  Re: Baseball (Anonymous)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:11:47 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Det2
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 12 Apr 2001 04:54:08 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:22:28 +0100, "Russianbear"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>Bah - If there is a God he is no better than a common dictator and there is
>>NO reason at all to worship him.  Anyone who says live by my rules or be
>>punished with death or eternal damnation is an asshole.
>>

>Say that to his face... I dare ya.

And that face is located precisely.....where? :-)

Followups (HINT HINT).

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random deity here
                    Microsoft.  When it absolutely, positively has to act weird.

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:06:59 +0200

Jon Johanson wrote:

>> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\finger.exe
>> @(#) Copyright (c) 1980 The Regents of the University of California.
>> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\nslookup.exe
>> @(#) Copyright (c) 1985,1989 Regents of the University of California.
>> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\rcp.exe
>> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
>> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\rsh.exe
>> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
>> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\FTP.EXE
>> @(#) Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California.
>>

> Yer right - look at that. Proof from a linvocate - sorry, that caught me
> off guard.
>
> big deal - you don't really consider those commands significant to the
> rest of W2K do you?

They are part of W2k and  a essential part two. Take a look at this baby:
http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/win2000/win2ksrv/adguide/addch05.asp
and tell us how would you verify the system mentioned without those

Cheers
PS.. Oh.. BTW after installing PowerPoint from Office2000 W2K requires a
restart.
PPS OhOh.. found a bug in SPC and i wont tell.. hint Outlook 98 and
PowerPoint on W2K and fun things happen :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:13:30 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Joseph T. Adams
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 12 Apr 2001 09:44:09 GMT
<9b3td9$mhj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Russianbear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>
>: Bah - If there is a God he is no better than a common dictator
>: and there is NO reason at all to worship him.  Anyone who says
>: live by my rules or be punished with death or eternal damnation
>: is an asshole.
>

>First of all, God has only two main rules, according to Jesus.  First
>is to love Him.  Second is to love your neighbor.
>
>I don't think those are unreasonable requests.

Depends on how attractive one's neighbor is and whether his or her
SO is willing to allow it....

:-)

Followups (HINT HINT).

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random deity here
                    I was asleep at the switch the rest of the time.

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Big Brother Billy does it again!
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 22:09:59 +0200

Dave Martel wrote:

> Here we go again, folks! From the Wall Street Journal:
>
> <http://www.canoe.ca/MoneyWSJ/wsj2-dow.html>

[cut]

> There's much more of interest in the article, including MS's claim
> that the reason they're doing this is to avoid paying a license fee
> for a higher-quality MP3 encoder. Yeah, sure.

Dont get histeric - its just their software that wont recortd MP3's. Guess
what - it does not do it today and people still use MP3

24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
From: John Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 12 Apr 2001 16:21:48 -0400

This is an indirect link, but it will get you all the editors
discussed here in a readable format.  (Note however that for some
reason XEmacs is listed as NotGNUEmacs...they are entirely different
things, but apparently the web page managers are on crack)

http://www.blockdev.net/Community/Editors/

-John

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:22:23 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: t. max devlin: kook
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles

t. max dumbass:
> Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 9 Apr 2001 12:23:24
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett) wrote:

> >> My good ol' Mom bought a Windows machine three years ago.  She is the
> >> newbie of all newbies.  All Windows users end of being command
> >> line users cause eventually they'll experience a crash or lockup
> >> that requires an "untidy" Windows shutdown (unplug the machine
> >> cause not even the "smart" power switch will work).   Then,
> >> when the machine is rebooting they get the commandline prompt
> >> telling them about how Windows was shutdown is a "untidy" manner
> >> and you have to tell it something about what you want the
> >> system to do with these dangling file thing-a-ma-jigs it has found.
> >> This is the point where I get the call cause my good ol' Mom has
> >> no idea whatsoever about what she's being told and asked to make
> >> a decision about.   The inevitable question is: "Son, why did
> >> the computer do this?" and the inevitable answer: Mom, it just
> >> Windows".... and I get this call EVERY time this happens.
> >
> >thank you for proving my point
>
> You don't have a point.

if you can't see it you aren't quite so clever as you think.

> >> Real user-friendly GUI scenario for a newbie, eh?
> >
> >and that makes the case for linux... how exactly?
>
> Free market competitive development beats "whatever way whoever built
> the proprietary crapware thinks is the right way."

why, if that is the case, haven't the linuxoids trumped microsoft by
completely eradicating the command line trauma so vividly described
above? *
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

* as you really aren't too bright i better spell this out:

completely eradicating means that under no circumstance does the user
ever face the command line, no matter what they want to accomplish

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 13:30:04 -0700
From: Brock Hannibal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Anonymous wrote:

> t. max dumbass:
> > Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 8 Apr 2001 06:30:34
> > -0600;
> > >
> > >i just wanted to see that again
> >
> > And I bet the last thing in the world you wanted was for me to explain
> > it.  You're such a putz, pretending like typing is somehow impossible.
>
> now that you mention it i wonder how many people can type with sufficient
> accuracy to effectively make use of the command line...

