From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: 12 Apr 2001 04:04:08 -0500

> Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > have

California.
California.
California.
California.
California.

> > off

> > rest
> > > >

> > > Remove them from your W2K system and let us know.
> >
> > Finger? never use it.
> > nslookup? I use a GUI 3rd party tool on the RARE occasion I need it
>
> Maybe YOU don't run it from the command line, but EVERY web browser
> relies upon it.
>
> So does telnet, and anything else that uses alphabetic Internet addresses.
>
> Hope that helps, MORON
>
> > rcp and rsh? never need it.
>
> Try removing them from your system, and see how functional your networked
> apps do.

I have no NSLOOKUP.EXE on my system and everything is working fine. No
problems.
You are truely ignorant.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Apr 2001 04:06:09 -0500

> Chad Everett wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:33:26 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > >Maybe YOU don't run it from the command line, but EVERY web browser
> > >relies upon it.
> > >
> > >So does telnet, and anything else that uses alphabetic Internet
addresses.

> > >Hope that helps, MORON

> > >Try removing them from your system, and see how functional your
networked
> > >apps do.

> > >FTP is a foundation-level building block which is used by almost
> > >every network app you use.
> > >

> > Wow. I am surprised to see you make these claims.  Your claims show a
> > lack of basic understanding of networking programming.  See Stevens
> > books: "Unix Network Programming" or "TCP/IP Illustrated". Apps that
> > establish network sockets, do DNS lookups, etc. use library routines
> > (either shared libs/DLLs or statically linked) to do these things.
> > Web browsers, telnet, etc. do NOT use nslookup, or rsh, or rcp, etc.
> > they call gethostbyname(), res_query(), res_search(), etc which are
> > all in libraries.
>
> The typical VisualBasic droid has no access to such routines.

Actually VB programmers have FULL access to calls like those. Had you
actually ever programmed in a modern language you might know of such things.

Go ahead and remove nslookup.exe from your own win98 system and I'll
guarentee it'll still work just fine.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: 12 Apr 2001 04:07:05 -0500

> Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > JJ,  I hardly think that Aaron should feel compelled to go
> > > through an edit-make-post-edit-make cycle just to prove
> > > to a prick-headed little troll such as yourself that he
> > > can obtain and modify source code on Linux.
> >
> > The fact is I do not believe that he even knows what he is talking about
let
> > alone capable of doing it. He claims it's effortless - let him prove it
or
> > shut up.
>
> If I don't know what I'm talking about, then how come THREE different
> people were able to replicate EXACTLY what I described
>
> Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Don't care what they did, i wasn't talking to them  - I'm talking to you,
right in your face at you. I say you are a lying incompetent fool - and I
can count on your next reply to confirm this, I'm sure.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:23:28 -0500
From: "Arthur H. Gold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: New directions for kernel development

Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>         Recently, I've been thinking a lot about where Linux development should
> head now that 2.4 is out. Specifically, I've been thinking about how we
> ought to make some cultural changes as well as technical changes. Now I'm
[snip]

> Thank you,
> --Linus Torvalds

Looks to me that you're about ten days late. That doesn't
even work on the Julian calendar.

--ag
--
Artie Gold, Austin, TX  (finger the cs.utexas.edu account
for more info)

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Apr 2001 04:09:07 -0500

> Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

OS.

> > all

> > > I see that you failed to JUMP as I challenged.  You are a liar.
> >
> > And you CONTINUE to prove you are a useless waste of skin...
>
> I have absolutely NOTHING to gain from recompiling my code for
> a SINGLE post just to satisfy your inane request....especially
> since THREE other people have demonstrated already how easy it is
> to do.

No, the fact that "THREE other people" (your claim) have demonstrated how
easy something is which you cannot do only continues to make you sound
incompetent and a liar. If it's so easy, and you do it to throw people off,
then just go ahead and do it. I thought linux was the common' mans open
source software and getting in to the code is effortless and everyone does
it. a $150k a year genius like yourself should be able to write a script to
do it for you while you sleep...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 03:11:11 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Microsoft Is Giving Neo Maxi Zimdweebies a Migraine
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles

aaron wrote:
> Nigel Feltham wrote:
> >
> > > Oh yeah...I forgot...nobody's buying either of those two overpriced
> > > pieces of shit.
> > >

> > Except those poor unfortunate souls who had it forceably bundled with their
> > hardware - they still bought it even though they probably didn't even get
> > an install CD. Great marketing that - everyone still has to buy a copy of
> > windows with their hardware but have to buy another copy if they ever
> > need to do a re-install.
>
> There's a reason I call it Mafia$oft.

leave the gun
take the install cds
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 03:13:26 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message

aaron wrote:
> Quantum Leaper wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > help
> > >

> > > I just made it up a typical statement that illustrates the utter
> > > uselessness of Mafia$oft's Windows help.
> > >

> > > The fact that you thought it was genuine proves my point about
> > > the utter lack of information in Windows Help.
> > >
> > Unless someone checks,   alot of people will believe it true.    Win98 and
> > Win2K both had information in the help files on defrag,  true is was very
> > short but it does describe what the program function,  it didn't go into how
> > it does it.
>
> Ok..here's the actual text:
>
> Help    keyword to find: defrag
>
> 1. Click here to start Disk Defragmenter.
> 2. Click the drive you want to defragment.
> 3. Click OK.
>

> Anybody who needs this sort of "help" isn't going to be able to figure
> out how to use the Mafia$oft help in the first place.

what was that you were saying about forging your headers to make it
look like you're posting from a windows machine?
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

ha haaaw!

