Linux-Advocacy Digest #734, Volume #33           Fri, 20 Apr 01 19:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure (Chad Everett)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Chad Everett)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Red Hat has become scary? (Nils Zonneveld)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Nomen Nescio)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Edwin")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Edwin")
  Re: Red Hat has become scary? (Chad Everett)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Nomen Nescio)
  Re: Red Hat has become scary? (Chad Everett)
  Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1 (Nigel Feltham)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Nomen Nescio)
  Re: What's the point ("spicerun")
  Re: What's the point (Roy Culley)
  Re: What's the point (Roy Culley)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Nomen Nescio)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (Nomen Nescio)
  Re: Perl and Tcl/Tk: How important are they? (Aaron Ginn)
  Re: Microsoft gets hard ("Jon Johansan")
  Re: The X-Box and monopoly was: Blame it all on Microsoft (Piercarlo Grandi)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) (Ace Agincourt)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: 21 Apr 2001 16:49:45 -0500

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:58:52 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>webgiant wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 06:11:02 GMT, "Electric Ninja" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >on

>> >For getting work done I love Win2000 like a charm but I'm scared to death to
>> >have something like that running one of our aircraft carriers.
>>
>> Wasn't that USA-China gaffe over a NAVY spyplane?
>
>After looking at the whole thing... it was a deception.  Its a trick..
>We gave China Windows XP!!!  ;-)

The Chinese don't want Windows XP, or Windows anything.  They are going hog-wild
with Red Flag Linux cause they're tired of being dependent on Windows.  Now if
only the US Government would wise up.  At least the NSA has the brains to go with
Linux.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: 21 Apr 2001 16:51:07 -0500

On 20 Apr 2001 20:37:40 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey) paused from prancing about in frilly
>>undergarments long enough to stick a gerbil in his bum and write:

>>> You write like someone who doubts their sexuality, it's normally the ones in
>>> the closet who go around calling everyone else homosexual.
>>
>>that's something homosexuals say
>
>Only insecure people care about others' tastes.

Give him a break.  He's a welfare recipient.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: 20 Apr 2001 21:58:43 GMT

Chad Everett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 20 Apr 2001 20:37:40 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey) paused from prancing about in frilly
>>>undergarments long enough to stick a gerbil in his bum and write:

>>>that's something homosexuals say
>>
>>Only insecure people care about others' tastes.
>
>Give him a break.  He's a welfare recipient.

Who cares?

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Nils Zonneveld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:00:44 +0200

WesTralia wrote:

> > After seeing the elections, I would be very scared to be an American
> > citizen esp. when a court car over ride the peoples will.
> >
> > Matthew Gardiner
>
> If you are to continue making disparaging comments about America and her
> people at least do so with correct spelling and sentence structure.
>
> In other words, you are not exactly making New Zealand look like the
> educational mecca of the world.

Besides the fact that spelling flames are quite lame, what exactly was
wrong with his spelling? I admit that English is not my native language
but I found no spelling errors nor had I difficulty following his
sentence structure.

And about the 'disparaging comments': the USA sees itself as the
'leading' nation of the world. That's fine and all but high trees catch
a lot of wind. Or like the french say, 'noblesse oblige'.

Nils

------------------------------

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:10:29 +0200 (CEST)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (dullard) minced:
> On 20 Apr 2001 20:37:40 GMT, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey) paused from prancing about in frilly
> >>undergarments long enough to stick a gerbil in his bum and write:

> >>that's something homosexuals say
> >
> >Only insecure people care about others' tastes.
> >

> Give him a break.  He's a welfare recipient.

prove this claim.
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
- bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: "Edwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:22:52 -0500

"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9bnkg3$a8qhr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > The problem is not that Windows or Office are bad software. They aren't.
> > Windows and Office are both fabulous.
> >

> Yes I particularly love the way it regularly crashes just when you are
> about to save the past 2 hours work and lose it all - great feature that.

You must have the special "Mac advocate" versions of Word and MS-Office.
The versions I have do auto saves at intervals I can set.    Even if you had
to do manual saves, anyone who isn't a complete doofus won't wait two hours
to do a save of their work.

Edwin

------------------------------

From: "Edwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:25:21 -0500

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9bolc7$a8u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > The problem is not that Windows or Office are bad software. They aren't.
> > Windows and Office are both fabulous.
>
> Hahahahah!
>
> Windows and office are _appauling_ products!

