cool food.  I like it just fine.

>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> more even than death
> - bertrand russell

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:03:34 -0700

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> I'm using SuSE 7.1 Personal after all my struggles with Mandrake 7.2.
>
> That is not to say there aren't any problems. There are.
>
> In order to get my network working I'm currently starting up DHCP manually.
> I descovered that SuSE telephone support doesn't cover anything except
> basic installation. Apparently, getting your network up is not considered
> basic. Oh well.
>
> I was told to put "dhcpcd eth1" in my boot.local file. I tried this. It
> doesn't work.
>
> Why doesn't it work? I have two network cards. Both are supported, both are
> modules. If I let the system boot they work fine. If I switch on DHCP, oh
> dear, the system gets very confused and tries to assign the wrong driver to
> the wrong network card.
>
> It gets just as bad with the personal firewall. It too starts up _before_
> the network modules are started. Same problem again. But it gets worse. The
> firewall can't cope with DHCP. It doesn't handle the fact that DHCP means
> you don't have a fixed IP address.
>
> So what are the solutions? Build a kernel with the network modules in so
> they're available _before_ firewall and DHCP try to mangle them. Make the
> firewall software change IP address _after_ DHCP has started using some
> kind of script.
>
> (Note: for the brain dead among you, I'm not posting this as a request for
> help. This is an advocacy group after all).
>
> What happens if I install Windows? I have to install device drivers for
> these network cards. Then I set up one as DHCP, one as a fixed address.
> Then it just works. Funny that, isn't it. If I want something that just
> works, use Windows. If I want something that almost works (but requires
> more investigation) then use Linux.
>
> There's an article about SuSE 7.1 is a "windows killer"
> (http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/3052/1/). I'm sorry, but
> with this kind of nonsense, Windows is safe. Microsoft have nothing to
> worry about. Linux is still playing catch up.
>
> --
> Pete
> Running on SuSE 7.1, Linux 2.4, KDE 2.1
> Kylix: the way to go!

Got this neat book you can buy.

"Linux For Dummies" by Phil Hughes

IDG BOOKS

From: Henry_Barta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Article:  Windows XP won't support USB 2.0
Date: 11 Apr 2001 20:11:09 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    [...]
> What BS.  Because you don't percieve that MS isn't concerned about quality,
> they can't possibly be really concerned about it?

    Agreed. At Microsoft, Quality is job 1.1

--
Hank Barta                            White Oak Software Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                   Predictable Systems by Design.(tm)

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:15:29 -0700

jaymz wrote:

> fuck, talk about geeks !

If it weren't for geeks you wouldn't have a plush life-style BOZO!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: 11 Apr 2001 15:05:21 -0500

On 11 Apr 2001 20:11:09 GMT, Henry_Barta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>    [...]
>> What BS.  Because you don't percieve that MS isn't concerned about quality,
>> they can't possibly be really concerned about it?
>
>    Agreed. At Microsoft, Quality is job 1.1

Now THAT is funny!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: 11 Apr 2001 15:09:51 -0500

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:56:07 -0600, Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>aaron wrote:
>> Anonymous wrote:

>> > which one is easier to learn to use?
>>
>> Gnome
>> KDE
>> Common Desktop Environment
>> SunWindows (obsolete, but STILL easier to use than Mafia$oft windows).
>
>the fact you list more than one is itself part of the problem
>if you catch my meaning.
>                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

No way.  It's what makes computing so much fun.  Or would you have everyone
driving EXACTLY that same crappy car (or bike) just to make things easier.
While you're at it, we'd better all start dressing the same too.  Just
picture Bill Gates in a Mao jacket........

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:15:27 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

aaron wrote:
> Anonymous wrote:
> >
> > aaron wrote:

> > > Sun Windows.....for more user-friendly than Mafia$oft windows is today.
> >
> > how much did it cost?
>
> irrelevant.

not to the primary main point it isn't.

> Cost and Ease of use are unrelated.

yes, but if the easier to use system is prohibitively expensive it will
never pose a serious threat to your ancient enemy.
see:
mac

> KDE and Gnome have the best "ease of use" of any GUI's, and both
> of them are FREE.

you write like someone who prefers the command line.

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:18:19 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

aaron wrote:
> Anonymous wrote:
> >
> > T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:06:51
> > > -0600;

> > > Your result does not logically follow from your premise, I'm afraid.
> > > What does ease of use have to do with illegal monopolization?
> >
> > for one thing it's extremely popular and thus affords you the opportunity
> > to enforce the sort of agreements that got microsoft in trouble with the
> > clintonistas.
> > of course you need to understand 'ease of use' from the customer's point
> > of view. something which appears to be impossible (or at least intensely
> > painful) for you.
>
> Just for the record, Devlin is a non-technical person.

define 'non-technical'
incidentally, did you, aaron, buy any red hat stock?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: 11 Apr 2001 15:12:18 -0500

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:23:24 -0600, Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking) wrote:
>> Anonymous ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>>
>> : desktop market share
>>
>> : windows 92%
>> : linux 1%
>> : mac 4%
>>
>> : ha haaaw!
>> :                          jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>>
>> You might want to stick with the fat debate where at least being skinny has
>> some health merit.
>
>windows is a pretty cool system. i like it just fine.
>                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

To each his own.   I think X windows is pretty cool too.  Glad you agree with me.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: 11 Apr 2001 15:15:00 -0500

On 11 Apr 2001 14:23:04 -0500, Jon Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On 2 Apr 2001 18:43:06 -0500, Jon Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >I don't believe you. How about showing us one?
>> >

>> Hey Everybody!  It's Jon!  Hi Jon!
>>
>> You asked, so here ya go:
>>
>> Here are some files from a Windows 2000 Professional system along with
>> the copyright strings that are contained in them:
>>
>> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\finger.exe
>> @(#) Copyright (c) 1980 The Regents of the University of California.
>> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\nslookup.exe
>> @(#) Copyright (c) 1985,1989 Regents of the University of California.
>> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\rcp.exe
>> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
>> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\rsh.exe
>> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
>> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\FTP.EXE
>> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
>>

>Yer right - look at that. Proof from a linvocate - sorry, that caught me off
>guard.
>
>big deal - you don't really consider those commands significant to the rest
>of W2K do you?

Remove them from your W2K system and let us know.