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Has Linux anything to offer ?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:14:18 -0700

Doug Patterson wrote:

> [...]
> > > another like on windows. Application quality in general are less of
> > > those that exist on widnows.
> > >
> > > Let take some examples:
> > >
> > > 1. Using IE 6.0 beta, If I am on a web page, and do 'save', IE is
> > > smart enough not only to save the HTML page itself, but also to
> > > create a subdirectory with all the gif files on that page. This means
> > > when one views the locally saved HTML page later on, it comes up with
> > > all the images intact on it. There is nothing like this on Linux.
> Let's talk about browsers. NetScape 4.7X renders text terribly on my setup.
> Opera renders much better, but doesn't support Java, which NetScape does. I
> haven't found a good browser for Linux that supports Java. If there is one,
> somebody please let me know!
> > >
> > > 2. On windows, I can drag an image from my Visio document to my word
> > > document and have it show up there. There is nothing like this on linux.
> > >
> Amen.
> > > 3. On Windows, when one starts a CD writes, the writes software
> > > automatically scans scsi and ide devices and locates the CD-W device.
> > > On linux, one must compile the kernel and do other hacks to get this
> > > to work.
> > >

> > Not anymore. Modules allows one to add changes to the kernel without
> > rebooting.
> > CD-RW is now part of the more popular distros.  The kernel hacking is
> > never needed with these devices... it was something done a few years
> > ago.  Time changes things.
> >
> > > 4. On linux, each distro has it own way interface and methods of how
> > > to configure and update the system. On widnows there is one way.
> > >
> > > 5. On linux, it is still very hard to get a system working using
> > > anti-aliased fonts, without more user hacks and configurations. On
> > > windows, it comes build in and the user has to do nothing more.
> I still can't figure out how to install any fonts beyond what was installed
> with the OS. When I tried, the font name showed up in the app (StarOffice,
> for example), but displayed only a some system font I couldn't even resize.
> I found conflicting sets of instructions on how to install fonts, all of
> them very complex. With Windows I can drag TTF files into the font folder
> and everything works.
> > >
> > > 6. Printing on Linux is broke. On widnows, setting up a printer requires
> > > no hacks as on linux. It just works.
> > >

> > Printing is easy.  I find that my Epson printer works better under linux
> > than it ever has under windows.  Why did Epson replace windows' print
> > manager with their own?
> > Because the windows print manager does not respond quickly or none at
> > all.  Try like 5 to 10 minutes to stop a print job. (Win9x series)
> >
> RedHat doesn't even come with a driver for my Panasonic KXP-1123 dot matrix!
> Good grief. How basic can you get? It sook some experimentation to find a
> "close enough" driver for my HP DJ810c (works well), but NOTHING works with
> the Panasonic. An still, no USB printing!

USB printing isn't all that good.  HP printers work better over ECP than
USB.  I've tried them both.  ECP provides the two way message support
for single computers.
Use ghostscript... better yet, get the Sams RedHat books.  A lot of good
info in them.
Or you can chuck RH and for $75 get Solaris 8 x86 version.  Check suns
HCL tho first.
The Panasonic KXP is more likely Epson compatible.

> > > 7. On Linux, there are many different desktop environments, each work
> > > differently. Applications written for one, might not work as expected
> > > on another. On windows, there is one way to do it, making developer life
> > > much simpler and users are familiar with how GUI applications are
> expected
> > > to behave.
> > >

> > I've never had a problem with different window managers. I'm using Motif
> > 1.4 and have easily compiled games from other Linux distros without any
> > problems. The underlying core are the X-libs.
> >
> Pick one and stick with it. Gnome is pretty good, if it isn't crashing. KDE
> is worthless; how can an average user figure out the ppp configuration
> porgram? Who the heck knows what PAP is? The help system is totally
> worthless...unless you are experienced with Linux. For a newbie like me
> there is no mercy.

I used the GUI for the ppp config.
Caldera 2.4 seems to have a very good ppp configuration program... and
if you have
a ISP say like ATT or Earthlink, Caldera has the setups for those in a
database... you just click on that service and the area you're in and
thats it.

> > > PERL, python, PHP all exist on windows.
> > >

> > You have to either buy or download these for windows. These are already
> > pre-configured under linux.

> > > CD writer devices come with a FREE cdwrites software  packages
> > > with it in the box, (for windows of course).