Of course.  That's why so many people buy them, because they want to be
appalled.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 21 Apr 2001 17:25:04 -0500

On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 22:29:21 +1200, Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><snype>
>>
>> Actually a lot of americans ask this same question... why us?
>> (policemen)  The corruption is so deep and wide spread that its no
>> wonder when an american goes overseas for a vacation that we get spit
>> on.  Its really sad that we have no control over them.  Its like it
>> doesn't matter anymore at the voting booth.
>> --
>After seeing the elections, I would be very scared to be an American
>citizen esp. when a court car over ride the peoples will.
>
>Matthew Gardiner

It's a good thing the US Supreme Court didn't do this though.  They
upheld the people's choice by not allowing the Democrats in Florida
to manufacture votes only in counties they thought they could
control the voting in.  In the US, our presidents are elected by
the Electoral College.  In turns out, of course, after some of the
media recounts done in the last couple of months that Bush did,
in fact, win Florida...and the Electoral College.   Of course
everyone knew this in November too.

By the way, when are you New Zealanders going to get a constitution?

------------------------------

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:31:34 +0200 (CEST)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina) wrote:
> Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey) paused from prancing about in frilly
> >undergarments long enough to stick a gerbil in his bum and write:

> >> You write like someone who doubts their sexuality, it's normally the ones in
> >> the closet who go around calling everyone else homosexual.
> >
> >that's something homosexuals say
>
> Only insecure people care about others' tastes.

windows is a pretty cool system. i like it just fine.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 21 Apr 2001 17:32:27 -0500

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:34:48 +1200, Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><snype>
>> The only xenophobe is you toward the people of the USA.  Give it a
>> rest, kook.  Your constant whinning is proving you to be nothing
>> more than pathetic.
>>
>> I seriously doubt that someone of your "skills" could cut it in a
>> computer science degree program at a US college.  Maybe this is
>> where that big chip on your shoulder comes from?
>>
>> The US is very competitive and attracts the brightest minds from
>> around the world.  Perhaps, this intimidates you just a tad?
>>
>> Patrick Becker, M.D.
>
>Hell no, I'm not intimidated. I am not xenophobic either.  To be totally
>correct, what attracts many of the brightest people from places such as
>Eastern Europe and Asia is the attractive pay, compared to the miserable
>$US50 they would otherwise get if they lived in Russia or the Czech
>Republic.  What I am pointing out is the naivety the general populous
>show to the world around them.  For example, you look at CNN and the
>TIME magazine.  TIME, a magazine that supposedly is meant to be the news
>of the world, yet for 3 fucking months I had to put up with, George Bush
>this and George Bush that! as if the whole world had come to a grinding
>halt during the elections. Hello? people are dying in Africa, East Timor
>and South America, yet the biggest story is whether George Debwya Bush
>gets in!

Yeah!  Those New Zealand magazines sure did step up to the plate when they
needed to, huh?

>Don't get me wrong, I have visited the US, and like every country, there
>are good points and bad points, however, I do get pissed off when people
>elevate the US, in fact any country, to a status higher than god. When
>students who leave school who have no concept of the rest of the world.
>Don't even know the names of politicians from overseas let alone where
>the US's major trading partners are located! then people should start to
>be concerned about where their country is heading. Need I say more after
>watching the 60 minutes report in regard to US students.
>
>Matthew Gardiner

You go guy!  New Zealanders rule!  Well...they rule New Zealand anyway.

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:50:22 +0100

>         P.s.  Ya Windoze might have better games, but why buy a $1.5K
>         piece of
> silicon to play games when you can buy a PSX2 for $300?

Linux has several good free games though such as pengus ( linux with
penguins ) , Tuxcart (mariocart with penguins) or chromium ( similar to
xenon - no penguins in this one).

All of these were included in my distro (mandrake 7.2) - now were are the
similar quality games on my windows distro CD, the only ones I can find on
there are minesweeper, hearts and solitaire, all of which were also
included for linux on my mandrake CD.

------------------------------

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:40:43 +0200 (CEST)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina) eeped:
> Chad Everett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>Only insecure people care about others' tastes.
> >
> >Give him a break.  He's a welfare recipient.
>
> Who cares?

my victims

From: "spicerun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:56:00 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Roy Culley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Don't mention it and thanks for 'correcting' my spelling. Anyone running
> RehHat is in a far better position for installing apps because there are
> RedHat rpm's available for almost every app version upgrade that comes
> out. The reason I gave up on SuSE is because new SuSE rpm's for later
> versions are very slow to appear. No problem if the app isn't distro
> specific but many times it is. Until Linux has a unified file system
> structure and standardised boot sequence this problem will exist. In the
> majority of cases you don't need to refer to HOWTO's for most Linux
> apps. You are just exagerating.