All but the most uncoordinated. I only really use a few commands from
the command line. And those few are also available from pull down menus.

> but what i originally had in mind was the difference between memorizing
> a whole series of cryptic commands and just pulling down the menus and
> seeing what they say.
>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman

Some people do better with hieroglyphics others do better with
alphabetical languages.  There is nothing that prevents a Unix user or
the provider of the  Unix-based tools from creating a set of pull down
menus, which then bring up GUI's just like Windows does.

--
Brock

"One thing counts in this life: Get them to sign
 on the line which is dotted...A. Always. B. Be.
 C. Closing. Always Be Closing."

http://www.swingout.net/

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:39:00 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 10 Apr 2001
> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> >> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 07 Apr 2001

> >> Fuck off.
> >
> >Ha!
>
> Fuck off.

Max, you're getting dull and repetitive.

You should try using "Eat shit and die" once in a while.

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:40:55 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 11 Apr 2001
> 18:12:41 -0400;
> >billh wrote:
> >>
> >> "Aaron R. Kulkis"

> >> Your only tools are your "war-hero" self-aggrandizing lies, wannabe.
> >
> >Tell us again your fairy tale about how the Germans, Japanese,
> >North Koreans, Chinese, Viet Cong, and North Vietnamese never
> >shot at red-cross emblazoned American medical personnel.
>
> Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!  Oh, Christ!  What a couple of children.

According to Bill Hudson, he owns me.

Sharper minds know the truth.

:-)

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Icarus)
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:52:29 GMT

On 12 Apr 2001 15:26:39 -0400, Chris Morgan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas Siebert) writes:
>
>> Even today, I'm sure a majority of corporate desktops are Windows 95 or
>> 98.
>
>My limited experience contradicts this - it's more often Windows NT in
>our support calls - so could you back this up, I'm interested, perhaps
>our customers are unusual. Thanks

Just a data point...

I've worked for 3 different companies in the last 18 months (midlife
crisis, I guess...)  Of those:

Company #1) Engineers tend to run NT, while marketroids, sales,
accounting, etc. run 75% Win9x 25% NT.  Firewall is Linux.

Company #2) Engineers split about 75/25 NT/9x.  Those running 9x tend
to dual-boot to Linux.  One guy ran FreeBSD almost exclusively.  Most
non-engineers I encountered ran 9x.  Firewall is Sun.

Company #3) Nobody runs NT.  Everybody runs 9x or (shudder) ME.  One
hardy soul dual-boots to Linux.  I don't know what the firewall is.

FWIW, companies #1 and #2 sell capital equipment that incorporates an
NT host computer.  Company #3 does not.  All three companies are
relatively small, with between 50 and 200 employees.  I ran NT at the
first two companies, but now I'm stuck on 98 (I hate it).  I develop
software, but not for Windoze.  Certain EPROM and Microcontroller
programmers do not run properly under NT because the software is
written to access hardware directly.  This is getting better, but is
still a problem.

Followups trimmed.

Regards,

Icarus
--
The world will little note nor long remember what we say here
                           -A. Lincoln, Gettysberg Address

I Don't Do Windoze.  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:44:14 -0400

Anonymous wrote:

> t. max dumbass:
> > Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 8 Apr 2001 06:30:34
> > -0600;
> > >
> > >i just wanted to see that again
> >
> > And I bet the last thing in the world you wanted was for me to explain
> > it.  You're such a putz, pretending like typing is somehow impossible.
>
> now that you mention it i wonder how many people can type with sufficient
> accuracy to effectively make use of the command line...

Millions of IQ-100 secretaries were able to achieve sufficient
accuracy for DECADES.

> but what i originally had in mind was the difference between memorizing
> a whole series of cryptic commands and just pulling down the menus and
> seeing what they say.

pulling down menus is slow, and leads to tired hand/wrist/arm, and
as such, is ONLY suitable for newbies.

Since most people graduate from newbie stage within a couple of months,
LOCKING them into menus only is a hindrance to productivity AND annoying
to the user.

Why do you think so many Windows users HATE windows.

>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
> men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
> more even than death
> - bertrand russell

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:55:12 -0600
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Baseball
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles

t. max dumbass:
> Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 8 Apr 2001 07:19:39
> -0600;
> >T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 5 Apr 2001 23:39:05
> >> -0600;

> >> Unix, without a doubt.  I've taught ignorant people both, and there is
> >> no comparison.  Unix is more powerful than many people feel comfortable
> >> with, of course, as they're insecure and unimaginative, as they've been
> >> taught to be.  But Unix is undisputably easier.
> >
> >the emperor's new OS
>
> Quite trolling me, you little worm.  You are not EVEN entertaining
> enough to be worth my time flaming.

SCORE!!!!
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

tee hee!