  Re: Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris or Linux? (Larry Rosen)

From: Juergen Keil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris,staroffice.com.support.install.solaris,comp.unix.advocacy,alt.os.unix,alt.unix
Subject: Re: Solaris 8 vs 7/2.x....
Date: 16 May 2001 20:10:15 +0200

"Sphinx367" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> What's the difference between Sun's free-for-download version 8 and the
> previous "professional" versions, like version 2.x and 7?

Here's a list of the new features:

  http://www.sun.com/solaris/fcc.html

You can find more information about new features in solaris 8 on
docs.sun.com:

  http://docs.sun.com/ab2/coll.753.1/S8UPWHATSNEW/@Ab2TocView/276
  http://docs.sun.com/ab2/coll.214.7/SOLREVIEW/@Ab2TocView

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:12:44 -0700

Quantum Leaper wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9ds00i$bhb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS PL" <hi everybody!>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9dqpng$fvt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > And why should there be more people choosing MS desktop OS's?
> > > hmmmmmmm.......Maby because it is a lot better at it?
> >
> > Easy: they don't choose. Go in to your local PC World to buy a prefab
> > computer. Do you have a chice in OS?
> >
> I did ask my friend when I put his new system together,  which OS did he
> want?   Linux which is free,  WinME which I could get for him for about $90
> or Win2K at higher cost (don't remember the quote).   My friend asked me a
> simple question,  he listed a number of games he wanted to run on his New
> computer,  and I told him,  only 2 ran under linux but all of them ran under
> WinME and most ran under Win2K but he would need more memory.    He also
> asked which one was the most stable, my answer was Linux.  (he has had
> stability problems in the past)
> Even though Linux was free,  he still went with WinME.
> So giving the consumer a choice,  might not help Linux.

Well, I'd say that it's the P.T. Barnum effect.
A sucker born every minute.

From: Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:15:54 GMT

wrote:

> Even stupid people can figure out that
> they have choices.

I'll have to take your word for what stupid people can and can't do.

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oracle 8.1.6 on Solaris or Linux?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 19:25:14 +0100

"." wrote:
> Alright dipshit, for the last fucking time:

Have you ever considered addressing people the the respect that they
address you with ?

*sigh*

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:20:18 -0700

Jon Johansan wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > 99.9%

> hours.

> all
> wants
> > >
> > > 5 9s is conservative?
> > >
> > > Show me any proof of such a rediculous claim. Show me ANY unix vendor
> > > promising 6 9s of uptime. ANY OS/ANY hardware. Show me.
> >
> > No UNIX vendor needs to prove it, because most admins know already what
> UNIX
> > can and can't do.
>
> Ooooh, I see... so, proof is for heritics. We unix GODs have no need for
> proof - our disciples rely on faith and the passed down words of mainframe
> monks from history passed...
>
> Silly me for asking that someone prove something they claim - what was I
> thinking...
>
> Of course, we can borrow your logic and apply it to w2k too; W2K admins
> already know that W2K is reliable. We have no need to measure the length of
> our uptimes against others - we leave that for the penis envy crowd.

AHA!! You are a Sheila after all!

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:22:07 -0700

--
The usual smoke and mirrors trick.  From all of the press reports Win2k
isn't near as good as UNIX.  And Linux is still ahead of Win2k.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Kennel)
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:29:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 16 May 2001 05:30:41 -0500, Moon Shyne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:
:"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
:news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> > But the most common vector is not vaginal sex but anal sex, when it
:comes to
:> > sex.
:> >
:> > Rich Soyack
:>
:> Aids is spreading like wild fire in India.  Truckers go from village to
:> village, fucking people as they go, unknowingly spreading aids.  That is a
:> fact.  That is also the same case as what is happening in Africa.
:
:The main causes to the epidemic-like spread of AIDS in Africa are
:a) Shame - people with AIDS are vilified and shunned, and as a result people
:who are HIV positive won't even admit it
:b) lack of medical care - they simply don't *have* the medicines to treat
:the disease
:c) lack of funding to pay for available medical care.

No, those are reasons that the disease is horrible to its victims but have
little relation to its spread.  In fact rapid onset of debilitating disease
is a selection pressure against a virus that spreads sexually.

More likely:

a) effective condoms are too expensive, with, uh, 'alternative sex acts'
   used as contraception.

b) lots of prostitution {many men work far away from their homes & wives}

c) different biology of the HIV strain makes hetero transmission more
   likely

:Haven't you read anything about how the drug companies are finally agreeing
:to cut the cost of available treatments they can send to AIDS victims in
:Africa?  There was a rather lengthy article not that long ago in Time(?)
:magazine.

They are anti-retrovirals, not prophylactic vaccines which would stop
the spread.

--
*        Matthew B. Kennel/Institute for Nonlinear Science, UCSD
*

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:32:02 -0700

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> > matt - you are late to the tread and missed the point.
> > however, gee, you have to ask - got 24 heat producing devices with no
> > cooling and when you come back it's warm? Gosh ! How could THAT happen!?
> > That does not address the difference between how warm it is when there are 8
> > processors versus 12 processors in a single box.
> >
> > then again, visit any colocation center, examine their cooling capacity.
> > their cooling costs are in 5 digits a month - do you really think a few
> > bucks more anyone would notice?
>
> Is that between the ever increasing black outs that are occuring in California?
>
> Matthew Gardiner

It seems that Cal. isn't the only state having troubles with black outs.
We're starting to see some server farms drop off the net for a while
because the server farms aren't being told a rolling black out is
coming.