Not as much as you are implying.  True, I haven't looked at "thousands of
HOWTOS", just a few of them.  One of the reasons I've had to scramble to a
few of those HOWTOs was because whatever I installed (I usually compile my
apps) didn't work right away.  I just can't tell you the feeling I get
when I find a HOWTO, then discover RedHat has a HOWTO also that isn't the
same since it has these little tweaks that aren't mentioned anywhere in
the distro-neutral HOWTO.  ppp on RH7.0, for example, is one of these
applications that I had to find RedHat's specific HOWTO to make it work.
Very Irritating.

> If I
> really need the latest version of an app I will build it from source.

I really prefer to build from source....just as long as I can get all of
the sources I need (and not have to compile more than 4 libs before I can
compile the app).

> This isn't a good solution however if Linux is to be adopted by your
> average PC user.

Well, Get Ready....Windows XP is fixing to give us a lot more average PC
users trying out Linux.

Have a good weekend.  Regards.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:25:45 +0200

        Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> <snype>

reference to this bit lost due to '<snype>':

>> But filesystems like ext2fs are far more brittle when it comes to improper
>> shutdowns than FAT.  On large disks, fsck can take hours to complete after a
>> power outage, and it can lose quite a bit of data.

Far more brittle than what? Yes fsck takes a while on large partitions but
not a rediculous amount of time. With FAT you don't know what damage has
been done and what has been corrupted.

>> Where the filesystem is concerned, ext2fs users should not throw stones in
>> their glass house.
> I don't use ext2fs.  I use Reiserfs, and yes, there are some Linux
> purists who refuse to move to Reiserfs because they want to remain
> commerical free, hence, they download gigs of debian crap to prove
> something, aka, "look everyone I got Linux for free", when in actual
> fact, I don't mind shelling out $200 for a piece of software, and as it
> works out, Linux is a superior piece of software when compared to
> Windows.

I moved to a Debian based distro several months ago. The best thing I
have ever done and I've been using Linux since 1994 starting off with
SLS from floppies (over 70 before I decided it was time to invest in
a CD drive). :-)

I have spent a lot of money on Linux apps. I bought accelerated X 1.x
when my graphics card wasn't supported under XFree. I bought RedHat
Office Suite (basically applixware) when I wanted a decent desktop
office suite. This was my first introduction to RedHat (version 5.0)
and its installation was a breeze. I've since bought several SuSE and
RedHat distro's, Applixware 5 and Accelerated X 5 (as it handles
overlays which I need for some X clients that only work on 8bpp
displays. I'm not ashamed to promote a commercial application
here. XiG, the developers of Accelerated X, produce an outstanding
product with the simplest X configuration I have ever used). I will
buy rather than download any commercial Linux software that I need as
I want these companies to survive. Not all, and I'm sure most, Debian
lovers are totally averse to buying commercial software.

We agree that Linux is a far superior piece of software when compared
to Windows. I think we agree that it is worth paying for good commercial
Linux software whether it is a Linux distribution or an application.
Just don't knock those of us that have found Debian (or most especially
those commercial distro's based on Debian) to be the best Linux distro's
around.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 23:33:11 +0200

In article <p2BD6.4999$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Reiserfs is still not 100% as I understand it.  Still minor bugs and
> problems with the kernel.

Instead of writing your usual FUD why not try reiserfs? I've used it
since it was a patch to the 2.2 kernel. It is excellent considering
the journaling was added late on in its development (many thanks to
SuSE here who have pushed this and supplied devlopment resources). Is
any software 100%? Reiserfs is very close.

------------------------------

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:50:46 +0200 (CEST)

"allan" <@netvigator.com> wrote:
> "Ian Davey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> take a
> > >
> > >you write like a homosexual
> >
> > You write like someone who doubts their sexuality, it's normally the ones
> in
> > the closet who go around calling everyone else homosexual.
>
> Just cool down here guys.  This is supposed to be "support" newsgroup

are you, allan, retarded?

From: Nomen Nescio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:51:12 +0200 (CEST)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (LinuxBear) oinked:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:09:24 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > allan wrote:
> >>
> >> Just cool down here guys.  This is supposed to be "support" newsgroup
> >>

> > What the fuck are you talking about?
> >
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >

> you are charming as always, Aaron

true.
but it's still a good question.