> and

> > > There is no commerical DVD player for linux. What is there is
> > > mostly hacks that does not support half of what a commercial
> > > DVD players on widnows support.
> > >

> > I would refute the DVD argument.  Things change over time.  I believe
> > that the current version of Suse and RedHat now have DVD built in.

> > > win2k is VERY stable. The stability claim is getting too old now.
> > > need to find a new one.
> > >

> > Tell that to the space crew up above.  NT crashed quite often.  Only the
> > Russians know what their laptop is running and it didn't crash.
>
> I hardly ever have problems with Win98SE or NT4Sp6. RedHat has been a true
> pain. Gnome locked up so tight that Linux refused to shut down. I had to
> pull the plug. Other times I have had to shutdown and restart X because it
> begins to slow like an overloaded Windows98 system. Also, programs load
> slower than in Windows, and if I'm downloading anything the whole system
> runs in slow motion.

Read up on the virtual terminals.  You can login as root and get rid of
the offending process without rebooting.
The windows versions gives different problems to different hardware
vendors.
In the long run I find it much simpler to administer Sun OS and very
little needed for linux as opposed to the win9x series.  When I download
under Sun I usually download at twice the rate as opposed to windows.

> > > In summary:
> > > -----------
> > > The Linux KERNEL is good. No one can argue about that. But to have
> > > an OS for the end user has nothing to do with the KERNEL. The
> > > main problem with Linux as and end user, is that there is no overall
> > > guiding strategy and design to drive it. Each linux group decide to make
> > > something as they please, a new Linux flavour is out each month. We now
> > > have 75 Linux distro and counting. No standard way to do anything. From
> > > application installation to printer setup to configuring the network.
> > >
> > > It is like being in the kitchen with 20 cooks making one big dinner.
> Each
> > > want to do the dinner their own way.
> > >
> > > Unless this is fundemantly chaned, linux will never compete with windows
> > > on the desktop. windows still claims 90% of the desktop. The reason is
> > > simple. It is simple to use and consistant in the way it works.
> > >
> > > Making something simple and easy to use is something the Linux advocates
> > > find very hard to understand. Users do not want 20 different ways to do
> > > the same thing. Users want the OS to hide the complixity of the machine
> > > from them. Users want an OS that is easy to configure and manage and
> use.
> > >
> > > So far, windows is winning in this area, if it were not, it would not
> > > have 90% market share. (of course, you will blame this on MS marketing,
> > > right?)
> >
> > Right now I get pleas for help in the home windows area.  Always have to
> > defrag their hard drives, boot up in Dos, do a scanreg /fix, and a
> > scanreg /opt.  Depending on the user you have to do this about once a
> > week on various brands of hardware.  I do not call this reliable.  Now
> > people are asking "Is there another machine out there that doesn't use
> > Microsoft?"  Yes, either get one with linux pre-installed, like HP, or
> > buy a Mac.
> > Windows is winning only because of marketing strategy and the usual P.T.
> > Barnum effect.
> >
> > If you don't want to run games, get a 64-bit Sun Blade 100 for $950 with
> > Solaris 8.
> > If you want to run games there is the PCI card for $400 to plug in to
> > run windows.
>
> I have one more to add: software installation. I downloaded WordPerfect 8,
> unzipped it, un"tar"ed it, and it refused to install. Oh, well. Downloaded a
> small GNU-license word processor to upgrade the early version that came with
> RedHat. It said I needed to update several libraries and gave their cryptic
> names. Now what? How much time will it take to hunt these down? To some of
> you guys who lived with Unix since your college days this may be fine, but
> to a small business user who wasn't born with Unix in his genes and who
> needs his tools to work, this way of operating is unacceptable. Windows apps
> just install any needed DLL updates (though that has it's own share of
> problems, but at least you can use the app).

There are some HP users running windows and downloaded ICQ.  ICQ would
then overwrite MFC42.DLL.  HP had added extensions to MFC42.DLL to
support their hardware wizard.
So all is a nightmare if you don't know what you have.  As the MSDN
magazine I used to subscribe to:  THE DLL FROM HELL!

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:17:13 -0700

Chad Everett wrote:

> On 11 Apr 2001 14:23:04 -0500, Jon Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Chad Everett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Hey Everybody!  It's Jon!  Hi Jon!
> >>
> >> You asked, so here ya go:
> >>
> >> Here are some files from a Windows 2000 Professional system along with
> >> the copyright strings that are contained in them:
> >>
> >> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\finger.exe
> >> @(#) Copyright (c) 1980 The Regents of the University of California.
> >> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\nslookup.exe
> >> @(#) Copyright (c) 1985,1989 Regents of the University of California.
> >> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\rcp.exe
> >> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
> >> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\rsh.exe
> >> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
> >> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\FTP.EXE
> >> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
> >>

> >Yer right - look at that. Proof from a linvocate - sorry, that caught me off
> >guard.
> >
> >big deal - you don't really consider those commands significant to the rest
> >of W2K do you?
> >

> Remove them from your W2K system and let us know.

:-))