From: "~¿~" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Erik: What is Wordperfect missing?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:43:49 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > > Just imported a Access table into Paradox without any problems.
Quattro
> > > Pro is handling MS Excel with any formatting issues, and Wordperfect
is
> > > as stable as the pope. Please, yet again I stress, where are the
> > > so-called features that MS Office has that Wordperfect hasn't.
> >
> > That's not what I said.  I said, In-place edit an embedded spreadsheet
> > within the word processing document.  What you are doing is converting
the
> > excel spreadsheet into a database format, which is something totally
> > different.
>
> what part of "Just imported a Access table into Paradox" don't you
> understand?

What part of OLE don't you understand?
(why the hell would *you* use access anyway? isn't it another worthless,
evil product from the Borg?)
In any event, all you're doing is pasting an image (static) of the data into
the document.
You update the data in the source, the data in the document stays the same.
If you embed the same, the link is "live". Changes to the source are
reflected in the document in which you "embedded" a live copy.
D'oh.

Another LinPert telling us how *everything* else in the world works.

------------------------------

From: "Joel Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mercury (was: No More Linux!)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:46:36 -0700

"Rob S. Wolfram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Joel Barnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I like KMail too, but I still think Pegasus is THE best email client.
> >Mercury is a very nice mail server too, both completely free, but alas,
not
> >available for Linux.
>
> You've got to be kidding me! We've had problem to no end with Mercury at
> my POW (mail loops, server abends etc). Our Novell admins are now in the
> process of migrating to NIMS Mail. The only real advantage that one has
> with a Mercury/Pegasus combo is that it enables you to use native IPX to
> talk to the mail server.

Sounds like you're using the NLM version of Mercury. We're using the version
for windows, running it on a W2k pro box. Mail directories are on a Netware
4.1 server. This setup is quite reliable. I have no experience with the NLM
version. We have about 75 users, so I don't know well our setup would scale
to a large user base.

> Also, I don't know if I should blame Mercury or Pegasus for the
> following case, but I suspect the former. User A sends a mail to user B
> (who uses Pegasus as a client and a Mercury server). B "bounces" the
> mail to user C. User C cannot see this in the MAIL FROM envelope header.
> The reverse path is still set to user A. This is clearly incorrect and
> IMHO in violation of rfc821 (now 2821).

I'll check this out. Seems like I remember seeing something about this on
the pmail site or one of the pmail newsgroups.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 01:17:59 +0200

In article <9dsahg$num$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Ayende Rahien" <Don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> > "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > can

>> > No, it doesn't.
>> > Get *some* clue before you post.
>> >

>> Yes, it does. If you want. And if it´s a IBM/390.
>> Get *some* clue before you post.
>
> No ISP will use a s/390 for this, dimwit.
> *No one* will use it for this, for that matter. That is beyond stupid.

http://www.hoise.com/primeur/01/articles/monthly/AE-PR-01-01-20.html

You were saying?

--
Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW last year. An infamous
record. The worst offending piece of SW, by far, IIS. 2001 isn't

------------------------------

From: "~¿~" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:53:30 GMT

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> Just imported a Access table into Pardox without any problems. Quattro
> Pro is handling MS Excel with any formatting issues, and Wordperfect is
> as stable as the pope. Please, yet again I stress, where are the
> so-called features that MS Office has that Wordperfect hasn't.

Not to get into a pissing match over features here, but uh, it's obvious
that your spreadsheet doesn't have anything in the beyond standard formulas.
It couldn't have:
VBA macros
OLE
Excel Pivot tables
Complex 'what if' scenarios
I could go on and on ..

The point is, that, if it is a standard "works for dummies" spreadsheet
(which I'm thinking it is), then no problem. If it's something used in a
professional capacity, such as a Real Estate business that puts everything
into Excel workbooks, then forget it. You're not doing your Advocacy any
favors by perpetuating this sort of blatant BS. Just tell it like it is:
Corel for Linux will handle the importing of  MS office files if said files
don't include any of the more advanced features of that software. Your
manure is getting thick, as is your lack of knowledge on concepts such as
OLE.

------------------------------

From: "Dan Serban" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:56:07 GMT

Are you 12?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Rosen)
Date: 16 May 2001 18:38:16 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote in <9dsvo3$jsi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> I'm not saying that the 2.4 kernel sucks, you bitchass nutslap.  I'm
>>> saying that I can get it to lock consistently.  I can also get the
>>> FreeBSD kernel to lock, the BeOS kernel, windows NT 4.0, 2000, 98,
>>> ME, XP, and also Solaris 7 and 8, HP/UX and SCO.  A lockable kernel
>>> doesnt mean its a piece of shit, it only means that I could get it to
>>> do something that you insinuated might not be possible.  :)
>>>

>> How do you go about locking up say Solaris then??
>
>Easiest way is to fill up swap on bland installs...:)
>
>Ive also done it with poorly written opengl applications.
>

>-----.

The swap on my Solaris box has filled up, OS didn't lock.  It stopped doing
many processes until I released swap space and it kept right on running
normally.