From: Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Perl and Tcl/Tk: How important are they?
Date: 20 Apr 2001 15:32:05 -0700

> Michael Vester wrote:

> > Depends on what you are doing. I invested time in learning Perl. It can do
> > anything the shell and much, much more. Also, Perl is on just about every
> > Unix/Linux system out there.  Start at www.cpan.org

A perhaps pedantic example of Perl not being able to do everything a
shell can do...

You can't change an environment variable other than for child
processes.  You have to use a shell to do this.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head, though.

--
"Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse."
   Larry Wall, 14 Oct 1998

------------------------------

From: "Jon Johansan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Microsoft gets hard
Date: 20 Apr 2001 18:02:15 -0500

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > <snype>
> > >
> > > Admin NT servers, the most astound things? my guess, getting them to
> > > stay up for longer than one week whilst maintaining the same
throughput.

> > > Answer the question sonny. Until you start admining s/900z, s/390, and
> > > clusters of UNIX servers, I suggest that you should keep your trap
shut.

> > Now that is funny - I love it when the best come back a unix-nut has is:
> > until you've suffered as I've suffered and continue to suffer you are
> > nothing. The fact you can do what I can do in 1/4 the time with 1/8th
the
> > effort means you _obviously_ must be an idiot and I am a genius for
slaving
> > away working on much bigger and more compliated proprietary hardware.
> >
> > as if run time had anything to do with throughput - silly...
> Nope, I can just setup a server and mainframe and it just keeps on
> work'in, where as the poor o'l NT admin is praying that the server wont
> suddenly in the middle of the night crash because of a minor issue.  I
> can get things done 3 times faster in that I don't need to keep hanging
> around making sure the darn thing doesn't crash.  With UNIX, you setup,
> test, they fuck off home in the knowledge that it will just keep on
> work'in.

My experiences competely disagree with yours. I run Ghost and install from
an image onto a new hardrive. W2K boots up, detects all the hardware and
uses DHCP to get on the net. I change the machine name and on it goes. Then
it runs and runs and runs...  99.99% uptime is effortless and considered our
norm. Much more commonly the ONLY reboots occur for hardware related issues
or hotfixes that require a (planned) reboot. We've never had a W2K crash.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: The X-Box and monopoly was: Blame it all on Microsoft
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Piercarlo Grandi)
Date: 21 Apr 2001 00:08:18 +0100

>>> On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 04:34:28 +0000 (UTC),
>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Douglas Siebert) said:

[ ... ]

dsiebert> MS probably doesn't want to do this, because they'd really anger Dell
dsiebert> and the other OEMs, who might get more friendly towards alternatives
dsiebert> like Linux (or theoretically Apple, since OS X could be made to run
dsiebert> on x86 hardware, but Apple seems resigned to maintaining their small
dsiebert> market share)

Particularly since their latest deal with Microsoft, Apple are basically
``owned'' by Microsoft; I guess that Apple know very very well that they
exist at Microsoft's whim (whim that looks to me transparently motivated
by their desire to keep a token ``competitor'' barely alive). Perhaps
Apple are not resigned, and might dream of being bigger again, but they
gotta be, or else. 1984 is the year they ended up stuck in. :-)

dsiebert> If Sony starts the fight, MS will feel they have to defend
dsiebert> their monopoly.

I'd say that Sony have started the fight, by presenting the PS2 as a
general home computing platform; and I have noticed that as soon as
Microsoft hear ``platform'', they charge, because controlling platforms
is their very business model.

------------------------------

From: Ace Agincourt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:11:05 +0100

Hi Roberto,

On 20 Apr 2001 18:40:28 GMT,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
put fingers to keyboard and tapped away writing:

? billh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
? >
? >"Roberto Alsina"
? >
? >> You apparently don't know what absurd means.
? >> You say it's not murder because it's not unlawful, right?
? >
? >No.  I said killing in war is not murder, is not unlawful, is not immoral,
? >and is not unethical.
? >
? >You chose to believe that means I said, "it's not murder because it's not
? >unlawful."  Something I've never said
?
? Murder is by definition unlawful. Therefore, if you say killing at war
? is not unlawful, the alleged lawfulness of the killing is sufficient
? cause for the killing not to be murder.

Serbia was at war with the Kosovas.  Are you claiming that the mass
murders did not occur.  Also, Hitler went to war against the Jews.
Are you a holocaust denier?

?
? Therefore, you, in the paragraph above, have said (among other things)
? "killing at war is not murder because it's not unlawful".
?
? Now, whether you can see what you said or not, is not my problem.
?
? >The two are not the same.
?
? No, not the same, but one implies the other. And you said enough
? to imply what I said you said.

Best wishes, Ace.

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,